RichRelevance
www.richrelevance.com San Francisco, CA 150 to 499 Employees

RichRelevance Reviews

Updated Jun 24, 2014

David Selinger

Fast moving pace allows strong individuals to learn a lot

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsTalented colleagues
    Interesting technology
    Great work-from-home policy
    Presence of older software engineers means you don't have to get into management to keep growing
    Freedom to do what you think is best

ConsMargins in the market space are not big, tough to get to big profits
    Management sets unrealistic goals to get more out of people, but not reaching goals can be frustrating
    Freedom can mean your work is not always noticed, and that can make you feel it's not appreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead confidently, don't panic. In case of panic, don't pass that on to the people below you.
    Set your employees up for success, don't try to squeeze extra out of them and leave them feeling like they didn't reach their goals.

I get to work with great customers as well as undertake more leadership repsonsibilities

Manager (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsThe work we do everyday is seen by millions of people on our customers sites. It is great to work with so many companies that are household names.

There is a lot of autonomy in your daily work. Taking things and running with them is the standard.

Plenty of leadership opportunities if you are willing to take on the responsibilities

ConsThe company has grown quite a bit in the last two years, but internal processes remain immature.

Very heavy focus on sales and financial targets seem to outweigh any other metrics or performance indicators.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on science and engineering, keep innovating and pushing the technology (if you build it, they will come).

Great company, great team

ProsThe company has a very clear idea of who the customers are and what problem it solves for these customers. It is the leader in its field and is growing fast.
    The average IQ across the company is very high. Very little politics and a strong can-do attitude. Management is extremely transparent with employees and shares with them what other companies typically consider confidential. The culture is great and it is fun to come to work.

ConsThe company has grown fast over the last few years and suffers from typical startup growth pains like for example communication across teams not being as fluid as needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the bar high for new hires.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Evolution

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsWe bought in a team of experienced professionals at the Exec level to help mature the company. This balance between the old guard and the new guard is actually very good for the long run. Growing pains do exist, but I think we are reaching a point in our company's history where we can no longer be the 50 person start up we once were. We have big brand retailers that we work with and I think people forget how great our product is, especially when you see it daily.

ConsGrowing pains and remembrance of the things past is hurting us right now. Newer people, like me, are excited for the road ahead, whereas, people who have been here for years have probably seen a lot of the changes

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep making the right choices for the long run, not the short term.

Great Company For The Retail Side

New York, NY

Pros- the retail side of the business is where the growth and potential are for an employee

Cons- midlevel managers that should not be in their position
    - communication gets muddled between departments

Good people, poorly managed

San Francisco, CA

Prosfun coworkers, strong individual contributors, a lot of autonomy/leeway depending on role, nice office and some remnants of a once great culture, moderate to good business momentum, some teams under the rare good manager can be great place to work

ConsExecutive team is pretty bad, across the board; Morale feels like it's being intentionally driven down to encourage departures; CEO is egocentric with tendency to jump between tech groups and heavily micromanage creating an environment of fear/stress; innovation has been stifled by the CEO's desire to be the sole visionary, coupled with poor planning and poor management (he doesn't like hiring competitive thinkers at management level, and there is chronically poor carry-through); huge income disparities, with some obvious panderers (very top heavy) with chronically low salaries for many employees; HR and execs have increasingly lost their former transparency, leading to growing uncertainty and sense of deception

Advice to Senior ManagementMove CEO into a sales-only role and replace the exec team (CFO, CTO, Pres, several sales VPs) and some of management; allow individual contributors or the few competent managers to define vision; be 100% transparent, even if it's an ugly truth, to regain faith with your employees; pay market rates and maintain market rates; push for an acquisition

So close...

Prosattract great individual contributors, strong global client network, compelling technology and vision from the CEO, very proactive around culture (but that may be a con...), motivated to be a great company and willing to take the risks to get there

Consthe tech is getting pretty dated, management is really awful, lots of knee jerk reactive behavior to shifts in personnel, always hire externally for exec team, overweight exec team, very transactional, bad team acquisitions in the last 24 months

Advice to Senior ManagementThe only person that voices vision at the upper level is the CEO. He's very smart but a bit of a tyrant. He has to be involved in everything, and so there's no sense of trust. The president is relatively new, still getting his feet under him, but I suspect he actually has the balls to make things happen, so a lot hangs in the balance with him stepping up to his role this year, and actually delivering on his bullish talk. The tech leadership is weak, passive, and reactive. There hasn't really been an innovative technology development that has changed the game for the industry, let alone RR, in a while.

So the advice: lead with product not sales, commission sales support not just the sales exec (it takes a village - the pay disparity is appauling), promote within, cultivate culture through hiring and firing, bring visibility to line-item costs and burn.

2014 Will Be a Game Changer

Account Manager (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe culture here is fantastic. The "average" person is spectacular. I enjoy walking in the door every day. RichRelevance is filled with smart people who are passionate about Ecommerce technology and the majority of them believe in the direction the company is headed. There are very few companies out there that have under 300 people that create the flexibility to take talented people that may be in the wrong job and figure out a career path for them that will utilize their strengths. I understand that isn't always possible but when it is it definitely takes a good manager to fight the fight for someone on their team to make sure they end up in the right spot. The re-org in mid-2013 was painful and it took several months for the dust to settle, but things feel very very solid going into 2014. I am beyond enthusiastic to be part of this incredible company and know RichRelevance will succeed!

ConsIf I had to say one, the office location. I spend more time than I should getting here and I'm more productive (and happy) working from home one day a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and be as transparent as possible. Give feedback. Continue to reward good behavior. Continue investing in the culture because that's half the reason why we're here.

Client services has the worst management members

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsCentrally located, close to public transportation, feels like a fun start up (from the outside)

Cons1. Managers don't really care, they will make you feel miserable every day and do nothing when you are being abused by a male colleague even after expressing yourself.
    2. Manager does not listen to feedback and hires colleagues that have the least technical aptitude - only to build a empire of their own.
    3. You do all the work, while your manager and other ass kissing colleagues take all the credit.
    4. Upper management does not follow the open door policy that they preach about.
    5. At the end of the day if you can't play the office politics, you can't work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company has a lot of potential, but the management team is there to stop the success of the company. I only hope the founders realize the black moles within the management team before it is too late

Bring your A game

Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsYou need to be very talented to survive here. The managers have a pretty high bar which can be inspiring. Lots of changes have been made for this year and I believe 2014 will be a good year for the company.

ConsBecause of the high expectations, some people get stressed from the constant need to innovate. With multiple changes on a myriad of projects, it feels like you can never breathe from project to project.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to focus on a series of high impact projects instead of finding the bright shiny objects. CEO should continue to have a strong vision about what he wants to see from each department.

Worked for RichRelevance? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at RichRelevance reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for RichRelevance CEO David Selinger. All 40 reviews posted anonymously by RichRelevance employees.