RightScale

www.rightscale.com

RightScale Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Michael Crandell

Educational, Challenging, and Fun!

Account Manager (Current Employee) Santa Barbara, CA

ProsFun people, exploding space (Cloud), great companies to support and you are always learning, monday lunch!

ConsNot much to say here - been a great experience

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Amazing team of people. Pivot to enterprise is the right direction.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Barbara, CA

ProsYou feel like you are all on the same team at RightScale. There is plenty of stimulating work with it's set of challenges to keep it interesting. The customer base shift to enterprise creates larger overall opportunity for company which is great and requires transformation of many roles within the company - all good things if you like to leave your mark at the office. Plenty of opportunity to do that here. Great perks and great people - the kind that make you want to come into the office for daily.

ConsNot much to complain about - overall the company does well on benefits/perks and has a very fun work environment with lunchtime yoga, trainer, foodie group, kegerator, i-time, office Olympics, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay involved in SB tech community so we get first dibs on the great local talent.

Amazing people, awesome place to spend work life

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Barbara, CA

ProsRightScale is one of the best places I will ever work. It isn’t perfect, but nothing is. Some of the pros are the people, the culture, the management team, and the opportunity to contribute to the culture and success of the company. As I said, it isn’t perfect, but the management team are working on making it a better place, and they truly care about the company and their employees. The culture is for the people by the people, it is a relaxed work environment where you can have a beer with coworkers, breakfast with the CEO, watch the world cup or play ping pong when you need a mental break, or stay heads down on your work and then head to the beach with your family. There are opportunities to grow, but like anything, you just need to be proactive about earning and taking them. The work itself is rewarding as it is making a direct impact on the future of cloud computing and requires cutting edge development and constant shipping to production.

ConsRightScale has had some bumps over the past year as the company shifted its focus from selling to small and medium businesses to selling to large enterprises. The belt had to be tightened as the new selling pains were identified and the product was refocused for the enterprise. The transition was not smooth at times and could definitely have been handled better. What remains, however, is a dedicated, passionate, and strong team who are like family and have learned from past mistakes and are fired up to building an even better company together.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to the employees, be there for them, help them grow, and reward them for their hard work. The market is there, the team players are there, and with persistence and continued celebration of the smaller successes on the way to large victories, RightScale will be in an excellent position to not only reach new heights but to reward the people who will get them there.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A fun, challenging place to work

ProsAlthough the company has recently reorganized to reflect changes in the cloud space, it has made an increasing effort to maintain the company culture. From free lunch and snacks, fitness classes, a company kickball team, the ping pong table, as well as fun events such as potlucks, easter egg hunts, a new kegerator, and the return of the much-beloved Employee Meetup (by far the best week you'll spend with your coworkers both socially and professionally), there is often a fun way to bond with your fellow coworkers over more than just work.

I have found my work to be interesting, and constantly find myself learning new skills and completing projects that have stretched my abilities and allowed me to grow beyond what I expected in my role. I've consistently found everyone I've had to communicate with to be smart and helpful. Even after being with the company for several years, I'm still excited to come to work.

ConsThe company culture suffered a bit after rapid hiring as well as after the reorganization. Teams also became a bit smaller, which sometimes makes it more of a challenge to hit deadlines. However, the smaller teams also provide an opportunity to expand skill sets, and the sense of community is strengthening.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the company grows, make sure to hire talented people who fit in with the company culture and who are more likely to embrace what makes the company great. Don't hire so quickly that the veteran employees are stretched too thin. Continue to foster the company culture so that RightScale is a place where people are excited to continue to work and learn.

Disjointed and lack of visibility

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Barbara, CA

Pros-Great CEO. Genuinely good, brilliant guy.
    -Several geniuses walk the halls. People that can do their job and your job better than you. And a good amount of these people are also loyal and personable. The team of architects consists entirely of these mythical creatures. If they emancipated themselves and formed their own company, I would beg for a job in a heartbeat. The product managers and the team that creates our trademarked templates for servers are also smart and friendly. I had a genius on my team and it was disappointing to see the lack of appreciation from management. Aside from some exceptions, most are either not so hardworking, not so bright, not so friendly or a mix of the three.
    -The initial startup culture choked on the rapid growth. But management hired an executive assistant who single-handedly rebuilt the culture from scratch by organizing fun office events and making it a point to find creative ways to pull people together. The culture is a bright spot again.
    -Savvy acquisition of PlanForCloud
    -Great work/life balance.

Cons-Questionable hires from 150+. Unsociable people who don't have the talent to make up for lack of people skills. Or talented people with egos who've had 10 jobs in 10 years and surprisingly continued that pattern with RightScale.
    -Bad habits you don't typically see with a small company. Such as made up positions filled by figureheads who don't do anything. People can disappear, not respond to emails or do anything visible and still collect that paycheck because they're managed by managers who can disappear, not respond to emails or do anything visible and still collect that paycheck. The good news is these people don't advance, they're just happy to be along for the ride and stay afloat. Sad and disheartening for morale though.
    -Consistently amateur moves by management that make you question the validity of their MBAs.
    -Lack of RightScale's brilliant people (they do exist, see above) in positions of power that can actually make a true impact.
    -Amateur marketing and sales teams.

