RightScale

Updated November 12, 2014
Updated November 12, 2014
4.1

Michael Crandell

Smart people, challenging projects, cutting-edge technology = Great place to work!

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at RightScale full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Overall, RightScale is a great place to work at. The management team is experienced and makes good decisions, the employees are smart and nice people and you have the opportunity to learn and advance in your career. Compensation and benefits are comparable to other companies in Santa Barbara. RightScale has a good work-life balance.

Cons

Just as every company, RightScale also has challenges or areas for improvements. The cloud management market is a very dynamic and competitive market. The market has become very noisy. One of the challenges is to defend and further expand RightScale's leadership role in the market. And in an ever-changing market, there are good and bad times. And it can be challenging at times to keep pushing when things are tough. I do think that RightScale has a powerful offering in the market today and an exciting product roadmap. Keep pushing!

Continue to invest in your employees, despite being budget conscious. It is important for your employees to meet and talk to other people in the space, see all the amazing work that is happening first hand and get excited about it. Do not mix those investments with budgets for sales and lead goals.

Edge of tomorrow

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at RightScale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

RightScale is the de facto leader in the field of cloud computing management. All the major cloud providers acknowledge this, and partner with RightScale for this reason. Lots of hard infrastructure problems to tackle. Work hard, play hard atmosphere with many fun and/or brilliant colleagues.

Having RightScale on your resume will lead to plenty of LinkedIn recruiter emails down the line, and rightfully so. You will have the opportunity to learn what works, and what doesn’t, in cloud computing.

RightScale still has the possibility to strike gold. I exercised all of my stock options for a reason. If you like challenges, RightScale will not disappoint.

Cons

Frenemies with Amazon Web Services; like playing with fire.

Lots of smaller competitors have already been gobbled up, unsure what the exit strategy is now.

Somewhat revolving door in the management layer. Lacking a strong leader in engineering.

Time wasted in engineering on suboptimal tools and compliance.

Narrow the focus. Do not try to compete with AWS on features.

Seek advice on culture from employees.

Keep transparent communication with employees.

Docker is the new cloud darling, and where the VC money is flowing these days. Hence, focus on containerization.

Amazing Company = Great People and fantastic software

Current Employee - Business Development in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Business Development in Seattle, WA

I have been working at RightScale full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

RightScale is the #1 Cloud Management Software and continues to impress me based on their ability to pivot based on changes in the market and customer needs. Great culture, fun place to work.

Cons

Compensation and benefits are below.

Step up and hire an enterprise sales organization.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at RightScale full-time

Pros

There are very knowledgeable people in the company from whom you can learn a lot! I enjoyed working at RightScale, especially the flexibility, the technical challenging projects and the open culture.
    I improved my programing skills, learned a lot about Cloud computing and distributed systems and what it means to run a large scale infrastructure.

Cons

RightScale is a fast growing company and some organizational stuff does not work always well.

Has its downsides and has hit some rough patches, but is a wonderful place to work, especially because of the people.

Current Employee - Engineering
    Current Employee - Engineering

I have been working at RightScale full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Outstanding people. Great culture. Potential for growth if you're willing to work for it. Fast-paced, exciting, cutting-edge software and industry. Continuously learning. Challenging. Good work/life balance. Started with and continues to foster and strongly support a 'cloudie' community of telecommuting.

Cons

Benefits are just ok (only real complaint is the lack of 401k matching). Grew too fast and hired/outsourced people that were nice enough and talented, but not really up-to-par.

The communication has gotten much better. Please continue the quarterly, or even monthly AHM updates. More information about where you see us within our industry as a whole (customers, competition, etc) would be appreciated in those meetings. Growth is very hard, especially in Santa Barbara, but having a higher standard for new employees, and letting go of the very few that are just skating by would be appreciated.

Educational, Challenging, and Fun!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at RightScale full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun people, exploding space (Cloud), great companies to support and you are always learning, monday lunch!

Cons

Not much to say here - been a great experience

Keep up the good work!

Amazing team of people. Pivot to enterprise is the right direction.

I have been working at RightScale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You feel like you are all on the same team at RightScale. There is plenty of stimulating work with it's set of challenges to keep it interesting. The customer base shift to enterprise creates larger overall opportunity for company which is great and requires transformation of many roles within the company - all good things if you like to leave your mark at the office. Plenty of opportunity to do that here. Great perks and great people - the kind that make you want to come into the office for daily.

Cons

Not much to complain about - overall the company does well on benefits/perks and has a very fun work environment with lunchtime yoga, trainer, foodie group, kegerator, i-time, office Olympics, etc.

Stay involved in SB tech community so we get first dibs on the great local talent.

