Revel Consulting

Revel Consulting Reviews

Updated Jun 18, 2014

Revel Consulting CEO Vikas Kamran

Vikas Kamran

Pros
  • they are understanding about having a work/life balance(in 6 reviews)

• Boutique firm/smaller company so more opportunity to make an impact(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing at such a rapid pace that sometimes there are informational gaps between leadership and associates(in 5 reviews)

• Work/Life balance - worked past 12am some nights(in 4 reviews)

Great place for those who are tired of the corporate ladder but still seeking professional excellence

Senior Associate (Current Employee)

ProsRevel has a great culture w/lots of fun, smart people. The compensation and benefits are competitive, especially if you consider that the work is not nearly as demanding as the bigger firms (no travel, reasonable hours, great life/work balance, etc.). For being such a small firm it invests impressively in its people, with training funds, seminars, meetups, lunches, etc, all part of the standard program. There is a core belief that if you hire good people and give them the space and flexibility to perform, they will reciprocate and exceed expectations-- thus far it seems to be working! The work is largely in the project management space but as Revelers gain client's trust more interesting design/strategy pieces are forthcoming. The HQ has a fun open vibe and many Revelers check in here at least every couple weeks; it also provides good support to the consultants in the field. Revel hires an interesting mix of backgrounds, believing more in the need to get generally smart people that fit w/the firm culture than people with specific skill sets for the immediate project in question. Refreshingly flat hierarchy; lots of smart very committed people but surprisingly few egos-- having worked in a number of private and public sector entities I can safely say it is the best place I've worked thus far.

ConsSome of the Revelers are fairly disconnected from the rest of the firm (and HQ) and may spend months working on a project without much support-- however this is usually more their choice than by HQ design. More effort is being made to create a "firm culture" and provide regular outreach/touchpoints with everyone, to increase the benefits of working together across a firm. Some projects are more interesting than others and you often don't have a lot of choice, as in most consulting firms (unless you actually sell the work). Engagements are typically longer due to the fact that they are often re-engineering/implementing business processes in larger firms, rather than simply delivering strategies. This is both a pro & a con as one gets to see more of how the clients actually work (by working alongside them instead of just for them). Also for those below the management tier there isn't always a lot of transparency around the firm strategy/goals and progress.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall great work moving towards the "One Revel" strategy; the culture seems to be improving with the addition of more internal activities for Revelers. Continue fostering a culture that promotes openness and feedback.

Just another contract company

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsReasonable pay and good medical benefits.

ConsYour just another number. Don't expect them to find you another role when your contract ends. No vacation pay or matching 401K.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that those that work for you are people not just another number.

Revel Consulting Associate responded to this review

Jul 2, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. As Revel continues to grow and evolve, candid feedback like yours helps us refine our navigation and ensure all of the exciting changes we’ve ... More

Small but doing big things!

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsWork Life balance, flexible work schedule, Good compensation, Valuable networking events, entrepreneurial culture encouraging innovative problem solving methods.

ConsCareer progression not clear for junior associates. Sometimes associates are scheduled on a project because of the need rather than the associates interest/passion.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing all the activities you are currently doing - Foundry, leadership lunches, happy hour collaboration meetings, Community involvement activities.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Creative environment for the aspiring consultant

Senior Associate Consultant (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThere are many career opportunities and management encourages its people to pursue their interests. Great collaborative environment with exciting possibilities and talent.

ConsThis free-spirit environment may not fit with those who are used to a lot of structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to assign structure where necessary to benefit the overall experience

Progressive and Innovative Culture!

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Kirkland, WA

ProsExperienced and motivated colleagues make tackling large and dynamic challenges exciting. At the core Revel values innovation and agile learning, and the management team invests heavily in developing learning opportunities and a framework for advancing the Pure Consulting model.

ConsRevel’s steady growth rewards those are intentionally managing their career development and goals - you need to be proactive. Revel's expertise with a few local tech companies is great and continues to grow but it needs time and focus on broadening across multiple industries and clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue leading development and learning opportunities.

Fun, autonomous and progressive

Associate (Current Employee) Kirkland, WA

ProsI've only spent a few short months at Revel, but from the start, I was challenged and pushed to maximize my abilities/experience and strive for more knowledge. Leadership definitely allows younger Associates to drive the future of the firm. You are pushed to better yourself and improve your skills in a very positive way and your career is definitely in your own hands. Revelers have the opportunity to see REAL change in the business both internally and externally. Curiosity and refining your craft are promoted and employees truly embody a great autonomous culture.

ConsRevel is still building and it shows in some areas. But what smaller firm isn't? What smaller firm doesn't struggle sometimes in growth periods? There are natural pros and cons to this. If you enjoy ambiguity and processes that are still a little loose but are on the way to becoming more stable, then this is the firm for you. You have the power to input ideas and see them grow. Mentoring could be stronger, but again, if you seek it out, it is there.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing Associates and Senior Associates to maximize their autonomy. Continue to work with them to define career paths and opportunities for growth.

Typical office/consulting work with flashes of genius.

Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Kirkland, WA

ProsThe individuals at Revel are all passionate people, who really put their time towards getting things done and meeting with others when not on a client engagement.

ConsThe company is still growing in size so at times people will be waiting on bench to figure out where they are going next. At times it also felt that people left incredibly abruptly which was noticeable.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe vision from Vikas is wonderful, just keep working at bringing that in to the day-to-day culture.

Fast-paced client-centric management consulting in a great setting.

ProsGreat project opportunities, interesting clients, smart and motivated colleagues. A very dynamic entrepreneurial culture with great team spirit. Smart motivated leadership who are very involved at all levels. Doesn't have the same rigidity of large consulting companies, not to mention the expectation of weekly travel. You also have considerable opportunities to carve out you own niche.

ConsAs a fast-moving growing company, it's not always clear where the company is going.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication around overall direction and plans would be great. Also, since things change, it is important to provide reinforcing communication as well. People seem to have quite different opinions about how the company really works.

Great Company to Work For!

Associate (Current Employee) Kirkland, WA

Pros-Great company culture
    -Management is involved and looks out for your career goals
    -Coworkers are impressive and always willing to help
    -The projects are engaging and satisfying
    -Project managers know how to lead rather than just manage
    -Autonomy in work done, you really make your own success

Cons-There is not enough women hires for diversity
    -The company is growing quickly and is creating a good company culture, it needs to continue these efforts

Clients and company culture come first

Senior Associate Consultant (Current Employee) Kirkland, WA

Pros- While most consulting companies have a tendency to force associates into specific specialties, Revel wants its employees to have a diversified experience and learn from multiple industries
    - The company is consistently innovating while staying in touch with the latest trend analysis, vertical best practices and methodologies
    - Vibrant corporate culture with employees who enjoy spending time with each other
    - A focus on team and client success rather than individual accomplishments
    - An open culture where all opinions are valued on projects
    - Active philanthropist culture through sustainable giving programs

Cons- The company is growing at such a rapid pace that sometimes there are informational gaps between leadership and associates

Advice to Senior Management- Continue to find inventive ways of getting associates involved with internal projects

Worked for Revel Consulting? Contribute to the Community!