Rhode Island School of Design
www.risd.edu Providence, RI 500 to 999 Employees

Rhode Island School of Design Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014
Rhode Island School of Design – Providence – “Industrial Design building”

John Maeda

Learning opportunity and credential builder

Teaching Assistant, Architecture Department (Former Employee)

I worked at Rhode Island School of Design part-time for less than a year

ProsProvides a great opportunity to get experience with teaching and assisting fellow students with classes. Because you TA for a class you've already taken, you basically get to take it again and thus get to learn the material twice. And you make some money while doing it!

ConsCan be tough to work time for TA duties into an already busy class schedule. It tends to be particularly stressful around exam time when you have your own exams on top of doing reviews and answering questions for the students in your TA class.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome sort of allowance for TAs to avoid the end-of-semester crunch would be beneficial to all parties involved.

A positive and memorable experience assisting students interested in pursuing an education in arts and design.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Rhode Island School of Design

ProsFantastic and supportive staff. They are committed to your growth as an employee and you will always be treated as an equal.

ConsOccasionally long hours during admissions review season. Workers are compensated for specific over time periods however.

Self-initiated work, supportive community

CSI Employee (Current Employee)
Providence, RI

I have been working at Rhode Island School of Design part-time for more than a year

ProsThe department works hard to support students and have a relationship with the student community. You can take advantage the resources they are willing to provide you with. The people are caring and supportive.

ConsThe department is constantly getting restructured and is disorganized. You have to be self-motivated and initiate workload or projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be consistency in authority throughout the re-structuring of the department. There's a lack of organization and clarity of roles.

Shop Monitor

Shop Monitor (Former Employee)

I worked at Rhode Island School of Design part-time for more than a year

Prospaid to do homework. you basically sit and do everything you would anyway, but get paid. Also you meet a lot of new people that you wouldnt normally meet.

Consboring. if you dont have any work to do it kinda sucks too. But if you dont mind being in the shops or computer labs then its a pretty good deal.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more

Rediscover yourself

I have been working at Rhode Island School of Design

ProsGreat facilities, professors and student supports. It's a place that you can pretty much do whatever you want with supports.

ConsFirst year could be hard to navigate, you have to make it your own experience.

Workstudy - Wood Shop TA

Workstudy (Former Employee)

I worked at Rhode Island School of Design part-time for more than a year

ProsAllowed me to use the facilities more often.
Increased my knowledge of the machines and got me more interested.
Got to help people on their projects.

ConsConstantly need to pay attention to make sure everyone is safe.

There are some really great people but the system is essentially disfunctional

Graduate Instructor and TA (Former Employee)

I worked at Rhode Island School of Design part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits. Interesting and passionate students.

ConsAs an institution it's disfunctional and could learn a few lessons from the people up the hill. I love artists but I think professional administrators could help the school run more efficiently and profitably.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest time in your relationship with the RISD Museum and Brown. Hire more professional administrators and people who have significant experience in running institutions.

A Divided Community

I have been working at Rhode Island School of Design full-time

ProsThe campus teems with fantastically talented individuals (students and faculty) who are faithful to honing and passing on the knowledge of their craft. The campus is beautiful and the RISD name commands respect in the local community, as well as the artistic academic world. Employees who have been there a long time are truly invested in the school and want it to succeed and thrive. The museum is a crown jewel and free access to it is fabulous.

ConsThe leadership always appears to have promise, but always under delivers and disappoints. There is real division between the executives, the faculty, and the regular staff. Secrecy abounds and results in shadowy behavior being exhibited rather than the more transparent and open communication that the community desperately needs and craves. The departments also vary in work experience based on who is leading it. Some departments are a joy to work in while others are a toxic nightmare to be trapped in.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork not alone but with all levels of the school. Someone needs to help Maeda express and communicate his vision across the campus better (and sometimes stand up to him rather than be a yes man/woman). A couple of the department heads in the executive level should be replaced. They're taking up valuable seats better occupied by others who possess true vision and natural abilities and honesty needed to help Maeda and the school become a more cohesive and happier place to be at.

Student employee with flexible hours

Office Assistant (Current Employee)
Providence, RI

I have been working at Rhode Island School of Design part-time for more than 3 years

ProsCould make my own schedule (to an extent)
Variety of tasks to complete
Practice interfacing with customers (parents and students)

ConsPoor wages
Inconvenient time card system - if you miss the submission day, you have to wait a whole month for your pay

RISD is an amazing place to work - except in administration. Human Resources & managers were woefully inadequate.

Assistant Director of Major Gifts (Former Employee)

I worked at Rhode Island School of Design full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCampus is alive with talented, gifted students & it's really something to watch them grow into true artists from their freshmen year. RISD is also a design school so there are a lot of opportunities for mixed media. The alumni list is stellar. I had the enviable job of visiting with alumni & parents across the country during RISD's largest campaign in its history - $85,000,000.
There was never a dull moment with so many diverse people to meet and learn about.

ConsUnfortunately, RISD needs to get as good at administrative creativity as it is at art & design Admin is stuffy & not enough leadership know-how. I, along with a few other employees were pretty much being mentally abused by a senior administrator we reported to - the usual channels of reporting problems was very weak - the Asst VP and Vp of advancement ignored reports & Human Resources were absolutely useless and, in the end, incompetent to the point of absurdity. Hours are grueling but that's the nature of the business whether an artist or road warrior. A lot of travel & too much of a numbers game - there should be some balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport & encourage staff - demonstrate good leadership by your actions not by suppressing & belittling them. Advancement officers carried an average of 200 donors per year - that's avg 12 visits a month. I've never worked anywhere with such low morale. Admin should reflect the
spirit & integrity of RISD as a great institution. I would recommend it to a friend but only as long as they knew what they were walking into first.

Worked for Rhode Island School of Design? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rhode Island School of Design reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rhode Island School of Design CEO John Maeda. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Rhode Island School of Design employees.