Reynolds and Reynolds

Updated October 15, 2014
2.9

Reynolds and Reynolds Chairman & CEO Bob Brockman
Bob Brockman

Pros
  • Several entry-level opportunities with on-the-job training (in 31 reviews)

• It always surprised me how so many good people ended up working for such terrible leadership (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not allow for managers to give recommendation letters (in 42 reviews)

• There is absolutely no room for advancement (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Good job for college students

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds

Pros

It's an easy place to work. I got to plan my own hours, but that depends on our supervisor. Coworkers were great.

Cons

It was SO SO boring!

Welfare is better

Former Employee - Drone in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Drone in Houston, TX

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Did not contract the black plague - yet.

Cons

All senior leadership from Bobo down.

Advice is pointless, as they are the smartest people in the world.

Slippery Slope

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Paycheck, experience, will hire people out of college. Best reason to work there are you co-workers, management will make you want to leave.

Cons

Will do anything to keep money from you. For a conservative, Christian company, they are pretty heartless. Work life trumps family life. Management is confused as far as what direction the company is going in. They like to aquire companies then don't know what to do when they merge. There's no structure; management created their own rules when you go to them with something different, their answer only benefits themselves. High turnover rate that management tries to push under the rug claiming it's not bad however there was as high as 8 people quitting withing a 2 month period but have yet to look into what the problem is. Instead of asking people that quit why they did and what the problem(s) were, they send you something in the mail asking you to rate something. Training is awful. Everyone gets trained different and when you finally get into your job role, you quickly realize they didn't focus on the correct things and you feel like you're drowning, but management insists that the problem lies with you, not their training program. Departments don't work with each other. Often times, they work against each other because although Reynolds and Reynolds is one company, they go by several names (Callbright, Naked Lime, etc).

Listen to the people that work for you. In the end THEY are the ones that are keeping your company afloat and unhappy employees at the bottom of the chain hurts your bottom line.

Great stability & benefits

I have been working at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, multiple opportunities for advancement, top notch people, always promote from within.
    -They have great benefits. I work in the field so they give me a company car, laptop, printer, iPad, iPhone thats 100% paid by the company, and expense budgets for travel and customer relations. They also have a 100% company match 401k, medical, dental, vision, onsite medical offices, onsite child care, dependent care flexible spending accounts, health care savings accounts, etc.
    -The people are also top notch. They have a rigorous interview process, so the people that are actually hired are top notch. They also promote from within. Many of the people I started with 10+ years ago are now in upper management.
    -Flexible schedule. They have been awesome to work around some of my personal commitments.
    -Nice facilities. The home offices have on site restaurants, nice work environments, on site gym, onsite health care clinc, onsite bank and child care, convenience store with snacks, dvd rentals, magazines, etc., and even a onsite 'Reynolds University' for classroom training.
    -Stable. During the economic downturn, the automotive industry tanked. Many other companies laid people off or asked them to take pay cuts. Reynolds never did. We didn't get raises for a few years, but nobody I know was asked to take a cut.

Cons

Most promotion opportunities are in Dayton or Houston. So if you live there, or are willing to relocate, the sky is the limit. But if you live in other cities and work in the field, there aren't as many promotion opportunities.

Hire more experienced people to reduce turnover. There seems to be a lot of bad reviews, but most of them seem to come from younger people that were hired right out of college and don't understand the job. They seem to be entitled and expect that every job is like working for Google or something. Is it the best job in America? Of course not. But I had 3 jobs before this one, and this company is by far better than any of the others I worked for.
    If they hired more experienced people rather than hiring people straight out of college, they might get people more appreciative and get less turnover.

If you have a choice, go elsewhere.

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Dayton, OH

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some people are good human beings. The on-site cafe food is typically pretty good.

Cons

Seriously one of the most soul-sucking and brain-numbing places to work. They expect the world of you for the measly salary they give, and then try and sugar coat it with the illusion of a raise or their less than adequate "benefits". First off, I got cheated out of insurance, I was hired right before open enrollment, when I went to submit my information, I was told that I wasn't yet eligible and would have to wait until the end of my 120 day probation period. After the probation period, I was then told that I should have submitted for coverage during open enrollment by the exact same person from HR.

