Rhapsody International

4.1

Jon Irwin

Positive, Fun, Rewarding

I have been working at Rhapsody International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- 5 and a half weeks vacation <drops microphone>. Seriously, how awesome is that? And you can actually take the time off!
    - Respected as a contributor
    - Treated as a valuable human being, unlike some other local companies (you know who they are)
    - Rewarding - it's a small company, so easy to step in and make a contribution to the company pretty quickly
    - Fun environment, with live bands coming in to play, bagel breakfasts every couple of weeks, etc
    - Free sodas, addicting coffee machine, and a keg in the kitchen
    - Really nicely done floor in the Columbia Center Tower - I didn't know the Columbia Center could look this good
    - Work life balance is great. Yeah, there can be some long hours, but it's purposeful, meaningful, understandable, somewhat predictable and infrequent.
    - Want to go to work in the morning, and when I get there, others are appreciative that I'm there.

Cons

- downtown Seattle, which can be a plus or a minus depending upon each person
    - can be harder to move around within the company because it's a small company (that's easier to do in a mega company)
    - no sick days since there's already 5.5 weeks of vacation

Vision statements can be amazingly important for getting people rallied around a singular goal, which skyrockets the chances of success.

Lack of communication and strategy

I worked at Rhapsody International

Pros

There are still some very good and smart people at the company.

Cons

If you're not "core" you are not in the know. The company need people that really know the music business at the top.

Slow

Former Contractor - Online Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Online Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Rhapsody International as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Awesome office. Love the sweeping fews of Seattle. Everyone's pretty nice too

Cons

Their are no innovators at this company. If there is, it's stays at the top level. They are not scrappy at all (even after knowing that spotify/google/pandora are moving fast)

Allow people to innovate or else spotify and google will eat your lunch. Use the stage at the office to have live performances of niche bands.. ALL THE TIME. Tell them to bring their fans and give a bunch of rhapsody stuff away

Great people, cool product.

I worked at Rhapsody International full-time

Pros

Fun and very smart people to work with in a start-up like environment.

Cons

Below average salary. Too bad the new manager tried to completely change the work culture within a certain team.

Rhapsody = Awesome!

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Rhapsody International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Rhapsody is an all around great company. From the people you work with to the environment you work in. I began as a contract designer which led me to a full-time position on the Design team. Rhapsody provides their designers with the top of the line technology and programs which enables us to create effective and fresh designs. There is potential to expand my position with the company which is a very big plus in my book, as I am a junior level designer. From brown-bag lunches, in-house performances- to a provided Orca transportation card, Rhapsody provides their employees with great perks and benefits.

Cons

Lower than average salary rate/compensation.

Fun, dynamic, exciting - and hey, free concerts!

I have been working at Rhapsody International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The energy here is on the rise, and it's contagious. A lot has changed in the last 12 months, and with an influx of new people has come new organizational structure, new strategic thinking from our execs, and a great new office space in Columbia Tower.

Terrific work/life balance - hardly a peep on evenings and weekends.

Free concerts! Rhapsody has a stage right in the office, for free shows, and we can meet artists who perform when they swing through Seattle. Artists who have performed so far love the stage and the people they've met who work here - I gather we're a fun bunch.

This place is also full of smart people who are also kind - it's a huge change from other large tech companies I've worked at, that whole kindness part. Makes a big difference.

Cons

Music streaming is super hot right now, so there's lots of thrash and misinformation in the industry. Rhapsody's the oldest player in the field, and we're laser-focused on growth, so that means rapid change and expansion. If you're cool with that and you like being in a place where you can actually make a direct impact on the products and experiences Rhapsody sells, then it's a good fit for you. If you don't like change, move along.

Keep focusing on hiring new people who raise the bar.

The right place for professionals who are passionate about Music and Technology. No more case of the Mondays!!!!

I have been working at Rhapsody International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Rhapsody has been a very exciting ride since I had the opportunity to join the team. There is a lot of growth happening as the company has grown from operating in 3 countries to operating in 33 countries. This type of growth makes for many awesome career opportunities. The team is not afraid to adopt new technologies to make sure we are constantly scaling for the business we have.

Many talented professionals here at Rhapsody who consider Rhapsody the job they have trained for their entire lives. As a Professional here at Rhapsody you are surrounded by talented individuals, who take ownership of their responsibilities, and collaborate well. The company operates likes a well funded start-up, in which everyone knows how important their role is the big picture.

I have also been very impressed by the tenure of the professionals here as I know how hot the market is for their skill-set and yet they choose to continue working here on the awesome projects we have going on.

To sum this up, great culture, Awesome people, technology the customer plays with for hours a day, very visible product launches, international growth, oh yea and close to 6 weeks paid vacation for employees.

Cons

Changing the perception as some newer companies have caused a lot of buzz, but still have not interrupted Rhapsody's place as the #2 Stream Music Company Globally.

This company truly puts customers first and is full of people who has Music deep in the DNA. Sell the story of this incredible company as the true service if you are a Music Lover. The Management is truly talented, great success record and have the skill-set to take the company to the next level.

Fun environment with dysfunctional management

I worked at Rhapsody International full-time

Pros

- Great focus on music culture
    - Fun employee events
    - Great PTO

Cons

- No true leadership
    - Employees aren't empowered to effect change (or even do their jobs)
    - Possibly gender-biased management

Trust that the employees you hire know how to do their jobs from years of industry experience.

Great mobile team and awesome workspace.

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Rhapsody International full-time

Pros

Some group are great to work with. Have a group of talented people, will not regret to work with them.

Cons

Need to work on their stock options

Company with great potential

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Rhapsody International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Not too big that you feel that your work isn't affecting the core business. Rhapsody/Napster has a great work life balance and culture with plenty of vacation time. There are great engineers, managers and of course great music. The focus is on delivery and each team delivering on a regular cadence. There are great opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Currently the company is lacking in education benefits for employees. Stock options needs to be improved. The company needs to shake off its association with Real Networks and refresh its image.

Be bolder, lead us to overtake our competitors. Really make the employees feel like owners and expand the share options for employees

Rhapsody International Photos