Ricoh Americas Corporation

Updated August 26, 2014

2.6

Ricoh Americas Corporation Chairman & CEO Martin Brodigan
Martin Brodigan

Pros
  • Strong company with good benefits and 401k plan (in 15 reviews)

• Work life balance and work from home are nice options with my current team (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little to no communication from upper management (in 16 reviews)

• IKON management does not have Ricoh's best interest at heart (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company, non-competitive salary for internal employees

I have been working at Ricoh Americas Corporation full-time

Pros

Vacation time and floating holidays are great. With the addition of Beneplace external benefits are better. Health benefits are great. Training is extensive through online programs like Skillsoft. Ricoh has some educational reimbursement based on final course grade, and offer reimbursement for CompTia courses.

Cons

External candidates are paid substantially more when brought in. Internal employees moving up a position are given a maximum of 7% raise. We have had two pay raise freezes over the last 10 years. Annual raises are rarely more than .30 cents. Benefits for Ricoh manufactured goods are (Printers, scanners, projectors, cameras) are very weak, and employees are better off purchasing these products from Amazon.

The disparity between the pay offered for an internal employee and pay offered to an outside candidate is a great injustice to an employee that has given many years of faithful service, and has a proven track record. Typically the candidates you bring from the outside rarely seem to last two years. Then a scramble seems to be made, and the position is given to an faithful employee who then is very discouraged they make substantially less than the fly-by-night person they replaced. This only seems to create bitterness. Rework your hiring process and pay more to keep employees so they don't leave when a competitor offers better opportunities.

Great introduction to B2B sales, that's about it

Current Employee - Major Account Executive
    Current Employee - Major Account Executive

I have been working at Ricoh Americas Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There's a major lack in talent because of the low base salary and compensation plan, so it is easy to look like a stud as a mediocre sales rep. You can move up within the company fairly easier just by hanging around because the turnover rate is so high. You can make a great living if you play the politics properly

Cons

Compensation plan is horrible. Way below industry average for base salary and the commission percentages actually dropped 1% on April 1st. Management is a good ole boys club from regional vp and above. Unless you know someone who will carry you to the top, you don't stand a chance. This company is not willing to invest in it's people or it's outdated offices. It's all about bottom line. We don't practice what we preach and almost everything we use on a day to day basis is well out of date. Except salesforce our crm program. Ricoh invests in acquisitions and micro management. That's about it. My largest concern in working for this company is that Ricoh is a follower and not a leader in innovation and ideas

This is tough because there is a lot of work that needs to be done. The sales environment needs to be more positive. After all, we are all on the same team as Ricoh employees. Salaries need to be closer to industry average to surround us with more talented employees. Invest in the technology that we preach to our customers. In order for employees to understand the benefits of software, let them use it to streamline their day to day business processes. Hire successful sales people in senior management, not accountants who only care about crunching numbers and don't understand soft costs. I've worked for companies that when I left regional meetings I was so excited to go out and talk about new technology. The meetings here are boring and beat up sessions

Has served me well enough for 11 years

Current Employee - Site Manager III  in  Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Site Manager III in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Ricoh Americas Corporation for more than 10 years

Pros

As with most companies, the little guys usually get the worst of it. The problem is, recognition of them is poor as well. There is no profit sharing, the bonuses are only for upper management, and the few reward programs they have aren't really directed at the best employees, just the ones who scored highest on a pointless test, or took optional training, etc. Meanwhile, the best employees could possibly get nothing. There is room for growth, but it really depends on what marketplace you live in.

Cons

There is a complicated system for pretty much everything you need to do.

Give rewards for ALL good employees, help motivate them. Don't expect middle management to motivate employees when they are given no resources to do so.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great stepping stone into big money careers

I worked at Ricoh Americas Corporation

Pros

Tons of resources and tons of training. Tons of top performers with great advice. Major/Strategic Accounts = great careers!

Cons

Too low of salary in Mid-market for long term stability. Too many negative Nancy's and too many complainers. Tenure is more valuable than merit which makes zero sense in sales

Less feet on the street, higher salaries and more accountability = less turnover

Solid benefits, siloed company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Ricoh Americas Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work life balance and work from home are nice options with my current team. Good 401(k). Lots of skills and different areas of the business to draw experience from.

Cons

Large company with a number of past acquisitions has created a lot of silos. Many groups do not know much about what the others do. Time card system is an inefficient way to do business for employees and managers and shows lack of trust.

Continue to work on breaking down the silos and unifying the company.

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive I  in  Lisle, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive I in Lisle, IL

I worked at Ricoh Americas Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people to work with, although this could be specific to my particular office. Lots of tools and information at your finger tips. Seems to be a genuinely company with good intentions.

Cons

There is horrible disorganization. As an Account Executive you have many responsibilities that should not be put on the backs of the outside sales force. No one person seems to ever be able to answer a question for you and everything you do gets messed up in some way shape or form. I know the company is going through a restructuring process, but I have never been so frustrated with any job I've had. I was very successful and got awards for being well over my quota. Even with my success considered I don't think the compensation was sufficient for the amount of work put in and there just isn't a clear path for the company right now. They are trying to move from just selling copiers to becoming a technology company. The problem is they don't really know how to do that and try to put the two tasks on one person with a quota for customer contact that doesn't match how the rest of the actually successful technology oriented companies approach this sort of sale. Hopefully one day they will get it straightened out. I hate to say it but don't take a job there unless you are desperate for employment. Just use them as a resume builder and get out.

The direct sales managers are not the problem. It's the processes that are involved with any kind of implementation and sales approach. The change needs to start at a corporate level. Keep selling copiers as what they are, copiers. Approach the emerging technologies sector the same way others have or be new and innovative. Ricoh is a great company that has lost its way.

Great company to cut your teeth with.

Current Employee - Production Print Specialist
    Current Employee - Production Print Specialist

I have been working at Ricoh Americas Corporation full-time

Pros

Many levels of support. More training than you will ever need. Great experience builder. Well known name, makes calls easier. The people and culture are great. Great involvement with the community and United Way campaigns. Solid copier technology.

Cons

Low Pay. Billing issues. Confrontational sales management (no excuses, no coaching). Unrealistic quota's for account executives (Had a regional VP say 65% would be a great year). Declining Industry. Company moves at a snails pace to adapt to the market (follower, not leader). Benefits are great for individuals, but poor for families.

Be honest with employees and pay them better if you really want to keep your Account Executives.

Decent pay for an easy job

Current Employee - On Site Service Specialist  in  Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - On Site Service Specialist in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Ricoh Americas Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Direct Supervisor was laid back and easy to get along with.
    Easy work with long deadlines for most.
    Decent pay considering how easy the job is.

Cons

Very little room for upward mobility
    Site manager had no idea what he was doing
    Very little pay increase no matter how hard you worked

Reward your good employees and they will reward you!

Good Company, but remote connection wears on you a little.

I have been working at Ricoh Americas Corporation

Pros

Can work locally for a worldwide company.

Cons

Low end yearly Merit Increases.

Discuss with employees that have remote positions what could help them feel more connected.

They offer you the opportunity to learn and grow in the IT field

Current Employee - Helpdesk Technician  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Helpdesk Technician in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Ricoh Americas Corporation as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Schedule and benefits are great

Cons

Under payed positions deter performance

Worked for Ricoh Americas Corporation? Contribute to the Community!