Rim Hospitality

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mark F. Burden

I love it

Lead Night Auditor (Current Employee)
    Roseville, CA

ProsAt my hotel, we have awesome management. Everybody at this level is treated like family. We all seem to be appreciated. I think the benefits are great. Everyone here works hard and is respected by management. Management encourages and mentors you to go the next available level. Management works very hard and is always available 24/7 for help.

ConsManagement is very "CYA", but that is understandable. I think the rate of pay could be a little more. Benefits are a little expensive if you have dependents of any type.

Advice to Senior ManagementLike I said, at least local management is awesome. I don't know about other properties, but I love it here.

Working for Rim Hospitality was the worst experience of my 25 year career in the hotel business.

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsNone. If your property is going to be managed by Rim it's a great time to investigate other opportunities.

ConsThe upper management team demonstrates an air of grandiose expertise in the hospitality business, nothing could be further from the truth. HR is rude and disinterested. Regional folks arrive at your property barking orders without ever developing even the most basic understanding of your property location or customer base.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees respectfully and get over your big egos.

Very In Experienced Company to Work For

Catering Sales Manager (Former Employee)
    Culver City, CA

ProsThere are no Pros for this company.

ConsThey hire you based on your experience, but when you excel beyond your bosses, they make up false reports so that they can knock you down a peg. They bring in a lot of upper Directors and Managers that they are friends with, but don't have the experience to lead. So their sales people tend to outshine them. They allow Directors to do little to no work to save face from hiring them in the first place. Most of the upper management are not sales people and therefore don't have what it takes to lead a sales team of people who have been doing it for years.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow some. Promote people who EARN promotions, not who sit back and keep their mouths shut.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company

General Manager (Former Employee)

ProsI really enjoyed working for Rim. I enjoyed the training and the ability to be me. I was allowed to operate the hotel under the given guidelines. If I felt like there was an opportunity to do something unique then Rim would give me the green light. The entire experience was wonderful and it was easy to pass that forward to our guests. This company was able to give me the work/life balance I needed. The core values meshed with my style of leadership as a GM. The opportunities are always available.

ConsThe only downside was the HR department. They were not the friendliest of people. Everyone else was amazing in every other department.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind an HR manager that is not condescending and is willing to get the facts from every aspect.

Don't do it, stay away! Rotten atmosphere, treated like cattle heading for slaughter!

Manager (Former Employee)
    Modesto, CA

ProsClose to home! For a hotel developer, this is a company that looks good on paper. They are CHEAP, and promise the world (unrealistic). For an example, budget a 20-25% revenue growth every year! The company is growing. They are taking on a lot of distressed properties, (that others don't want). Scraping the barrel if you will.

ConsToo close to home
    Poor benefits
    Salaries low compared to market
    Overall a "cover your own ass" atmosphere. Cut throat, hostile, and sour.
    Senior management are disrespectful
    Crazy turnover! Whenever we would call the corporate office, there was always someone new answering the phone. Same with property managers. Senior leaders didn't care. If they burnt a manager, "there's someone else wanting to do that job".
    My list is a mile long!

Advice to Senior ManagementShop your competition. If you want to be the "leader" you think you are, offer salaries, benefits, and perks that are the best in the business. Not cut to the bone, bare minimum. Treat your employees with respect. Open hatred towards RIM among the on property leaders, (department heads, supervisors, sales, ops, and general management). At management outings, and meetings - there's a sense of fear. Not a positive environment.

Soul-killing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Fresno, CA

ProsLarge network of hotels - you may be able to transfer if you need to relocate.

ConsUnderpaid, under-appreciated, stressed-out employees, low morale, sometimes open hate in the workforce. Because of the very openly conducted favoritism/nepotism, you never know if somebody is going to become an "enemy" right off from hiring. Forget raises, they won't happen. Forget weekends, you won't have those. Be sure to keep some family photos on your phone, because they don't care about them when calling you in at any given time. Absolute disrespect for employees include overall bad treatment, clinical conflict avoidance (our GM would rather hide in her locked office for a day than talk to someone she didn't feel like talking to), and not a single care as to whether or not a call-in shift is within your availability.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees, and they will respect you back. Disrespecting us, then demanding more work, more respect, and just about our firstborn is not going to lead to us respecting you. Oh, and don't base your management decision on the most obscure, tiny ads in the back of Forbes to "stay ahead of the curve." It doesn't work that way.

Lack of Respect Leads to Unhappiness in the Workplace

ProsLarge network of hotels, fairly relaxed working atmosphere, growing company. If you are looking for a fairly relaxed job atmosphere, that is one thing this company has going for it.

ConsUnderpaying, benefits are not good, lack of respect for employees, questionable management decisions, apparent favoritism/nepotism, opportunistic. There is a general feeling of a lack of respect, which leads to very low morale. The company has a nasty habit of asking more work but providing no compensation or incentives, even rejecting when asked. Most employees feel under-payed, under-appreciated, and unhappy.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider treating your employees like they matter, not pawns. Consider rewarding good work accordingly, especially when asking for more work. Too often I've seen employees get asked to take on more work "for the good of the company" without compensation. Many in your workforce are disgruntles, and this leads to unproductivity. Don't step on a dollar to pick up a dime; treat employees fairly and with respect, and reap the benefits.

Great environment, but due to growth can be chaotic at times.

ProsCompany is growing and located in multiple states. People are friendly and willing to help when time permits.

ConsNot a clear chain of command. Receive varying instructions depending on who talk to. Slow at responding to emails and not always prompt at returning phone calls.

unorganized and unfair treatment of employees of opposite sex

ProsNone unless you are male and part of the boys club

Consterrible salary, benefits, work environment and meals are not provided

Employer review

ProsYou'll get to use the latest Blackberries for free. It's relatively easier to internal transfers if you want to move on to different jobs later.

ConsIt becomes bureaucratic when the company grows bigger.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's safe to produce products already a market success, but innovation is also important.

Worked for Rim Hospitality? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rim Hospitality reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rim Hospitality CEO Mark F. Burden. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Rim Hospitality employees.