Rim Hospitality

Mark F. Burden

I love it

Current Employee - Lead Night Auditor in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Night Auditor in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Rim Hospitality full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At my hotel, we have awesome management. Everybody at this level is treated like family. We all seem to be appreciated. I think the benefits are great. Everyone here works hard and is respected by management. Management encourages and mentors you to go the next available level. Management works very hard and is always available 24/7 for help.

Cons

Management is very "CYA", but that is understandable. I think the rate of pay could be a little more. Benefits are a little expensive if you have dependents of any type.

Like I said, at least local management is awesome. I don't know about other properties, but I love it here.

Great Company

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Rim Hospitality full-time

Pros

I really enjoyed working for Rim. I enjoyed the training and the ability to be me. I was allowed to operate the hotel under the given guidelines. If I felt like there was an opportunity to do something unique then Rim would give me the green light. The entire experience was wonderful and it was easy to pass that forward to our guests. This company was able to give me the work/life balance I needed. The core values meshed with my style of leadership as a GM. The opportunities are always available.

Cons

The only downside was the HR department. They were not the friendliest of people. Everyone else was amazing in every other department.

Find an HR manager that is not condescending and is willing to get the facts from every aspect.

Good opportunity to move up within company

I worked at Rim Hospitality

Pros

Good benefits, opportunity to move up in company.

Cons

They have a way of overlooking problems that cost money to fix. The goals are very difficult to make

Take better care of your employees and don't ignore problems just because they cost money

Great environment, but due to growth can be chaotic at times.

I have been working at Rim Hospitality

Pros

Company is growing and located in multiple states. People are friendly and willing to help when time permits.

Cons

Not a clear chain of command. Receive varying instructions depending on who talk to. Slow at responding to emails and not always prompt at returning phone calls.

Employer review

I have been working at Rim Hospitality

Pros

You'll get to use the latest Blackberries for free. It's relatively easier to internal transfers if you want to move on to different jobs later.

Cons

It becomes bureaucratic when the company grows bigger.

It's safe to produce products already a market success, but innovation is also important.

Okay could have been better

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA

I worked at Rim Hospitality full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits were good compared to some other places, rimserve was a great program and way to get to know other properties within the company. Easy going pace at hotel level. Other hotels expect 50-60 hours a week from managers, Rim gm's seemed to work 35-40 hours a week.

Cons

Upper management (corporate) ...it's who you know not what you know, listens to property level managers who only get ahead by kissing up to them. Area managers should do surprise visits to see what really goes on- how much time is wasted on the clock. HR was very difficult to work with. The motto was once hired never fired.

Try listening to employees and not just property general managers, they are only trying to make themselves look better at any cost. It once was a great company to work for but over the past few years it's been going downhill.

Seem great, but show true colors quickly

I worked at Rim Hospitality full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Just stay hourly, once you move up into the company it is just terrible.

Cons

No respect of life outside of work, plays favorites, no time focusing on what is the root cause of the problem just yell and blame others, ZERO communication. Very old-school style management. Upper management are "bros". Lots of whispering behind other peoples backs. No team effort in making the hotels a better place, just focused on making others look bad to make themselves look better.

Listen to your staff. Actually investigate the issues that are occurring.

Working for Rim Hospitality was the worst experience of my 25 year career in the hotel business.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Rim Hospitality full-time

Pros

None. If your property is going to be managed by Rim it's a great time to investigate other opportunities.

Cons

The upper management team demonstrates an air of grandiose expertise in the hospitality business, nothing could be further from the truth. HR is rude and disinterested. Regional folks arrive at your property barking orders without ever developing even the most basic understanding of your property location or customer base.

Treat your employees respectfully and get over your big egos.

Very In Experienced Company to Work For

Former Employee - Catering Sales Manager in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Catering Sales Manager in Culver City, CA

I worked at Rim Hospitality full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are no Pros for this company.

Cons

They hire you based on your experience, but when you excel beyond your bosses, they make up false reports so that they can knock you down a peg. They bring in a lot of upper Directors and Managers that they are friends with, but don't have the experience to lead. So their sales people tend to outshine them. They allow Directors to do little to no work to save face from hiring them in the first place. Most of the upper management are not sales people and therefore don't have what it takes to lead a sales team of people who have been doing it for years.

Grow some. Promote people who EARN promotions, not who sit back and keep their mouths shut.

Don't do it, stay away! Rotten atmosphere, treated like cattle heading for slaughter!

Former Employee - Manager in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Modesto, CA

I worked at Rim Hospitality full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Close to home! For a hotel developer, this is a company that looks good on paper. They are CHEAP, and promise the world (unrealistic). For an example, budget a 20-25% revenue growth every year! The company is growing. They are taking on a lot of distressed properties, (that others don't want). Scraping the barrel if you will.

Cons

Too close to home
    Poor benefits
    Salaries low compared to market
    Overall a "cover your own ass" atmosphere. Cut throat, hostile, and sour.
    Senior management are disrespectful
    Crazy turnover! Whenever we would call the corporate office, there was always someone new answering the phone. Same with property managers. Senior leaders didn't care. If they burnt a manager, "there's someone else wanting to do that job".
    My list is a mile long!

Shop your competition. If you want to be the "leader" you think you are, offer salaries, benefits, and perks that are the best in the business. Not cut to the bone, bare minimum. Treat your employees with respect. Open hatred towards RIM among the on property leaders, (department heads, supervisors, sales, ops, and general management). At management outings, and meetings - there's a sense of fear. Not a positive environment.