Reynolds Smith and Hills, Inc

Reynolds Smith and Hills, Inc CEO Leerie T Jenkins Jr

Leerie T Jenkins Jr

Great marketing learning experience in Aerospace and Defense

Intern (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsExtensive training in the Aerospace and Defense industry and every day there was something to do and projects to work on to keep busy. Also provided interns a look at how an architecture and engineering company works in the office and how they accomplish winning federal contracts.

ConsOnly offers a one-time internship per person for 3-months. Regardless if they believe you've provided excellent quality work, they cannot extend the internship because of Senior Management.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep interns on board if you see potential for them to work as a full-time employee.

Fair place to work in infrastructure services

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunities to work on large projects

ConsEmployees are just numbers, unless they're a vice president or higher.

Vision of the future is not compatible with realities (Aviation Dept)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe best thing about the company is the people. For the most part they are friendly and have a smaller town vibe because a lot of the projects and offices are located in secondary hub airports. Their compensation is fair, about on par with other firms but not much better. Benefits are possibly slightly better than average.

ConsWhere to start. There used to be a clear direction for the company, focus on secondary hubs and small airports. We're specialized in that and we have the skills and capabilities. Recently RS&H started cutting people to the point where the offices are only barely functional yet going after big primary hub airports which we no longer have the capability to complete. This just creates stress and inefficiency. In addition, since each office is so lean now, there isn't really much in the way of promotion and raises generally keep up with inflation.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your strengths and stop trying to play with the big boys unless you really are prepared to spend the resources to compete.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Project manager

Project Manager (Former Employee)

ProsLow key, relaxed atmosphere, decent pay and good training for project managers.

ConsNo accountability for performance at management level. Staff takes blame for mismanagement.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold employees accountable for performance.

I enjoyed the people and the environment, but wasn't challenged.

Environmental Scientist (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsA very laid back environment and flexible work schedule. The company has a good reputation in their industry for producing quality work and being very customer focused. A zero debt company.

ConsManagement is very inconsistent. Some are very approachable, while others are very closed off and contribute very little to the growth and development of those they supervise. It's also nearly impossible to be promoted at RS&H. Even extremely motivated employees never find out about open positions above them until after they are already filled. The company likes to fill new positions by stealing employees away from their competitors versus promoting from within. Benefits and pay are below average for the industry. I left the company for a much better opportunity because I could not get a promotion in 6 years of working there. Annual raises were only enough to cover the cost of living increase.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within, and increase pay and benefits to hire and retain talented employees.

Great projects, 'some' great people

Engineer (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsSome of the employees are really great to work with. Majority of the projects are interesting.

ConsOn the job training opportunities are not open to ALL employees. There is a level of favoritism displayed when projects are assigned. Cliques are VERY REAL here. Trust your instincts.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more diverse in your selection of candidates. Be fair in project assignments. Do not show favoritism. While you may believe it goes unnoticed, be assured, it does not.

Zero promotions

CAD Tech (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsSteady work and a fair salary

ConsThere is not a single individual in the company that has ever been promoted from the position they were hired for.
    They never promote from within.
    The budget for raises is given to the department heads in a lump sum. The less they dole out the more for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within.

Best Place to Work For

Transportation Engineer (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsMid-size company, where most of the senior management knows who you are and what you do.

Senior Management normally takes time to appreciate and acknowledge employees performance.

ConsNot sure, if there any Cons of this place. If I have to list something, being a small company sometimes makes it challenging for resoources.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey do a great job, especially looking into future nad recognizing the right people as future leaders for diffrent roles.

Great Place to Work

Senior Aviation Consultant (Former Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsEnjoyed the diversity of projects to work on. However, the key enjoyable factor was the senior leadership. They have/had vision and, best of all, communicated that vision through a strategic plan that was shared with those of us not part of the decision making process.

ConsIf you don't want to travel. Don't bother. If you don't do well in an environment where teamwork and meeting deadlines is important then RS&H isn't for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're getting older. I hope you're thinking about a succession plan to replace you. I also hope that you stick around in an advisory capacity for a little while so that new leadership can benefit from understanding the culture you've worked hard to instill upon the organization.

Good place in general. Sometimes feels like you're stuck in the 1960's.

(Current Employee)

Pros- Flexible schedule.
    - Good place to build your resume.
    - Down to earth, friendly co-workers.
    - Lots of team players.
    - Decent benefits, including tuition reimbursement.
    - Good variety of projects.

Cons- Little promotion from within.
    - Several managers are allowed to treat people poorly.
    - No reward or bonus systems for those considered support groups.
    - Not much diversity.
    - Little accountability.
    - Too many people who do not actually work and slip through the system, requiring others to pick up the slack.
    - Lots of odd politics.
    - Small raises for most, large raises for some.
    - Senior management is out of touch.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow the company Mission Statement. Recognize and reward those who contribute at each level. Clean house. This company has a lot of talent and can be great with a little restructuring, fairness, and accountability.

Worked for Reynolds Smith and Hills, Inc? Contribute to the Community!