Rhythm & Hues Studios

Rhythm & Hues Studios Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Rhythm & Hues Studios President John Hughes

John Hughes

Pros:
  • "They had a great medical plan, a comfortable facility, and a few perks like free lunch, and you could bring your dog to work"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Collegiate atmosphere, good production tools that make sense, really good medical and dental, and you get to bring your dog to work"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "R&H continue to perpetuate old production practices of how things were done 10 years ago"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Lower Saleries, tough industry, often long hours for production staff"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Decent company, unfortunate bankrupt

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsIt is a very exciting thing to work in visual effect industry. As one of the leading companies, Rhythm and Hues have excellent technology, strong leadership. The company is full of talented people. R&H even allow you to bring your dog to work. The artist may need to work overtime depending on the ongoing projects, but the after-hour are well paid. The engineering team have very balanced work load. I had happy time working there until it went bankrupt :(

ConsPerhaps they need a stronger business or marketing team or maybe the VFX industry is simply to competitive. Even with oscar winning technologies, rhythm and hues still can escape bankruptcy. Don't expect much about the salary or benefit.

Once an ideal place

VFX Producer (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsR&H was a great place to work and I am grateful that I was able to be there and witness it. They set the bar for me.

ConsSadly, whatever shambles the new company is in does not appear to maintain what made it a great place. That is what I've heard at least.

Advice to Senior ManagementHang on to your people and treat them well.

A close knit studio that feels like home.

Lighting Technical Director (Former Employee)
    El Segundo, CA

ProsEvery experience I've had with R&H has been pleasant and rewarding, even during the worst of times. There isn't a studio in the visual effects industry that outshines R&H where creature/character development is concerned and they have the clout to prove it. As an employee at R&H, I was always excited about the next project and the nature of the work that I was a part of always kept me on my toes and peaked my interests. Aside from the quality of the product developed at R&H, they also take care of their employees financially and show genuine care for the well being of the individuals working there.

ConsUpper management is somewhat cliquey and the process by which employees are promoted is fairly ambiguous and highly political.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company, Bad Times

El Segundo, CA

ProsBest people I ever worked with. I enjoyed coming to work everyday. I don't think I will ever be as excited or happy to go to work like I did for 4 years. John Hughes seemed humble and honest to me, I appreciated that.

ConsPay was really bad compared to peers. Contract rates were unfairly disproportion; you could be sitting next to someone doing the same job (or lower!) making 30% more than you. Negotiate what you can!
    Unfortunately, R&H also went Bankrupt. Now it's by a foreign company that laid off most of the staff. Fish gotta swim, Sharks gotta eat.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay fair livable wages. Everything else was great while I was there pre-Bankrupty.

So much potential hobbled by a dysfunctional industry and poor upper management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people to work with in general. Mediocre jobs, but a lot of talented people.

ConsPoor management, especially in dealing with long term planning

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit, all of you, especially at top management levels that haven't left already.

RIP R&H

Animation TD (Former Employee)
    El Segundo, CA

ProsSome really amazing artist to work with. The management really did care a lot about the employees.

ConsThe industry no longer supports studios like these in LA: Pretty good salaries, decent hours, great talent. There are very few larger studios like this left in LA

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

I had a wonderful experience working at Rhythm & Hues working alongside some of the most talented people in the business

Art Director (Former Employee)
    El Segundo, CA

ProsA great group of people working together to create Academy Award winning special effects. Some great projects in the past. I received a great education working with some talented people.

ConsBankruptcy, going out of business while receiving an Academy Award for our work. the VFX industry has taken a hard hit over the last few years. Its amazing that this company lasted so long through the tough times.

The company was unorganized

ProsWorking at Rhythm and Hues has great work environment.

ConsThe place did not distribute the work as efficiently as it could have

Coordnator

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDog friendly environment. great people, comfortable facility. Never felt like I couldn't give my opinion. great health benefits plan. the location was close to the south bay.

ConsThe company filed for bankruptcy and had to lay off most of its staff. Compensation was lower than average. wasn't run on a sustainable business model.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart up somewhere else and keep the bottom line on you mind a little bit more.

Great company, a victim of the VFX downturn

El Segundo, CA

ProsSome top talent in many disciplines and excellent data pipeline. Some really beautiful work sometimes. Great animation tools and rigging department (before the bankruptcy, not sure about after). Some really clever proprietary tools if you bothered to learn how to use them.

Several international offices and good workflow between them. More like an off shoring model than an outsourcing model.

Great company values and culture (again pre-bankruptcy, not sure about after).

ConsSome projects really could be insane depending on the client. This could vary quite a bit from project to project so your perception of the company could be quite different depending on what you were working on and what department you were in.

There were quite a few supervisors that stopped working on the box but still made a lot of technical decisions.

Proprietary software is a double edged sword -- some really great tools if you are not intimidated by working with a shell-like interface. Really a difficult adjustment especially for some animators and lighters. Some tools were functional but arcane.

Some VFX supe decisions literally could add weeks of time per shot. Nobody really tells the VFX Supe or client, "no, this is going to cost a bundle if you do it that way." Oh, well, R.I.P. VFX industry in Los Angeles.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake what you have and make an animated feature. This place could compete better with Pixar than staying in the VFX realm.

Worked for Rhythm & Hues Studios? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rhythm & Hues Studios reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rhythm & Hues Studios CEO John Hughes. All 73 reviews posted anonymously by Rhythm & Hues Studios employees.