Reynolds Smith and Hills, Inc

Updated May 3, 2014
2.9

Reynolds Smith and Hills, Inc CEO Leerie T Jenkins Jr
Leerie T Jenkins Jr

Vision of the future is not compatible with realities (Aviation Dept)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Reynolds Smith and Hills, Inc full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The best thing about the company is the people. For the most part they are friendly and have a smaller town vibe because a lot of the projects and offices are located in secondary hub airports. Their compensation is fair, about on par with other firms but not much better. Benefits are possibly slightly better than average.

Cons

Where to start. There used to be a clear direction for the company, focus on secondary hubs and small airports. We're specialized in that and we have the skills and capabilities. Recently RS&H started cutting people to the point where the offices are only barely functional yet going after big primary hub airports which we no longer have the capability to complete. This just creates stress and inefficiency. In addition, since each office is so lean now, there isn't really much in the way of promotion and raises generally keep up with inflation.

Focus on your strengths and stop trying to play with the big boys unless you really are prepared to spend the resources to compete.

Fair place to work in infrastructure services

I worked at Reynolds Smith and Hills, Inc full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunities to work on large projects

Cons

Employees are just numbers, unless they're a vice president or higher.

Great marketing learning experience in Aerospace and Defense

Current Employee - Intern  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Intern in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Reynolds Smith and Hills, Inc as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Extensive training in the Aerospace and Defense industry and every day there was something to do and projects to work on to keep busy. Also provided interns a look at how an architecture and engineering company works in the office and how they accomplish winning federal contracts.

Cons

Only offers a one-time internship per person for 3-months. Regardless if they believe you've provided excellent quality work, they cannot extend the internship because of Senior Management.

Keep interns on board if you see potential for them to work as a full-time employee.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Project manager

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Reynolds Smith and Hills, Inc full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Low key, relaxed atmosphere, decent pay and good training for project managers.

Cons

No accountability for performance at management level. Staff takes blame for mismanagement.

Hold employees accountable for performance.

I enjoyed the people and the environment, but wasn't challenged.

Former Employee - Environmental Scientist  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in Houston, TX

I worked at Reynolds Smith and Hills, Inc full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A very laid back environment and flexible work schedule. The company has a good reputation in their industry for producing quality work and being very customer focused. A zero debt company.

Cons

Management is very inconsistent. Some are very approachable, while others are very closed off and contribute very little to the growth and development of those they supervise. It's also nearly impossible to be promoted at RS&H. Even extremely motivated employees never find out about open positions above them until after they are already filled. The company likes to fill new positions by stealing employees away from their competitors versus promoting from within. Benefits and pay are below average for the industry. I left the company for a much better opportunity because I could not get a promotion in 6 years of working there. Annual raises were only enough to cover the cost of living increase.

Promote from within, and increase pay and benefits to hire and retain talented employees.

Great projects, 'some' great people

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Engineer in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Reynolds Smith and Hills, Inc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the employees are really great to work with. Majority of the projects are interesting.

Cons

On the job training opportunities are not open to ALL employees. There is a level of favoritism displayed when projects are assigned. Cliques are VERY REAL here. Trust your instincts.

Be more diverse in your selection of candidates. Be fair in project assignments. Do not show favoritism. While you may believe it goes unnoticed, be assured, it does not.

no room for growth for females

I worked at Reynolds Smith and Hills, Inc

Pros

I can't think of any

Cons

You are treated different if you are a female.

Zero promotions

Former Employee - CAD Tech  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - CAD Tech in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Reynolds Smith and Hills, Inc

Pros

Steady work and a fair salary

Cons

There is not a single individual in the company that has ever been promoted from the position they were hired for.
    They never promote from within.
    The budget for raises is given to the department heads in a lump sum. The less they dole out the more for them.

Promote from within.

Best Place to Work For

Current Employee - Transportation Engineer  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Transportation Engineer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Reynolds Smith and Hills, Inc

Pros

Mid-size company, where most of the senior management knows who you are and what you do.

Senior Management normally takes time to appreciate and acknowledge employees performance.

Cons

Not sure, if there any Cons of this place. If I have to list something, being a small company sometimes makes it challenging for resoources.

They do a great job, especially looking into future nad recognizing the right people as future leaders for diffrent roles.

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Senior Aviation Consultant  in  Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Aviation Consultant in Naperville, IL

I worked at Reynolds Smith and Hills, Inc

Pros

Enjoyed the diversity of projects to work on. However, the key enjoyable factor was the senior leadership. They have/had vision and, best of all, communicated that vision through a strategic plan that was shared with those of us not part of the decision making process.

Cons

If you don't want to travel. Don't bother. If you don't do well in an environment where teamwork and meeting deadlines is important then RS&H isn't for you.

You're getting older. I hope you're thinking about a succession plan to replace you. I also hope that you stick around in an advisory capacity for a little while so that new leadership can benefit from understanding the culture you've worked hard to instill upon the organization.

Worked for Reynolds Smith and Hills, Inc? Contribute to the Community!