Revolution Prep

Employer Engaged

Decent materials, sketchy practices

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at Revolution Prep part-time (less than a year)

Pros

For context: I spent a summer working as a Revolution "branch manager".

Pros: Experience building a business from scratch. Some materials to help you figure out lesson plans. Immediate superiors are friendly and helpful.

Cons

The feeling that you're taking far too much money from people in vulnerable positions. The fact that the first test is the hardest, and that part of students' "score improvement" simply comes from the tests getting easier. Having a hard time getting answers from company higher-ups when you ask questions about said practices. I'm guessing that Kaplan and the like aren't any different, but Revolution just felt wrong by the end of the summer.

Respond to employees' ethical concerns.

Company full of opportunities, high growth environment and most of all, great people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Revolution Prep full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with the company for several years, in many different positions...all of which I have seen my personal and professional growth skyrocket. Revolution favors hard workers...not ones that kill themselves and give up their personal life for 100% work work work, but ones who are moldable, willing to take on new challenges that contribute to the growth of the company...and ones who take INITIATIVE! The company's tagline used to be "transforming education" and that's really what Revolutionaries (company employees) are trying to do. Every Friday, our Headquarters office has lunch together (a big perk paid for by the company) and we get to hear incredible success stories of the students we have impacted with our tutoring and advising services. Each week, I am blown away by our students' achievements and it feels great to know that I am a part of that, even if indirectly. Bottom line - if you're looking to be part of a company that is wiling to change and adapt to meet the growing demands of the education technology market, then this is the place for you. We just received the honor of being the 10th best place to work in Los Angeles and I'm glad we're finally getting the recognition our company deserves!

Cons

Having been part of the company for several years, I've seen it go through tough changes, none of which have been easy on leadership. Any company has to make it's bottom line, and in years past Revolution has had to make some difficult decisions, which involved layoffs at times. Given that we've always been such a close, best-friend-at-work kind of a company since it's opening in 2002, these times are never easy, not even for those who have been working at Revolution for several years. However, every tough decision has proven to be necessary and important for the company's future (and I've heard this from employees who have been effected by these changes...not just coming from me). This type of quick, adaptive change is not a good fit for everyone, so I would caution those who are not willing to be flexible and adapt with the company.

Continue being visionaries and never lose sight of continuing to develop the strong, capable employees you have. The company you are building is incredible...especially looking back from where you started in 2002...and I can't wait to see where we are in 6 months, a year, 5 years!

Innovative and Rewarding Workplace

Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Revolution Prep full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Ongoing training and development, the ability to take on passion projects, and a company culture that is unmatched are a few of the reasons I love coming to work EVERY day. Everyone genuinely cares about the success and happiness of each employee. The open door policy with the CEO's is very much appreciated and makes us feel like a family. We constantly elevate one another to go beyond perceived limits. You are constantly praised and encouraged to excel and develop your life skills that transcend the work place.

Cons

Things do change quickly, that is also because we realize when we're doing something wrong or could be doing something better. We tend to have new and young managers, as an entrepreneurial company - that means there is a lot of room for growth and development internally. As a nationwide and international company communication to those outside of headquarters can be more expeditious and frequent.

Takes advantage of idealistic, talented instructors.

Former Employee - Instructor
    Former Employee - Instructor

I worked at Revolution Prep full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Honestly, Revolution's curriculum is quite good. My master instructor was very accessible if I wanted to pick someone's brain about how to approach a challenging student.

If you enjoy and are good at tutoring (I have five students right now who will be scoring 5 more points on this upcoming ACT than their previous scores), Revolution will help you realize that you really need to go into business for yourself. While I would suggest trying to develop as much private business as you can, other services (like Wyzant) allow you to find students and make a considerably more than working for Revolution. Although, I will say even Wyzant takes a larger cut than I would find truly equitable, but after enough hours logged through their system, it can decrease to just 20%.

Cons

The sales staff (called Academic Advisers; very humorous) have a tendency of over-selling hours and assign tutors. The algorithm they use to rank instructors misses many key components and penalizes instructors for Revolution's mistakes. Revolution cancels many school presentations last minute, cheating instructor/presenters out of income and tutoring hours. In my last four months with Revolution, I lost $2000+ of potential income because of this practice. Because I blocked out so much time for these then-canceled presentations, the number of work hours I had in the system decreased, making it harder to get knew work based on their algorithm. When new hires were getting an additional $2.50/hr, Revolution did not automatically increase all other tutor's pay rate. Revolution effectively gives tutors about a 20% cut of what they sell the tutoring for, even though the tutor, beyond providing instruction, is primarily responsible for student/parent communications and satisfaction. Oh, and they expect basically one hour of unpaid prep work/office work for every completed tutoring hour. If the starting rate of $20 sounds great, realize it is really $10.

