Reynolds American

Updated September 17, 2014
3.3

Reynolds American Chairman, President, & CEO Daniel M. Delen
Daniel M. Delen

Pros
  • Great benefits, Good starting pay, and for the most part great team members (in 32 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits, but don't think it's long term (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • There is almost zero work/ life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Watch your back, senior management in information management have a problem with communicating the truth (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic Company to work for

Current Employee - Territory Manager II  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compensation is excellent for entry-level (new-hires get $43,000 base pay plus performance based annual bonus, very nice company car and free gas, company matching 401k, reimbursements for cell-phone and internet). The company invests heavily into the training and development of skills in their employees. The skills they want you to use may seem pointless due to the incompetence of the people you deal with on a day to day basis at the Territory Manager position, but they are preparing you for the next level when you are in control of large accounts of 20+ stores. I have seen some comments that there is no advancement opportunities or you must "play the corporate game" in order to be promoted, simply not true. You have to be personable and apply the skills that they spend so much money teaching you, welcome to real-life. Flexible with work hours and you plan your own week. 17 days paid vacation upon hire and free to use them whenever you want (no black-out dates). Job security is great. Very laid back culture with the company and they know how to have fun, work hard-play hard culture.

Cons

Work can become monotonous after you get your territory in order. Dealing with employees of convenience stores is not the most prestigious job, but again, you must use "people" skills to get what you need. There are some managers that can micro manage and make your job difficult and stressful, but there are not many of them, the company is doing a good job of weeding those people out.

Do not move new-hires across the country, try to keep them more local to their home cities, even regional relocations would be better.

Good Company for young people, not a long term career

Former Employee - Territory Manager III  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Territory Manager III in Richmond, VA

I worked at Reynolds American full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company Car, good pay and benefits, no weekends, great company meetings.

Cons

Very aggressive and competitive people. If you are over 35 years old, you will be pushed to the side and never promoted. It is based on education, and self promotion, experience and customer service are no longer rewarded.

Stop trying to make the company younger, education is not always as important as experience in every situation.

The salary is great, the job is dirty.

Former Employee - Territory Manager III  in  Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Territory Manager III in Fresno, CA

I worked at Reynolds American full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great pay, nice vehicles, plenty of vacation time.

Cons

Working in liquor stores, in bad neighborhoods gets old. You will earn every penny. There is a clear division between TM's and upper management. Some managers behave like high school cliques. If you report a problem with a manager to work place practices, you can be certain nothing will be done. Myself and 3 other team members reported a manager several times, with no results. Turn over is ridiculous. Work load is tremendous and difficult to keep up with if you are doing the job well.

Step off of the "high horse" please.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

SFNTC-Does Not Care About Employees Health or Well Being

I worked at Reynolds American full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

401K, decent salary, company car

Cons

I was in major car accidents two years in a row, no fault of mine, SFNTC responded with harassment and termination.

1.) 2013: Passenger in a vehicle that was t-boned by another car running a red light: this accident was responded to with harassment by my manager to "get back to work" and "I should have gotten a second opinion because the doctor is just trying to make money off of me"after I had to go on short-term disability. In fact I was threatened and pressured to go back to work before my short-term disability was up twice, only to be told by HR to return home. I was denied medically documented restrictions upon my return to work, and forced to put my physical health in jeopardy.

2.) 2014: Rear ended by a vehicle going 55-60 mph: I was denied short-term disability payments for 10 weeks (still have not received payment), therefore having to go into debt and drain savings to pay mortgage, bills, etc. Then upon my return to work I was terminated. Even after termination, SFNTC didn't cancel POS orders and I have received over 300 lbs of boxes of company POS (point-of-sale material) in the mail for a company I no longer work for. This is in addition to the literal short ton (2,000 lbs) of POS previously being stored in my garage to deal with.

So, the day I get back from a major back injury I am terminated, and left with over 2,300 lbs of company material to bring to a landfill.

SFNTC does not care about their employees.

Take a good, hard look at the Director levels. They are bringing your company down more and more, year after year. Don't allow them to buy themselves out of trouble with words, monitor them and see first hand how disgustingly unethical your Executive Leadership Team has become.

Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Company: Toxic Environment, Cover-Ups, Affairs, Manipulation

I worked at Reynolds American full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Competitive salary, 401K match, health benefits

Cons

All I can give you is an honest account of my time at SFNTC. I was encouraged to work myself into negative health conditions, meanwhile my manager was having an affair with an employee they were managing, consequently fast tracking them ahead of me, all the while telling me I was "the next to go". Essentially misleading, even encouraging me to work at an unhealthy rate (two bulging discs in my lower back, Stage II hypertension blood pressure) under the impression that I had the shot at a promotion while simultaneously conducting extremely unethical behavior. This was covered up, and my co-worker ended up quitting when it came out. When my negative health conditions came to light, I was reprimanded for "working at an unhealthy rate". Later that manager was moved to another state.

Additionally, another manager of mine was transferred to another state after his comments about women and people with disabilities was brought to attention. Not fired, relocated, covered-up. They don't want you to think reporting unethical behavior will be rewarded. The problem will be isolated and you will be the one punished.

This is a good transition into the fact that management arbitrarily changes every year, so you'll have to start from scratch with a new boss every 12-18 months. These will be first time managers too. I had 4 managers in 5 years, all of whom was their first experience managing people.

