RichRelevance

Updated October 23, 2014
Updated October 23, 2014
3.4

David Selinger

Great experience, fantastic people!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at RichRelevance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Learning curve is a bit steep if you haven't dealt with the tech side of retail, but that's exactly what I was looking for - a chance to learn new skills and become a more technical marketer.

The people are fantastic. I still connect with several of them regularly and maintain great relationships.

Cons

It seems like the company is always in flux. However, that's exactly what retail is today. So RichRelevance being in flux is a consistent with that. I wouldn't hold that against them.

Selly needs to reengage and become once again more involved with the company. The company was at its most desirable state when he was involved and had less bureaucratic layers (president, VPs, directors, etc.).

Great Tech Awful leadership

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at RichRelevance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great people, great company culture

Cons

Awful leadership. CEO is an ego maniac and single handily is ruining the company

Fire the CEO

Good Ideas + Poor Execution = Trouble Ahead

Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at RichRelevance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

3 or 4 years ago, RR was a fun place to work where everyone believed in the CEO and his vision of bringing personalization to the greater world of e-Commerce. RR hooked up early on with some very good clients, but after the smoke and mirror show put forth at signing - the innovation stopped and the company has never (and never will) fully recover.

Cons

CEO is unable to stay on course and has basically fooled the staff and bullied the management into following his haphazard direction. He has stocked the senior group with his do nothing cronies who basically deliver very few of the milestones they promise to clients, while he spends his days making media appearances where all he talks about is his glory days at Amazon. How can the CEO of a company gain access to an interview on NPR and then talk about Amazon, not his own company for the entire 5 minutes?

Through poor leadership and management and a lack of innovation, RR has gone from leading the race to simply another media company with a good idea on paper and poor execution in practice.

Three layoffs in 5 years says it all. Terrible leadership from the CEO who is out building his own personal brand everyday, to the President who has accomplished nothing since he took over, all the way down to a whole staff of "smart engineers" who have delivered exactly zero innovation. Big Data is only a big idea when you can actually extract it and use it to grow your business

Startup purgatory

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at RichRelevance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people in the trenches, good exposure to the Hadoop ecosystem, sf office is nice and fun when people show up, unlimited PTO policy, decent pay (people always negatively compare the engineering salaries to places like Facebook and google, but most of the engineering staff couldn't get jobs there anyway). Good infrastructure and dev ops/systems engineers.

Cons

Oy. Nobody is excited anymore. The office is dead, except when there's free food or beverage, and that's when the HR camera gets broken out. Laborious effort is expended by way too many people to cultivate culture through events, policies and programs; culture should be an organic thing that comes from the kind of people you hire. Keeping engineers is hard; most start looking for their next job after they've hit the first cliff for their tiny equity stake. Sales staff is incredibly transient. Deal flow is lumpy and results in staff cuts at the earliest signs of droughts.

Manage the company to succeed, not to merely exist. Tech leadership needs to be on the floor and interact with staff.
    Figure out how to boost motivation for free, the old fashioned way: by improving management tactics. And it starts with individuals.
    Pivot. Get out of the retail recs business. There's a reason why the other companies that were in our space years before we were haven't succeeded or gave up on retail. It's a brutal trench war. We will never exit if we are competing on price on $50,000 deals. There are probably 15 clever ways to do this with the infrastructure that they have.
    Get a visionary leader, a proven icon that has worked at one of the companies that we emulate through this phase of growth, that will inspire into the technical leadership (ie, replace CTO). The engineers and product team need a Moses to lead them out this disaster.
    Once you've done the above, Monitor who's still on job boards at the office and do everyone a favor; cut the dead weight. You are financing their job search.

Fast moving pace allows strong individuals to learn a lot

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at RichRelevance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Talented colleagues
    Interesting technology
    Great work-from-home policy
    Presence of older software engineers means you don't have to get into management to keep growing
    Freedom to do what you think is best

Cons

Margins in the market space are not big, tough to get to big profits
    Management sets unrealistic goals to get more out of people, but not reaching goals can be frustrating
    Freedom can mean your work is not always noticed, and that can make you feel it's not appreciated.

Lead confidently, don't panic. In case of panic, don't pass that on to the people below you.
    Set your employees up for success, don't try to squeeze extra out of them and leave them feeling like they didn't reach their goals.

I get to work with great customers as well as undertake more leadership repsonsibilities

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at RichRelevance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work we do everyday is seen by millions of people on our customers sites. It is great to work with so many companies that are household names.

There is a lot of autonomy in your daily work. Taking things and running with them is the standard.

Plenty of leadership opportunities if you are willing to take on the responsibilities

Cons

The company has grown quite a bit in the last two years, but internal processes remain immature.

Very heavy focus on sales and financial targets seem to outweigh any other metrics or performance indicators.

Focus on science and engineering, keep innovating and pushing the technology (if you build it, they will come).

Evolution

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at RichRelevance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

We bought in a team of experienced professionals at the Exec level to help mature the company. This balance between the old guard and the new guard is actually very good for the long run. Growing pains do exist, but I think we are reaching a point in our company's history where we can no longer be the 50 person start up we once were. We have big brand retailers that we work with and I think people forget how great our product is, especially when you see it daily.

Cons

Growing pains and remembrance of the things past is hurting us right now. Newer people, like me, are excited for the road ahead, whereas, people who have been here for years have probably seen a lot of the changes

Keep making the right choices for the long run, not the short term.

Great company, great team

I have been working at RichRelevance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company has a very clear idea of who the customers are and what problem it solves for these customers. It is the leader in its field and is growing fast.
    The average IQ across the company is very high. Very little politics and a strong can-do attitude. Management is extremely transparent with employees and shares with them what other companies typically consider confidential. The culture is great and it is fun to come to work.

Cons

The company has grown fast over the last few years and suffers from typical startup growth pains like for example communication across teams not being as fluid as needed.

Keep the bar high for new hires.

Great Company For The Retail Side

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at RichRelevance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- the retail side of the business is where the growth and potential are for an employee

Cons

- midlevel managers that should not be in their position
    - communication gets muddled between departments

Good people, poorly managed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at RichRelevance full-time

Pros

fun coworkers, strong individual contributors, a lot of autonomy/leeway depending on role, nice office and some remnants of a once great culture, moderate to good business momentum, some teams under the rare good manager can be great place to work

Cons

Executive team is pretty bad, across the board; Morale feels like it's being intentionally driven down to encourage departures; CEO is egocentric with tendency to jump between tech groups and heavily micromanage creating an environment of fear/stress; innovation has been stifled by the CEO's desire to be the sole visionary, coupled with poor planning and poor management (he doesn't like hiring competitive thinkers at management level, and there is chronically poor carry-through); huge income disparities, with some obvious panderers (very top heavy) with chronically low salaries for many employees; HR and execs have increasingly lost their former transparency, leading to growing uncertainty and sense of deception

Move CEO into a sales-only role and replace the exec team (CFO, CTO, Pres, several sales VPs) and some of management; allow individual contributors or the few competent managers to define vision; be 100% transparent, even if it's an ugly truth, to regain faith with your employees; pay market rates and maintain market rates; push for an acquisition