Rhythm Engineering Reviews

34 reviews filtered by
3.5
Rhythm Engineering CEO Reggie Chandra
Reggie Chandra

1. High-growth, fast-paced company. Honored to be part of this mission.

Current Employee - Kansas in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Kansas in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Rhythm Engineering full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy the creative thinking and fast-paced growth in the company. I am given responsibility and held accountable to the responsibility. Not much micro-management. I am also given the authority to fulfill my responsibility. The continuous improvement in processes and structures are refreshing. The adoption of the Kaizen method has given me clarity. I am grateful and honored to be part of this great team that is making a difference in this world.

Cons

Rhythm Engineering is probably the fastest-growing company in the Kansas City area. Along with exponential growth comes challenges. If you are someone who find it hard to handle changes and grow with the change, this company is not for you. I love this!!

Advice to Management

I wish we could have company trips (international, of course) again. I know that the sales people were taken to Dominican Republic for their president's club.

Dream Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Rhythm Engineering full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The COO and the CEO are great. Both work together to move the company and the employees forward. There are no employee reviews...but every quarter, you get to sit with your boss and talk about how to grow in the organization. The "Painted Picture of the Future" by the CEO is really great. You are able to see the vision and see where the company is going. I love the work-life balance.

Cons

You need to bring your "A" game to work and contribute to the company. It has a culture of non-tolerance to the "B" players. Life is cool and exciting as long as you do what you promised to do.

Advice to Management

Please follow the "Painted Picture" and the vision of the CEO. He is a genius.

An Honest Review

I worked at Rhythm Engineering full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- The projects are interesting, but poorly vetted for feasibility.
    - Great work/life balance, although change is in the wind.
    - For the most part, great people. A few I didn't favor, but nothing time wouldn't inevitably correct.
    - As someone mentioned to me, this is the both best and worst place they've worked.

Cons

- Lack of an SME. This is a traffic company without a single subject matter expert on staff. What does that tell you?
    - Impressive turnover. In just 3 years, over 40 people have left this company of about 50. This isn't counting those who left during the previous 2 years of the company's existence. Every personal secretary to the owner has quit or been fired. One who had been with the company since the start was yelled at by RC so badly, she left in tears. The entire marketing department has been sacked 3 times, with round 4 coming very soon. R&D has seen the largest turnover rate, with 2 not even lasting a month. In-house legal counsel was fired. CEO was canned. VP of R&D was forced out. The list goes on and on. This place is a lawsuit waiting to happen.
    - Ever changing project scope and timelines. Those that try to do their jobs using standard engineering practices are simply considered to be slackers and not producing quickly enough - after all, no hardware or software project should take more than 6 months to complete, right?
    - Part-time IT department. Who needs infrastructure! Simply hire a 30 hour a month incompetent rent-an-IT company to maintain a pair of vastly overloaded servers and hope for the best. Cheap.
    - Part-time HR department. The company contracts with an outside HR service for 30 hours a month of HR services. The HR service owner is far too intimately involved in Rhythm to have an unbiased employee-centric view.
    - Bonus structured hiring. This seems to be something new from RC. Several recent hires have been on a bonus structure. Start off with a low base salary, and then dangle the carrot with promises of bonuses if impossible goals are met within impossible timelines. This is a win-win for RC - he can simply get rid of the employee if it looks like they may actually reach the goals and then keep their resulting work (yay, at-will employment), or get a very good, low cost employee if they can't quite reach the goal, but are close. Either way, bonuses are avoided.
    - Hire a Napoléon wanna be. The new COO has the right ideas but the wrong approach. The employees aren't quite the bunch of jacktards RC says they are. Most of the employees really do want standard processes in place, but threating them with 12 hour days, 6 days a week and probable firings if unreasonable timelines aren't met isn't the way to do it. While your goal of canning the acting COO, current Director of R&D, VP of Operations and his PMs is moving as planned, don't forget - RC will can you too as soon as your job is done. RC runs the company, and will always run the company - as I'm sure you are well aware; try buying another MacBook Pro without his blessing if you forgot that fact. But, hey, maybe you can tank this company too before you get fired.
    - Ego. This company is all about RC's ego. Management spends the bulk of its time managing up to RC instead of managing down to ensure well designed, well tested, quality products that meet current (and future) traffic industry needs. This is a company that could be very good if RC didn't put his faith in the wrong people that feed him the crap he wants to hear instead of letting people with vast experience and ability do what they are very good at.
    - Pay disparity. New hires with significantly less experience, and zero traffic knowledge brought on at 30% - 60% higher wages than existing staff, with no intent to equalize that ridiculous difference.
    - Keep looking over your shoulder. Not a day went by that I didn't figure it would be my last. There is no comfort here that your job is secure. The turnover rate has been extremely high, and much of it is based on the whim of the owner. If he doesn't like you, he will make your employment truly miserable until you finally leave.
    - Profit sharing. Each year, 15% of profit (historically accrual based) is shared with the employees. Until 2014 this was never an issue - profit levels were small and the bonus was always about the same, of course with significant variance from employee to employee based on who the owner liked at the time. But 2014 was a banner year, with employees looking forward to a major (epic) bonus. However, the structure was suddenly changed to a cash basis, with year-end emphasis on cash reduction to lessen tax burden, and a last minute removal of significant cash brought the profit sharing bonus back to the level of previous years to avoid giving back to the employees what they were promised at time of hire. Enjoy your telepresence robot, RC. I hope it keeps you warm at night. A tacky, classless, greedy move.
    - Shilling. A couple of the 4 and 5 star reviews on Glassdoor are honest assessments, and I agree with them entirely, but the rest are simply shills. If you are seriously considering working here, please take the 4 and 5 star reviews with a huge grain of salt. The bulk of the low ratings are very true, but a few are utter trash. The 75% CEO rating is horribly inflated - 15% is far more accurate based on the grumblings within the company.