If you get "in" with the protected class of directors, good for you, you're golden. Otherwise, you will be manipulated and lied to on a daily basis. If you're "in the club" at SFNTC, you essentially have nothing to worry about. You don't even have to make your numbers, or have any sort of managerial presence. Many of these directors can be replaced with quarterly e-mails and have the same effect.

Bottom line, this is a great job if you have zero integrity and are willing to sell yourself to a group of directors who are very unethical. You are judged by a closed "panel" of these directors and managers who essentially make up a "club". If they don't like you, they will rate you low even if you exceed your numbers. Part of their strategy is making 50% of your annual rating "qualitative". So, 1/2 your rating every year is based on their opinion of you, not your actual work.

The company got so bad with lawsuits, that they made everyone sign an arbitration agreement, making it very difficult to sue for their unethical behaviors. If you don't sign this agreement, you do not receive your bonus and become labeled a "troublemaker", a cheap way to force you into it, semi-legally.

Finally, they present an image of being a "Green" company, when in reality the most "Green" thing they can do is shut down. SFNTC participates in sustainable agriculture as a marketing scheme, a way to fool their consumers.

At the end of the day, cigarettes are (no matter how you grow the tobacco):
    A.) the most littered object on the planet
    B.) produce 10 times the air pollution as diesel exhaust.

They really push their "Green" image on you because this is the only thing that sets them apart in the market place. Additionally, they give presentations on their attempt to target LOHAS consumers (Lifestyle of Health and Sustainability). Cigarettes and health in the same sentence? I have had Directors at meetings, drunk, laugh about how "I don't even recycle". It's really quite disturbing how this company operates. Greenwashing in its highest form.

They give you ammunition like "people tend to smoke less because this cigarette burns longer" but fail to mention the fact that due to having 25% more tobacco than competitors means having much more tar and nicotine than the average cigarette. They find loopholes to promote the product as a "healthy alternative" without actually putting those words in print. Realistically, American Spirit is the worst cigarette for you, and the most addictive, simply due to the increased tar and nicotine coming from 25% more tobacco per stick. But they tell you to tell people that they will smoke less because it burns longer.

They use Native American symbolism to peddle this product to a certain type of consumer and claim they support college funds for Native Americans. When this is looked into, it's a very small fraction of their profit, almost non-existent. But they love to preach their ethics and integrity nonetheless.

All in all this is the most toxic environment I have ever been a part of and I am happy to be out. Their toxicity filtered into almost every aspect of my life. I'm glad to move on.

Watch your management closely or the same problems will occur time and time again, despite how many employees are filtered in and out. It's not the bottom that is creating all the issues, it's the top. Keep a close watch on your directors and try to regain some sort of culture. Don't preach it, take actual action. If the same issues keep coming up, it's a sign that it's not the deserted individuals but the toxic culture created by management and directors.

HR Analyst

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Reynolds American full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company offers great pay and benefits including health, dental education assistance, flex time, etc. I had the opportunity to work with some wonderful co-workers.

Cons

The company frequently downsizes so layoffs happen every couple of years. Ongoing employees frequently have long tenures so there is little opportunity for advancement made more pronounced because of the diminishing number of positions caused by downsizing. People smoke in the office.

Awesome experiences and opportunities have been provided to me

Current Employee - Director  in  Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Director in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I am allowed to do my work without constant oversight. I have the opportunity to help other employees

Cons

Work-life balance is very challenging!

Continue to be transparent and provide opportunites to high performing employees.

Great experience and training

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits and salary. Flexible work schedule and excellent training. Day to day work is generally not difficult

Cons

Travelling often depending on the territory, sometimes national decisions don't translate well to the individual locations.

A little more flexibility in terms of contracts would be nice

Good place to work, especially starting your career

Current Employee - Territory Manager II  in  Chambersburg, PA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager II in Chambersburg, PA

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay (especially for young people fresh out of college)
    Good bonus
    Great Car benefit! personal use/ spouse use
    Opportunity to get 2 raises (6% and then 8% in 3 years)
    If you have good management, day to day can be great, pretty easy!
    Good time off benefits
    good health/401K
    Good sales rep experience

Cons

Have to play the "game" to get promoted
    Industry is taboo... people say some interesting things about you
    You have to be mobile... which can be really good or really bad
    in gas stations all day, not the most glamorous work

Don't micro manage and TM's will be happier

Great starting point but don't stay long

Former Employee - Senior Director  in  Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Reynolds American full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great pay and benefits, but don't think it's long term. You'll start off much higher but in the long haul you'll make less, unless you can move up every 3 years max. don't wait longer than that. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to work there, so it's a great "start out" company. They will provide a lot of training that you will eventually want to take someplace else.

Cons

Once you work in tobacco, in many cases when you go to move on, other companies will question your judgement due to the fact you worked for a tobacco co. It unfortunate and based on ignorance, but true. Long term growth and advancement will NOT be as fast with other CPG's if you are a result oriented hard working, innovative type person.

This is a more top down style run company versus a bottoms up company. Get in make friends and sound good and you'll do well. Used to be a very result oriented company. They do not value longer term experience due to the potential long term cost of longer term employee's. It more of a what have you done for me lately management style. Upper management rarely changes, reducing opportunity at the higher positions.

Worked for Reynolds American? Contribute to the Community!