Amazing people, awesome place to spend work life

I have been working at RightScale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

RightScale is one of the best places I will ever work. It isn’t perfect, but nothing is. Some of the pros are the people, the culture, the management team, and the opportunity to contribute to the culture and success of the company. As I said, it isn’t perfect, but the management team are working on making it a better place, and they truly care about the company and their employees. The culture is for the people by the people, it is a relaxed work environment where you can have a beer with coworkers, breakfast with the CEO, watch the world cup or play ping pong when you need a mental break, or stay heads down on your work and then head to the beach with your family. There are opportunities to grow, but like anything, you just need to be proactive about earning and taking them. The work itself is rewarding as it is making a direct impact on the future of cloud computing and requires cutting edge development and constant shipping to production.

Cons

RightScale has had some bumps over the past year as the company shifted its focus from selling to small and medium businesses to selling to large enterprises. The belt had to be tightened as the new selling pains were identified and the product was refocused for the enterprise. The transition was not smooth at times and could definitely have been handled better. What remains, however, is a dedicated, passionate, and strong team who are like family and have learned from past mistakes and are fired up to building an even better company together.

Continue to listen to the employees, be there for them, help them grow, and reward them for their hard work. The market is there, the team players are there, and with persistence and continued celebration of the smaller successes on the way to large victories, RightScale will be in an excellent position to not only reach new heights but to reward the people who will get them there.

A fun, challenging place to work

I have been working at RightScale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Although the company has recently reorganized to reflect changes in the cloud space, it has made an increasing effort to maintain the company culture. From free lunch and snacks, fitness classes, a company kickball team, the ping pong table, as well as fun events such as potlucks, easter egg hunts, a new kegerator, and the return of the much-beloved Employee Meetup (by far the best week you'll spend with your coworkers both socially and professionally), there is often a fun way to bond with your fellow coworkers over more than just work.

I have found my work to be interesting, and constantly find myself learning new skills and completing projects that have stretched my abilities and allowed me to grow beyond what I expected in my role. I've consistently found everyone I've had to communicate with to be smart and helpful. Even after being with the company for several years, I'm still excited to come to work.

Cons

The company culture suffered a bit after rapid hiring as well as after the reorganization. Teams also became a bit smaller, which sometimes makes it more of a challenge to hit deadlines. However, the smaller teams also provide an opportunity to expand skill sets, and the sense of community is strengthening.

As the company grows, make sure to hire talented people who fit in with the company culture and who are more likely to embrace what makes the company great. Don't hire so quickly that the veteran employees are stretched too thin. Continue to foster the company culture so that RightScale is a place where people are excited to continue to work and learn.

Disjointed and lack of visibility

I have been working at RightScale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Great CEO. Genuinely good, brilliant guy.
    -Several geniuses walk the halls. People that can do their job and your job better than you. And a good amount of these people are also loyal and personable. The team of architects consists entirely of these mythical creatures. If they emancipated themselves and formed their own company, I would beg for a job in a heartbeat. The product managers and the team that creates our trademarked templates for servers are also smart and friendly. I had a genius on my team and it was disappointing to see the lack of appreciation from management. Aside from some exceptions, most are either not so hardworking, not so bright, not so friendly or a mix of the three.
    -The initial startup culture choked on the rapid growth. But management hired an executive assistant who single-handedly rebuilt the culture from scratch by organizing fun office events and making it a point to find creative ways to pull people together. The culture is a bright spot again.
    -Savvy acquisition of PlanForCloud
    -Great work/life balance.

Cons

-Questionable hires from 150+. Unsociable people who don't have the talent to make up for lack of people skills. Or talented people with egos who've had 10 jobs in 10 years and surprisingly continued that pattern with RightScale.
    -Bad habits you don't typically see with a small company. Such as made up positions filled by figureheads who don't do anything. People can disappear, not respond to emails or do anything visible and still collect that paycheck because they're managed by managers who can disappear, not respond to emails or do anything visible and still collect that paycheck. The good news is these people don't advance, they're just happy to be along for the ride and stay afloat. Sad and disheartening for morale though.
    -Consistently amateur moves by management that make you question the validity of their MBAs.
    -Lack of RightScale's brilliant people (they do exist, see above) in positions of power that can actually make a true impact.
    -Amateur marketing and sales teams.

-There's still great potential for this revolutionary product in a market where you're a clearcut leader. Hire people that are enthusiastic about that. Go for the engineers that graduated at the top of their class from UCSB, pay them competitive salaries and keep them happy. Stop hiring the grizzled veterans on bloated contracts who were all-stars once but are content to sit at the end of the bench and talk behind the coach's back. They either stay 9 months and jet or worse, they stay on and contribute nothing. Cut the dead weight (even after layoffs there is plenty) and go after game changers. Model after the Silicon Valley startup success stories and go after young, hungry talent. Or senior talent who actually apply their experience and mentor younger colleagues.
    -Outsource marketing and sales to India. You'll have the same results and save millions of dollars.

RightScale Photos