Revolution Prep

Updated September 11, 2014
Updated September 11, 2014
2.8

Ramit Varma and Jake Neuberg

Pros
  • Nice people who try hard but they are constantly hiring teachers due to very high turnover (in 4 reviews)

• I started in the EMP program that was very challenging and fast paced (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Commission based - If you do nothing you will get nothing (in 3 reviews)

• The more you do for them, the more they see you as a go-to person who needs no real support, raise, or advancement (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people, social work environment (which may not be for everyone), can be frustrating at times.

I have been working at Revolution Prep full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company consistently hires excellent employees. Many people are brought on in one role, and are allowed substantial mobility, if their talents are best-suited to another role/department. The open-office environment is mostly enjoyable to work in, as it fosters a great team atmosphere. Near-weekly social events make employees closer to friends than coworkers. The company is very flexible in general, and unlimited PTO is a great perk. Few employees have a rigid schedule. Free lunch every Friday, and a decent selection of snacks and sodas.

Cons

Management constantly changes directions, pivoting toward initiatives, then backing away in favor of something different. Many employees work consistent long hours, with little recognition, outside of major accomplishments. Compensation is rarely comparable to workload and responsibilities. Management is far from transparent, and accountability is lacking at all levels. The open office can be distracting. The youthful employee base is often unprofessional.

Taking a consistent direction would help a lot. With the great pool of talent brought in, cultivating employee growth and development could be a huge boon to the company's success. Often times, employees find better opportunities elsewhere, which leads to somewhat consistent turnover.

Company full of opportunities, high growth environment and most of all, great people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Revolution Prep full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've been with the company for several years, in many different positions...all of which I have seen my personal and professional growth skyrocket. Revolution favors hard workers...not ones that kill themselves and give up their personal life for 100% work work work, but ones who are moldable, willing to take on new challenges that contribute to the growth of the company...and ones who take INITIATIVE! The company's tagline used to be "transforming education" and that's really what Revolutionaries (company employees) are trying to do. Every Friday, our Headquarters office has lunch together (a big perk paid for by the company) and we get to hear incredible success stories of the students we have impacted with our tutoring and advising services. Each week, I am blown away by our students' achievements and it feels great to know that I am a part of that, even if indirectly. Bottom line - if you're looking to be part of a company that is wiling to change and adapt to meet the growing demands of the education technology market, then this is the place for you. We just received the honor of being the 10th best place to work in Los Angeles and I'm glad we're finally getting the recognition our company deserves!

Cons

Having been part of the company for several years, I've seen it go through tough changes, none of which have been easy on leadership. Any company has to make it's bottom line, and in years past Revolution has had to make some difficult decisions, which involved layoffs at times. Given that we've always been such a close, best-friend-at-work kind of a company since it's opening in 2002, these times are never easy, not even for those who have been working at Revolution for several years. However, every tough decision has proven to be necessary and important for the company's future (and I've heard this from employees who have been effected by these changes...not just coming from me). This type of quick, adaptive change is not a good fit for everyone, so I would caution those who are not willing to be flexible and adapt with the company.

Continue being visionaries and never lose sight of continuing to develop the strong, capable employees you have. The company you are building is incredible...especially looking back from where you started in 2002...and I can't wait to see where we are in 6 months, a year, 5 years!

Innovative and Rewarding Workplace

Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Revolution Prep full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ongoing training and development, the ability to take on passion projects, and a company culture that is unmatched are a few of the reasons I love coming to work EVERY day. Everyone genuinely cares about the success and happiness of each employee. The open door policy with the CEO's is very much appreciated and makes us feel like a family. We constantly elevate one another to go beyond perceived limits. You are constantly praised and encouraged to excel and develop your life skills that transcend the work place.

Cons

Things do change quickly, that is also because we realize when we're doing something wrong or could be doing something better. We tend to have new and young managers, as an entrepreneurial company - that means there is a lot of room for growth and development internally. As a nationwide and international company communication to those outside of headquarters can be more expeditious and frequent.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent materials, sketchy practices

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at Revolution Prep part-time for less than a year

Pros

For context: I spent a summer working as a Revolution "branch manager".

Pros: Experience building a business from scratch. Some materials to help you figure out lesson plans. Immediate superiors are friendly and helpful.

