Rider University

Rider University Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

A typical, decent, comprehensive University focusing on business, education, and performing art esp. vocal music.

Assistant Professor (Former Employee) Lawrenceville, NJ

ProsSupportive, collegial, homey atmosphere. It's easy to get to know people in other departments. Number of adjuncts allowed is limited. Strong union.

ConsHealth benefits are dismal. Unbalanced focus: liberal arts and sciences are the poor cousins, existing mostly for service courses. Strong union.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove health benefits for families. Give the liberal arts the support they need to become first-class citizens.

Resident Advisor

Resident Advisor (Former Employee)

Pros-opportunities to learn/enhance skills - communication, conflict resolution, group work, programming/event planning, etc
    -networking opportunities

ConsFavoritism - was an issue at the time. If you were not a favorite, good luck with getting opportunities or recognition.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain leaders more

Good people and facilities, limited room for growth

Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsGreat healthcare benefits and opportunities to expand upon your education.

ConsVery limited opportunities for growth make it difficult to stay motivated.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Taught as an adjunct and the experience was great

Adjunct Faculty Member (Former Employee) Lawrenceville, NJ

ProsTaught a science class as an adjunct and the infrastructure and supports were excellent. The students were motivated and the pay was competitive with other institutions. As a smaller school they ran the class with about 8 students which never would have happened at a larger university

ConsThe only real con for Rider is that they didn't hire me for a full-time faculty position. I would adjunct there again.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to hiring full time teachers as opposed to using a lot of adjuncts!

Rider University is extremely well organized

Office Coordinator (Former Employee) Melbourne, FL

ProsOnly hires, and keeps, the most competent and qualified individuals for each individuals respective job

ConsSometimes needs a few more people to be available in case of emergencies.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

It was decent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you exhibit a good work ethic and leadership skills there is a good chance of promotion.

There is a lot of overtime available during the summer.

ConsManagement oftentimes would crack under pressure and snap at underlings.

There is a minimal amount of training given.

Management believes that if they tell you that you're appreciated, they can then go ahead and treat you like garbage.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your workers like people and you'll get more out of them.

Train your workers.

Pleasant environment with friendly peope

ProsLaid back work environment in my department. As long as necessary work was completed things went smoothly.

ConsBudget cutbacks made work a little harder because you didn't have as much to work with as you would like.

Advice to Senior ManagementGetting feedback from the lower tiers can be invaluable.

Great place for people who don't like to be too pushed

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsYou receive support from the manager every time you need it. You feel comfortable and taken care of. Thete is this friendly attitude towards employees. The responsibilities are delegated to the workers and nobody stays over your head keeping an eye on your work and on the particular order you're doing it.

ConsSometimes the day seems too long and the work too little and the hours are rolling as centuries.

Fine student work-study for slightly above minimum wage

Student Worker (Talbott Library) (Former Employee)

Prosconveniently on-campus for students

flexible time schedules

some opportunity for wage increase

generally non-demanding work...which may or may not be a "Pro," depending on how you look at it

ConsCan be boring

Undergrads paid about 30% less per hour than Graduate students, with no regard to ability or work ethic

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider a wider range of pay scale - would motivate student workers to be more productive and attentive to their duties.

Not sure.

Adjunct Faculty Member (Former Employee) Lawrenceville, NJ

ProsFor faculty, reasonably-sized classes make it easy to get to know the students and make sure that they are understanding and retaining the information that you are sharing with them. It is small university in terms of enrollment. I believe there are approximately 3,000 full-time students.

It is known for its strength in business, science, teaching and communication, to name some of the specialty areas. The student body is diverse with every race, nationality and religion represented so the discussion in the classroom environment is quite lively and stretches the thinking and background of all the students as well as the professors.

ConsNo real downside. I was a part-time faculty member so I did not have the benefits that full-time faculty receive.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is a great university although I am biased. In addition to teaching courses there, I am also a graduate of this college (my undergrad degree).

Worked for Rider University? Contribute to the Community!