Rexel USA

2.3

Rexel USA CEO and EVP USA Chris Hartmann
Chris Hartmann

Rexel

I worked at Rexel USA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Easy access from home using tollway.

Cons

hostile environment, poor lower level managers

managers need to be trained on how to coach employees and not yell at them in an open bay area with co-workers looking on!

needs to learn inventory philosophy to service this country

Former Employee - Branch Manager and Outside Salesman
    Former Employee - Branch Manager and Outside Salesman

I worked at Rexel USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good benefits, opportunity for advancement, good pay

Cons

upper management secretive, maintained such lean inventory that when contractors came in and wanted to walk out the door with routine supplies, those supplies were just as likely to be out of stock.

can't sell from an empty wagon, put merchandise on shelves ready to be sold to contractors

jobs

I worked at Rexel USA

Pros

good leadership and work ethic

Cons

time off salary policies and training

Nice place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Rexel USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good compensation, great coworkers, face paced environment, workload is always changing but is usally steady, standard benefits, there are a lot of pot lucks

Cons

wish more sick time was offered

project manager

Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Rexel USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People development is what Rexel is all about. The best part of the company are the people you work with, the work is not too bad, I started not knowing anything about electrical but the classes that they offer for learning is great with webinars and also in class teaching. Good opportunities for growth if you take advantage of the things that they offer.

Cons

Sales environment so you will come across some not so great people.

ABSOLUTE WORST experience of my entire career.

Former Employee - Associate of Warehouse Operations in Levittown, PA
    Former Employee - Associate of Warehouse Operations in Levittown, PA

I worked at Rexel USA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-the compensation, benefits, paid time (vacation/sick), ect. all sound very enticing. Until you get in the door, and realize the insanity, verbal/ physical threats, lack of proper training, lack of any sort of supervision, politics, personal boundaries being broken ( inappropriate calls/ text during off work time, other employees reading your emails, obtaining personal information, ect.), irrational fears from other team members that you're trying to "sabotage them and steal their jobs", ect.

Cons

Obviously I could not even contain myself, as I already begun writing cons above. If you value PEACE of MIND, and SANITY please NEVER WORK FOR REXEL. In order to list as a former employer I had to put year 2013, but my horrible experience actually took place June 2014-September 2014 so it was very recent. Not only is the company structure absolutely horrendous, disorganized, and illogical, but the people you will be asked to work with are an absolutely joke and a nightmare. The branch is set up so their are two associates, a driver, and a "warehouse lead" on location. That is it. Everybody else higher is either located in Boston MA or in Texas. Their human resources department was located in Texas as well (how convienent I know). Anyway, my "warehouse lead" had worked with the other associate for 12 years at their previous job prior to being the first two guys hired at to start this branch of Rexel. Within two weeks of my hire, both guys became insanely and irrationally paranoid that I was there to "steal their job" and "sabatoge them". After that it all kept going further downhill faster and faster. I was physically threatened multiple times, verbally threatened a ton, overall treated like dirt, my email was broken in to, I was purposely put in situations to fail, purposely not trained and not informed. The "warehouse lead" would chastize and threaten me for being a little late, even though every morning he typically arrived between 930-10:00 am (start time was 7:30 am). I am also very proud to say I am 3 years sober, and on a couple occasions there was blatant drinking on the job in my presence. I was told "if you tell anybody about this I will end you" by the lead. Many days when they were paranoid, they would gang up on me and physically intimidate me in the office, slam the door, and get nose to nose to me, and scream in my face. this was unfortunately a regular occurance, and the lack of any sort of higher management or true supervisor on location made it an environment where all of this horrendous conduct could freely transpire. In the end I finally hit a wall, emailed the district manager with an immediate resignation (I had emailed him a few times about concerns previously, then he breached confidentiality and eluded them to the lead, making my life even worse) and got the heck out of there. I didn't even bother ever contacting HR or anybody, because I had 0 faith in this horrible company to do the right thing. Keep in mind I hung in their for over 3 months, which is a long enough stretch of time to get an idea of what the day to day life at a company is going to be. So PLEASE for YOUR OWN GOOD heed my advice and DO NOT WORK AT REXEL.

Put somebody AT LOCATION that is actually going to SUPERVISE and that MATTERS and has MORALS and that will not let HORRIBLY INAPPROPRIATE CONDUCT and HARASSMENT be the NORM.. Stop this "let the branches run themselves" philosophy, it doesn't work and puts people's general well being in danger. As well as makes it insanely difficult to get the job even DONE.

Stable for some but not for others

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Rexel USA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits. Some corporate departments are very stable and haven't encountered layoffs or RIFs

Cons

Constant challenges with IT systems. Company spends a lot of unnecessary money on system conversions and on maintaining two major office locations in CT and TX as people fly back and forth each week. Field has encountered layoffs and branch consolidations. Company going through major transition.

Communicate with employees!

Dallas HQ

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Rexel USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good worklife balance nice building lobby?

Cons

extreme hierarchy a lack of any corporate culture. good old boys club environment. The company does not care about the employees and tries to cut the very few benefits there are. Many of the VPs are not qualified have no idea what they are doing. Department managers do their own thing and everyone is scared to speak out. open door policy does not exist , if you have a suggestion on an improvement, you are better off keeping it to yourself. company is not open to change.

Management currently has a very holier than thou superiority complex trickles down into workforce. Employee turnover is extremely high for this reason and because there is a general lack of disregard for employee well-being. Need to get rid of the deadweight employees who are still employed only because they stuck around for several years.

Losing it's focus

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Rexel USA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The field employees are great to work with and are dedicated to their customers.

Cons

Management of the Mid-Atlantic has no clue as to what's happening. Before the current management of this division it was a thriving division that has only gone downhill. The distribution warehouse never has the stock that is needed to restock the branches and therefore we are losing customers to our competition and management doesn't even want to her this. They are like an ostrich with their head buried in the sand.

Wake up before this company goes down the tubes!

poor management and training

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Clerk in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Clerk in Dallas, TX

I worked at Rexel USA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good marketing and support of branch personnel

Cons

low pay, poor supervisors, revolving door for temps in AP
    lack of support and recognition of long-time employees who have been loyal
    extremely uneven supervision and training in AP

watch your supervisors - and the people who recommend them
    too many outside hires when the talent and experience is already there...