Revolution Prep

Updated September 11, 2014
Updated September 11, 2014
2.8

Ramit Varma and Jake Neuberg

Pros
  • Nice people who try hard but they are constantly hiring teachers due to very high turnover (in 4 reviews)

• I started in the EMP program that was very challenging and fast paced (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Commission based - If you do nothing you will get nothing (in 3 reviews)

• The more you do for them, the more they see you as a go-to person who needs no real support, raise, or advancement (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Ivy Insiders Program review

Former Employee - Ivy Insiders Program Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Ivy Insiders Program Branch Manager

I worked at Revolution Prep as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The intention of the program is really good. It not only gives the lower class college students in Ivy League to do a meaningful internship in their first college summer but also enables the high school students to have first hand experience with those ivy league students. The training before the program was also pretty good and professional, learnt quite a lot.

Cons

The whole program is not very systematic in terms of tracking each "instructor"'s performance and their action all along the way, especially for the international branches, where the support was also very limited from the headquarter.

It would be great if more focus can be put on the international market.

Tutor who has worked at Revolution Prep for several years

Current Employee - Tutor
    Current Employee - Tutor

I have been working at Revolution Prep as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

The online platform makes it easy to do work in a variety of places, and often what is the most difficult part about walking away. It is a love / hate / abuse relationship - just when you have had your fill and are about to give up or head to another company, you get more work and are temporarily happy again. Very cyclic. Also super easy to stack sessions back to back, and once you have prepped a test or two, you are in great shape for future sessions.

Cons

The company really underpays its tutors looking at market rates and requires a lot of time doing activities that are unpaid. You get a sense of entitlement from a lot of the staffers - that you should be grateful you work there - until they have a need that they cannot fill, then you become the most wonderful and amazing tutor in the world. You also only get phone calls for "issues" that are often nothing to do with you, but rather something they don't feel like dealing with. Did something awesome and sent along an email? Don't expect a response. Having trouble with a tutoring student? You'll be ignored for a week until you figure out how to handle it on your own end... of quit, which a lot of tutors wind up doing. Loads and loads of communications issues and improperly set expectations. This may be due to the divide in the age and expertise of tutors versus those back in headquarters - you've got tutors with PhDs and years of work experience (which is what makes the tutors high caliber) but you have support staff who are fresh, green and right out of college. The changes have slowed down, but for a while, the company had a new image and process every 3-6 months.

Go back to the core of really helping students - not having a false pretense of doing so, but really only wanting to take a huge percentage of the cost paid by families. I have seen many, many changes over the years, and for some reason, you never realize it is your tutors that keep you in business. Rounds of people leaving have shown in the past that you cannot hold classes and sessions when there is no one to fill them. Work on your communication skills and stop acting like a start-up company when you have been in business for a decade.

And actually be open to feedback from a site like Glassdoor or what is coming from those who you sell to get work.

Decent workplace with good flexibility but poor compensation structure

Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at Revolution Prep as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great flexibility to be your own boss and control your own hours
    Solid framework and resources provided

Cons

Rigid rules for a select few and seemingly random things
    Poor compensation (takes an abnormally large percentage of profit for a franchise system)
    Position was misrepresented (lots of cold calling and sales more than management)

Allow employees in other regions to make their own decisions as they know their markets best.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You might care about the kids. They care about the money

I worked at Revolution Prep part-time for less than a year

Pros

- You can see the kids you teach improve their scores each time
    - Opportunity to market your own business.
    - Potential to make money

Cons

- They just want money from the kids, it doesn't seem as if they (or at least my manager) care about the learning
    - Be prepared to cold call. A lot. If you don't they'll just hound you about it even though in their training they discourage cold calls
    - Lots of costs that are shifted to you, and you give them most of your money

You should probably ask your branch managers if they're noticing any improvements in their kids at least once during the entire summer

On your own

Former Employee - Branch Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Revolution Prep as an intern for less than a year

Pros

A lot of independence was accorded to me; so it's really a sink or swim program. Fortunately, I swam.

Cons

The lack of guidance was at times tough to cope with. They give blanket training to their branch managers and hope the principles work.

Excellent opportunity to familiarize yourself with running a business at a young age.