Advice to Senior Management-There's still great potential for this revolutionary product in a market where you're a clearcut leader. Hire people that are enthusiastic about that. Go for the engineers that graduated at the top of their class from UCSB, pay them competitive salaries and keep them happy. Stop hiring the grizzled veterans on bloated contracts who were all-stars once but are content to sit at the end of the bench and talk behind the coach's back. They either stay 9 months and jet or worse, they stay on and contribute nothing. Cut the dead weight (even after layoffs there is plenty) and go after game changers. Model after the Silicon Valley startup success stories and go after young, hungry talent. Or senior talent who actually apply their experience and mentor younger colleagues.
    -Outsource marketing and sales to India. You'll have the same results and save millions of dollars.

Nice people, crap architecture, runway almost gone...

Pros- Great people
    - For a while they supported 4 hrs a week to work on something you thought would be cool
    - They use Ruby
    - They use Github
    - Free lunches, drinks and snacks

Cons- Most customer feedback ignored
    - Some of the senior management is not so good
    - Terrible architecture - too late to fix this
    - Multiple APIs (AWS vs. the other clouds)
    - UI sucks
    - Extremely slow core infrastructure
    - Terrible tools for bug tracking and scrum - just awful
    - Ridiculous and onerous compliance process forced on the team to track work items
    - Inconsistent scrum methodologies across teams
    - Architects don't listen to good ideas from the troops
    - MVP (Minimum viable product) drives development instead of solid software design principles
    - Still have startup mentality even though they are going for enterprise customers

Advice to Senior ManagementNext time you start a software company, put someone in charge who understands how to architect large scalable systems well and not just hack your way to features. Sell the company while you still can. You are almost out of options. Share what you get in a fair way with the employees.

Monutains of tech debt, poor communication within the organization

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsHours were sane, most people were in around 9 and left around 5. For the most part, people were very friendly and sociable. Free food on mondays, free snacks.

ConsThis is not an engineering company. If they are still hiring, don't expect to join and be able to solve interesting problems -- there's 8 years worth of legacy code that is too late to fix.

The company grew way too quickly, and had zero focus on building culture. I'm pretty sure management had no idea what they were doing when they started expanding the company. Instead of hiring quality engineers, the company basically took who they could get and hired just okay engineers, and did absolutely nothing to screen for culture fit. Some really bad apples in management got through, and made the work environment extremely unpleasant to work in.

Many, many engineers were in denial about how terrible the situation was. Those that weren't were rarely listened to by anyone who could change things.

For the most part, Product will make decisions based off of what deals they can get signed with enterprises, instead of what makes sense in terms of product vision. Engineers are incredibly passive and will just implement whatever product tells them to, and I believe this is what lead to the company falling apart.

Engineers make very few decisions unless you are buddy buddy with the architects.

The company has never been profitable, and is running out of money. I'll be amazed if they can turn the situation around without getting lucky and finding someone to buy them out.

Two head guys in engineering management left over the past year, one of which was a founder. If RightScale is even still hiring, do yourself a favor and look elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe transparent about your numbers, people aren't stupid. It's too late now, but you should have focused on hiring high quality engineers and focused on developing a culture of transparency and teamwork.

Able to adapt to changing cloud marketplace, deep understanding of cloud market. Great customers, product and momentum

ProsTough, competitive, and fair environment.

ConsRemote workers don't get free lunches or food, generally.

It was OK but the wheels are falling off

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Santa Barbara, CA

ProsI really loved my coworkers in my particular group. Pretty relaxed and casual work environment. I think the CEO is a really good guy. Work/life balance was good. Free lunches, snacks, bagels.

ConsHad a manager forced out under what I consider shady circumstances (great manager). Key people have been slowly sliding out the back door. Big layoffs recently. Survival of the company is in serious question. I would be surprised if it was still around in 2015. I think the company is having a serious identity crisis. One of the founders is a genius but can't even look you in the eye and say "good morning." He's a great technology mind but I think he is holding the company back. Insists on public speaking and it is not his thing. Bottom line, the company is on life support. Also, small town if you are Santa Barbara based. Not a lot of jobs - so if you need to find another one, not a lot of choices locally.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is in big trouble and you should be more honest and upfront with people. You need to give people with families and mortgages a chance to get out and find a job before they show up and the company is shut down (and you knew it was coming and didn't tell them.)

To employees still there, especially those with big responsibilities, get out now, I talked to a banker who was in town to work on RS finances and he said they were "a mess." It's over. Get out.

RightScale was a leader, now feels more like an underdog

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Santa Barbara, CA

ProsGreat culture, smart people--an overall fun place to work

ConsUnderlying infrastructure is sluggish. RightScale has a lot of legacy software quirks to work out.

Worked for RightScale? Contribute to the Community!