Ricoh Canada

Glenn Laverty

Good

Former Employee - Accounts Payable
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable

I worked at Ricoh Canada as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly work life balance personal growth compensation friendly and etc

Cons

Time off policies and overtime issues

If you like door-to-door sales and unprofessional management work here

Former Employee - Key Accounts Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Key Accounts Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Ricoh Canada full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Autonomy and the opportunity to not interact with management (at any level) on a day-to-day basis.

Cons

Highly unprofessional management.
    Very very low pay.

Get a clue.
    Stop lying to employees.

As a long term Rep at Ricoh I found management played favourites, moved accounts, played head games.

I worked at Ricoh Canada full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Training was great. Able to deploy solutions easily, on time, and on budget for the customers.

Cons

"Cons" - Senior management team, excluding the President, not very impressive.

Treat everyone equally and fairly.

Gone to hell since turning company over to IKON...

Current Employee - Service in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Service in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Ricoh Canada full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent work-life balance and work hours. Never see management so you can pretty much what you want.

Cons

- When company was going good, bonuses were based on individual performance. Now that profits are hurting, bonuses are based almost entirely on corporate financials
    - Every year we lose benefits and have to pay more for less
    - No pension plan you can expect to survive on
    - Senior management team members appear to actually work against each other
    - Over the last 2 years, service group management is not being transparent as if they are hiding something
    - Say "customer experience" but reduce services and add new fees to customers every year
    - Treats employees as disposable assets to be eliminated

Upper management is completely dysfunctional and operating on their own agendas

If you are thinking of working for this outfit, stay the heck away!

Current Employee - Field Technician in Smithers, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Field Technician in Smithers, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Ricoh Canada full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Learning about photo copiers was an interesting experience. You definitely find out who makes good equipment, and who makes pure garbage.

Cons

Too many calls asking for assistance from other techs. Management refuses to hire another technician to assist the one having problems covering his area. Instead, they continuously kick a technician out of his service area to provide assistance. This only aggravates the tech involved, and put his service area at risk for backlogged service calls. The company bonus was pathetic. To only get a $200 bonus for the amount of work involved is a slap in the face. Being forced to take CompTIA certification is another reason to stay away. $45000 CDN is not enough to remained satisfied.

You'll find yourself spending more money on vehicle maintenance as the vehicle allowed provided does not pay for a lot of things. Expect to have a lot of mileage on your tires and damage done to your interior due to toner mess. Expect to receive damaged parts on a frequent basis. You can also find that the parts have been poorly rebuilt, and are not brand new!

Techs are expected to do all the leg-work; Cold calls, inquiries on machine performance, do regular PM's even when the customer has not reported a performance issue. Sales and management do not get involved with the customer after the sale has been completed. As far as I am concerned, if someone sold the machine, they should be the ones interacting with the customers before AND after the sale.

Get your heads out of your rears and stop focusing on metrics and logistics. Most of all, stop focusing on how to cut corners on your product quality and how to make more profit. Techs are human beings and deserve to be treated as such, not as a number. When a customer expects an escalation to be handled, do your duty and handle that escalation. Quit forcing the tech to blow rainbows and sunshine at the customer, that is your job.

Make the sale, hit your numbers, screw the customer.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Ricoh Canada full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Outside sales so you're very independent and spend most of the day outside of the office, mostly unsupervised.

Cons

The copier is on it's way out and so is that whole industry, but quotas still reflect the fat times of the late 90's and mid-2000's. Hard to hit quota, but if you hustle and they like you you'll get fed better accounts.

Better sales training, invest in employees, actually do marketing, differentiate with culture.

They never learn

Current Employee - Alberta in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Alberta in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Ricoh Canada full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I like most of my colleagues and I have an opportunity to learn.

Cons

I am concerned that our newest HR person here in Alberta left us as she was providing great support and hope. The company clearly doesn't want people to know that we have a serious morale issue. She was resourceful, helpful and truly knew her profession and was an inspiration to us all. A dynamic individual and yet when she stood up for the little people, the big bad person was not willing to listen. This company is clearly too old school and is not willing to change. Therefore I ask what does my future hold?

Profit is a huge part of our culture, yet if you wish to make more money get rid of some of the old money. We want our HR person back as she is the only one who cared. She may have been with us only a few months, but she is your key to a greater success, larger than what we have now. She understood what customer service is all about, external and internal.

Ricoh provided me with outstanding experiences and opportunities for merit-based growth.

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Ricoh Canada full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Good value system. Lots of opportunities for social engagement. Great environment to work in. CSR is strong in the culture.

Cons

Poor operational structure hinders efficiency and often cause headaches.

Work on service and logistics!

Overall great experience 16+ years

Former Employee - Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Ricoh Canada full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, Pension, Stability, People, Celebrations

Cons

Large work load, constant down sizing, poor work life balance, high turn over in certain departments.

There are some wonderful things about Ricoh Canada that I miss greatly and I have more fond memories than bad. Management could stand to listen to the front line workers when contemplating new procedures, operating systems etc. It seems that the people "in the know" are not consulted when new processes are being put into place and expenditures are made before properly vetting them.

During my employment with Ricoh (16 years overall) my department went from 8 to 3 employees in a mere 5 year span and the workload was ever-increasing. My work / life balance became intolerable and I opted for a step down (and out) in order to decrease my stress level. Otherwise I could have seen myself working 20+ years more to retirement with Ricoh.

I did find, for the most part that employees in similar levels were treated equally which comes across as fairness and of which I was always a fan. I hope that the Corporate culture has improved more as moral was quite low when I last worked there.

Experience was great. Learned new technologies and worked with most co operative Team

I worked at Ricoh Canada

Pros

Good company and well co operative team

Cons

Less opportunities to be hired