Revenue Solutions, Inc.

Mark C Havens

1. Amazing Career!

Current Employee - Consultant in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Consultant in Providence, RI

I have been working at Revenue Solutions, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

RSI is an amazing place to work! They offer plenty of opportunities to learn and grow within the organization, fantastic salary/benefits, and a welcoming work environment. Teams also get to go on monthly outings, which are fun.

Cons

As with all consulting careers, there are periods in which the work/life balance tips heavily towards the work side; however, salary increases and performance bonuses make up for the long hours.

Advice to Management

Get to know your employees more; this will provide an opportunity to utilize their strengths more effectively, while letting them get a sense that you are invested in them.

2. Hardworking Company

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Revenue Solutions, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a small company you are on a first name basis with leadership. Invested in your success.

Cons

Lacks the perks you get from large consulting firms; training, incentives, college tuition reimbursement, cell phone

Terrible Company - Be warned and ignore other reviews praising company that provide little substance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Revenue Solutions, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This role starts out lazy and you think you've hit the jackpot. Manager doesn't bother you first couple weeks...hell he/she may not say a word to you first three months. The reason is not because he/she is nice...its because you're billing to CON Job Training. Since the company has no training, this is pretty much a way for RSI to pass three months so they can start ripping off government clients into saying look at how much this person learned by sitting around while RSI didn't bill you at all. They don't really care about what you learn or how you grow, they just want you to pass the three months and not miss days. That's all it is, and I'll explain why an arrangement like this may not be the best thing in the con section especially if you're looking to learn valuable skills on the job. Another very light pro that you're working in government offices no one generally bothers or stresses you out if you keep your head low and get your work done, the transition into the job is generally not bad...probably not too different from other consulting firms in that sense since you're making them money even if you're staring at the wall for 8 hours a day. So again, these pros should be taken with a grain of salt. If you're coming in at a high position/ well paid, and you just want to clock in your time and grow old making some higher level people very rich, don't mind driving to 2 hours to Maine, Indiana, Missouri or other desolate parts of the USA, then great. This is the job for you.

Cons

I'm going to explain in very measured terms why I feel like this is a poisonous company for your long and short term career and it treats employees like an IT sweatshop. First of all they don't care how good you are, they just care if you can do the job without clients complaining and bill to clients. The company does not have offices or a company culture or anything that would build employee loyalty to keep costs as low as possible. I believe the pay is well (15 to 20 K) below market rate for what is basically either a business analyst or programmer role, there is zero flexibility compared to other consulting firms like work from home etc., no merit recognition (Pembroke just views you as a number on an excel spreadsheet and they just want to keep costs down, I doubt they even bother reading reviews etc and they have pre-decided bonuses based on a very crude criteria), zero training (you'll see people from Accenture or Deloitte send even their entry level hires to serious training sessions and conferences while RSI will give you a YouTube video to watch and click through), and career advancement (You'll waste close to a decade of your life before being admitted to Manager position- while you see your friends at Fortune 500/ Consulting firms attain sr. management positions within half the time). Be prepared to be abused and used like a slave by managers and Sr. Consultants who want to take credit for your work without any shame. Working with this company and the coding (PL/SQL only) you will do in technology that is decades old will leave you with little skills if this is your first job and much worse off if you came in even as a half-way decent coder. I feel like a young person should tread carefully in making a decision to join this company as the most important question for you should be what am I learning in terms of technology and skills. Their tax software is not a a quality product, and their engineers are paid so low I don't know how anyone could work at this company so close to Silicon Valley. I feel like turnover in the Roseville, CA Solutions center is so high that they've even stopped trying to pretend like those people will stay beyond 1 year. Managers can vary in their general attitudes but for the most part are not quality individuals or people who care about your growth in any way, they just want to keep earning their bonuses. Even for the ones considered "nice", once a deadline hits, they will ask you to work weekends or stay late or give you a ton of work which you won't get any overtime for or bonus for. The bonus is not a merit based thing. It is meant to be a part of your salary. It is there to ensure that you stay at the company by December 30-31 and have billed long enough for the founders, directors and few Sr. level individuals to make millions in profit. The profit sharing is such a joke, I don't even want to dignify it by talking about it...don't factor it into anything. Guess any reasonable human that can stick around for 7-10 years (number of years you need to reach Manager level) at this company pretty much gets a leash and collar saying..RIP Career. Managers and Directors have very little respect for employees other than what you can get done for them. This is not a hyperbole, it is very evident within the first few months of your role here. Mark Havens and upper management continue to tout in Town Hall meetings that they made over $30 million in profit (that is after costs with margins of over 50%) while employees are paid well below market rate and work long hours (I feel like they might start leaving that info out due to reviews . They can get away with this because the competitive market forces of the private sector don't apply to slow moving government clients. I was told this company was founded by people who were pissed off like the current COO/CFO not getting Partner at KPMG, but the irony is that this company has very little merit based recognition or promotions. It doesn't matter what you do, you get promoted only on a fixed time-table which is completely unrealistic and unlike anything I've seen at other companies that are adjusting to the new era of competitive technology markets. If you're young and smart, you probably stumbled in this job in a bad market. I would advise you to keep looking for another role or better yet just call it an honest mistake based on their aggressive tactics and false marketing, and get out as soon as you can. Its just not worth it when there are other companies that will pay you more, treat you well with flexibility and learning, and allow you to grow so much better. If you're passionate about technology or a college graduate, please avoid this company unless you have extreme circumstances or after graduating you were literally working at the IT Help desk at your school or Burger King.

