Rimm Kaufman Group Reviews

3.8
Rimm Kaufman Group CEO George Gallate
George Gallate

1. A company in transition

I have been working at Rimm Kaufman Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work! The people are a smart, fun and dynamic bunch, and the Merkle acquisition has brought opportunities to work with large clients and national brands. Work environment is very relaxed and social, and you can definitely get exposure to the cutting edge of best practices in digital marketing. Professionally, there are a lot of resources directed at career enrichment and enhancing skills through certification.

Cons

This is definitely a transitional moment: pay is relatively low and the acquisition has sparked a brain drain, since the benefits are now less good and workloads have ramped up. A lot of experienced RKG employees are leaving for better pay at bigger companies. Also, there seem to be fewer opportunities for mid-career advancement.

Advice to Management

There was a lot of effort put into ensuring a smooth transition so that we didn't feel a major sense of loss during the acquisition, but I don't think there is any major feeling of benefit yet.

Smart People & Cutting Edge Work

I have been working at Rimm Kaufman Group full-time

Pros

- great feedback and open communication with managers - exciting, ever-changing work landscape where you are constantly learning and stretching your knowledge - free parking and excellent location on the downtown mall - company pays for occasional beer socials, employee sports leagues, and snacks

Cons

- company growth at times seems fast and chaotic - growth paths are not very clear currently, but getting there slowly after the Merkle acquisition

Advice to Management

Make sure you let your leadership core have space to work on protecting the great employees and culture you created from the early days of RKG

Top digital agency. Management has major decisions to make if they want to keep it that way.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Rimm Kaufman Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-RKG is one of the best digital agencies in the nation, performance and technology-wise, so you're learning from the pros. For the clients, they get their money's worth. RKG's algorithms and tech are unmatched in the industry. New clients see a huge surge in performance under RKG management, even when coming from other big agencies. -Tons of free food and drinks, free intramural league teams. -Work with awesome clients. It's great to get experience working for billion dollar household brands, and entry level employees are given tons of responsibilities to transform accounts. -The RKG management is ethical on the client side, I've never felt pressured to do anything that would be detrimental to a client. -Fancy modern office in a nice location in downtown Cville. -Coworkers are smart, hardworking people. RKG recruits from top universities (tons of UVA grads due to the proximity) and has an excellent training program for new hires. -Ultimately, it's a good place to start and get experience at a top agency. Get the experience and leverage it to a better opportunity elsewhere.

Cons

-I wrote a "does not recommend" review (with all the same pros) a few weeks ago and have seen several other negative reviews follow. I have deleted that review because I'd like to provide more context to the problems at RKG. -As for if I recommend RKG, it depends. If you just graduated and want to work for an agency that will provide you with an incredible foundation for work in the digital industry, you can't do much better than RKG. However, once you've been here a year or two, you can do so much better in terms of salary, career growth, and job title. People are regularly leaving to work for Google, Microsoft, etc. There really is no reason not to, and RKG simply can't (or won't) provide the salary bumps and promotions to retain their best staff. -Pre-Merkle, RKG was an awesome place to work. Day to day, it's still mostly enjoyable. No Merkle employees were brought in to the office. Your coworkers are still the same, your managers are still the same. The technology and training didn't change. -The problem is zero benefits came with the acquisition. Salaries did not go up. Benefits got marginally worse. We went from a hip agency using Google-suite products (Gmail, Google drive) to stuffy Outlook, an awful internal HR/review system, a business travel plan where you have to use your own credit card to pay for flights/hotels and then get reimbursed months later, and timecards that take forever to fill out. We went from most people working 40 hours a week to it being the norm for lots of people to still be working at 7pm. -We were promised tons of wider career opportunities and that has not happened at all. I'm sure the RKG management is reading these reviews because they recently made an effort to share opportunities with the office. Well, those opportunities are all just horizontal moves to equivalent job titles and worse Merkle offices with inferior technology. No one wants that. -RKG management DOES care about their employees. The directors and VPs are all very nice, experienced people who have their hands tied. They had no say in the acquisition and are working with the cards they were dealt.

