Revolution Prep Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

2 Options: Jump Ship or Walk the Plank

I have been working at Revolution Prep full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The PEOPLE. Revolution has always had a way of attracting top talent. Going to work was about being surrounded with intelligent, fun(ny), and hardworking people who believe in the work that they do and the company they work for. The social mission is one of a bleeding heart company and the people like to feeling they get about the good they are doing in the world. The Instructors ARE top notch and well developed. Would absolutely allow my kids to work with a tutor that meets the criteria to become a tutor with Revolution. Everyone working in the office is an overachiever.

Cons

No consideration for the loyalty that employees show. Things were good for a long time and we were in an upward trend but it wasn't enough. Upper management is greedy and wanted more. They also jump at half thought out ideas claiming to be at the forefront of the industry, but really they just keep switching products and directions out of fear of peaking and not being "big enough." Big dreams - poor execution, poor knowledge of basic business development, and even worse communication. Employees are hired to do one job and a few months in, their title, role, and compensation changes and there's NOTHING you can do about it. Most compensation discussions are verbal and never written. Even if there is something written, holds no weight. Wouldn't be surprised if they are covering up court cases, they get lucky that most employees are younger, ignorant to unethical business practices., and can't afford lawyers.

Advice to Management

Treat people like people. Take a pay cut instead of cutting people who have dedicated their hearts, time, and loyalty to you.

Regional Manager

I have been working at Revolution Prep

Pros

-some genuinely good people at regional offices... that's really all I can say in terms of good things! The worst place I have ever ever worked!

Cons

-company is run like a fraternity - overall poor and manipulative management
    -run as fast as you can - I now take pleasure in knowing that I will never ever again work for such a poorly managed company. It would be literally impossible to find.

3. Great first internship, must be self-motivated

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at Revolution Prep

Pros

Loved teaching high school kids, didn't enjoy the marketing and selling of the course but it's been a good skill to mention in job interviews, etc.

Cons

If you're not in a good market for SAT classes, I imagine you wouldn't make much money or have many students

Advice to Management

Nothing I can think of - very positive experience

Don't get suckered in by their "social mission"

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Revolution Prep full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No need to worry about deadlines because goals will change before you ever start something

Cons

No professional development
    No internal numbers tracking, so you'll have to compile, present, and defend your bonuses instead of simply hitting targets and triggering set compensation
    No quality of instruction
    They're simply a marketing machine instead of focusing on education
    No work life balance - you're on call 24/7

Advice to Management

Actually treat people well

Don't do it. Seriously, the good reviews are probably fake.

Former Employee - Client Relations Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Client Relations Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Revolution Prep full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really liked my co-workers a lot

Great location

Good basic experience of getting on the phone, talking to people

Cons

Any job, since they've changed the title of the role several times, involving "client relations" or "client management" or "relationship management" is a glorified term for call center employee.

I graduated from a top university and to cut to the chase, this was probably the most unprofessional environment I've ever seen.

So my boyfriend says my education is irrelevant (probably pretentious) but the point is they attract intelligent, bright and passionate recent grads into a role that is completely a grind- not in a good way. I agree with the other reviews from experience that they oversell the position and recruit from outside of LA/California and people do get stuck or complacent, it's sad. Luckily, they let me go and I ended up at top companies like Amazon and Zillow. So that worked out.

My manager was very unliked by our team, because he simply lacked respect and leadership qualities that the company's mission inspires- super power trippy as another review points out. It is absolutely true they make you work overtime and on weekend shifts to answer calls from customers that are looking to find their Saturday morning classes or have logistical questions - many times the room numbers weren't evident, a small example of lack of organization. Customers had to wait over 45 minutes to reach someone on the 1800 number we answered all day, not a great customer experience.

Then again it wasn't a wonderful employee experience either. I'd say I enjoyed about 10% of it. If you're desperate for 35k as a base, know that there are other opportunities out there. I would have rather worked at McDonalds.

Total chop shop and high turnover in every department. If you don't believe me, do a LinkedIn search for employees there and survey the average tenure for yourself.

On a happy note, my immediate coworkers were super great.

Heavy workload with little recognition for a job well done.

Former Employee - Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Revolution Prep full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Day-to-day autonomy was somewhat decent. If you like constant change and confusion at all levels, this is the place for you.

