Revolution Prep Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014
Updated August 27, 2014

2.5

Ramit Varma and Jake Neuberg

Pros
  • Nice people who try hard but they are constantly hiring teachers due to very high turnover (in 4 reviews)

• I started in the EMP program that was very challenging and fast paced (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Commission based - If you do nothing you will get nothing (in 3 reviews)

• The more you do for them, the more they see you as a go-to person who needs no real support, raise, or advancement (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

On your own

Former Employee - Branch Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Revolution Prep as an intern for less than a year

Pros

A lot of independence was accorded to me; so it's really a sink or swim program. Fortunately, I swam.

Cons

The lack of guidance was at times tough to cope with. They give blanket training to their branch managers and hope the principles work.

Excellent opportunity to familiarize yourself with running a business at a young age.

I worked at Revolution Prep

Pros

Business exposure, schedule flexibility, personal reward of helping students

Cons

Profit sharing (although I understand)

Well paid, Well Respected, Poorly Supported, Poorly Trained

Former Employee - Instructor  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Instructor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Revolution Prep part-time for less than a year

Pros

The employers are very nice people, idealistic about education, and have a lot of respect for their employees. Your boss will always have your back at Revolution Prep, and they are concerned for your well being and continued success as an educator. I always felt like my bosses were on my side and cared about what I had to say.

Cons

The company as a whole is disorganized; my pay came two pay periods late because they forgot to add me onto their system, and I had to email 5 different people even to get that issue resolved. I had a total of an hour's training for each assignment I was given; this is passable when you're giving a 2 hour powerpoint and Q&A on Rev Prep's services, but nowhere near the professional development necessary to run a six week test prep course effectively. The bosses are also only available by phone or email; I never met my direct supervisor, and only met my "master teacher" when he interviewed me for the job- I never physically saw him again. Also, while one boss told me to avoid posting availability when I started working there because they wanted me to focus on my first assignment, another asked me to take on two assignments within my week working there. I frequently felt as if I had to represent the company without having an accurate idea what exactly the company's goals or position was with respect to the educational institutions I was interacting with. Also, my assignments were continuously in negotiation for the entirety of my employment; I quit because I was sick of making up curriculum (which I had been doing for 2+ months) while I waited for my employers to decide what it was I was to teach the students in the school where I had been assigned.

More training, more support and oversight. You should physically meet your bosses at least once during your first month working there after you've been hired to check in, see what you strengths and weaknesses are, what resources the company has to help you and what are the things you need to know, etc. There was nobody that could authoritatively tell me I was doing a good or bad job at any point; all that I got was feedback from clients, which my bosses took to mean I was doing a good job, but customer satisfaction in the moment is not a substitute for knowing you provided a quality service instead of just being charming.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was a lot of work for little payout

Former Employee - SAT Instructor
    Former Employee - SAT Instructor

I worked at Revolution Prep part-time for less than a year

Pros

Working as an instructor helped me develop a lot of independence (you have to market and sell the program to your future students yourself) and helped me become better at articulating my thoughts to crowds.

Cons

Very little contact with management - it was pretty much like working as an independent SAT instructor. My localmanager was not particularly helpful either.

I would restructure 'training' for the instructors.

Branch Manager

Former Employee - Branch Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Revolution Prep full-time for less than a year

Pros

You are very in control of your schedule and operations. It teaches you how to handle logistics and gives you a solid basis for doing later tutoring of your own.

Cons

You aren't given very much substantial support by the central management. While there are a lot of annoying phone calls that you need to check in for, they don't really tell you anything. The training does not really prepare you to teach the tests to students. I know this because I have done a lot of tutoring since then, and while I am very successful now, when I look back on my competence at the time, I can't believe a company was making students pay hundreds of dollars to take a class from me. The curriculum is basically just a general overview of everything students should have learned in high school–if that sounds unhelpful, that's because it is. Finally, the compensation is horrible. I did almost all the work and got paid about 20% of the revenue I brought in. This is by far the biggest problem. If you're good enough to do a good job, save your students the money and save yourself the middleman's fat check and go into business by yourself.

