Revel Systems Reviews

Frustrating, disorganized, and childish

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Place is full of really fun nice people. Most them work very hard and know what they are doing.
    The product has so much potential -- in a great space.

Cons

Higher levels of management lack experience. Management gets in the way of their employees. "Culture" and "values" are forced onto people. Respect and confidence is breed out of you, especially towards management. There is a "you are with us or against us mentality." To survive you must go along with questionable behavior and ethics.
    Valued employees don't get raises. Asking for one is a death sentence.

The CTO needs to readjust his perspective. He is paranoid of his employees. He is ok falsifying linkedin profiles and reviews.
    The CEO and cofounder should step aside and and put in place someone who has the ability to focus the CTO and cofounder. Revel Systems is trying to do all things to all businesses. Revel Systems needs a CEO who can build confidence with new investors and prospective partners and who is able to listen to people who. The CEO needs to learn when to accept that she lacks knowledge and then do something about it.
    Revel Systems has a board but it their board does not have people from the outside who can provide guidance. This is sorely needed.
    Managment generally hires good people but they get in their way.
    I wish management was more environmentally friendly. I wish they would encourage people to use filtered tap.

Terrible Management and Below Average Talent Across the Board

Former Employee - Sales  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Revel Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Trendy office location, which seems to be the CEO's only tangible goal or accomplishment to date

Cons

-Bad and inexperienced management, company runs very inefficiently from top to bottom
    -Pretty mediocre talent and qualifications across the board (few employees of elite educational or professional backgrounds)
    -Long hours that could be avoided if upper level management was better organized
    -Poor compensation
    -Culture is pretty disorganized and unprofessional- employees are pretty cavalier and apathetic

Honestly, this company's only cure might be to scrap C-level management and the employees who don't add value, start hiring better talent

A company that pretends its on the cutting edge..

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Revel Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

- There were a few great connections I made at Revel that I will carry with me moving forward.

Cons

- not sure what people are talking about when saying 'Huge Growth'...
    - don't get fooled, the leadership is horrible. CEO is a joke.
    - Revel is a follower in an overcrowded space with one distinct leader.

My advice is to step down and bring in truly inspirational and innovative leaders that know how to drive a company forward and keep people happy. Obviously based on what others have said here, you are not doing a good job.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Immature and dishonest leaders will lead to demise

Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Revel Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people who work there are smart and motivated.

Cons

ZERO opportunity for personal growth. Management has no ability to think of the big picture, they lack any business sense, and will lead to the company's demise. Knowing how the leaders encourage their staff to create fake LinkedIn profiles of employees has me to believe most of the positive reviews on Glassdoor are real. Turnover recently has been astronomical lately because they do not value the employees.

Step down and let a business minded individual take the company to the next level.

Don't be fooled.

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

I would say free lunch but even that is terrible.

Cons

- zero leadership
    - no mentors
    - disorganization
    - long hours
    - below industry standard compensation
    - lack of communication
    - no follow through
    - no work life balance...

Step aside and let someone who knows what they're doing take over.

Unorganized chaos, C-Level in way over their heads, awful management top to bottom

Former Employee - Sales Account Executive  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Revel Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great experience to know what not to look for in your next company.

Mostly the superficial things at Revel are pretty cool.

Cool patio. Bar. MacBook Airs, lunches everyday and a $10 per diem if you eat outside of the office.

Cons

The company has such a buggy product they can't scale support. Extremely compacted product with zero training.

CTO is an ego maniac and awful for culture. The CEO is nothing short of a dud.

People were getting thrown under the bus at all times including some awesome employees that a successful company would want to keep. Shocking and political moves for sure.t

Upper management attributes to a toxic environment like no other organization I've worked at.

Suffering extreme turnover.

Benefits are below average.

Expect to work the holidays.

I can go on and on. Most of the positive reviews are written by the same people who write their blog.

Move out the way. You guys have your stake now let someone withe experience turn something very promising around. Give people a chance and some training. The culture was so toxic.

Mismanagement, micromanagement, and constant stress

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time

Pros

-Great team of coworkers who all get along, probably because the working conditions are so harsh
    -Free food and some other OK perks
    -An actual potentially good product

Cons

Where to begin? This company is managed by people who have no idea what they are doing, with few exceptions (unfortunately not the CEO or CTO). The expectation is that everyone work 24/7 for less than minimum wage and if you don't like that, then you are ungrateful and are subsequently fired. Granted, it is a startup, and long hours are the norm, but people shouldn't be yelled at for leaving early when we've already been there for 12 hours.

Revel's sole focus is to sell, almost always over promising to the customer, without checking in with engineering to see is this is possible, especially for Enterprise clients. But when your base is based almost solely on commission, I guess it is somewhat understandable.

