Ricky's Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.2
CEO

Pros
  • Fun enviornment, great products, can dress however you want (in 3 reviews)

• You get a 40% discount on all Ricky's product (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • They expect so much from their sales associates with little pay and respect (in 4 reviews)

• It's hard to get hired unless it's Halloween season (when Ricky's actually starts making sales) (in 2 reviews)

1. Okay company

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

Pros

the employee discount is one the reasons i liked working here. the discount was great, the people you work with are great..many different styles ..you can appreciate.

Cons

The cons of working with rickys is the pay...they want you to do a tremendous amount of work for very little pay. Also the hours suck..you barely get hours.

Advice to Management

need to step up the salary for the employees.

2. Company has a long way to go

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Ricky's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discount is generous and fair. The staff members you work with become like family. Everyone really looks out for each other at store level. Opportunity for growth is there if you want it.

Cons

Pay scale is totally off. Women are paid way less than male store managers, although women are fully capable of performing the same essential duties as male managers. They are quick to promote just about anyone with a brain into a management position. However, they are also quick to overwhelm management with repetitive tasks. They'll make decisions to do things one way and the next day change their minds. Also, once promoted, it is very difficult to get a fair wage increase. They also promote individuals with little or no management experience at all, which in turns causes all sorts of loss prevention issues at store level because very few are trained properly prior to being promoted. Turn over rate in the company is also very high. Corporate does not value it's long term employees. Benefits are terrible and health insurance offered by the company is almost not affordable.

Advice to Management

The company needs to invest in their employees. They are the company's most valuable asset.

3. The Last Resort

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Ricky's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has a possibility of having Pros to it but at the moment I really can't think of any aside from a pretty OK discount.

Cons

A simple minded president with no past or related retail/business experience. Extremely unprofessional staff (Mostly the higher-ups). Ridiculously high turn-over rate. Sexual Harassment going unaddressed, no investigation. NO EMPLOYEE APPRECIATION!

Advice to Management

Establish a proper system of checks and balances. Everyone seems to think that one persons position/job is more important than everyone else's. Realize that it takes everyones role for the ENTIRE company to succeed. Someone who is qualified needs to step in and stop the President of the company from making horrible decisions that continue to run the company into the ground. Also care more about your employees safety, including unsafe working conditions and sexual harassment against female employees.

5. Rickys NYC

Former Employee - ASM in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - ASM in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

A good Discount on lip balm.

Cons

They only hire part time. Hourly Wage sucks.

6. Salon Assistant

Former Employee - Salon Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Salon Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Ricky's (Less than a year)

Pros

Great locations, free education, great hours, great discount

Cons

unprofessional management, stylists are always picking favorites, unorganized education, stylists don't tip assistants

Advice to Management

I worked at the salon (Revolver Salon) for almost a year and my experience was terrible. There were some very talented stylist, but most of them weren't. The education was unorganized, some of the stylists were nasty to assistants for no reason, I never felt like I learned anything during my training, and here's the worst part: a handful of stylists had drugs delivered to the salon while they were working. Management level as well! It doesn't matter what you do during your free time, but don't make that a part of your work day. I also felt none of the management had any intention of putting any of the assistants on the floor (unless you were buddy buddy with them).

7. I was a sales associate, seasonally and I helped with makeup, costumes, wigs, and hair/beauty supplies.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Ricky's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved learning and helping with makeup and hair products. The employee discount was 40% which is great! I worked with a fun team.

Cons

Minimum wage. Seasonal. Like all retail jobs, we had a lot of irritating customers. Hard to get rehired, even after being recommended.

Advice to Management

My re-hire interview process, after working seasonally, was very unprofessional. People walked in and out of the room and between my interviewer and me. I'm assuming she barely remembered anything about me because of all the interruptions.

8. Overall Positive

Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Ricky's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good first time employer. Reasonable discount. Flexible hours for associate employees. Options available for growth within the company. Great way to gain experience in sales and beauty product knowledge.

Cons

After the change in corporate ownership and operations a lot of the positive practices were lost. No longer offer product knowledge classes or general training. Minimal support for newly promoted or hired management. Focus on the products and the customer experience is gone.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees who have been with the company longer than the new company president. Take the time to train your staff and show them your support. Do not make promises that can't be kept.

9. Love customers, hate idiots running company and most managers.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

Pros

Nice customers and co associates

Cons

Some of these inexperienced managers play favoritism when it comes to hours no matter how hard you work. We talking 25 hrs. for favorites and 10 hrs. for real hard workers but its not every store just ones with managers with bad judgement.

Advice to Management

I swear you guys promote the wrong people. Just because they know products it doesn't mean they can manage a store. associates should know products your managers should be leaders and respected but that's impossible when friendships come before business. Food for thought hope you guys read this.

10. Horrible horrible horrible!!

Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Ricky's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Key thing is EXPERIENCE

Cons

100% no benefits, management is horrible, no proper training, pretty much throws you out on the field without help. Will put you inside of a store without staff

Advice to Management

Please if you need experience bad work here since anybody becomes a store manager and leave asap

11. Fun, terrible pay, but fun

Former Employee - Beauty Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Beauty Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Ricky's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some product training and free products, good discount. Not incredibly organized as a company but fun to work. Fun people, exiting setting, terrible pay but bearable.

Cons

District managers pick and choose favorites, everything is a popularity contest with them. Bully managers, fire them for no reason. Expect to be assigned menial ridiculous tasks, like merchandising and moving products, over and over and over and over and OVER for NO reason but the fact that a "district manager" wants to have you doing that. Honestly, It's fun to work there - the district managers just seem glorified and don't really know what they're doing - things get lost in translation between corporate and the retail floor.

Advice to Management

Get your life.

RSS Feed </> Embed