Rexam Beverage Can Americas Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Andre Balbi

An average employee's perspective.

Current Employee - Mechanic
    Current Employee - Mechanic

I have been working at Rexam Beverage Can Americas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Overtime available to boost pay. Work is interesting if you are engaged in process. Up to a certain point you can create your destiny with hard work and persistence.

Cons

Formal training not very abundant so you must be self motivated. Hard work goes along way to improve your hourly position.

Advice to Management

20% do most the work, some discipline for the other 80% would go a long way to boost morale of your key employees. The glass ceiling between hourly and management is hurting the company. Values and lessons learned on factory floor cannot be taught or learned by observation.

2. Good company to work for

Former Employee - Employed in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Employed in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rexam Beverage Can Americas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are good

Cons

Too many hours are expected

Advice to Management

Work Life Balance, family values

Be smart...if you get a job here...never talk to anyone ever

Former Employee - Quality in Chatsworth, CA
    Former Employee - Quality in Chatsworth, CA

I worked at Rexam Beverage Can Americas full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I hate that I had to give this a one star. Let me break it down a bit. There are so many great things I loved about working at Rexam. If based of the facility, the work performed, the opportunity for learning, the ability to laterally move positions to avoid boredom, the great hourly rate, the fantastic earning potential with overtime, a core of good immediate supervisors, the freedom to run the show in the particular area manned with little interference (also a negative-think of the lazy and the aloof you work with), the pride of the company name and the brands we provide product to: 5 stars There was never a day I rolled out if bed thinking I hated my job. I loved working there and I'm disappointed I no longer am a part of the Rexam company. I was proud of where I worked and proud of what I did and appreciated the paycheck I was getting while at the same time being given hands on job training and cross training in any positions I was willing to bust my behind and learn to do. I thought I was going to retire from there. I got along well with my immediate supervisors, pretty much across the board. I worked hard and took care of business and as far as they cared as long as the job was done, the numbers were in the green and the product was to spec, they rarely bothered anyone. Ultimately, it was my responsibility to follow the rules and I took advantage of a great job and a very lenient situation and because I did not have the backing I the union I lost my job. Many others have done the same and worse and are still employed there at this very moment.

Cons

The reasons I give it only one star are very few but one weighs very heavy. It turned an awesome place to an absolutely miserable nightmare. I can only speak of the facility in Chatsworth, CA Upper management in the local plant was so far removed from the reality of-what the facility actually needed, the personality conflicts between the hourlies, the application of potential improvements, the relationships the operators have with the machines they operate and work on daily and the validity of their input, the glad handing and favoritism of the union for and against their own brothers, the inability of the immediate supervisors to hold hourlies accountable when blatantly in violation for fear of retribution from the union, the wishy-washy stance on quality from everyone BUT the QC department, the lack of communication from management to hourlies except in 30 min once a month BS meetings. Ultimately, all the nonsense with management not understanding the basic stuff that happened with hourlies would have only taken me down to 4 stars, that's what they have the immediate supervisors for-so they can handle the small problems and the upper management handles the REAL things that keep them in business. If I could give it a negative review I would give it a negative 3 stars. That's because of the union. They pick and choose who they like and who they don't. They help their friends when any iota of trouble happens. They would fight for months to get an erroneous grievance overturned if it was one of the many that is a long time friend, family member, yes man-of the union officials. But when a member doesn't fall in line with them and speaks up against them, they turn the full power of the contract and company policy against that person. Anyone not in line was categorized as having "a target on their back" and was made to feel like an outcast. (The actual term we often used when the next victim was under fire). They use their close contact with upper management to undermine people's character, turning them into despicable people. They use their knowledge of the company regulations and policies to undermine peoples mistakes, turning them into a safety risk. They use their knowledge of the rules to undermine people's reliability, turning them into a burden instead of a benefit. They use their knowledge of your personal life to undermine a person's sense of worth, using peer pressure and word of mouth and gossip to make it an unhappy, uncomfortable, unfulfilling place to have to show up to. Ultimately, it was my responsibility to follow the rules and I took advantage of a very lenient situation and because I did not have the backing of the union I lost a great job. Many others have done the same and worse and are still employed there at this very moment. That does not make what I did excusable (violation of attendance policy) so I accept that I am no longer employed there by no fault of anyone except my own. I miss what I did and I miss a lot of great people that worked there. I was very proud to work there and regret that I am no longer part of it. At the same time I am so flipping glad I don't work there anymore. I wake up every day happy that I am free of the people that made that place a nightmare. No amount of money would be worth the misery.

