Reynolds American

Reynolds American Reviews

Updated Mar 25, 2014

Reynolds American Chairman, President, & CEO Daniel M. Delen

Daniel M. Delen

Pros:
  • "Great benefits, Good starting pay, and for the most part great team members"
    in 26 reviews
  • "The work life balance is just right"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is almost zero work/ life balance"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Smugness of senior management and no advancement if you've been a territory rep more than 5 years"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

never know what youre gonna get

Territory Manager III (Current Employee)
Clovis, CA

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than a year

Prossomething different every day, good pay

Conswork with some crazy retailers and in some dangerous areas

Advice to Senior Managementlet employees pick what region they want to work in

Enjoyed my time there, company treated me well, respected my thoughts and opinions at the time.

I worked at Reynolds American full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAnyone who has worked in the tobacco industry knows how stressful it can be. But as long as you know that than make sure you work for the one company that treats you well and with respect. My time at RJ Reynolds was by far the best of any company I have worked for. Training was exceptional, very forward thinking. Pay and benefits for the job I did have been hard to replace.

ConsMostly outside the company itself. Stressful and very competitive. Fighting all the time with your competition, retailers, and anti- smoking climate.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that people are not always going to be open to constant relocation, and the answers aren't with every kid just out of college with a piece of paper.

Sales rep

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Reynolds American full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWell known name & many in demand products. Good salary and benefits. Company car.

ConsManagement more concerned with market share and distribution than with customers and ethics. Reps are required to act like they own the retail stores they deal with. It's RJR's way or no way.

Advice to Senior ManagementWithout your customers you have nothing.

Great place to get cross functional experience

I worked at Reynolds American full-time

ProsExposure to top execs across all functions
Ability to grow and move up

ConsNot a lot of external hiring

Pay is "ok" 60+ hrs/wk; the company seems headed towards MICRO mgmt. as good DMs are headed out & replaced by micro mgrs

Territory Manager III (Current Employee)

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits (i.e. company car, small reimbursement for cell/internet). If you had asked me 1-2 years ago I would have said the pros span across the board: salary, bonus, fun work environment, great work life balance, great perks, great management (DM level), great company (this was during the Susan Ivey era). Since then, the company has gone south, 8am - 7pm work days with no lunch aren't uncommon, "work/life" balance is now "work/work some more" and management spends more time being "yes men" to their higher ups than they do focusing and thinking about implementing ideas that can actually give results.

ConsFreedom & work/life balance which was a major selling point for working here is gone, company seems to have 0 confidence in reps to do their jobs & have implemented systems to 'keep tabs' on where you are at all times during the day...take a lunch a 11:30 & everyone above you will know. As such most work straight through lunch.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonor your commitments to us, what happened to transparency? What happened to home/life balance? No one knows our territory's better than us, why do we need 5 different people telling us 5 different things & questioning us on "why is a sign there or there."

IF YOU SAY WE ARE OUR OWN CEO'S, LET US BE OUR OWN CEO'S! Show that you believe in our ability and integrity, and remove "big brother" from our systems; keep it for anything internal but don't allow it to be visible to everyone...I guarantee productivity will continually decline as more and more DM's spend more time watching that clock & our calendars, resulting in more phonecalls from DM's (Why weren't you here at "such & such time" or "why did you take this hour break at this time") these phone calls have become detrimental to productivity! Instead of strict focus on business, reps are more & more concerned with the computer, and every time we have to explain ourselves, it takes away from what we could be doing to improve business! The computer is a "reporting tool" with proper preparation analyzing reports, etc We could easily work without a computer for a week and be more productive by making calls & taking notes on paper.

My RJ Reynolds Experience 5 years

Territory Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 5 years

ProsEasy Job with decent salary after you put in the time. This job is cake. You pretty much get paid decent to drive around and bs with people.Put up with management once a month and that's it.
Pretty much have a guaranteed base bonus every year even if you half ass it.
Company Car, benefits.

ConsManagement is pretty awful. They are all brainwashed into thinking an old way of thinking and they push that on everyone else. Even younger management is brainwashed into it. You will only get promoted if you are in a Urban Market.
Management preaches 1 thing and expects another.
They try to make the marketing and sales of tobacco products rocket science.
No matter how much you grow you assignment and increase market share it does not matter. If you are not on the succession list you will not get a high achieves rating. Getting on succession list only happens if you are in larger market and completely suck some ass.
Division management really is useless. I am not sure what they're roll is. It is supposed to be to develop and move reps up and ge them promoted but they all act like a babysitter.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure it out. I mean really figure it out. Let your reps do their thing. You have hired a ton of smart outgoing fresh out of college students. Don't stifle them or keep them from using their smarts and intelligence.
Get out of your old way of thinking. Your merchandising tactics are completely out of control. You get an inch and take a mile. You still haven't figured it out yet that merchandising does not sell your product or increase market share. It is probably the least important aspect of the tobacco industry and you treat it like it's the most important/

Great

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

ProsGreat company to work for and lots of perks.

ConsA lot of change and expectations for every aspect of the job

Very Good, too much red tape

I worked at Reynolds American

ProsGood salary and possible bonus
Freedom to schedule your day
Company car that you can use whenever you want
Good benefits

ConsThere is a lot of micro management
Too much time making reports and not selling
Need to be relocatable to have chance of promotion

Sales Representative

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Reynolds American full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNumber two company in the industry.

ConsIf you don't want to relocate, don't expect to get promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Pretty Good, but....

Territory Manager II (Former Employee)

I worked at Reynolds American full-time for more than a year

ProsAwesome perks, benefits and job freedom

ConsHave to live in the middle of no where and constantly have a carrot dangled in front of your face about being promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest, "transparent" and up front about promotion opportunities.

Worked for Reynolds American? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Reynolds American reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Reynolds American CEO Daniel M. Delen. All 220 reviews posted anonymously by Reynolds American employees.