Reynolds and Reynolds Reviews

Reset

Not What I Expected

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like the fact that they give a lot of recent graduates jobs. It really helps with experience later on, especially with their training they give which is really great. Also, most of the people I've met have been great and really friendly/helpful.

Cons

Moving throughout the company is very difficult. They seem eager to give you the chance to move departments if you're not quite into what you're currently doing but the process seems to be put on the back burner. The pay is very below average as well compared to other companies and the same job there.

Reynolds and Reynolds 30 for 30: The Rise and Fall of the Third Reych

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Dayton, OH

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

On average you will work 30% longer and 30% harder for 30% under the industry standard salary for your labor. If you take nothing else from this review remember that simple fact. It is the centerpiece of every internal gripe session within the Reynolds work environment. Now, there are quite a few superficial pros. Yet underneath their thin veneer are the harsh realities they attempt to obfuscate. The Dayton facilities are a gorgeous memorial to the old Reynolds before Brockman's policy of profiteering took over. These days the on-site gym, cafeteria, health clinic, and convenience center all feel like a vestigial remnant of better days long since past. Why you ask? Well, like most people I can bring my own lunch. So why not pay me more money to buy bread? I have a family physician. Why not provide real health benefits instead of the current legally mandated bear minimum "coverage" with every doctor out of network and only 6 sick days 4 of which require doctor's notes? And speaking of benefits shall we discuss the lackluster leave package and the much lauded 6% matching 401K? No vacation the first year and only 10 days for your first five years is a clear statement from leadership: you live to work. As for the matching 401K plan that kicks in after two years it behooves any thinking worker to consider the reality that should he/she take a new job making even 10% more he/she could effectively match their own 401K up to that level and still have some left over. Besides, most employers match up to 5% anyway, so why should I let fear of loss distract me from probable gain especially when that 10% figure usually ends up being much more (about 33% more in my case)? Lastly, the people are generally pleasant although quite subdued, seemingly servile even, and the fear of leadership is both real and excessive even for a Walmart of the white collar world corporation such as Reynolds and Reynolds.

Cons

Bob Brockman. Nobody wants to say it, at least not publicly, but it's true. Let's begin with a short history lesson. This company went from private to public and then back to private again in 2006. And so began what would one day be described by me as the Third Reych. Backed by New York bankers (Goldman Sachs/Vista Equity Partners) Brockman had executed a well publicized hostile takeover of Reynolds. He assumed an authoritarian role over the company and began firing people left and right, cutting salaries/benefits drastically, crafting convoluted customer contracts designed to discretely, but legally extract more money from them, and firing/suing anyone who stood in his way. It got so bad that in 2009 Glassdoor.com rated this company the third worst employer in the United States of America. Since then all of the ReyRey propagandists or "digital reputation management specialists" (decent writers, better softball players) are "encouraged," take that as you will, to write positive reviews on this site to ensure it never makes that list again. In this respect they have been moderately successful, but by most accounts things are worse than ever. Although his top cronies will forever swear allegiance you may be surprised to hear there are lowly laborers who remain loyal and loudly so. But, from what I see it is only because they remember the ODJFS bread lines back in 2008 and are grateful just not to be dead even if they aren't really living either. I suppose that is Brockman's wage philosophy: keep workers fed enough to not revolt (leave) and to work, but never so much that they sate their hunger pains and start doing some real thinking (why are my wages/benefits/work environment so lacking?).

Enough history! Aren't I being unfair? After all, 2008 was bad for all of us including Brockman, right? Perhaps in the sense that I think it delayed the end game of his banker backed corporate raid of a once great company. I mean the guy cashed in on everything from employee pension funds to Reynold's reputation itself. His failed bid to sell the company back in 2012 only made things worse for employees and customers alike. Salaries and benefits continued to get cut, remain stagnant, all the while prices increased along with customer dissatisfaction and you better believe you will hear about it especially if you are in sales. The money siphoned off from employees/customers has been used to purchase high quality products from more creative companies we couldn't possibly build ourselves, such as Add on Auto and Docupad.

All this time Brockman has been getting richer as we get poorer. After all, and this is important to understand, the money is there. Reynolds and Reynolds is an incredibly profitable company, just beautiful on paper, but very little of that money finds itself in employees accounts no matter how hard they work. They should put a big sign over the entrance "ARBEIT MACHT SIE GELD" (work makes you money). Most the sales people I knew worked at least 50 hours a week, usually more, and their stress/caffeine levels were in the stratosphere. Turnover was atrocious while many more ended up working themselves into physical/mental exhaustion only to end up being treated like Boxer from Animal Farm. Yet, few ever really seemed to make any money and most of us agreed we didn't want to think where we would be without our spouse's income especially if we had children. The proverbial army of recent graduates ReyRey hires don't care about the future, they are living college life 2.0 with three roommates, cheap food, and weekend parties so they don't care about a real living wage, heck, they may not even know the difference yet. And the ranks are always being refilled by young, unseasoned, and desperate individuals. Indeed, your experience with the hiring process will end up being a perfect microcosm for your entire Reynold's career. And speaking of tedious, invasive, and unrewarding procedures...

