Revolution Prep

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014
2.8

Ramit Varma and Jake Neuberg

Pros
  • Nice people who try hard but they are constantly hiring teachers due to very high turnover (in 4 reviews)

• I started in the EMP program that was very challenging and fast paced (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Probably the most frustrating part of the experience was that it is ENTIRELY commission based with no security net at all (in 3 reviews)

• The more you do for them, the more they see you as a go-to person who needs no real support, raise, or advancement (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Branch Manager

Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at Revolution Prep as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They have a great mentoring program. I'd have weekly calls with my manager to discuss my performance, areas for improvement, success stories, and setting goals weekly.

Cons

I worked in an area on my own and so it was difficult to tap into relationships or company resources to get my branch running.

Consider having part salary/part commission compensation for branch managers starting in a new area. The complete unpredictability of success could dissuade branch managers from sticking their neck out in a market that isn't penetrated.

Don't do it. Seriously, the good reviews are probably fake.

Former Employee - Client Relations Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Client Relations Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Revolution Prep full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Really liked my co-workers a lot

Great location

Good basic experience of getting on the phone, talking to people

Cons

Any job, since they've changed the title of the role several times, involving "client relations" or "client management" or "relationship management" is a glorified term for call center employee.

I graduated from a top university and to cut to the chase, this was probably the most unprofessional environment I've ever seen.

So my boyfriend says my education is irrelevant (probably pretentious) but the point is they attract intelligent, bright and passionate recent grads into a role that is completely a grind- not in a good way. I agree with the other reviews from experience that they oversell the position and recruit from outside of LA/California and people do get stuck or complacent, it's sad. Luckily, they let me go and I ended up at top companies like Amazon and Zillow. So that worked out.

My manager was very unliked by our team, because he simply lacked respect and leadership qualities that the company's mission inspires- super power trippy as another review points out. It is absolutely true they make you work overtime and on weekend shifts to answer calls from customers that are looking to find their Saturday morning classes or have logistical questions - many times the room numbers weren't evident, a small example of lack of organization. Customers had to wait over 45 minutes to reach someone on the 1800 number we answered all day, not a great customer experience.

Then again it wasn't a wonderful employee experience either. I'd say I enjoyed about 10% of it. If you're desperate for 35k as a base, know that there are other opportunities out there. I would have rather worked at McDonalds.

Total chop shop and high turnover in every department. If you don't believe me, do a LinkedIn search for employees there and survey the average tenure for yourself.

On a happy note, my immediate coworkers were super great.

Heavy workload with little recognition for a job well done.

Former Employee - Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Revolution Prep full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Day-to-day autonomy was somewhat decent. If you like constant change and confusion at all levels, this is the place for you.

Cons

Very demanding work environment with no recognition for going above and beyond. Burn and churn mentality trickles down from the top. It is challenging to gain momentum with constant changes in business plan. Management does not trust most employees to do their jobs. No company-sponsored professional development.

Develop meaningful employee development, recognition, and rewards to retain your current employees. Twelve-hour workdays should be the exception not the expectation. Hire competent managers and let them run the company. The talent is there, but the ability to let employees do their jobs is severely lacking.

Flexible, progressive start-up!

I have been working at Revolution Prep full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing opportunities for young professionals to try your hand in many different facets of business- sales, marketing, operations, management- if you want to try something or go in a specific direction, you need to work hard and passionately and you will get the opportunity. Plus, its a for-profit business but really focuses on the students that we work with, so it's almost like working for a non-profit, but with better pay!

Cons

Sometimes not enough help for really young professionals to get real experience taking initiative beyond their specific task, though the idea is that people will bring their own creativity to the position, so it's almost like an unspoken test.

Academic Advisor

Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Revolution Prep full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free Lunch Friday, and working with your friends.

Cons

Major turnover, leadership is very weak and its all about "Who"you know rather than "What" you know. Goals are always changing and commission is very weak. People do not get paid what they are worth and therefore the good people live. HR is a complete NIGHTMARE and is consistently making errors in payroll and benefits. Sales management used to be strong but that has changed as well. Once again not investing in their people.

Hire a real HR person not just someone who failed in a different role in the company.

Great people, social work environment (which may not be for everyone), can be frustrating at times.