Company changes rapidly without adequate communication * Hard to get enough work

Current Employee - Instructor  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Instructor in New York, NY

I have been working at Revolution Prep as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Nice online interface
    ability to accept online work
    Flexible scheduling
    Some quality Master Teachers who provide good support
    opportunity to not accept work temporarily and continue to work for the company later

Cons

Revolution Prep has recently transitioned to offering online classes almost exclusively. In person classes are no longer available to take on. However, the online pay rate is 70% of the in person rate. After effectively taking a 30% pay cut, I am struggling to get enough work. Despite maintaining open availability and high review ratings, I have been unable to get more than 10 hours of work per week.

The curriculum is riddled with errors that new teachers must discover the first time they teach it.

Policies are constantly changes as the company evolves and it is difficult to keep up with as communication is sub-par.

My communication with management often goes unanswered, and I have to reach out multiple times.

On one occasion my schedule was changed without my involvement in the decision. I had communicated that I canceled a trip to take on this particular assignment. After the conflicting class was canceled, I was simply informed of the decision and not consulted about my schedule.

Stop pretending that instructors can have as much work as they want if they meet expectations. Communicate changes to policy in a timely manner. Pay your instructors the rate they were promised when hired.

Terrible Job/Career. Great People, but NOT WORTH IT.

I worked at Revolution Prep full-time for more than a year

Pros

--There have been some great managers at the company. There was one who subsequently was fired for standing up to upper management on too many occasions in support of lower-level employees.) Another manager I worked with was also great, but left when they saw the company was headed in a bad direction.
    --The people, as other reviews state, are generally amazing and incredibly smart. Most leave, but a couple still work there.

Cons

--If you do not have a good manager, there is nothing about this job that will make you feel valued and driven to work hard. (Other than loving to work with your coworkers.)
    --They hired and fired about 50% of the company while I worked there. Just as many people left of their own accord due to unhappiness with the way the company was being run, unfair pay, and a complete lack of managerial training and direction.
    --Look elsewhere. It is absolutely not worth your time or frustration to work here.

Stop hiring employees who's capabilities are far above the menial tasks involved in their true job description. Give more support to employees who do not work at the home office.

A great part-tme job

Current Employee - Tutor
    Current Employee - Tutor

I have been working at Revolution Prep part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, good pay.
    Freedom to devise one's own curriculum (which can also be a draw-back).
    Working with students directly to help them to achieve!

Cons

Sometimes more structure is needed, particularly in terms of what we are expected to do.
    Must input tutoring notes, which is fairly tedious

Provide more structured curriculums.
    Set guidelines about communication with tutees and improve system for requesting work.

irresponsible, disrespectful HR

I worked at Revolution Prep

Pros

good mission statement/core values -though I hear management is losing sight of this and getting greedy

Cons

HR recruiter set up interview time, then cancelled. Then said she would be in touch-did not actually happen. I contacted a few times asking for her, and emailed her, no response. This is irresponsible, disrespectful, unprofessional, this list can go on...

Train your HR team to be more respectful of potential employees. Our time is just as important as yours, and it is completely unprofessional to leave us hanging without notice as to interview dates and times - especially if you state that you are interested in pursuing an interview.

Used to be a great company with a great mission - lost it's way

I worked at Revolution Prep

Pros

The people they hire are amazing. They used to have a great mission. At one time (several years ago) they were truely committed to education and helping students.

Cons

Unprofessional and unethical owners and management. Poor communication from the top down. Erratic direction and mixed messages from management. Emotional, entrepreneurial owners with no strategy or plan.This company has lot its way.

Figure it out. Embrace professionalism and ethics. Support the great staff you hire.

Worked for Revolution Prep? Contribute to the Community!