Rightpoint Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014
4.1

Ross Freedman and Brad Schneider

Rightpoint is an amazing digital agency, driven by the best people, based in real values.

Current Employee - Agency in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Agency in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rightpoint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Rightpoint has an entrepreneurial atmosphere where you are able to be part of the solution, growth and ultimate success. There are not many places that give you that opportunity. It really is a collaborative and active environment full of raw opportunity to help define the path. There is enough structure and plenty of processes in place to be very successful, but it has enough flexibility to carve out ways to improve. And ample support to find the way to get there.

Many people find a new career path while at Rightpoint and find that the company will help lead the way in order to enable you to achieve your goals. Some have moved into completely new roles as their passions changed, others have even breathed new life into their careers and the company by exploring opportunities in new markets and geographies. Not only have they been met with unwavering encouragement and instruction but also the latitude to find success through trial and error, helping people to learn from mistakes rather than be punished for them.

The founders are not shy in giving credit to the people that work at Rightpoint for the success of the company. They know they have the best and they reward them for their dedication. They are super-engaged in the development of the people and the culture. They are incredibly loyal and it rolls all the way through the ranks. Less than 2% of people that apply for jobs at Rightpoint end up working there and I think that says more than anything about the success being directly related to the people. The very best work here.

Culture is the true life blood of the organization. Sure, you work hard but the overarching theme is that you are cared for, nurtured, respected, and empowered. The culture is more than listing the values on a website or on the back of business cards, they guide every decision we make as individuals and as an organization. The people that work at Rightpoint are as passionate as any I have *ever* worked with and their talents are no less than inspiring. Cultivating a positive atmosphere is supported throughout the company in many ways including driving good culture, learning and growing, company-sponsored charitable activities and even a lot of fun events, food and beverages. They know that you cannot buy culture, that it has to be nurtured, fed and looked after.

Transparency and community are huge at Rightpoint. Sharing the strategy, financials and future plans of the organization have always been impressive. The investments they make in ensuring everyone has all the info is unlike any company I have ever been a part of. Also, there are plenty of real opportunities to share your thoughts with the executive-level management in order to try to make things better. Coffee meetings, lunches, regularly-scheduled polls asking for ways to improve and quarterly all-company meetings to share progress, goals, vision and successes help keep everyone connected. And the delivery of all these touch-points are low-pressure and extremely comfortable.

My experience at Rightpoint has been a solid journey of learning, struggle, success and more learning. My career was completely reinvigorated as soon as I joined and continues to be to this day, and from what I believe, it always will. The support of management and the people I work with every day is nothing less than professional, accommodating and incredibly supportive. I know that just about anything I want to accomplish in my career will be met with the same encouraging, business-and-career-focused convictions.

Cons

Maybe not a con so much as a point that's probably worth mentioning here. While this is a great place to work for those that want to be a part of building something, it is not always right for those that want to just "show up" and do the bare minimum. The passion is what drives the people that are there, not merely to punch a clock.

Keep doing what you're doing. The culture, transparency and aggressive growth are great. Keep strengthening the core by investing in and supporting the people. Make sure everyone knows how empowered they truly are and build fully consistent processes. Keep hiring the best and brightest.

Independent Contractor Treated Like One Of The Team

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rightpoint as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

-Collaborative Environment
    As the company has grown the collaborative environment has grown with it. Team members are very supportive of one another, have each other’s interests in mind and are focused on client success. No matter where someone “sits” in the organization, people will roll up their sleeves to help.
    -Direction
    Leadership has a clear vision for the growth of the Company. While it is not a straight line from where they are now to where they are going, the company remains committed and believes in the direction.

Cons

-Feedback Loop
    When feedback is provided, it is always acknowledged and action is taken when appropriate. Feedback, good or bad, is always heard and appreciated. Keep on looking for ways to reach out to your team members. It is working.