The only people that succeed in this company are ones who are good at faking a smile on their face, will just agree with the CEO or CTO no matter what they say, and tells the CEO their every move. The micromanagement by the CEO is unbelievable. Probably because she does nothing else than go on Facebook all day and check Salesforce, she is constantly in everyone's business over the most minute things instead of focusing on the bigger picture. She likes to say that she does work and we all should respect her, but yet no one can name one thing she has actually contributed to the company.

Everyone there is motivated, it isn't about motivation to work harder in order to be successful, it's about believing in the vision of the company, which Revel is severely lacking. A vision is not "A Revel POS in every shop," something the CEO and CTO fail to realize.

Worse job ever

Former Employee - Sales Account Executive  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Revel Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing product that at the time was extremely visionary. I would say that except for a few select people in this company that the people here generally seemed to care for each other (maybe because everyone was working 80 hour weeks)

Cons

Where do you start. How about EXTREMELY bad leadership. It's great having a young CEO if she has the intelligence and vision to lead a company. Unfortunately Lisa is more like a teenager than a CEO, utterly clueless on anything business related and more likely to throw a tantrum than do something constructive (slight exaggeration, but you get the point). If the rumors are correct this is the reason why Groupon bought Breadcrumb and not Revel.
    Everyday in the company you hear of trails with major chains and it really feels like Revel is going places. Too bad that most of these deals disappear with ineffective support and continual problems. If you ever want proof just ask how many full service restaurant clients they have had for more than a 6 months (a hand full at most).
    Once upon a time Revel had the most up and coming product in the industry. Through poor leadership, technical problems and bad support this company did not live up to my expectations. While I was there I saw unbelievable employee turnover and people literally crying with frustration. I really gave everything I had to Revel, 80 hour weeks included and at the end of it my resignation was one of the happiest points of my life.
    There are so many other things that I could say about Revel, but I think the most helpful is this.
    Don't get caught up in the hype and do your homework (ask about employee turnover, problems etc).

Find a new CEO and then you might be able to Revelup!

If you want to be micro-managed by inexperienced children, this is the place for you.

Former Employee - Business Development  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Revel Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent product in a red hot market.

Cons

Be wary of the reviews written by the management/internal team members (dictated by the founders) that tell you if you're motivated you will do well. I am extremely motivated and have no issue putting in 90 hour work weeks. I have been a top producer everywhere I've worked until Revel and have never had an issue with my seniors or lack of work ethic.

That being said, Revel only wants button pusher yes men. They say they want entrepreneurs. They say they want creativity. Yet if you bring either to the co-founders and they did not originate the idea, it will get shot down and you will be told it's a "waist" of time. The CTO is very smart with technology and security yet he is spread extremely thin and is not a manager. The CEO is the most inept, incompetent individual I've ever worked with; let alone for. The entire company realizes this but is afraid to speak out for fear of losing their job. I wasn't and I don't regret it. Leaving Revel was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

The management believes that if they continue to hire sales people the company will prosper. They are not concerned with their customers experience which is a huge problem in my opinion. The support team is underpaid, under staffed and over worked. They will tell you about huge deals they've landed and say they're an enterprise business yet the majority of big accounts they land have already left due to inadequate service/support.

Loyalty is also not rewarded. I've witnessed several key employees, who had been at the company since it's founding and because they voiced their opinions, were fired. Not to mention as they continue their hiring spree, new hires are put in more senior positions than folks who have been at the company for some time and given more equity. It's a very unsustainable business model.

The product road map is also a mystery. As an employee you will be told that Revel will be the next Google and to "RevelUP". However only the CTO, CEO and lead engineer really know what the company's plans are going forward.

Don't let this review make you think I'm a bitter, whining, slacker. I assure you I am not. I came to Revel for all the right reasons and was very enthusiastic and excited. Within three months that was beaten out of me because I realized nothing was going to change. I was more frustrated than I've ever been in my career as are most of the employees that have been there longer than three months.

Do your research. Do your homework and do your due diligence. Apply at your own risk.

Listen to your employees, really listen. Be more transparent and open with your work force. Don't be afraid to pay people who are good and loyal to your business. Stop the attrition! Respect your team, don't treat them as an expense. No company has ever gone on to great things that didn't keep talent around and organically grow for the long haul.

Horrible work environment with an extremely high turnover

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Revel Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

none, the company does not care about its employees. If you like being micromanaged and taken advantage of, then this is the place for you.

Cons

very long hours, low pay, very poor management structure, horrible work/life balance. Revel's management acts like 8th grade schoolgirls and has no real leadership.

Listen to you employees, dont let your ego's get in the way

Worked for Revel Systems? Contribute to the Community!