Cons

Very demanding work environment with no recognition for going above and beyond. Burn and churn mentality trickles down from the top. It is challenging to gain momentum with constant changes in business plan. Management does not trust most employees to do their jobs. No company-sponsored professional development.

Advice to Management

Develop meaningful employee development, recognition, and rewards to retain your current employees. Twelve-hour workdays should be the exception not the expectation. Hire competent managers and let them run the company. The talent is there, but the ability to let employees do their jobs is severely lacking.

Academic Advisor

I have been working at Revolution Prep full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Lunch Friday, and working with your friends.

Cons

Major turnover, leadership is very weak and its all about "Who"you know rather than "What" you know. Goals are always changing and commission is very weak. People do not get paid what they are worth and therefore the good people live. HR is a complete NIGHTMARE and is consistently making errors in payroll and benefits. Sales management used to be strong but that has changed as well. Once again not investing in their people.

Advice to Management

Hire a real HR person not just someone who failed in a different role in the company.

9. Flexible, progressive start-up!

I have been working at Revolution Prep full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing opportunities for young professionals to try your hand in many different facets of business- sales, marketing, operations, management- if you want to try something or go in a specific direction, you need to work hard and passionately and you will get the opportunity. Plus, its a for-profit business but really focuses on the students that we work with, so it's almost like working for a non-profit, but with better pay!

Cons

Sometimes not enough help for really young professionals to get real experience taking initiative beyond their specific task, though the idea is that people will bring their own creativity to the position, so it's almost like an unspoken test.

10. Great people, social work environment (which may not be for everyone), can be frustrating at times.

I have been working at Revolution Prep full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company consistently hires excellent employees. Many people are brought on in one role, and are allowed substantial mobility, if their talents are best-suited to another role/department. The open-office environment is mostly enjoyable to work in, as it fosters a great team atmosphere. Near-weekly social events make employees closer to friends than coworkers. The company is very flexible in general, and unlimited PTO is a great perk. Few employees have a rigid schedule. Free lunch every Friday, and a decent selection of snacks and sodas.

Cons

Management constantly changes directions, pivoting toward initiatives, then backing away in favor of something different. Many employees work consistent long hours, with little recognition, outside of major accomplishments. Compensation is rarely comparable to workload and responsibilities. Management is far from transparent, and accountability is lacking at all levels. The open office can be distracting. The youthful employee base is often unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Taking a consistent direction would help a lot. With the great pool of talent brought in, cultivating employee growth and development could be a huge boon to the company's success. Often times, employees find better opportunities elsewhere, which leads to somewhat consistent turnover.

11. Company full of opportunities, high growth environment and most of all, great people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Revolution Prep full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with the company for several years, in many different positions...all of which I have seen my personal and professional growth skyrocket. Revolution favors hard workers...not ones that kill themselves and give up their personal life for 100% work work work, but ones who are moldable, willing to take on new challenges that contribute to the growth of the company...and ones who take INITIATIVE! The company's tagline used to be "transforming education" and that's really what Revolutionaries (company employees) are trying to do. Every Friday, our Headquarters office has lunch together (a big perk paid for by the company) and we get to hear incredible success stories of the students we have impacted with our tutoring and advising services. Each week, I am blown away by our students' achievements and it feels great to know that I am a part of that, even if indirectly. Bottom line - if you're looking to be part of a company that is wiling to change and adapt to meet the growing demands of the education technology market, then this is the place for you. We just received the honor of being the 10th best place to work in Los Angeles and I'm glad we're finally getting the recognition our company deserves!

Cons

Having been part of the company for several years, I've seen it go through tough changes, none of which have been easy on leadership. Any company has to make it's bottom line, and in years past Revolution has had to make some difficult decisions, which involved layoffs at times. Given that we've always been such a close, best-friend-at-work kind of a company since it's opening in 2002, these times are never easy, not even for those who have been working at Revolution for several years. However, every tough decision has proven to be necessary and important for the company's future (and I've heard this from employees who have been effected by these changes...not just coming from me). This type of quick, adaptive change is not a good fit for everyone, so I would caution those who are not willing to be flexible and adapt with the company.

Advice to Management

Continue being visionaries and never lose sight of continuing to develop the strong, capable employees you have. The company you are building is incredible...especially looking back from where you started in 2002...and I can't wait to see where we are in 6 months, a year, 5 years!

RSS Feed </> Embed