With any growing company there is going to be “noise.” Continue to listen to the noise, however, do not let it distract the company. There are going to be certain people in any organization that you cannot make happy. Keep on doing the best job you can to accommodate these folks but acknowledge that some of the onneues is on them as well. Your empasis on the environement of Rightpoint is unprecedented.

So exciting building a company that you don't realize that you're being cooked 'til you're done

Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rightpoint full-time

Pros

Beer kegs in the kitchen and the relentless "rah-rah" makes you feel like the whole company was your own idea, that you got this "start up" thing right, and that you're all on the cusp of the next revolution in IT.

Cons

You're not on the cusp of the next revolution in IT. You're in another website design, "we can do anything" firm that wants to be cookie cutter. Managers rarely have any domain expertise in the technologies, and most come from big four and have a micro-management bent common among big four.

The company does not know how to say no, and is chronically chasing customers that they shouldn't. Managers sometimes have in excess of 10 projects at a time, and then are blamed when things go wrong because they are stretched too thin. Developers are often well over 100% utilized, no bench, and an emerging culture of political intrigue, also common among big four companies.

stop the "foot in the door" projects, and pay attention when every firm around has worked with an organization and all have been unsuccessful. It may be that there's a reason no one is successful with those organizations

A+ Team, A+ Environment

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rightpoint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been in the professional services space for just under 10 years. I recognized a while ago that every organization has its flaws. From the outside (especially anonymously) it is easy to poke holes in any company. After all, that is what forums like this site are for. We all recognize that no place is perfect, but this company’s efforts to make Rightpoint a great place to work are impressive.

While I was at Rightpoint, I was always encouraged to share ideas and provide feedback. I especially appreciated the accessibility of leadership and the multiple channels to surface my thoughts. The company has grown significantly over the past few years. From my perspective this provides an opportunity to grow professionally and technically within a challenging environment. This is an important point because this is definitely not a place for someone to come along for the ride, the expectations are high.

Not everyone got along at Rightpoint, but have you ever been at a place where everyone sings Kumbaya, let alone in harmony? Rightpoint has assembled a team of passionate people who are good at what they do and want to do even better. As a result there are times where tensions and disagreements surface but that is part of the process of getting better.

I appreciated the opportunities to come together with people with a diverse set of skills. Both the agency and consulting sides of the business work together to provide great services to the market.

Cons

The environment is fast paced. Leadership believes in measured growth. The company is focused on scaling to keep up with the exciting pace however it is to be expected that the road can be bumpy at times.

Keep listening to employees. Continue your emphasis on culture in a growth environment. Keep your focus on hiring great people.

High ideals

I have been working at Rightpoint as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The people who work for Rightpoint are all really smart, driven, experienced and generally good humored, respectful and cool. There are no divas or challenging personalities from what I've seen. That is a refreshing change from most agencies in Chicago. The breadth of work is good, too. And everyone is willing to help.

Cons

The problems that I have witnessed come from what seems to be fast growth. Contractors are not always paid on time. Expenses are not reimbursed in a timely fashion. Permanent employees are often asked to work overtime with little notice. Day trips to far flung locations are not uncommon. Projects are undertaken in a factory style, with team members asked to estimate hours ahead of having site access. Hours are a priority and project managers routinely reject timesheets for small reasons. Understandably, the owners of the company want to cut costs but is not paying people for time spent on work the right way to achieve that? Yes, there is beer and people get along, but the hours game is a frustrating one, especially because the hours on the SOW don't always match reality. Project management could stand some improvement.

Consider whether the SOW should be the concern of every project team member or just left to the PMs and business side. Don't permit the non-payment of hours. Universalize the project management style because each one conducts business differently. Allow people to do their best work. When using contractors, pay them in a timely fashion.