Advice to Management

I think both your government clients and employees are catching on that you're not a selective or elite Tax Firm, but a poorly disguised staffing firm that serves government clients with managers who bill way past what they contribute or provide in value. You make money off of the knowledge and human capital of the people you employ, to avoid disasters at your client sites, pay them fairly or turnover will harm you. Government clients might seem relaxed but they are not stupid and they do understand when a firm is not hiring or retaining quality people. The same person is the COO and CFO...that should be a red flag for any prospective employee that you're entering a company that wants to pay you as little as possible since usually a CFO is meant to be a check on a COO who expands the company. Again, I want and hope this to be constructive advice. But I left this company very disappointed and feeling like all the founders want is a way to have a mechanized system with Information Technology workers obediently working at the expense of employee careers and lives. I have nothing against the founders getting rich off a good idea, but please understand and realize that you can't do it by taking shortcuts like paying people below market rates or providing them with environments at work that constrain their lives or don't enhance their careers. Maybe if you were manufacturing something no one else did and had a monopoly on it, but you can't do this in the face of such a competitive IT market. Ask yourself...if it were so easy to hire low paid workers and leverage sleezy marketing to make money in IT, what's stopping other companies from doing what you're doing? This is why contracts are being lost and projects delayed.

I like it so far

Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Revenue Solutions, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very fun, laidback environment. Everyone seems to work together like a f amily.

Cons

I can't think of any yet.

Advice to Management

Keep it urrrrp

Swet shop mentality

Former Employee - Associate Consultant

Pros

Everything looks goo initially.... but then goes downhill, that's the scam.

Cons

Working for this company is a joke. They treat their employees like farmyard animals. The have a very 19th century way of doing things, if there is an issue, don't address it, just drill it down. They tell lies and all the things you wanna hear at the time of hiring and a month in, they start to reveal their true colors. They make you work long hours from 9-7, 9-8 and even bully you to work on the weekends. If you don't happen to be available over the weekends, the managers send you harassing emails saying how there might be consequences and repercussions, and use other scare tactics. You CANNOT leave work until you get an approval from a manager or a supervisor, essentially functioning like a prison. This is a horrible company, especially to start out as a fresher. They treat you like they've bought you and not your time, make you feel suffocated there. Politics is petty. There are so many people in this company who I've would've never associated myself with if I had not worked for this company. Your personal lives suffer because of this. This is a boring and dead end industry and unless you have a wife and kids and a huge mortgage and no other options left, I suggest you look elsewhere. They treat you like beggars by buying you junk food and high octane crap and believe that they're actually doing you a favor,all this only while and when you are working till 8 pm on a Friday. Lot of the seniors in the company seem like they have sad lives and want to make your lives more miserable. They do not treat you with respect at all. Senior consultants and managers use you to further their promotions and bonuses and are not interested in helping you or furthering your career. The amount of skills I could've learned in the time I was with this company could have furthered my career so much more, instead they make you work on outdated technologies which few people use in the industry. Leaving this company was the best decision.