Advice to Management

Advice to union: -Stop nitpicking and look at the big picture -Being a union official doesn't make you judge, jury and executioner. Remember this word? UNBIASED -Hold people accountable when it's necessary, not everyone should get off, sometimes screw-ups need to be answered to Advice to management: -Fire almost everyone. Start fresh. Shoot. Fire EVERYONE and start fresh. And be stern. Don't allow the union there. Pay well, just like you do now. Acknowledge positive behavior and address negative EVERY TIME. Imagine how amazing it will be there! -Stop listening to the union, they are politicians trying to put favors in their own pockets while selling people they don't like down the river. -Ask those who work with the equipment every single day what they think about potential project plans and input on said plans. Advice to employees: -Try and remember it's not middle school. It's work. Shut your mouths, mind YOUR business, do your job. -Stop feeling entitled to 3-5 hours of breaks every shift. If everyone used the time that they were SUPPOSED to work to ACTUALLY work that place would be unstoppable instead of a gossip factory and a rumor mill constant clean up project waiting to happen.

5. Supervisor

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Whitehouse, OH
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Whitehouse, OH

I have been working at Rexam Beverage Can Americas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance. The schedule is very agreeable with home and outside activities. Four(12) hour shifts and the you are off for four days.

Cons

Strategic planning needs improvement. The vision of where the company was headed wasn't clear.

Advice to Management

Add transparency to your communication skill set.

6. A Company to work for!!

Pros

Competitive pay, approachable leadership, great benefits and bonus.

Cons

Not seen any in tenure.

Poor leadership but good pay

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Fairfield, CA
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Fairfield, CA

Pros

Good pay, great benefits, bonus for team performance, steady paycheck. For the most part this is a steady place to work with a consistent paycheck. Layoffs are rare and the industry is solid.

Cons

Just a number no individual rewards, extreme Nepotism, poor leadership, uneducated managers. The politics are the worse part of the job where favoritism and family get trumped over hard work and performance. Many supervisors have relatives/children who work at the facility and turn a blind eye on performance issues and personality conflicts with other employees.

Advice to Management

Go to college and learn some basic leadership skills. Majority of supervisors and managers have limited or no formal education, and it shows.

8. No work/life balance.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Rexam Beverage Can Americas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits for salaried employees. Especially the 401K program. Unfortunately you have to be employed for three years to be vested in the retirement program. Not too many people stay there that long.

Cons

Terrible working hours. I never worked less than 60 hrs. a week. Overwhelming workload. Apathetic hourly work force. A very hostile hourly employees union. The turnover of the salaried employees is unreal. It's a constant revolving door.

Advice to Management

Hire enough people to do the job instead of relying on a few people to do the job of many. Give people the resources to do their job.

9. IM Function is failing and in turn failing the profit making company

Current Employee - Senior Applications Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rexam Beverage Can Americas full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Salary and Bonus compensation package.

Cons

Horrible people, lot of Politics, no Work/Life balance, no Training for Employee Development, Vacation policy & FMLA sucks, IM function & HR Org are poorly managed, etc.

Advice to Management

In short the company is NOT investing for future growth, but is cruising on what was designed to work 1-2 decades back. No new technology initiatives and Rexam wants to be the best in the market! Advice to IM Management - Get rid of Global IM, its not working. Focus on your strengths and concentrate on local Business/sectors.

10. Good Company overall

I have been working at Rexam Beverage Can Americas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation plan, Good People, Career Opportunities

Cons

Medical Benefits, Training and On-Boarding, Micro-Management from the Top.

Supervisors are regularly subjected to verbal abuse and workplace bullying is rampant.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Rexam Beverage Can Americas full-time

Pros

Salary and benefits are the only benefit. Period.

Cons

Middle management (Supervisors) are expected to achieve unrealistic production and spoilage goals all while working excessively long hours (13-15 hrs./day.) Managers routinely resort to belittling, profane language, and job threats to intimidate and bully subordinates. The issue is not only overlooked by HR, it is secretly encouraged as an "effective form of "management."

Advice to Management

The ONLY reason any Supervisors remain is due to the attractive compensation package. Take notice of the high turnover rate for Supervisors. At least the hourly workers have a strong Union to protect them from this type of abuse. Note: This seems to be primarily a Winston-Salem plant specific problem and is not representative of other Rexam locations.

RSS Feed </> Embed