Unprecedented focus on culture, driven by hiring only the best people who are obsessed with technology and their clients

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rightpoint full-time

Pros

My experience with Rightpoint has been an amazing ride, mostly because it's unlike any place I have worked before. It transcends the "Office Space" stereotype in lieu of more of a Google-esque work environment that promotes passion, collaboration, fun and a *real* work/life balance (not the corporate smoke & mirrors version). I am a consultant by experience and developer by passion/hobby, and have found that Rightpoint is a great place to exercise both in tandem. They provide the opportunity for me to make projects my own, and to help make innovative decisions and find solutions by valuing my feedback openly.

Anyway, here are a few of my favorite parts of working at Rightpoint:

Culture and happiness isn't just talk -
    Rightpoint operates under what I've found to be the best consulting paradigm: drive client satisfaction by making one's own people happy first. Most consulting companies tend to overbook their resources and underspend on employee conveniences/perks to turn high margins, which (I think) is a very myopic way of doing business. Your employees are the most important resources you have, so why not treat them like it? Turnover is extremely expensive, and people that are passionate about that work tend to over-deliver; you end up winning on both ends.

To uphold these ideas, Rightpoint has put together a long list of perks and programs that include:
        - Culture Club: a club whose sole purpose is to monitor the direction of company culture, and to make suggestions to improve & maintain whenever possible
        - Compassion Crew: an open employee club that focuses on giving back to the community
        - Brain Food Fridays: an opportunity for employees to present any topic of their choosing (usually a new technology or software design pattern) to anyone in the company who wants to attend
        - RightPints: Rightpoint has two kegs and a winerator build right into the kitchen, and sponsors company-wide events every so often to bring together employees after hours in a casual setting
        - Catered lunches: Rightpoint caters lunches every few Fridays, with the goal of increasing employee fraternization within our open kitchen space

The most important thing to note is that the co-founders - Ross and Brad - go above and beyond to show how deeply they value their employees on a daily basis. These principles are driven straight down from the top, and are no accident.

Come for the work, stay for the company -
    There's an old saying not to love your job because your job will never love you back, which is supposed to ensure that you don't over-invest emotionally in a company that ultimately won't make decisions in your best interest. I know this to be true - I've been through it before. You train and gain on-the-job experience on a project or with a client, become a subject matter expert, and sooner or later you or the job/company grow apart. You don't like each other any more, but the company assures you that you're a great fit and that you're truly needed (remember, turnover/knowledge transfer is expensive).

This doesn't work in the long run, and Rightpoint knows it. The amount of input I have into what I get to do in my daily work is amazing. Often, I get to have some semblance of choice in what role I play on a project, or even what work items I get to develop. I have even been in a situation where I asked for a change of pace, and very soon thereafter I was reassigned to work that more fit my personality and work expectations. My experience has given me confidence that Rightpoint is actually looking out for by best interests, and that they will continue to into the future.

They really do hire only the best -
    One of the most important hiring factors to Rightpoint is what they call "intrapreneurship," which is essentially one's tendency to turn their work into a hobby, innovate freely and over-deliver. These are the type of people who obsess so much over technology, work culture and clients that they write books & blogs, teach workshops and participate actively in open source communities. The company is far from corporate - with a very flat hierarchy (if you can even call it that) - but still feels very well run. This tends to attract the best and brightest minds from what I would consider a very highly qualified talent pool of Chicago.

One of my goals when leaving my previous company was to learn a ton, since I had stagnated there. Rightpoint has over-delivered in this aspect, as their architects and developers stay quite current with the bleeding-edge technology. I find myself working with the latest technologies, platforms and languages on a regular basis, which is strongly encouraged from those who run our application development team.

I can say that I am an active promoter of Rightpoint and the way they do business. If you asked around town, you would find that our name is always at the top of the list for companies that need work done right the first time. Do yourself a favor and give us a shot!

Cons

There are none worth noting here

Keep on doing what you're doing. You have an avid following; let us help you continue to grow well past our own goals and expectations!

This company is one in a million!

