Reynolds American

Reynolds American Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Reynolds American Chairman, President, & CEO Daniel M. Delen

Daniel M. Delen

Pros
  • Great benefits, Good starting pay, and for the most part great team members(in 32 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits, but don't think it's long term(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • There is almost zero work/ life balance(in 14 reviews)

• Watch your back, senior management in information management have a problem with communicating the truth(in 14 reviews)

Good Career Starting Point

Territory Manager II (Former Employee)

ProsYou can create your own schedule, autonomy, company car without personal restrictions (you do pay a fee monthly for use). 6% matching 401k plan, relaxed company atmosphere, good sales training course (CSS course). The pay is on the higher end compared to the rest of the Rep jobs out there. You can make a decent living off of a TM 3 salary if you live in an affordable location. From my understanding the job security is great. They rarely fire anyone, and pretty much the only way to get fired seems to be by falsifying calls. Although the industry does decline every year, so cuts will have to be made in the future. RJR is emerging as the leader in every category except combustibles (cigarettes) through their innovative nature. They allow and encourage true partnership building relationships. Looks good on a resume.
    You should have a pretty good work-life balance, of course if you want to receive promotions then your work life balance becomes a little more geared towards work. All of this depends on your manager as well, I was lucky to have a really good one. Some are extremely strict on scheduling, and expect 8-5 in the field, 6-8 computer work and at least 2 hours of computer work on the weekends. Good vacation policy, 17 days on your first year, and freedom to use those whenever.

ConsThis job grows ever redundant, after you’ve established your assignment; you spend most of your days twiddling your thumbs. 99% of what you’ll be doing on a day to day basis is merchandising. If you like a challenging work environment this is not it. You also spend 95% of your time in convenience stores; so the majority of your customers will likely hate their job, which makes yours more difficult. Get used to someone complaining every time you have to remerchandise a fixture. On this topic, the majority of the merchandising you’ll be doing will have very little impact on market share, my region had 2 assignments that were vacant for an extended period of time, and those ranked in the top of region (kind of puts what you do on a day to day basis in perspective).
    You can be in dangerous work environments; depending on the assignment you are given. Speaking of assignments, you have very little choice where you are relocated, and the only way to receive promotions is based on your willingness to relocate. Promotions are also very rare, in my year and a half with the company; I believe I saw 4 promotions to the Account Manager level in the entire county. When I first started the managers would claim that promotions were based on performance, they are finally starting to admit that there is a log jam in the company now, and that high performers are looking at a timeframe of around 5 years before they can move out of the territory manager role.
    The biggest con for me is how your performance is rated. There are not any metric figures to reach, or goals they expect you to achieve to get on the succession list, or to receive a better bonus rating. My peers and I after countlessly asking truly don’t have an understanding of how our performance is rated, other than all of the managers gather in a panel, and subjectively compare your performance to everyone else in your region. This process has become so frustrating to some that they’ve stopped doing the extra things, because majority of the time it doesn’t result in a higher bonus. They’ll receive the same bonus rating as someone who did the bare minimum not to get fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluate how you rate employee’s performance. Set some metric standards for receiving high achieves and exceeds ratings, along with a standard for what you want to see in employees to reach the account manager position. I understand that in a declining industry, judging performance based upon share growth wouldn’t be effective. I understand this could be difficult, but if metric standards were set, and employees did not feel like everything was so subjective, I believe you would get better results and a higher retention span for high performers. Look at how your employees responded to the CE goal set last year. Setting reachable metric goals could drastically improve this company. Some metric goals could be call coverage, execution on new product implementation, merchandising compliance, out of stocks, etc.

Learned alot.

Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) Winston-Salem, NC

ProsGreat solid company to work for.

ConsDepartmental head butts. Need to work together rather then against each other.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee all sides, not just one.

Watch your back

Manager (Former Employee) Winston-Salem, NC

ProsGood salary and benefits for area

ConsWatch your back, senior management in information management have a problem with communicating the truth. Non transparent, the good old boy culture operating at high capacity.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring the team work culture back

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company

Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsPays well
    Allows employees to control their own territory

ConsCan have large territories and lost of time on the road

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!!

Decent place

ProsWork environment was ok most of the time

ConsWorking in a smaller branch, there was CONSTANT worry of whether or not your job was secure. No encouragement from supervisors to make employees feel secure.

They purchased my former company and rooted out seasoned professionals.

Territory Manager II (Former Employee)

ProsField sales is a great place for but kissers.

ConsRookies now running the show.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up.

Great for someone looking for B2B experience out of college but not much more.

Territory Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsUnsupervised for the majority of time, Company Car, Co-Workers are all eager to help, Great Training

ConsConstant change of strategy, Clients, Most business conducted in dangerous areas, little to no room for advancement, Tobacco Industry is in decline yet management continues to pitch "increased sales"

Advice to Senior ManagementChange pay structure in California, Understand client sophistication level, terrible compensation program

Great salary / benefits / challenging culture

Senior Scientist (Former Employee) Winston-Salem, NC

ProsExcellent salary and benefits. At times way to political which causes people to go along for the sake of survival. Work environment improved for employees over the years to make it attractive to stay.

ConsChallenging high performance culture to an excess. Management never ever satisfied with employee performance even in years where you left it all on the field and gave till it hurt your personal life.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove middle management communication skills

Old school mentality, openly subject non smokers to chain smokers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay is okay for the area, decent tuition reimbursement, somewhat trying to grow and recognize change is needed, but need to actually act on the need for change!

ConsPoor work environment, over worked, poor training, benefits aren't NEARLY as good as they'd like you to believe. Try to scare their employees into thinking they're the only game in town and everything is the best of the best there which isn't true!

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome aware of what your competition offers or you'll continue to lose good talent!!!

Good Learning Opportunity for recent graduates

Manager (Current Employee) Winston-Salem, NC

ProsThe people are are great to work with

ConsWork Life Balance is not very good.

Worked for Reynolds American? Contribute to the Community!