Advice to Management

This is an honest review. I loved my work at Rhythm, but it was absolutely the worst decision I've made in my long career. This is by far the most screwed up, unstable, poorly managed cluster of a company I've ever been associated with. I'm truly relieved to be leaving this place.

Amazing, fast-growing, exciting company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Rhythm Engineering full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Where to start? The people, the atmosphere, the culture, the mission, the product, the service, the benefits, the paid time off, and so much more.

Cons

The lack of communication on imperative issues with the CEO that allows him to "fire-at-will."

Advice to Management

Do not act as if everything is fine if it is not. If something needs to be addressed with someone, address it yourself! This company has the best morale and culture I have ever seen. My supervisor was an amazing person and adviser to me. I was fortunate enough to be a part of such a fast growing and successful company and to help the company with the success, professionally and in celebration. The only issue I had was with the CEO, and unfortunately I know that I am one of six other people to have had this particular issue. I was genuinely hopeful that the previous reviews I had read on GlassDoor (before I accepted the position) were wrong. Unfortunately, I also became a victim of his “fire-at-will” behavior. With such a thriving corporation and such wonderful, intelligent and down to earth people, I feel (along with everyone who knows of this happening) that I was personally attacked and faulted for mistakes that were never made, just so the CEO could have a reason to let me go. Apparently this is an ongoing and vicious process for anyone who works directly for the CEO (more specifically with his calendar). It was worth the time that I worked for him, just being able to connect with all the amazing people that I did. I would do it all over again if the CEO were not someone I had to try and please all the time, all the while being in fear of losing my job even while I was doing everything he asked. Overall, this company is an outstanding place to be. If the position for which you are applying does not involve working directly for the CEO, I would give my highest recommendation. Otherwise, I would recommend working for a different company.

Lofty goals, but a sadly dysfunctional company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Rhythm Engineering full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Able to take charge and influence the direction of projects, if you have the desire
    - Great coworkers

Cons

Unfortunately there are too many cons about Rhythm to list here. The problem (as many reviewers have stated) starts at the top. You have a company owner who admits he doesn't know how to run a business, yet continues to stick his nose into everything. He hires COOs who are yes-men to run the company, and then he takes over departments because he just can't let go. The latest COO has already caused turnover in senior management by a combination of not knowing how to run a start-up and not being able to work with managers who stick up for their subordinates. If you aren't a yes-man too, you'll probably be "resigned" shortly. Two R&D dept heads have been "resigned" in the last 6 months for sticking up for their employees and caring about our products. Basically, the closer you are to the owner/CEO, the more limited the lifespan of your job here will be.

Other problems include the lack of any market analysis before new products are thrown into development by the owner, absolutely ZERO security in our systems and products, and a general lack of knowledge of how our products work outside of junior staff or a few people in R&D.

While this may seem like an awesome place to work in an interview due to the relaxed atmosphere and easy schedule, please do yourself a favor and avoid this place unless you are only looking for short-term employment.

Advice to Management

Get the owner to go on vacation for a few years so the company can actually grow, and fire the new yes-man COO. Let the people who actually make and support the products do what they do well: innovate and grow the company.

Unfortunately, you can't rate below 1

I have been working at Rhythm Engineering full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only Pros I have seen is people keep leaving. Always the same - nothing different. These reviews bug the crap out of the CEO. He doesn't like to lose. He'll keep having others post positive comments... until he wins. Good luck with that one, RC.

Cons

CEO. Just because he isn't around much, doesn't mean he's not running the show. All looks good. Feel sorry for the COO... he'll be gone before you know it.

Advice to Management

JUMP SHIP!

The company has assigned an intern to post these glowing reviews. They all kind of sound the same don't they?

I have been working at Rhythm Engineering full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is a job, not a career. Constant changeover in executives, random firings for no appraent reason other than the CEO got out of the wrong side of the bed.

Cons

No new products, analysis paralysis, constantly doing or not doing the same things over and over and over and expecting different results. "Dreaming" new products, throwing good money at them, only to cancel them. Randomly picking financial goals out of the air because the CEO can "dream it".

Advice to Management

Seek professional help

Glad to be part of the team!

I have been working at Rhythm Engineering full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I love the mission, vision and values of the company. Bringing loved ones to their destination safer and faster is something to be proud of. The people are very courteous and nice. They are also very professional and willing to work together to scale and grow the company. This is one job in my career that I find that I make a meaningful contribution.

Cons

I love it here! I haven't found anything negative in this place. There are no politics and back-stabbing.

Advice to Management

I have nothing to add. I am very satisfied in my position.

Innovative, exciting company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Rhythm Engineering full-time (more than a year)

Pros

the definite pros are visionary and innovative CEO, freedom for innovation, great office culture, great and fun people, Things are really fast and you have infinite space to grow.

Cons

The company grew 70% in 2014. The hyper growth puts stresses on the entire organization and systems...especially operations. Delivery of solutions is always a catch-up game. The growth is organic without outside investment and I think the management does a reasonable job.

Advice to Management

I wish there was more training for employees.

Amazing culture. Great place to work. Excellent mission, vision and values.

Current Employee - Administrative in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Administrative in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Rhythm Engineering full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Glad to be working here. The management team is great. The vision and mission are great. The review-feedback system is great. I am very pleased with the benefits.

Cons

This company is not for people who are just looking for a "job." The mission of the company has to be your passion or you won't fit in. This company is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

I love the weekly hot lunches. I love the little things you do to make team members feel at home and special.

Rhythm Engineering Photos