The office politics are always against the new guy, even if you know more about IT than your coworkers. 2 of my team members had 0 idea that the server system runs on Unix, and tried to convince me that it was Windows Server 2012, one the 2 has even been working there for 15 years; and that's only 1 example of their complete ineptitude for IT.

The Management will watch your social networks for anything that they could reprimand you for, or even terminate. Be warned to set everything on your Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, anything to private! Additionally, if they, or any co-worker, finds out that you are actively looking, or if they can untruthfully prove that you are looking for other employment, they will immediately terminate you. If any of the people who have been there for a while feel, even remotely, threatened by you, then every day will seem like the worst day.

Only 2 people on my entire team ever did any work, 1 was always in the company gym, and the other was able to just sit there on her phone all day, primarily because all the men in the department would stand around and gawk at her, and distract any work from being done with their constant meandering around her desk.

When, or if, you are let go, the VPs who do it will know absolutely no reason as to why they are doing it, just that they are. They'll even fire you for a family emergency, and even if you have the hospital records to verify it, and your boss, whom was fully aware of the situation from it's start, let's you work from home for a few days to help oversee recovery, so all your bases are covered, so you didn't actually miss any days, and based on the reports for your team, you still got more work done than anyone else who was present those days, all that will be overlooked because you missed 2 hours, and that was unacceptable, even though you had sick time, and vacation time to cover it, and you offered to use that time if needed.

R&R is a soul sucking, toxic, destructive environment, that will leave you wondering when you stopped valuing yourself, and your time. I even went back to the job I had prior to being hired, for substantially less pay, just to get away from the misogyny, favoritism, nepotism, and demoralization done by the staff. If anything they should be investigating their current employees for their unfavorable practices at work.

Rework the entirety of the organization from the top.

Not Enjoyable

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (less than an year)

Pros

With the pricing they charge customers, the compensation package is good. Perks included insurance, expenses, company car, vacation time, company trips.

Cons

Overpriced Products, Horrible Employee Agreements. Company policies I have never heard of anywhere. It is illegal to smoke tobacco products and remain an employee. Seems like this should be illegal.

Management has a very arrogant. Do it our way or hit the road. The road is a better place than to work for a company that wants to dictate your life outside of work. I'm not a smoker and never have been, but how long before they want to dictate drinking beer or what church I attend. Just over the top in their management requirements.

Mediocrity is the name of the game

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds as an intern

Pros

There's nothing horrible about this company, just really nothing good either. Stable (poor) pay. Office seems to get along ok.

Cons

No one cares about their work because there is very little accountability. Reminds me of the movie office space, to a tee.

You are not upper management even though you think you are. Stop acting so entitled. 85k a year does not grant you that right. The real upper management rarely intermingles with employees.

A very jagged stepping stone

Former Employee - Software Implementation Consultant
    Former Employee - Software Implementation Consultant

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time

Pros

You get to travel a lot (Although that has recently changed). You also get to keep all the miles and points. Some of the people are genuinely nice. They hire fresh graduates.

Cons

The management is very strict and can be unforgiving depending upon who you are under. If you make one of your coworkers upset, even if they are in the wrong, you will have a hard time feeling accepted into the culture. It has a lot of recent college graduates which creates an atmosphere of "let's go drinking after work" almost every day. With a family, that can make the culture a bit difficult to acclimate to.

Pay your employees better and don't let the veterans treat the new hires like crap. Also, follow your discipline guidelines. If someone is doing something wrong, tell them how to fix it and the consequences, not just "you're doing it wrong".

Overall, good for starters

Current Employee - Repair Center Technician in College Station, TX
    Current Employee - Repair Center Technician in College Station, TX

I have been working at Reynolds and Reynolds part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good entry level, part-time job. Helped me during school with the extra income and marginal relevance to my studies.

Cons

I don't see many promotional opportunities.

Reynolds and Reynolds Response

Jun 12, 2014Corporate Communications

We have plenty of full-time career opportunities in College Station, as well! We also promote from within at all our locations. Thank you for your feedback!

Good company, with strong product in the market.

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay, good hours, good inside sales team.

Cons

Management is only concerned with themselves.
    Would be nice to see a company actually care about the customer and their business, and not just say that they do...

Remember that the customer is the person you should be trying to keep happy, not your boss.

Reynolds and Reynolds Photos