Revel Systems Reviews

Lisa Falzone

Just like Office Space, but without Jennifer Aniston

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Nowhere, OK
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Nowhere, OK

I worked at Revel Systems part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food, travel, bar in the office (which you will need).

Cons

Hard to know where to begin. Took six separate interviews and over a month and a half to land the job. They could probably find a CEO in less time (which they should). My immediate manager (third one in six months), was great. One of the nicest guys I have ever worked with. CEO was clueless and immature. CTO was just plain creepy. Would not want to be left alone in a room with either one of them.

Product was extremely buggy. They hire a crack team of Romanian programmers who are constantly "improving" the product, but each improvement breaks something else that was previously working. Product is extremely complicated, frustrating and counter intuitive. Customers constantly calling support in a panic after losing thousands of dollars in receipts, and the only solution is to delete and reinstall the app.

Worked in support until I was asked to spend a week training my outsourced replacements in Manila. Was told to my face by the CEO that my job was secure, then laid off the next day. Honestly, I couldn't have been happier.

And oh yeah, like everyone says, most of the positive reviews are fake. I saw them submitting one myself when I worked at the main office. You can always tell the fake reviews because everything is spelled wrong.

Advice to Management

Why bother giving advice. They wouldn't listen anyway.

a place that sets you up for failure

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Revel Systems as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

free lunches, snacks, and drinks

Cons

bad coffee. they use those pod machines that makes weak coffee. if they want everyone to come in early and work long hours, they need to supply better strong coffee.

pretty much everything all the 1 and 2 star reviewers wrote. loud, noisy and disorganized. everyone's always talking loud and over each other. if you need peace and quiet to focus on work sometimes, forget it. they actually make you feel weird if you're at your desk working and not socializing like everyone else blabbing about their love lives as most employees are young and single thus the juvenile frat-like atmosphere. the faster you work and get things done, the more work they give you without much complimenting and acknowledgement from management. expect to be assigned projects without barely any background info, directions, guidance and unreasonable deadlines as well as repercussions if you dont meet them. this place puts you in a no-win situation and sets you up for failure.

Advice to Management

treat your employees better. employees are your friends, not the enemy. without them, you cant get your job done and get the credit from executives. if you share the work and also share the credit, everyone will be happier.

Don't believe the positive reviews, they aren't real, and you do not want to work at Revel

I worked at Revel Systems

Pros

Easy commute to work, that's all I can think of.

Cons

Revel has an OK product, but it's way overpriced and their customer service is a joke. It's also somewhat buggy, and new versions don't seem to make it better. This is why they will never be the dominant player in this marketplace. There is a lot of fear in the atmosphere because everyone's afraid of being reprimanded or fired at the whim of the dictator/CTO who has the biggest ego of anyone I've known.

Advice to Management

None, you wouldn't do anything.

By far, the worst place to work...ever

Former Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Revel Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I guess the food, which they reduced to a couple of days a week and always runs out.

Cons

Terrible leadership, insufficient pay, the reward for good work is more work. No recognition for anything. People work hard instead of taking a step back and trying to work smart.

Advice to Management

Bring in a new CEO that can actually manage the company. This place is a disaster.

Frustrating, disorganized, and childish

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Place is full of really fun nice people. Most them work very hard and know what they are doing.
    The product has so much potential -- in a great space.

Cons

Higher levels of management lack experience. Management gets in the way of their employees. "Culture" and "values" are forced onto people. Respect and confidence is breed out of you, especially towards management. There is a "you are with us or against us mentality." To survive you must go along with questionable behavior and ethics.
    Valued employees don't get raises. Asking for one is a death sentence.

Advice to Management

The CTO needs to readjust his perspective. He is paranoid of his employees. He is ok falsifying linkedin profiles and reviews.
    The CEO and cofounder should step aside and and put in place someone who has the ability to focus the CTO and cofounder. Revel Systems is trying to do all things to all businesses. Revel Systems needs a CEO who can build confidence with new investors and prospective partners and who is able to listen to people who. The CEO needs to learn when to accept that she lacks knowledge and then do something about it.
    Revel Systems has a board but it their board does not have people from the outside who can provide guidance. This is sorely needed.
    Managment generally hires good people but they get in their way.
    I wish management was more environmentally friendly. I wish they would encourage people to use filtered tap.

Terrible Management and Below Average Talent Across the Board

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Revel Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Trendy office location, which seems to be the CEO's only tangible goal or accomplishment to date

Cons

-Bad and inexperienced management, company runs very inefficiently from top to bottom
    -Pretty mediocre talent and qualifications across the board (few employees of elite educational or professional backgrounds)
    -Long hours that could be avoided if upper level management was better organized
    -Poor compensation
    -Culture is pretty disorganized and unprofessional- employees are pretty cavalier and apathetic

Advice to Management

Honestly, this company's only cure might be to scrap C-level management and the employees who don't add value, start hiring better talent

A company that pretends its on the cutting edge..

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Revel Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- There were a few great connections I made at Revel that I will carry with me moving forward.

Cons

- not sure what people are talking about when saying 'Huge Growth'...
    - don't get fooled, the leadership is horrible. CEO is a joke.
    - Revel is a follower in an overcrowded space with one distinct leader.

Advice to Management

My advice is to step down and bring in truly inspirational and innovative leaders that know how to drive a company forward and keep people happy. Obviously based on what others have said here, you are not doing a good job.

Immature and dishonest leaders will lead to demise

Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Revel Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people who work there are smart and motivated.

Cons

ZERO opportunity for personal growth. Management has no ability to think of the big picture, they lack any business sense, and will lead to the company's demise. Knowing how the leaders encourage their staff to create fake LinkedIn profiles of employees has me to believe most of the positive reviews on Glassdoor are real. Turnover recently has been astronomical lately because they do not value the employees.

Advice to Management

Step down and let a business minded individual take the company to the next level.

Don't be fooled.

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I would say free lunch but even that is terrible.

Cons

- zero leadership
    - no mentors
    - disorganization
    - long hours
    - below industry standard compensation
    - lack of communication
    - no follow through
    - no work life balance...

Advice to Management

Step aside and let someone who knows what they're doing take over.

Unorganized chaos, C-Level in way over their heads, awful management top to bottom

Former Employee - Sales Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Revel Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience to know what not to look for in your next company.

Mostly the superficial things at Revel are pretty cool.

Cool patio. Bar. MacBook Airs, lunches everyday and a $10 per diem if you eat outside of the office.

Cons

The company has such a buggy product they can't scale support. Extremely compacted product with zero training.

CTO is an ego maniac and awful for culture. The CEO is nothing short of a dud.

People were getting thrown under the bus at all times including some awesome employees that a successful company would want to keep. Shocking and political moves for sure.t

Upper management attributes to a toxic environment like no other organization I've worked at.

Suffering extreme turnover.

Benefits are below average.

Expect to work the holidays.

I can go on and on. Most of the positive reviews are written by the same people who write their blog.

Advice to Management

Move out the way. You guys have your stake now let someone withe experience turn something very promising around. Give people a chance and some training. The culture was so toxic.