Reuters

Reuters Reviews

Updated Jun 25, 2014

Reuters CEO, Thomson Reuters Corporation James C. Smith

James C. Smith

Great company to work for.

Development Analyst (Former Employee)
    Stamford, CT

ProsExcellent pay, time off, dedicated to the customer, invests in technology, trains staff, provides timely feedback to employees, Employee stock plan was worth investing.

ConsNeed to clean house more often to achieve a higher level of technical ability. A better bonus would make this company inline with others.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in new talent to teach the current employees.

Too many people doing too little work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe brand. If you are good at politics rather than substance this is a great company to work for. It seems like everything is done through that political prism. Its an expensive and costly prism to work in on both sides.

ConsDoing the most basic of things take an act of god. Tons of red tape along with unnecessary and harmful dependencies strewn about the system which means doing anything to improve the system is virtually impossible because its too risky.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll that glitters is not gold.

Good, not great

Senior Technical Manager (Former Employee)

ProsLot of smart, talented people
    Great diversity
    Solid benefits

ConsBelow average pay
    Disconnects between certain business units
    Egos galore

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Clear expectations, steady work

ProsSupportive editors - very difficult to find these days

ConsPay per article is a bit low

Creativity Highly Appreciated

Marketing Production Specialist (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe location of the NYC site is ideal! A very laid-back yet business assertive environment.

ConsEmployees uninformed of organizational changes, which have a direct effect on their title and position, up until a physical move was ordered.

Advice to Senior ManagementTenure at managing a process does not automatically make someone fit to manage people.

A massive company, but with a global newsroom as nurturing as my first local paper.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEven after staff-cuts and union friction, Thomson Reuters kept competitive newsroom salaries/benefits for reporters, and offered great space for professional growth beyond "hard work." Senior editors expected as much. They valued innovative content strategists, passionate storytellers, those story-obsessed — and at every experience level. Staff enjoyed the likes of travel/location-swaps, of editorial support for personal initiatives I know my peers were not experiencing elsewhere in journalism.

Especially memorable: as global economic mayhem upped our newsroom hours/deadlines, I seldom saw my colleagues decline to teach (and reteach) fellow staff when asked.

ConsUnion realities. Editors (save the desk/copy edits who file most stories) aren't unionized, making it hard for mentorship, which happens naturally in journalism. There is always distance between employee and manager, but the union divide made that relationship tougher than it had to be, definitely when airing a grievance.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, really! It's just a giant company and had a rigid hierarchy up top it seems. Still working innovative strategies, too.

Great Company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood flexibility at work and good pay structure

ConsNo balance between work and family life..

Advice to Senior Managementshould act more pro actively, to many road blocks, for an associate to grow.

Reuters could be a really good place to work if there wasn't bureaucratic in trying to get anything done at all.

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsDivisions I worked in was great.

ConsThe divisions are silos where it is difficult to get things done. Every division has its own agenda.

Advice to Senior ManagementCutback on meetings

Network Controller

Network Controller (Former Employee)
    Hauppauge, NY

ProsGreat people and management, opportunity for advancement

ConsSometimes when people leave, they will not rehire positions, leaving the team short staffed and you have to work a ton of overtime to get the job done.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure each department is adequately staffed so that you don't burn people out.

Change in the wind

Management Level (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsI've been here for about five years and have often been frustrated by how slowly things move. Great culture, great people, and a sense of mission - but slow to change. But something is going on over the last 4-6 months. I've started to see decisions being made much faster, big investments that they actually follow through on, more focus on making sales successful and a lot of investment in technology. Based on what I hear from friends who work with the competition (AP) - it looks like we're going to kick ass.

ConsNot for everyone - but reasonably long hours and we're a small piece of a much bigger company. Sometimes feel like we're the orphan in the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhatever has changed - keep it up. Morale is higher, the energy level has palpably increased. Things are happening faster. Dumb stuff is getting cancelled instead of dragging on. Some new team members that look really great.

Worked for Reuters? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Reuters reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Reuters CEO James C. Smith. All 34 reviews posted anonymously by Reuters employees.