Poor Management

Former Employee - Associate Consultant

I worked at Revenue Solutions, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Salary, benefits and decent year end bonus. Very good HRs and decent bonus. People at the client are very friendly

Cons

Management need to understand and be sensitive of employees. While i was appreciated for my hard work and potential all throughout, the managers put on a different mask when i asked for work from home option due to an illness. I was eventually asked to resign early and help with transition. You see, i never took offs even during 2014 Christmas/2015 New Year time but when i had to during my final week for medical reasons, there was undue pressure to complete tasks which is very unethical. Also, all the developers worked from the west coast and not one developer was present on my site. This made me work long hours and few times beyond 10pm on friday. Too much time is spent on meetings and planning, not one project hits a deadline. Most of the technology is from 1990-2000s. Join this company if you like to work hard for no reason

Advice to Management

They need to re-train few managers to be sensitive of their managers. Some managers speak really bad about their clients.

Great place to work!

Pros

Pay and benefits Small company opportunities for growth and empowerment Very smart group of people to work with

Cons

Leadership is still figuring some things out

Advice to Management

Bring remote teams together more often

Mar 5, 2015 – COO/CFO

Thanks for the feedback! We agree! We are working hard to continue to figure those "some things" out. With our rapid growth and international expansion these are good problems to have... We are ... More

Be Aware before you join

Current Employee - Employee in Pembroke, MA
    Current Employee - Employee in Pembroke, MA

I have been working at Revenue Solutions, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

First of all, most the glowing reviews were made by senior level managers or by people who have been asked by HR. Some of the pros ( for some ) : 9-5 type of job if you are into that and a very slow laid back work environment since the company takes government jobs. If you are a washed up senior consultant in a big firm and couldn't make manager (Up or Out system) or just tired of doing real consulting work then this is the perfect company for you.

Cons

To set it straight: Management is a combination of washed up previous (Accenture and CGI) employees who were stuck at their level. ( Senior managers who could't make partner or senior consultants who couldn't make manager....) it's also a popularity contest, if you are not in the inner circle of "The cool kids" well......you are screwed. You need to be protected by someone at a senior management level (VP, Exec SM or some SM) otherwise you are more likely to end up in the "end of the world" working on a technology that is very revolutionary if this was 1992. Promotions are based on irrational criterias and raises are often 3-4k. Salaries are 25-40% below the industry standards. Benefits are from a different time and way below the industry standards. The company doesn't pay for over time even when it's requested by your manager. This is the type of company where you are brain washed since day 1 and its culture and technology will make it harder for you to find a job anywhere else after.

Advice to Management

Either modernize the company and bring it to the industry standards or get a time machine and take us all back to the early 90s.

Dec 5, 2014 – COO/CFO

As an organization, RSI encourages honest feedback. RSI has multiple mechanisms for employees to provide comments, including a coaching/mentorship program (whereby an employee is matched to a senior ... More

Great company that wants you to succeed

I have been working at Revenue Solutions, Inc. full-time

Pros

The CEO and VPs are all down to earth and approachable. They know me by name and know the work that I do. They appreciate the employees and recognize that they would not be a successful company without them. The employees are awesome, I feel so lucky that I get to work with talented, fun people! My manager is great, and always takes the time to help me when I need it. I have helped move a lot of projects to completion and am recognized for my hard work.

Cons

At this time, I have no cons.

Dec 5, 2014 – COO/CFO

Thanks for the review! And you're right. We would not be a successful company without you...

Horrible

Pros

I found another job. And I have to use 20 characters to say something nice. So here are some more words.

Cons

Management is horrible and had the intelligence equivalency of a rock. He will micromanager to death about things he knows nothing about. High turn over. Ridiculous work hours. High expectations and low to no rewards.

Advice to Management

Fire all management and start over.

RSS Feed </> Embed