Rhythm Engineering

Rhythm Engineering CEO Reggie Chandra

Reggie Chandra

Sad state of affairs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood coworkers and clients and thats it

Conspoor top management - never know where you stand

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to change

Getting scarier by the minute so I'm sending resumes everywhere

Technician (Current Employee) Lenexa, KS

ProsYou get paid for some work you do. We get most work accomplished when management is out at seminars.

ConsPay/benefits used to be ok. Not anymore. Only those that threaten to quit might get raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust putting out fires and chasing our tails. We're not really innovating anymore. It's like we've had one decent idea, called it a product, started selling projects and now we've been playing catch up ever since to deliver the performance and features we promised our customers. Meanwhile, there's been no legitimate progress with the technology or fixes to the weird business model and now morale is tanking along with our revenue (new revenue, which doesn't count the same old stuff the sales team promised last year or the year before or year before that). Make up your mind if you want to sell the company or not and then do something about it. Sales guys keeping making excuse that selling to government is slow, but I think our customers are also waiting to see if we'll survive before they commit. So they don't push their projects quickly and we have layoffs and resignations. That won't change easily. This is a problem we need to recognize and run from (sell out) or fix (sell more projects at lower price/risk or something). Maybe I lose my job if we sell out, but maybe I get to work for a normal stable company.

Read all reviews... they speak the truth (Well, except the CEO's... it's all lies!)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPros? Let's see. The people - other than the CEO. What a freak he is!

ConsThere are so many cons to this place. The review area just isn't big enough. The CEO treats his employees horrible. Maybe it's his culture, not sure. But he has an attitude of entitlement. Just a little over a month ago, he had 48 employees... the company now has something like 39. People are dropping life flies - and the ones that haven't left yet are on their way out - their choice, not his!

There is NO culture at Rhythm. So, when they mention culture in your interview, don't believe them. Really? So what you get a free trip every once in a while... then you can get fired when you get back.

Can't tell you how happy I am to not work there any more. Feel really bad for those left there.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally, Reggie? Why treat the people the way you do? Then when you meet someone you have this FAKE smile, attitude. Guess what? All of the employees know this. You are fake. It's so funny, because the clients know it too. You've been drunk in front of them to many times!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Went From Best to Worst Company to Work for in Kansas City

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lenexa, KS

ProsCoworkers, some really great people work here. Unfortunately nobody has any authority except for the CEO.

ConsThe structure of the company, the CEO, and extremely high turnover rate. When I first started at Rhythm, I liked my job. I loved the people and I really enjoyed my work. But, soon that changed. People that were my friends -- and great employees -- were randomly fired. There was no warning and no reason. This has continued to happen over and over again. Most of us walk around at work knowing that the CEO may decide to fire us at anytime. It's brutal and no way to work. Not only have their been way too many firings for a company this small, but some awesome people have quit -- some without even having new jobs -- because the culture and atmosphere is so bad. The CEO is the worst manager of people that I have ever seen. He constantly changes his mind and is always giving us new "strategies" that contradict what he said the day before. There is no predictability about the company and really there is no future. This is not a place to build a career, but a stopping point to look for a better job. It's a hard pill to swallow because it could be such a great place and in fact, I think it used to be. It's just not anymore. The smoke screen that Rhythm puts up may make it seem like an awesome place to work, BUT IT'S NOT. It's not the truth. People are afraid at work of what will happen to their job or the company. I can't think of anyone I know that works here that isn't looking for a new job. I wish Rhythm well, but I also wish I would have read reviews like this before starting work here. So, if this can make a difference for someone then it's worth it. Ask around about this company, see what other information you can find out, don't just base your judgment on what they tell you.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stand up to the CEO. So many people have been fired and so many people have quit. The company seems to change weekly. How can employees do their jobs effectively when they are in fear of getting fired or are pushed so far they are forced to quit? Something has to change and management has to do it.

Run, don't walk away from this company!

Technical (Current Employee)

ProsSo many bad things about this place, it is hard to write anything positive. I will say that the technology is good, and there are many good people employed there.

ConsI have been here for over 1 year now and things just get worse. The founder of the company is the Con. He is the source of all things bad at Rhythm. Be very leery of any company when the founder and CEO posts his own 5 star review on Glassdoor! "Amazing culture", amazingly bad! People have been laid off, fired, and just quit. Some that have quit don't even have another job to go to, it is THAT BAD!

Th founder has a huge ego and is a big micromanager. With all the turnover, he just hired a bunch of consultants to help him figure out what is wrong and how to fix it. If he really wants to find the problem, he could save the company a lot of money by just buying a mirror and looking into it. THAT is where he can see the problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to the founder, let your managers run the company and take a permanent leave of absence. That is the only hope for survival for Rhythm Engineering.

High Turn-Over Rate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHave heard there aren't many pros to this place. When you have no culture, it's hard to have anything positive to say.

