Reynolds and Reynolds

Reynolds and Reynolds Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Reynolds and Reynolds Chairman & CEO Bob Brockman

Bob Brockman

Pros
  • They had a range of entry level positions available that they were recruiting for that peaked my interest (in 30 reviews)

• It always surprised me how so many good people ended up working for such terrible leadership (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not allow for managers to give recommendation letters (in 41 reviews)

• There is absolutely no room for advancement (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Customer support representative

Customer Support Representative (Current Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsThis was my first job after graduating from college. They had a range of entry level positions available that they were recruiting for that peaked my interest. Now that I've been working here for about 2 years I see that there is room for internal growth because they promote from within. The company also has added perks like corporate sports leagues and events.

ConsThe shifts vary and are not all 8-5. However some people might prefer working later or earlier shifts so there is flexibility.

15 year veteran - GREAT place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsI started straight out of college. I had no idea that I would be with any company this long but over 10 years later, I am still employed and still loving it!
    - GREAT people
    - GREAT facilities
    - Very stable company (never have to worry about losing my job)
    - Good training
    - Great advancement opportunities

ConsNo major issues to gripe about

Great company that recognizes hard work.

ProsI have worked at Reynolds and Reynolds for nearly 8 years and have grown a lot in my time here. Hired just out of college, I wasn't experienced in a corporate work environment. I appreciate the extensive training provided and the open door policy with my management chain. I have received several awards in the time I've been employed and I appreciate that they are willing to recognize hard work.

ConsThe recruiting process can sometimes be long, but in my opinion this reflects the company's commitment to ensuring they are hiring the best person for the job.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Get some experience and move on

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsR&R has a structured screening process that seems to be focused on intelligence, reasoning, and personal strengths and weaknesses. The screening tests seem to weigh heavily on whether or not you get an interview. This is good news if you are an intelligent, ethical individual because this means you will likely get an interview even if you don't have a lot of experience in the field. This is perfect for college grads and people changing career fields.

The facility in Dayton is world class and has a number of amenities.

Co-workers are very friendly and helpful.

ConsThe pay is well below market value. Even as you receive high scores on reviews and 360s; and, take on additional responsibility and work; you will not receive commensurate increases in pay. After a number of years, I left the company. Within one year of leaving R&R, my salary is 64% higher than it was at R&R. In addition, I have received bonuses; and, my medical benefits are vastly better. I did not have to move or go back to school to do this!

R&R management sees any effort to improve one's self professionally as a threat that the employee is looking for a different job. In addition, most applications used to perform work duties are 'homegrown'. This means when you go to look for a different job; you will not have work experience using the applications/software most companies currently use. My advice if you are at R&R - keep your skills up-to-date and relevant by taking some classes! But, don't let anyone at R&R know if you are taking classes or getting a certification!

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutive Management:

Employees should be treated as professionals; not Huns.

Educated adults are able to make their own decisions regarding what food they eat and how they vote.

Not paying your employees market value is unethical and the same as stealing; you are stealing time and talents. If you invest in your employees instead of treating them like drones, you will find them to be more productive and healthier.

Middle Management:

I saw Managers/Directors leave R&R for ethical reasons. I respect those people!

Only good if you can't find anything else.

Tech Support (Former Employee) Kettering, OH

ProsNone that I can think of.

Cons- Big brother mentality / lack of trust
    - Lack of growth opportunities
    - Closed-door policy
    - You will be warned if they find that your resume is active on Monster.com or another site like it. I have also heard of people being fired for it. I activated my resume after updating it and was pulled into the manager's office the same week.
    - They have no problem telling you that you did something wrong, but will never reward you for hard work.
    - They are not flexible whatsoever when it comes to unexpected time off for being sick or needing to visit a sick relative.
    - Very little vacation time.
    - Pay is not the greatest, but it was better than anywhere else at the time.
    - I don't know how other departments were, but our manager would literally scream at people. He would pull them into an office and scream at them, so that everyone in the office could hear. It was very unprofessional. It was so bad one time that I thought my co-worker wouldn't leave the room alive.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees. If you don't trust them, then why did you hire them? Be more flexible with unexpected events that may require time off. Reward good behavior. Your employees will work harder for you if you treat them with respect. With the cost of onboarding new employees, you can't be viable with such a high turn-over rate.

Good starting place if you have no experience. Don't expect to be paid like your peers.

IT Technician (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsVery efficient business, so it will be there for the long haul. Very young workforce, so tons of socializing opportunities, like minded colleagues. Overall good people, met a lot of great people working there. Promote from within (because they won't pay what experienced people want), but it usually leads to very competent teams until they leave.

ConsMonetary compensation way below average. Decisions driven by cost above all else. Move to proprietary systems limits any IT professionals' future career.

Okay place to earn a paycheck

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsConsistently high raises, easy work environment. Organization of outside work activities were fun and helped build "teams spirit".

ConsExtremely low starting pay for the industry, not many opportunities to learn on the job or be given new tasks.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet employees learn new things and hone their skills.

20 Years in Sales - Very rewarding career

Sales Director (Current Employee)

ProsHigh quality people to work with. High end sales job.

ConsProduct pricing is too aggressive at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutive Mgt should set profitable revenue growth goals, and then let the sales dept achieve those goals with less micro management.

Beware...

Project Manager (Former Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsMatching 401k if you stay for 2 years, decent entry level pay, learn how to talk to customers and how not to manage people.

ConsVPs and above are all clueless yes men and they in turn only promote and notice yes men below them while pushing all their work onto those that actually deserve the position they hold. This is a company that is built to only say yes to the Owner and he has done everything he can to make it that way.
    This directly affects everyone's work habits and mannerisms, to the point that no one is able to think for themselves or make a decision due to fear of their job and doing so even if it is the right move will be met with opposition and little upward mobility.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the crap that comes out of your own mouth's and learn to make decisions without having to bother the next level you can that will make one.

Its a Job not a Career

Software Developer (ERA DMS) (Current Employee) Kettering, OH

ProsAs an ERA developer there are almost no pros.
    The work is copy paste...if you consider that a pro.
    The bourgeoisie are extremely nice and friendly.

ConsManagement above supervisors are daft - Typing with two fingers, inability to comprehend concepts such as runtime; space complexity; and parallel programming.
    Favoritism towards Houston Development
    Languages: COBOL (proprietary), Pick Basic

Advice to Senior ManagementUse a more modern language for your software you would get less turnover and better morale.

Worked for Reynolds and Reynolds? Contribute to the Community!