Current Employee - Human Resources/Finance in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Human Resources/Finance in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rightpoint full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with Rightpoint for 6 years now and I cannot image working anywhere else. Every day I feel blessed to get to work at such an amazing company. The best part? The people. They are super intelligent and passionate about Rightpoint...it's infectious!

Since I started with the company I feel like my business knowledge has increased tremendously due to leadership being open to giving me a chance to prove myself by providing me with additional responsibilities. This makes me feel like my growth at Rightpoint is limitless, as long as I am willing to work hard to achieve my goals. One of the things that I love is that I have control over my performance contract, as I get to set my goals each year around what interests me and what direction I want to go in my career. It's awesome to feel that Rightpoint is 100% committed to help me reach my career and personal goals. What else can I ask for?

Our company culture is also something that deserves to be mentioned because we always strive as a company to keep a "small office" culture as we grow so quickly. Leadership definitely takes great efforts to make sure that our wonderful culture stays wonderful! I love it that they care so much!

What can I say about leadership? That they are nothing short of amazing and it gives me a sense of comfort to know that such competent folks are at the wheel.

Cons

Personally, I'd like to see a greater effort in the "being environmentally friendly" area. I'm a hippie, I guess, but it drives me nuts when I see recycle-ables in garbage cans! We have recycling cans ALL over the office, let's encourage peeps to use them!

Keep up the good work, ya'lls!

Amazing Company. Amazing Culture. Amazing People. Interesting Work. What more could you want?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rightpoint full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Rightpoint is a great place to work, and is one of the few places that I have worked that has a set a values that actually mean something. The founders and leadership team care about enabling everyone here to do something that they are passionate about, and put a lot of thought into the feedback we give in our quarterly surveys to ensure that action is being taken to make the company even better. When we gave feedback that we wanted a ping-pong table at the new office, not just the pool table, within months we had one. When there was feedback that we wanted healthier food in our weekly snack/food Peapod order, fruit became a standard part of the order within weeks. Little things I realize, but those little things go a long way. The company is very transparent which is super refreshing.

The culture here is one where everyone takes pride in what we do and the community that has been built here. Work-life balance is fantastic and I have a manager who trusts me and gives me the support that I need to be successful. I am consistently amazed by the people that I work with and what the team is able to accomplish for our clients. I'm proud to work here and look forward to coming in to work, which isn't something that happens as much as it should anymore. We also do a lot of fun events like Brain Food Fridays/Friday Lunches, "Rightpint" Happy Hours, Chili Cookoffs, community service events, 5K races, which I would say are all kind of "icing on the cake" of just being around great people every day. Are we perfect? Of course not - but I see constant evolution and improvements every day and see the company putting ongoing effort into keeping Rightpoint a special place to work.

Cons

I think as we grow it's becoming harder and harder to keep that small company feel, which of course is natural but something I know we need to pay attention to. I've seen some improvements with new programs to help with this which is encouraging.

Fair amount of trust, but disorganized and overwhelming.

I have been working at Rightpoint full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People take their jobs seriously and take pride in what they do. Many people tend to like the culture there and Rightpoint prides themselves on this.

Cons

No room or opportunities to advance, fairly segmented and not as collaborative as it should be, disorganized with not much hope of changing.

Senior management is great, but middle management is not as experienced as they should be. Change is a good thing! Take note of what people are suggesting and implement it—don't be scared of rocking the boat a bit.

Rightpoint has a special culture and is the first company where values match everyday action.

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rightpoint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great, smart people working there. Good pay, decent growth opportunity, overall the best company I have worked for. I only left because my wife got a job in another city and Rightpoint doesn't have an office there.

Cons

The pace is very fast and there could be more structure in certain area. The pace got somewhat exhausting at times, but ultimately my experience was very rewarding.

Keep focusing on your culture. When I left, there was nearly 100 people. I have seen too many companies change (for the worse) when the company gets bigger.