Advice to Management

-People want good salaries and career growth. If you can't provide that, they'll find it elsewhere. And they are, at increasingly greater rates. -I'd like to be optimistic and think that some solution can be created, but I see nothing so far. RKG analysts are getting loaded with more and more work, your best employees who have been here for years are taking jobs at top companies that pay double what they make now and everyone else has to pick up the slack, and it's overall just a frustrating, powerless situation to be in. -It would be nice if the RKG management would actually have their own company-wide meeting to address these issues. The Merkle-wide company meetings are useless, no one wants to hear Merkle's CEO answer softball questions (you have to personally email the Merkle VP of People or whatever she is if you want a question asked, so no one wants to attach confrontational questions to their name). I hope these issues aren't falling on deaf ears, but it really feels that way. -For the Merkle management: We've been under Merkle for a year, you've had the chance to make a good first impression to the RKG employees and completely botched it. From your horrible unreadable matrix PowerPoints to your endless stream of pointless Merkle-All emails to reducing our benefits and increasing our work hours, you've completely failed at motivating and impressing the RKG employees.

Ruined when taken over by Merkle

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Rimm Kaufman Group

Pros

Before RKG was "Merkle-ized" it was a good place to work. Little if any red tape, actions were taken speedily. Management, while not perfect, was more prone to listen to employees. Friendly people, small town feel

Cons

Absolutely one of the worse places to work now. Management is spread over the globe, uncaring with little interest in finding out why everyone is leaving. Profits are tumbling, and instead of fixing issues, they just buy out another company, ruin it and move on. Do not consider this company if you are looking for a place to work.

Advice to Management

People are not "metrics". Quit referring to them as such.

Four Stars as Stepping Stone, Two Stars as a Career

I have been working at Rimm Kaufman Group (More than a year)

Pros

-Good group of people to work with -Nice office -A few good perks -Some flexibility with hours and working remotely -A few thought leaders and industry experts in-house, though they are spread too thin -Good resume builder, you do real work for big name clients and people have been able to move on to good jobs with top companies

Cons

-Pay is really low for the workload and expectations -Bizarre and demotivating promotion schedule -Benefits have gotten worse and more expensive -Promised improvements have not materialized -Required to attend many pointless meanings and trainings, but still hit efficiency and utilization rates -Because of growth, attrition and only promoting from within, the majority of managers are in over their heads -Work loads have increased and quality of service to clients has decreased and definitely does not warrant the price tag

Advice to Management

The "RKG Model" was never scalable or sustainable and the cracks are showing. Many people have left and more will as the opportunity presents itself. Clients will follow suit when they question what they are paying for once they see the churn and decreased level of service. Time to start paying to retain and recruit experienced talent who can deliver quality work and stop relying solely on cheap, entry level employees... who will also leave once they gain experience, recognize what's going on here and realize that there are better opportunities elsewhere.

Great place for professional growth

I have been working at Rimm Kaufman Group

Pros

The flexibility and opportunities given to grow and take initiative are excellent. Great work/life balance. The company culture is collaborative and fun.

Cons

Pay is on the low side.

Growing too fast

Former Employee - Paid Search Analyst in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Paid Search Analyst in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Rimm Kaufman Group

Pros

Great leadership, smart people, good technology, great town. For the most part all of the employees are nice people to be around.

Cons

The pace is too frenetic. Due to recent growth, PPC analysts are taking on a lot more clients which means quality of work per client suffers.

9. Great Working Environment

I have been working at Rimm Kaufman Group

Pros

-Great people -Good work-life balance -Positive Office Culture

Cons

-Growing pains -Unclear path for promotion

10. More than you would expect from an entry level post-college job

I have been working at Rimm Kaufman Group

Pros

Looking for a job out of college I wasn't exactly sure what to do, but was so pleased to stumble on RKG. The Paid Search Analyst position didn't require any specific major or knowledge, and hands on training taught me what I needed. It's been a fantastic experience in a wonderful environment.

Cons

Requires that you be a self-starter. If you want to be bored and unhappy, you will be. If you strive to learn more and do more, you will succeed.

Rimm Kaufman Group Response

Jan 7, 2015 – Corporate Recruiter

Great review... and even better advice! Thank you!

Pretty good place to work

I worked at Rimm Kaufman Group

Pros

Good, competent people. Most everyone's pretty young (20's - 30's). Infinite snacks. Good training. Company swag.

Cons

My official offer was for 10K less than the range the recruiter and I confirmed in our first conversation. When I complained, they said, 'Sorry, that's all we can do'. I needed the job, so I took it. While working there, I got the feeling that most low-level employees are smart, but very replaceable (all their training is on-the-job), so the company didn't have to worry about paying them somewhat low, slow-growing salaries and expect them to fall in line with the way things were done. But for someone like me with prior experience and skills relevant to position, it was a bit jarring to be treated like an entry-level employee.

RSS Feed </> Embed