How about day to day life in the Reych? Oppressive micromanagement at the expense of your pocketbook, productivity, and sanity. Everything is tracked, everything is watched, everything is catalogued, everything is scrutinized. Like any authoritarian personality Brockman trusts no one, so surveillance is a constant companion. The sheer amount of records, reports, and paperwork you must generate to satisfy his insecure need to watch and control everything is staggering. Management is his inept, impotent mouthpiece. Morale is in the toilet. Nobody feels secure. Everybody talks about escape. Some said the front was nearing us but I wasn't going to wait around for the buyout liberation. I followed orders, clicked my heels, outwardly celebrated the Brockman cult of personality, showed up to Pitstop propaganda rallies, saluted/clapped, participated in the 2 minute hates against ADP/CDK, earned a promotion, and used it to get heck out.

Advice to Management

Loyalty to Brockman comes at a price. If you're wiling to pay that fee so be it. But, don't be surprised if you show up one day to find a secretary standing in your cubicle with an empty box. On that day you will be left only with the unsatisfying realization that you were just as expendable to Bob as the rest of us.

Management system needs revamping

Former Employee - Systems Developer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Developer in Houston, TX

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not very demanding work place (depending on manager). Monthly parties after work with free beer.

Cons

No flexibility on days off, horrible waterfall system of project management, expected to work overtime without any additional compensation

Advice to Management

Listen to employees, allow for more flexibility for dedicated employees, compensate employees for what they are worth.

Good place to work

I have been working at Reynolds and Reynolds

Pros

work with you schedule like no other company I have ever worked for.
    get to create my own schedule every semester.
    don't get in trouble if something pops up the day you are suppose to work

Cons

people are different here.
    you have to play the game and make everyone happy
    if you make one manager or supervisor upset it will make you life a lot harder.
    nobody really does what they are suppose to but if a manager or supervisor from another department catches you goof off then you get in trouble.

Advice to Management

try to even across the whole company
    dont hold standards against you bottom employees that you managers dont have to live up to

Practice What You Preach

Current Employee - Sales - Outside
    Current Employee - Sales - Outside

I have been working at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Best overall product line
    - Fun Industry
    - Company Car, Phone, iPad.
    - Great coworkers
    -decent income opportunity (sales)
    - protected territories and team selling
    - pretty good income potential

Cons

-No transparency with internal processes for employees or customers
    - too many sales position (account manager, inside sales , sepcialist).
    - all major innovations have come from acquisitions - poor internal development
    - no trust of employees (all outside sales tracked by phone GPS)
    - poor treatment of clients - confusing supports, lack of ongoing training, Nickle and diming for items that should be general system enhancements.
    -poor communication
    -too much administrative nonprofit producing busy work
    - favoritism
    - everyone fears the CEO, and won't say anything
    - no work life balance
    - clients have been continually burned and don't trust us
    - when there is a problem everyone just passes the buck

Advice to Management

- trust your people
    - simplify the process
    - cut the fat - to many cooks
    - pay support personnel better, as soon as they get good they leave
    - treat both employees and customers like they are important
    - practice what you preach transparency, effectiveness, efficiency.
    - all this talk about a Disney experience doing buissesss with Reynolds sometimes feels like a trip to the dentist as opposed to an amusement park.
    - better on going training for customers, it is in the companies best interest to make sure that customers use of the systems is at a high level.
    - allow your employees to have a life, no reason my supervisor should be constantly emailing me at 11pm on Saturdays.

"Not a Good Place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in College Station, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in College Station, TX

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds

Pros

Has a cafeteria & Gym. People are friendly.

Cons

Low pay.

Health care for employees below the level of manager is worse than worthless. It will deny everything without it even being looked at. You would do much better to start a savings account to pay for health care.

They decide if you are part of the "good ol' boys" group or not. If you're in they will advance you way up even if you have no idea how to do the job. If you are not in they use you like slave labor until you wise up and leave. Around 95% of people are not considered part of the good ol' boys group.

Advice to Management

Like they care for anyone's advice or opinion.

8. Good Place to Start

I have been working at Reynolds and Reynolds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Been there a couple years and I can't complain too much about it. It is a pretty young place to work and they give you great training for anything that you find yourself doing. Pay doesn't start great but is livable and does eventually get to a decent spot. Great leagues for sports and card games.

Cons

Leadership has an "older" method of doing things, and it does draw projects out longer than it should, however it does give you experience with large organizational structures. Having others leave around you and seeing what they are paid does leave you wondering what you are actually worth.

Advice to Management

Start salaries higher and you will keep good employees longer.

Very good I learned a lot

I have been working at Reynolds and Reynolds

Pros

Awesome headquarters, benefits, sports leagues, starbucks, etc

Cons

No room for advancement and your a fish in an ocean

Advice to Management

pay your employees better

10. Educational

I have been working at Reynolds and Reynolds

Pros

It is a good place to learn different types of corporate cultures, especially those that prevail in private companies

Cons

not much room for upward advancement, high turnover

11. Great morale, great place to begin a career or continue into one.

I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds

Pros

-Leadership
    - transparent authority
    - the president is great
    - facilities and extra great

Cons

- CEO wise, but too old fashioned
    - pay

Advice to Management

larger more transparent bonus incentives

RSS Feed </> Embed