Richards Group Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
3.8

Richards Group Founder Stan Richards
Stan Richards

Pros
  • Good benefits from profit sharing (in 7 reviews)

• Great work life balance, nice people, decent-to-good ads of all kinds and all clients (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and layoffs seemed to be a common occurence (in 7 reviews)

• Bobble heads of Stan Richards peering from every desk (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Brand Management Intern

Former Employee - Brand Management Intern in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Brand Management Intern in Dallas, TX

I worked at Richards Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

TRG wants its employees to stay with them for a long time (& many people do)- seems like there are good benefits with profit sharing. Stan Richards is a generous and insightful creative genius- after meeting him, it is apparent that he is a "one of a kind" CEO in the world of advertising. The world needs more people like Stan Richards. Lots of excitement, creativity. Really nice, thoughtful people over all- most people are there to help and contribute to success. Interns are given big tasks & allowed to fully participate in meetings, projects, etc. Employees are smart and enthusiastic.

Cons

As an intern, you tend to be tossed into the mix with little actual training- this can be good and bad. If you're not good with time management, TRG might not be the place for you (8:30-5:30 schedule & sign in policy). I didn't mind this policy, but some might.

Priceless experience!

Former Employee - Brand Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Brand Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Richards Group full-time

Pros

The level of the work is superb, the standards the highest, and the toughness of the environment strengthen your natural skills.

Cons

The 8:29 rule (you must sign in at 8:29 every day), is outdated and ridiculous in the "24/7 connected era." That's a deal breaker for many people. Additionally, the creative approach is falling behind the industry in terms of innovation. TRG creative style is perhaps way too conservative compared to other more innovative and disruptive ad agencies.

Get rid of that ridiculous/non-sense 8:29 rule. It is an ad agency, not a chicken farm.

Brand Management Intern

I worked at Richards Group as an intern

Pros

Lots of excitement in the company, employees seemed overall happy with their accounts and it was interesting to hear all of ideas bouncing back and forth. Very social environment. Open office structure, no office doors.

Cons

It's easy to get lost in the huge influx of people. There was minimal training as an intern. I didn't learn as much as I would have liked and I felt as though the group I worked with were caught up in their accounts and I was just handed off random tasks here and there.

Take more time with training and development of interns and new hires.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX

I worked at Richards Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salary was good. Retirement benefits were excellent. People were generally decent. Building was centrally located around most major highways. Atmosphere was good.

Cons

Health premiums were outrageously high, especially if you had a family. Prescription benefits were more like discount cards. Cult-like followers. VERY long hours. Understaffed almost always. Usually will fire rather than lay off.

Appreciate your employees

Great internship experience!

Former Employee - Brand Management in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Brand Management in Dallas, TX

I worked at Richards Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Absolutely love the people
    -Management is great
    -Great work-life balance as an intern, full-time employees tend to work a lot, but the ones who are diligent about having work-life balance succeed in doing so
    -Freedom to explore other careers within the agency

Cons

No real complaints during my time there.

Good agency experience, people are extremely helpful

Current Employee - Brand Planning Intern in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Brand Planning Intern in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Richards Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, huge help and are willing to work with you. Ability to take on your own projects and work across multiple teams.

Cons

Difficult to get into projects — often coming in mid project takes a lot of time. Getting briefed on projects/finding time to meet with higher ups can be difficult. Agency is a bit tepid.

Great place to grow and learn the business from the best in the industry.

Current Employee - Social Strategy in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Social Strategy in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Richards Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Hands-on experience with top national brands
    - Excellent company values and culture

Cons

- Work/life balance
    - Employees are often overworked and stressed

Great, Very catechizing,

Current Employee - Acting CD in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Acting CD in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Richards Group full-time

Pros

You couldn't find a better place to work in the ad business.

Cons

Con? I never noticed any, well there was this one guy with tattoos,

Keep it up!

A very good look at day-to-day agency life with opportunity for full-time employment.

Former Employee - Public Affairs/Cause Team in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Public Affairs/Cause Team in Dallas, TX

I worked at Richards Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Competent Staff - Everyone is highly motivated and serious about the work the agency does. There are a lot of younger full-time staffers willing to help interns understand how to get ahead and meet expectations.
    Fantastic Intern Program- There is an intern seminar series which allows interns from all concentrations to hear lectures from specialists in every department. This provides an opportunity to explore for those who are on the fence concerning their concentration.
    Opportunity for full-time promotion - It seems as if my department hires almost exclusively from the intern program. Many of the younger team members had gone through the program no more than 4 years ago. Though it is circumstantial how openings within a department appear (new business/normal turnover/tranfers), preference seems to be given to those who have been through the program.

Cons

Pay - It seems that with the larger and impressive clients, TRG can offer less pay and still get great talent. The upside is being able to put TRG on your resume.
    Work (Depending on your department) - I, personally, was pleased with the work I was assigned. However, I do know other interns who experienced monotonous life-draining work that did little to prepare them for anything other than completing coverage reports. It depends entirely on the team you work with, the clients you work for, and perhaps the time of year you intern.
    Pace can be slow if interning during summer - People vacation during the summer. That's life. There may be weeks where you don't see your manager. Then you're given a huge project the day they get back. This is all to be expected.

Make clear the path to full-time from the internship program.

A bustling, top-tier, agency full of fun, creative people

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Richards Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company culture is solid
    Profit sharing...can't beat it
    Great ideas really do come from anywhere

Cons

The base salary isn't anything to smile at, but other benefits balance that out.

Innovation is not just something that should be done for the clients. Embrace new technologies and approaches to the old-word advertising model.