Reynolds American Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. It does not get better than RJR!

Current Employee - Trade Marketing
    Current Employee - Trade Marketing

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

competitive salary, great benefits, 401k match, company vehicle, work hard / play hard, certification, critical selling skills - The list goes on

Cons

Nothing I can think of other than IT issues, as the database runs very slow Promotions are a lot less as of late due to little turnover - Actually a positive

Advice to Management

Continue driving the coaching culture

Good Career Starting Point

Former Employee - Territory Manager II

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can create your own schedule, autonomy, company car without personal restrictions (you do pay a fee monthly for use). 6% matching 401k plan, relaxed company atmosphere, good sales training course (CSS course). The pay is on the higher end compared to the rest of the Rep jobs out there. You can make a decent living off of a TM 3 salary if you live in an affordable location. From my understanding the job security is great. They rarely fire anyone, and pretty much the only way to get fired seems to be by falsifying calls. Although the industry does decline every year, so cuts will have to be made in the future. RJR is emerging as the leader in every category except combustibles (cigarettes) through their innovative nature. They allow and encourage true partnership building relationships. Looks good on a resume. You should have a pretty good work-life balance, of course if you want to receive promotions then your work life balance becomes a little more geared towards work. All of this depends on your manager as well, I was lucky to have a really good one. Some are extremely strict on scheduling, and expect 8-5 in the field, 6-8 computer work and at least 2 hours of computer work on the weekends. Good vacation policy, 17 days on your first year, and freedom to use those whenever.

Cons

This job grows ever redundant, after you’ve established your assignment; you spend most of your days twiddling your thumbs. 99% of what you’ll be doing on a day to day basis is merchandising. If you like a challenging work environment this is not it. You also spend 95% of your time in convenience stores; so the majority of your customers will likely hate their job, which makes yours more difficult. Get used to someone complaining every time you have to remerchandise a fixture. On this topic, the majority of the merchandising you’ll be doing will have very little impact on market share, my region had 2 assignments that were vacant for an extended period of time, and those ranked in the top of region (kind of puts what you do on a day to day basis in perspective). You can be in dangerous work environments; depending on the assignment you are given. Speaking of assignments, you have very little choice where you are relocated, and the only way to receive promotions is based on your willingness to relocate. Promotions are also very rare, in my year and a half with the company; I believe I saw 4 promotions to the Account Manager level in the entire county. When I first started the managers would claim that promotions were based on performance, they are finally starting to admit that there is a log jam in the company now, and that high performers are looking at a timeframe of around 5 years before they can move out of the territory manager role. The biggest con for me is how your performance is rated. There are not any metric figures to reach, or goals they expect you to achieve to get on the succession list, or to receive a better bonus rating. My peers and I after countlessly asking truly don’t have an understanding of how our performance is rated, other than all of the managers gather in a panel, and subjectively compare your performance to everyone else in your region. This process has become so frustrating to some that they’ve stopped doing the extra things, because majority of the time it doesn’t result in a higher bonus. They’ll receive the same bonus rating as someone who did the bare minimum not to get fired.

Advice to Management

Evaluate how you rate employee’s performance. Set some metric standards for receiving high achieves and exceeds ratings, along with a standard for what you want to see in employees to reach the account manager position. I understand that in a declining industry, judging performance based upon share growth wouldn’t be effective. I understand this could be difficult, but if metric standards were set, and employees did not feel like everything was so subjective, I believe you would get better results and a higher retention span for high performers. Look at how your employees responded to the CE goal set last year. Setting reachable metric goals could drastically improve this company. Some metric goals could be call coverage, execution on new product implementation, merchandising compliance, out of stocks, etc.

3. Watch your back

Former Employee - Manager in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Manager in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary and benefits for area

Cons

Watch your back, senior management in information management have a problem with communicating the truth. Non transparent, the good old boy culture operating at high capacity.

Advice to Management

Bring the team work culture back

5. Great Company

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pays well Allows employees to control their own territory

Cons

Can have large territories and lost of time on the road

Advice to Management

Keep it up!!

They purchased my former company and rooted out seasoned professionals.

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Field sales is a great place for but kissers.

Cons

Rookies now running the show.

Advice to Management

Grow up.

7. Decent place

Pros

Work environment was ok most of the time

Cons

Working in a smaller branch, there was CONSTANT worry of whether or not your job was secure. No encouragement from supervisors to make employees feel secure.

8. Great for someone looking for B2B experience out of college but not much more.

Current Employee - Territory Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unsupervised for the majority of time, Company Car, Co-Workers are all eager to help, Great Training

Cons

Constant change of strategy, Clients, Most business conducted in dangerous areas, little to no room for advancement, Tobacco Industry is in decline yet management continues to pitch "increased sales"

Advice to Management

Change pay structure in California, Understand client sophistication level, terrible compensation program

9. Good Learning Opportunity for recent graduates

Current Employee - Manager in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people are are great to work with

Cons

Work Life Balance is not very good.

10. Great salary / benefits / challenging culture

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent salary and benefits. At times way to political which causes people to go along for the sake of survival. Work environment improved for employees over the years to make it attractive to stay.

Cons

Challenging high performance culture to an excess. Management never ever satisfied with employee performance even in years where you left it all on the field and gave till it hurt your personal life.

Advice to Management

Improve middle management communication skills

Territory Manager means Glorified Merchandiser in this Company

Current Employee - Territory Manager III in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager III in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are many great Pros to the job like a company car, paid personal gas and insurance, full benefits, cell phone and internet allowance. There are some pretty nice co-workers you will come across, and the freedom of not having to see a manager everyday is great. The CEO is also a very nice and down to earth guy if you ever get a chance to meet him.

Cons

Keep in mind that the tobacco industry is declining, but Division Managers will constantly put pressure on you to increase share for 2nd tier Camel products that are much less popular than the competition (Altria). Cons: 1. Don't even think about career advancement, because there are barely any positions to strive for. Even if you do become a division manager after 5-10 years, you will still be going into gas stations and liquor stores for a living. 2. Going into gas stations and liquors stores everyday will frustrate you and you will often deal with hostile situations. 3. If you accept any relocation and moving bonus you will have to repay it if you leave within a year, and the company will charge you interest if you can't pay in a lump sum 4. You will not be able to use your brain at all and have to do merchandising all day (aka hanging up signs and changing signs). 5. The longer you spend in the company the more stupid you will feel. You will be out of touch with highly important skills you learn at other companies and even in excel classes at school. 6. The company hires 1.5 people per day, because there are so many dissatisfied employees. Probably 4/5 people I have come across are actively looking for new employment. 9. No real sense of team. It really does feel lonely after a while especially if you had to relocate and your closest co-worker is far away. My advice to any college graduates or people with some sort of ambition who are on the job hunt: Skip this job and keep waiting for a better company!

Advice to Management

Understand that many people are highly talented and skilled in performing job functions other than merchandising and you will stop having such a high employee turnover.

RSS Feed </> Embed