Realize your exploitative business model is no longer relevant with services like Wyzant allowing parents to rate instructors. Good instructors will rise to the top from public (in both meanings of the word) opinion. The instructors deserve to make more because they are the people create your business.

Scheduling system for tutors was the major drawback

Former Employee - Subject Tutor
    Former Employee - Subject Tutor

I worked at Revolution Prep part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility over your own schedule
    Good pay for the industry
    Legit work from home work

Cons

Management changed the scheduling system so students can book tutors within 15 minutes of wanting a session. This forces tutors to stay tethered to their computer hoping to get work but without a guarantee.

Require more lead time so tutors can make other arrangements if they arent booked

Avoid

I worked at Revolution Prep full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Still has a start-up feel to it despite being 10+ years old. Has an entrepreneurial spirit about it and allows for people to take their jobs into their own hands.

Cons

Senior management won't commit to a field sales structure or leadership. Extremely high turnover and zero commitment to their employees. Salary is higher than other test prep/tutoring organizations, but bonuses are rarely achieved, and they are constantly cutting their team. I would avoid joining this organization. They are likely creating a better operating income to sell in the next couple of years.

Stick to a plan.

Good Start to Run Something on Your Own

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Revolution Prep as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

- Autonomy - work when you want with your own hours. They have a good training program that allows you to interact with your fellow employees

Cons

- Pay, Pay , Pay - you really have to do this with the ability to have your bills paid for without the job. They don't set you up with anything. Even the facilities have to be found by you.

-Pay your employees better.

Proctor

I worked at Revolution Prep

Pros

Flexible and open to taking on more jobs/adding extra hours which made it a great job to work at during college. Overall very good experience.

Cons

At times, lines of communication could be difficult. Working as a proctor, I was hired via Skype and never actually met anyone else in person that worked for the company so it could feel unattached at times.

Tutor who has worked at Revolution Prep for several years

Current Contractor - Tutor
    Current Contractor - Tutor

I have been working at Revolution Prep as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

The online platform makes it easy to do work in a variety of places, and often what is the most difficult part about walking away. It is a love / hate / abuse relationship - just when you have had your fill and are about to give up or head to another company, you get more work and are temporarily happy again. Very cyclic. Also super easy to stack sessions back to back, and once you have prepped a test or two, you are in great shape for future sessions.

Cons

The company really underpays its tutors looking at market rates and requires a lot of time doing activities that are unpaid. You get a sense of entitlement from a lot of the staffers - that you should be grateful you work there - until they have a need that they cannot fill, then you become the most wonderful and amazing tutor in the world. You also only get phone calls for "issues" that are often nothing to do with you, but rather something they don't feel like dealing with. Did something awesome and sent along an email? Don't expect a response. Having trouble with a tutoring student? You'll be ignored for a week until you figure out how to handle it on your own end... of quit, which a lot of tutors wind up doing. Loads and loads of communications issues and improperly set expectations. This may be due to the divide in the age and expertise of tutors versus those back in headquarters - you've got tutors with PhDs and years of work experience (which is what makes the tutors high caliber) but you have support staff who are fresh, green and right out of college. The changes have slowed down, but for a while, the company had a new image and process every 3-6 months.

Go back to the core of really helping students - not having a false pretense of doing so, but really only wanting to take a huge percentage of the cost paid by families. I have seen many, many changes over the years, and for some reason, you never realize it is your tutors that keep you in business. Rounds of people leaving have shown in the past that you cannot hold classes and sessions when there is no one to fill them. Work on your communication skills and stop acting like a start-up company when you have been in business for a decade.

And actually be open to feedback from a site like Glassdoor or what is coming from those who you sell to get work.

Ivy Insiders Program review

Former Intern - Ivy Insiders Program Branch Manager
    Former Intern - Ivy Insiders Program Branch Manager

I worked at Revolution Prep as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The intention of the program is really good. It not only gives the lower class college students in Ivy League to do a meaningful internship in their first college summer but also enables the high school students to have first hand experience with those ivy league students. The training before the program was also pretty good and professional, learnt quite a lot.

Cons

The whole program is not very systematic in terms of tracking each "instructor"'s performance and their action all along the way, especially for the international branches, where the support was also very limited from the headquarter.

It would be great if more focus can be put on the international market.

Revolution Prep Photos