ConsTurn-over rate is very high... most of them firings. Sad, I seen their name on the Best Places to Work list before my friend went to work there. And fastest growing. Wonder what has happened? I've seen a lot of jobs posted, not new jobs but replacement.

Fast-paced, innovative company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI worked for Rhythm from the Fall of 2010 to the Summer of 2012. The company culture was quite positive and collegial--I enjoyed the working relationships I had and there was a tremendous amount of excitement about their products, which are technologically innovative. The company grew rapidly during the first six months of my employment. There was a great sense of contribution and purpose among employees that was palpable and gratifying. I left the company for reasons of my own, but still maintain some contact with colleagues since that time.

ConsThere are great opportunities, but if you are not capable of producing identifiable value to the company you are better off moving on, or looking elsewhere.

Fast-paced, Silicon Valley culture with Midwestern values

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI worked there full-time for years and continue to work with Rhythm on a contract basis. I received constant feedback on my job performance and was given multiple performance-based raises and generous performance-based bonuses. I had a particular family situation that required me to be away from work frequently and the management team was supportive and respectful of my personal time. I have read the negative reviews here and think they have more to do with the pace of the employee writing it, than the management team. Not everyone is well-suited to think on their feet, self-direct, and change directions on a dime and for those people I could see how the speed and agility required to work at Rhythm could be frustrating. The management team makes fair decisions based on what is best for the employees AND CLIENTS. It's just common sense that when a company has explosive growth and has to hire many new employees to keep up with the demand, inevitably some of them are not going to work out in the long term, but that is for each individual employee to prove or disprove on their own.

ConsThe pace is very fast because they are a technology company that has to stay lean and agile to maintain an edge. If you are looking for a company that values tenure and famliiarity over progress, job performance and results, I would honestly direct you to apply for a job with a large, older company/government entity known for doing blanket lay offs where you will have traditional red tape and formalities.

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter reading the negative review I would say don't be so nice in your interviews so you can weed out the individuals that won't be able to keep up. Let people know up front that they are not entitled to keep their jobs indefinitely if their performance level isn't valuable in helping the the organization as a whole attain and surpass company goals and if they cannot be productive under self-direction they need not accept a position there.

Seriously lacking in culture.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAlthough the CEO is very difficult to deal with and is the worst part of the this company, there are many great people that work there and deserve to be treated so much better. Those people are the positive to this company.

ConsThe CEO is the number one con in this company. He alone dictates the path of the company is the reason that this company will continue to struggle in the technology field. I have never worked at a place that was as micromanaged at Rhythm Engineering is. The CEO makes every decision at this company -- nobody has a voice other than him. I have seen him reduce to people to tears and have seen him over and over again target people for termination without cause. Do not be fooled by this company or the CEO. When I was hired there, I was promised so many things and completely believed that this company was a great place to work -- heck they had an award for it! None of the things I was told about Rhythm or was promised ever came true. Unlike what they say, there is no family culture here. Instead, there is a culture of fear. You walk around knowing that anyone can get fired at any time based upon what the CEO wants to do that day. I saw it so many times. People were brought in, a few months went buy, the CEO completely changed strategies or finances were tough and BOOM -- several people fired without warning. The patterns repeats itself over and over. People were scared at work there and rightfully so. I was never able to really even do my job because the CEO wouldn't let me. I couldn't make decisions, I couldn't have a voice, my job was to basically be an assistant to CEO, even though I was hired as a professional with a degree in the job field. Finally, it became too stressful and I got out of there. I would not recommend working here to my worst enemy. People don't last there and it's impossible to deal with a CEO that only cares about himself and nobody else. Finally, the problem with this company is not it's "fast paced" environment, but rather it's the lack of any stability, direction, or leadership. The management team is not able to lead because the CEO will not let them. And the CEO has no idea how to run a successful company and has clue how to treat people. People are tossed aside there and nobody can do anything about it. If you are wanting a meaningful career and more than just a job for few months, then Rhythm Engineering is not the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp the CEO understand what he is doing to the company and to the people that work there. A culture that is based on fear is unhealthy and not sustainable.

Nightmare on 96th Terrace

(Former Employee)

ProsSome really nice and bright people there who have values and morals with the exception of owner. Interesting product that must be doing well.

ConsLeft there two years ago and it looks like things are actually worse. It is hard to believe. Most people there put on a happy face, but under the surface is paranoia, fear, intimidation, no empowerment, and complete lack of respect for employees If you are looking for these things you found right place. If not RUN, don't walk.

If you do go there, don't make any mistakes or disagree with management or you will be fired. Your reward will be a mediocre pay check, lack of stability and no raises. You will also be mentally drained every day having to deal with all of the ridiculous politics and uncertainty of who the owner will fire next.

Make no mistake about it, this is not a "company". The owner makes all of the decisions and you put your and your family's future in his hands.

Advice to Senior Managementrespect the employees and treat them like people, not your slaves

Worked for Rhythm Engineering? Contribute to the Community!