I have been working at Revolution Prep full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company consistently hires excellent employees. Many people are brought on in one role, and are allowed substantial mobility, if their talents are best-suited to another role/department. The open-office environment is mostly enjoyable to work in, as it fosters a great team atmosphere. Near-weekly social events make employees closer to friends than coworkers. The company is very flexible in general, and unlimited PTO is a great perk. Few employees have a rigid schedule. Free lunch every Friday, and a decent selection of snacks and sodas.

Cons

Management constantly changes directions, pivoting toward initiatives, then backing away in favor of something different. Many employees work consistent long hours, with little recognition, outside of major accomplishments. Compensation is rarely comparable to workload and responsibilities. Management is far from transparent, and accountability is lacking at all levels. The open office can be distracting. The youthful employee base is often unprofessional.

Taking a consistent direction would help a lot. With the great pool of talent brought in, cultivating employee growth and development could be a huge boon to the company's success. Often times, employees find better opportunities elsewhere, which leads to somewhat consistent turnover.

Decent materials, sketchy practices

Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at Revolution Prep part-time (less than an year)

Pros

For context: I spent a summer working as a Revolution "branch manager".

Pros: Experience building a business from scratch. Some materials to help you figure out lesson plans. Immediate superiors are friendly and helpful.

Cons

The feeling that you're taking far too much money from people in vulnerable positions. The fact that the first test is the hardest, and that part of students' "score improvement" simply comes from the tests getting easier. Having a hard time getting answers from company higher-ups when you ask questions about said practices. I'm guessing that Kaplan and the like aren't any different, but Revolution just felt wrong by the end of the summer.

Respond to employees' ethical concerns.

Company full of opportunities, high growth environment and most of all, great people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Revolution Prep full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with the company for several years, in many different positions...all of which I have seen my personal and professional growth skyrocket. Revolution favors hard workers...not ones that kill themselves and give up their personal life for 100% work work work, but ones who are moldable, willing to take on new challenges that contribute to the growth of the company...and ones who take INITIATIVE! The company's tagline used to be "transforming education" and that's really what Revolutionaries (company employees) are trying to do. Every Friday, our Headquarters office has lunch together (a big perk paid for by the company) and we get to hear incredible success stories of the students we have impacted with our tutoring and advising services. Each week, I am blown away by our students' achievements and it feels great to know that I am a part of that, even if indirectly. Bottom line - if you're looking to be part of a company that is wiling to change and adapt to meet the growing demands of the education technology market, then this is the place for you. We just received the honor of being the 10th best place to work in Los Angeles and I'm glad we're finally getting the recognition our company deserves!

Cons

Having been part of the company for several years, I've seen it go through tough changes, none of which have been easy on leadership. Any company has to make it's bottom line, and in years past Revolution has had to make some difficult decisions, which involved layoffs at times. Given that we've always been such a close, best-friend-at-work kind of a company since it's opening in 2002, these times are never easy, not even for those who have been working at Revolution for several years. However, every tough decision has proven to be necessary and important for the company's future (and I've heard this from employees who have been effected by these changes...not just coming from me). This type of quick, adaptive change is not a good fit for everyone, so I would caution those who are not willing to be flexible and adapt with the company.

Continue being visionaries and never lose sight of continuing to develop the strong, capable employees you have. The company you are building is incredible...especially looking back from where you started in 2002...and I can't wait to see where we are in 6 months, a year, 5 years!

Innovative and Rewarding Workplace

Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Revolution Prep full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ongoing training and development, the ability to take on passion projects, and a company culture that is unmatched are a few of the reasons I love coming to work EVERY day. Everyone genuinely cares about the success and happiness of each employee. The open door policy with the CEO's is very much appreciated and makes us feel like a family. We constantly elevate one another to go beyond perceived limits. You are constantly praised and encouraged to excel and develop your life skills that transcend the work place.

Cons

Things do change quickly, that is also because we realize when we're doing something wrong or could be doing something better. We tend to have new and young managers, as an entrepreneurial company - that means there is a lot of room for growth and development internally. As a nationwide and international company communication to those outside of headquarters can be more expeditious and frequent.

Scheduling system for tutors was the major drawback

Former Employee - Subject Tutor
    Former Employee - Subject Tutor

I worked at Revolution Prep part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexibility over your own schedule
    Good pay for the industry
    Legit work from home work

Cons

Management changed the scheduling system so students can book tutors within 15 minutes of wanting a session. This forces tutors to stay tethered to their computer hoping to get work but without a guarantee.

Require more lead time so tutors can make other arrangements if they arent booked

Revolution Prep Photos