Revolution Prep

Updated February 24, 2015
Updated February 24, 2015
2.8

Ramit Varma and Jake Neuberg

Pros
  • Nice people who try hard but they are constantly hiring teachers due to very high turnover (in 4 reviews)

• I started in the EMP program that was very challenging and fast paced (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Probably the most frustrating part of the experience was that it is ENTIRELY commission based with no security net at all (in 3 reviews)

• The more you do for them, the more they see you as a go-to person who needs no real support, raise, or advancement (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Their split with student "contractors" or interns is unfair.

Former Contractor - Branch Manager
    Former Contractor - Branch Manager

I worked at Revolution Prep as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

You can make good money on commission if you are motivated. The company provides a strong name/reputation to stand behind.

Cons

You have to work very independently and be very self motivated. Management will do very little to help you succeed (as a Branch Manager). But somehow, they justify taking 60% of your gross income.

Adjust the percentages to reflect value added or start adding more value (get hands-on and help Branch Managers succeed rather than just lecturing them on conference calls).

Great first internship, must be self-motivated

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at Revolution Prep

Pros

Loved teaching high school kids, didn't enjoy the marketing and selling of the course but it's been a good skill to mention in job interviews, etc.

Cons

If you're not in a good market for SAT classes, I imagine you wouldn't make much money or have many students

Nothing I can think of - very positive experience

Regional Manager

I have been working at Revolution Prep

Pros

-some genuinely good people at regional offices... that's really all I can say in terms of good things! The worst place I have ever ever worked!

Cons

-company is run like a fraternity - overall poor and manipulative management
    -run as fast as you can - I now take pleasure in knowing that I will never ever again work for such a poorly managed company. It would be literally impossible to find.

Don't get suckered in by their "social mission"

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Revolution Prep full-time (more than a year)

Pros

No need to worry about deadlines because goals will change before you ever start something

Cons

No professional development
    No internal numbers tracking, so you'll have to compile, present, and defend your bonuses instead of simply hitting targets and triggering set compensation
    No quality of instruction
    They're simply a marketing machine instead of focusing on education
    No work life balance - you're on call 24/7

Actually treat people well

Don't do it. Seriously, the good reviews are probably fake.

Former Employee - Client Relations Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Client Relations Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Revolution Prep full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Really liked my co-workers a lot

Great location

Good basic experience of getting on the phone, talking to people

Cons

Any job, since they've changed the title of the role several times, involving "client relations" or "client management" or "relationship management" is a glorified term for call center employee.

I graduated from a top university and to cut to the chase, this was probably the most unprofessional environment I've ever seen.

So my boyfriend says my education is irrelevant (probably pretentious) but the point is they attract intelligent, bright and passionate recent grads into a role that is completely a grind- not in a good way. I agree with the other reviews from experience that they oversell the position and recruit from outside of LA/California and people do get stuck or complacent, it's sad. Luckily, they let me go and I ended up at top companies like Amazon and Zillow. So that worked out.

My manager was very unliked by our team, because he simply lacked respect and leadership qualities that the company's mission inspires- super power trippy as another review points out. It is absolutely true they make you work overtime and on weekend shifts to answer calls from customers that are looking to find their Saturday morning classes or have logistical questions - many times the room numbers weren't evident, a small example of lack of organization. Customers had to wait over 45 minutes to reach someone on the 1800 number we answered all day, not a great customer experience.

Then again it wasn't a wonderful employee experience either. I'd say I enjoyed about 10% of it. If you're desperate for 35k as a base, know that there are other opportunities out there. I would have rather worked at McDonalds.

Total chop shop and high turnover in every department. If you don't believe me, do a LinkedIn search for employees there and survey the average tenure for yourself.

On a happy note, my immediate coworkers were super great.

Heavy workload with little recognition for a job well done.

Former Employee - Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Revolution Prep full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Day-to-day autonomy was somewhat decent. If you like constant change and confusion at all levels, this is the place for you.

Cons

Very demanding work environment with no recognition for going above and beyond. Burn and churn mentality trickles down from the top. It is challenging to gain momentum with constant changes in business plan. Management does not trust most employees to do their jobs. No company-sponsored professional development.

Develop meaningful employee development, recognition, and rewards to retain your current employees. Twelve-hour workdays should be the exception not the expectation. Hire competent managers and let them run the company. The talent is there, but the ability to let employees do their jobs is severely lacking.

Branch Manager

Former Intern - Branch Manager
    Former Intern - Branch Manager

I worked at Revolution Prep as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

They have a great mentoring program. I'd have weekly calls with my manager to discuss my performance, areas for improvement, success stories, and setting goals weekly.

Cons

I worked in an area on my own and so it was difficult to tap into relationships or company resources to get my branch running.

Consider having part salary/part commission compensation for branch managers starting in a new area. The complete unpredictability of success could dissuade branch managers from sticking their neck out in a market that isn't penetrated.

Flexible, progressive start-up!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Revolution Prep full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Amazing opportunities for young professionals to try your hand in many different facets of business- sales, marketing, operations, management- if you want to try something or go in a specific direction, you need to work hard and passionately and you will get the opportunity. Plus, its a for-profit business but really focuses on the students that we work with, so it's almost like working for a non-profit, but with better pay!

Cons

Sometimes not enough help for really young professionals to get real experience taking initiative beyond their specific task, though the idea is that people will bring their own creativity to the position, so it's almost like an unspoken test.

Academic Advisor

Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Revolution Prep full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free Lunch Friday, and working with your friends.

Cons

Major turnover, leadership is very weak and its all about "Who"you know rather than "What" you know. Goals are always changing and commission is very weak. People do not get paid what they are worth and therefore the good people live. HR is a complete NIGHTMARE and is consistently making errors in payroll and benefits. Sales management used to be strong but that has changed as well. Once again not investing in their people.

Hire a real HR person not just someone who failed in a different role in the company.

Decent materials, sketchy practices

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at Revolution Prep part-time (less than a year)

Pros

For context: I spent a summer working as a Revolution "branch manager".

Pros: Experience building a business from scratch. Some materials to help you figure out lesson plans. Immediate superiors are friendly and helpful.

Cons

The feeling that you're taking far too much money from people in vulnerable positions. The fact that the first test is the hardest, and that part of students' "score improvement" simply comes from the tests getting easier. Having a hard time getting answers from company higher-ups when you ask questions about said practices. I'm guessing that Kaplan and the like aren't any different, but Revolution just felt wrong by the end of the summer.

Respond to employees' ethical concerns.

Revolution Prep Photos