I worked at Revolution Prep

Pros

Business exposure, schedule flexibility, personal reward of helping students

Cons

Profit sharing (although I understand)

Well paid, Well Respected, Poorly Supported, Poorly Trained

Former Employee - Instructor  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Instructor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Revolution Prep part-time for less than a year

Pros

The employers are very nice people, idealistic about education, and have a lot of respect for their employees. Your boss will always have your back at Revolution Prep, and they are concerned for your well being and continued success as an educator. I always felt like my bosses were on my side and cared about what I had to say.

Cons

The company as a whole is disorganized; my pay came two pay periods late because they forgot to add me onto their system, and I had to email 5 different people even to get that issue resolved. I had a total of an hour's training for each assignment I was given; this is passable when you're giving a 2 hour powerpoint and Q&A on Rev Prep's services, but nowhere near the professional development necessary to run a six week test prep course effectively. The bosses are also only available by phone or email; I never met my direct supervisor, and only met my "master teacher" when he interviewed me for the job- I never physically saw him again. Also, while one boss told me to avoid posting availability when I started working there because they wanted me to focus on my first assignment, another asked me to take on two assignments within my week working there. I frequently felt as if I had to represent the company without having an accurate idea what exactly the company's goals or position was with respect to the educational institutions I was interacting with. Also, my assignments were continuously in negotiation for the entirety of my employment; I quit because I was sick of making up curriculum (which I had been doing for 2+ months) while I waited for my employers to decide what it was I was to teach the students in the school where I had been assigned.

More training, more support and oversight. You should physically meet your bosses at least once during your first month working there after you've been hired to check in, see what you strengths and weaknesses are, what resources the company has to help you and what are the things you need to know, etc. There was nobody that could authoritatively tell me I was doing a good or bad job at any point; all that I got was feedback from clients, which my bosses took to mean I was doing a good job, but customer satisfaction in the moment is not a substitute for knowing you provided a quality service instead of just being charming.

Branch Manager

Former Employee - Branch Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Revolution Prep full-time for less than a year

Pros

You are very in control of your schedule and operations. It teaches you how to handle logistics and gives you a solid basis for doing later tutoring of your own.

Cons

You aren't given very much substantial support by the central management. While there are a lot of annoying phone calls that you need to check in for, they don't really tell you anything. The training does not really prepare you to teach the tests to students. I know this because I have done a lot of tutoring since then, and while I am very successful now, when I look back on my competence at the time, I can't believe a company was making students pay hundreds of dollars to take a class from me. The curriculum is basically just a general overview of everything students should have learned in high school–if that sounds unhelpful, that's because it is. Finally, the compensation is horrible. I did almost all the work and got paid about 20% of the revenue I brought in. This is by far the biggest problem. If you're good enough to do a good job, save your students the money and save yourself the middleman's fat check and go into business by yourself.

Was a lot of work for little payout

Former Employee - SAT Instructor
    Former Employee - SAT Instructor

I worked at Revolution Prep part-time for less than a year

Pros

Working as an instructor helped me develop a lot of independence (you have to market and sell the program to your future students yourself) and helped me become better at articulating my thoughts to crowds.

Cons

Very little contact with management - it was pretty much like working as an independent SAT instructor. My localmanager was not particularly helpful either.

I would restructure 'training' for the instructors.

Company changes rapidly without adequate communication * Hard to get enough work

Current Employee - Instructor  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Instructor in New York, NY

I have been working at Revolution Prep as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Nice online interface
    ability to accept online work
    Flexible scheduling
    Some quality Master Teachers who provide good support
    opportunity to not accept work temporarily and continue to work for the company later

Cons

Revolution Prep has recently transitioned to offering online classes almost exclusively. In person classes are no longer available to take on. However, the online pay rate is 70% of the in person rate. After effectively taking a 30% pay cut, I am struggling to get enough work. Despite maintaining open availability and high review ratings, I have been unable to get more than 10 hours of work per week.

The curriculum is riddled with errors that new teachers must discover the first time they teach it.

Policies are constantly changes as the company evolves and it is difficult to keep up with as communication is sub-par.

My communication with management often goes unanswered, and I have to reach out multiple times.

On one occasion my schedule was changed without my involvement in the decision. I had communicated that I canceled a trip to take on this particular assignment. After the conflicting class was canceled, I was simply informed of the decision and not consulted about my schedule.

Stop pretending that instructors can have as much work as they want if they meet expectations. Communicate changes to policy in a timely manner. Pay your instructors the rate they were promised when hired.

Worked for Revolution Prep? Contribute to the Community!