Rice University

Rice University Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Rice University President Dave Leebron

Dave Leebron

Pros
  • beautiful campus, great opportunities to advance, training available(in 16 reviews)

• Rice is located across the street from the Houston Medical Center(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much food option for graduate students(in 10 reviews)

• I don't feel like there is an opportunity for advancement(in 3 reviews)

I had positive experience at Rice.

Post Doctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsRice is close to Texas Medical Center. So, there are lots of ways to collaborate medical researcher from there. There are so many resources available at Rice for a Postdoc.

ConsRice works a bit like a company in my view. Hard to discuss time off, and I had a bit more difficulty to get support for travel, conference from my supervisor.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think Postdocs should be treated not like staff but more like a faculty.

research assistant

ProsI work at the integrated systems and circuit lab. This is a very international lab, people coming from different countries. It is a very friendly place, and those people are smart: they would help me with things when I do not understand.

ConsI am an undergraduate student, and it is not likely that undergrad get the chance to publish something. It is critical to have a journal paper or sth like that to enter graduate school, yet the opportunities here are rare.

A very nice place to work with

Research Scientist (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood benefit and working circumstance.

ConsIt is a place working with stress as research scientist. This also depend on the supervisor you work with.

Advice to Senior Managementrecommend place to work

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best ESL IEP program

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe leadership really cares about the well being of the teachers. There is a warm feeling within the teachers and it is also a warm atmosphere. Pay is above average and always paid on time. Part timers get very good treatment. There is a lot of collaboration between the staff and adminstration

ConsThe IEP students tend to be rowdy and management does little to help teachers when things get bad. There is a definite trend towards worrying about the the bottom line and that is starting to affect who they let in and discplinary measures. This however is the only problem.

A great place to pursue Ph.D. Nice working culture from CS.

ProsFriendly environment. Small faculty to student ratio. More attention.

Conssmall department (Computer Science). Not well-rounded in all areas.

Excellent environment, experience will depend on department

Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsBeautiful campus, lots of friendly and caring people.
    The Shared Equipment Authority is very helpful for graduate students in being able to perform research.

ConsThe health insurance policy is not as comprehensive for graduate students as at some other universities, but it has improved this year.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease try to support the faculty so that good faculty will stay. Faculty who care about teaching/students while at the same time leading very successful research programs are important in making the university what it is, and the quality of the faculty is what undergraduates and graduate students look for in choosing to attend the university. Please don't hire faculty members just because they have a high profile if they are poor teachers and treat their students or colleagues poorly. Such faculty start changing the culture and can cause good faculty to leave and high caliber students to choose other schools.

Fantastic Facilities and people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAs a student here there was an amazing community built to help you succeed.

ConsMany classes were theory based, and design based courses were not implemented until the higher level courses. Although this seems to be changing with the freshman engineering courses of late.

An amazing place to work for students and young professionals

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Prosgreat atmosphere, beautiful campus, smart people, the university management and professors are very supportive, unlimited opportunities, low cost of living in Houston, across the street from the medical center (great for medical and public health professionals), positive personal growth.

ConsHouston can be very hot during the summer, but it's something to get used to. Working here is worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementRice values its students and workers and treats them very well. I worked for the university both as a student and as a recent grad and the professors are supportive of all your endeavors and help you succeed in any way they can. I've had an amazing few years at Rice.

Good buy too small

ProsReputation is high, students can learn a lot from the faculties since the faculty/student ratio is pretty high. Living expenses are not quite high in Houston compare to other big cities like NYC, Chicago, and LA.

ConsResearch directions are limited since the faculty number is also low. You may not find an exactly matched field that you are interested in at Rice.

You either love it or you hate it. There's not much in between.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood time off. Access to very nice fitness facilities. Many colleagues with lots of history with the institution. A general vibe of interest in education and lifelong learning. Beautiful campus. The $150,000 benefit -- children attend free, if they can gain admittance.

ConsWhether you enjoy working at Rice seems to depend largely on what department you work in. Managers seem to have a lot of autonomy to either make your work life fun and pleasant or to micromanage and make your life miserable. Because there are lots of folks who have worked there for years and years, there can be some resistance to change and to operating according to best practice. It's that old "if it ain't broke" mentality. Also, I always found it odd that even employees must pay to park.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire competent folks and then let them run with their projects. Micromanaging kills creativity.

Worked for Rice University? Contribute to the Community!