Rhode Island School of Design

www.risd.edu

Rhode Island School of Design Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014
Rhode Island School of Design – Providence – “Industrial Design building”

John Maeda

Learning opportunity and credential builder

Teaching Assistant, Architecture Department (Former Employee) Providence, RI

ProsProvides a great opportunity to get experience with teaching and assisting fellow students with classes. Because you TA for a class you've already taken, you basically get to take it again and thus get to learn the material twice. And you make some money while doing it!

ConsCan be tough to work time for TA duties into an already busy class schedule. It tends to be particularly stressful around exam time when you have your own exams on top of doing reviews and answering questions for the students in your TA class.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome sort of allowance for TAs to avoid the end-of-semester crunch would be beneficial to all parties involved.

Don't Stall Your Career Here

ProsSome caring staff doing their best. The students are great, energetic and fun to work with if you get the chance. Most staff are over-payed, including myself. You can get away with doing absolutely nothing, all day, every day and fit right in with your peers!

ConsDysfunctional, unprofessional workplace run by entirely incompetent senior staff. If you come here, what you are doing is just delaying or ending the progress of your career, as there is no funding for initiatives and no motivation to improve. If you have any type of professional standards, the lack of clear direction will cause you to leave after a few years, so why even start? If you move to Rhode Island, your alternatives will be few and far between - you'll be stuck.

If you should find yourself sitting in an interview, ask for a copy of the recent "Employee Engagement Survey". When they don't provide it, ask yourself why. The reason is that staff approval of senior management and other aspects of their experience is in the single or low double digits. Human Resources is clueless about repairing the bad environment. There is even a recognition program that gives staffers magic marker for good performance. A magic marker, so you'll have that to look forward to.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating staff like children. Remove the hostile Human Resources leadership that is source of disastrously low moral. Dispense with the "merit bonus" system that is a vehicle for favoritism and punishment, thus causing low performers to hang on and high performers to become alienated and leave of their own accord.

educational,

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt helped me lear a lot, alongside my graduate education

ConsIt took away from time to work on my assignments at times

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A positive and memorable experience assisting students interested in pursuing an education in arts and design.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFantastic and supportive staff. They are committed to your growth as an employee and you will always be treated as an equal.

ConsOccasionally long hours during admissions review season. Workers are compensated for specific over time periods however.

end of story

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood people through out the school

Conspolitical infighting and much uncertainty

Self-initiated work, supportive community

CSI Employee (Current Employee) Providence, RI

ProsThe department works hard to support students and have a relationship with the student community. You can take advantage the resources they are willing to provide you with. The people are caring and supportive.

ConsThe department is constantly getting restructured and is disorganized. You have to be self-motivated and initiate workload or projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be consistency in authority throughout the re-structuring of the department. There's a lack of organization and clarity of roles.

Shop Monitor

Shop Monitor (Former Employee) Providence, RI

Prospaid to do homework. you basically sit and do everything you would anyway, but get paid. Also you meet a lot of new people that you wouldnt normally meet.

Consboring. if you dont have any work to do it kinda sucks too. But if you dont mind being in the shops or computer labs then its a pretty good deal.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more

Rediscover yourself

ProsGreat facilities, professors and student supports. It's a place that you can pretty much do whatever you want with supports.

ConsFirst year could be hard to navigate, you have to make it your own experience.

Workstudy - Wood Shop TA

Workstudy (Former Employee) Providence, RI

ProsAllowed me to use the facilities more often.
    Increased my knowledge of the machines and got me more interested.
    Got to help people on their projects.

ConsConstantly need to pay attention to make sure everyone is safe.

There are some really great people but the system is essentially disfunctional

Graduate Instructor and TA (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits. Interesting and passionate students.

ConsAs an institution it's disfunctional and could learn a few lessons from the people up the hill. I love artists but I think professional administrators could help the school run more efficiently and profitably.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest time in your relationship with the RISD Museum and Brown. Hire more professional administrators and people who have significant experience in running institutions.

Worked for Rhode Island School of Design? Contribute to the Community!