Cons

The feeling that you're taking far too much money from people in vulnerable positions. The fact that the first test is the hardest, and that part of students' "score improvement" simply comes from the tests getting easier. Having a hard time getting answers from company higher-ups when you ask questions about said practices. I'm guessing that Kaplan and the like aren't any different, but Revolution just felt wrong by the end of the summer.

Respond to employees' ethical concerns.

Scheduling system for tutors was the major drawback

Former Employee - Subject Tutor
    Former Employee - Subject Tutor

I worked at Revolution Prep part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexibility over your own schedule
    Good pay for the industry
    Legit work from home work

Cons

Management changed the scheduling system so students can book tutors within 15 minutes of wanting a session. This forces tutors to stay tethered to their computer hoping to get work but without a guarantee.

Require more lead time so tutors can make other arrangements if they arent booked

Takes advantage of idealistic, talented instructors.

Former Employee - Instructor
    Former Employee - Instructor

I worked at Revolution Prep full-time for more than a year

Pros

Honestly, Revolution's curriculum is quite good. My master instructor was very accessible if I wanted to pick someone's brain about how to approach a challenging student.

If you enjoy and are good at tutoring (I have five students right now who will be scoring 5 more points on this upcoming ACT than their previous scores), Revolution will help you realize that you really need to go into business for yourself. While I would suggest trying to develop as much private business as you can, other services (like Wyzant) allow you to find students and make a considerably more than working for Revolution. Although, I will say even Wyzant takes a larger cut than I would find truly equitable, but after enough hours logged through their system, it can decrease to just 20%.

Cons

The sales staff (called Academic Advisers; very humorous) have a tendency of over-selling hours and assign tutors. The algorithm they use to rank instructors misses many key components and penalizes instructors for Revolution's mistakes. Revolution cancels many school presentations last minute, cheating instructor/presenters out of income and tutoring hours. In my last four months with Revolution, I lost $2000+ of potential income because of this practice. Because I blocked out so much time for these then-canceled presentations, the number of work hours I had in the system decreased, making it harder to get knew work based on their algorithm. When new hires were getting an additional $2.50/hr, Revolution did not automatically increase all other tutor's pay rate. Revolution effectively gives tutors about a 20% cut of what they sell the tutoring for, even though the tutor, beyond providing instruction, is primarily responsible for student/parent communications and satisfaction. Oh, and they expect basically one hour of unpaid prep work/office work for every completed tutoring hour. If the starting rate of $20 sounds great, realize it is really $10.

Realize your exploitative business model is no longer relevant with services like Wyzant allowing parents to rate instructors. Good instructors will rise to the top from public (in both meanings of the word) opinion. The instructors deserve to make more because they are the people create your business.

Avoid

I worked at Revolution Prep full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Still has a start-up feel to it despite being 10+ years old. Has an entrepreneurial spirit about it and allows for people to take their jobs into their own hands.

Cons

Senior management won't commit to a field sales structure or leadership. Extremely high turnover and zero commitment to their employees. Salary is higher than other test prep/tutoring organizations, but bonuses are rarely achieved, and they are constantly cutting their team. I would avoid joining this organization. They are likely creating a better operating income to sell in the next couple of years.

Stick to a plan.

Good Start to Run Something on Your Own

I worked at Revolution Prep as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

- Autonomy - work when you want with your own hours. They have a good training program that allows you to interact with your fellow employees

Cons

- Pay, Pay , Pay - you really have to do this with the ability to have your bills paid for without the job. They don't set you up with anything. Even the facilities have to be found by you.

-Pay your employees better.

Proctor

I worked at Revolution Prep

Pros

Flexible and open to taking on more jobs/adding extra hours which made it a great job to work at during college. Overall very good experience.

Cons

At times, lines of communication could be difficult. Working as a proctor, I was hired via Skype and never actually met anyone else in person that worked for the company so it could feel unattached at times.

Ivy Insiders Program review

Former Employee - Ivy Insiders Program Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Ivy Insiders Program Branch Manager

I worked at Revolution Prep as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The intention of the program is really good. It not only gives the lower class college students in Ivy League to do a meaningful internship in their first college summer but also enables the high school students to have first hand experience with those ivy league students. The training before the program was also pretty good and professional, learnt quite a lot.

Cons

The whole program is not very systematic in terms of tracking each "instructor"'s performance and their action all along the way, especially for the international branches, where the support was also very limited from the headquarter.

It would be great if more focus can be put on the international market.

Worked for Revolution Prep? Contribute to the Community!