RingCentral

Updated December 9, 2014
3.4

RingCentral Founder, Chairman & CEO Vlad Shmunis
Vlad Shmunis

Pros
  • Great product, relatively new space so always coming up with creative new marketing campaigns (in 5 reviews)

• Company has a good product, a lot of customers and shows dynamic growth (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no HR and the whole company is run on threats and fear (in 6 reviews)

• Nothing is clearly communicated and there's a strong lack of vision from VP's (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice to enjoy coming to work!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Denver, CO

I have been working at RingCentral full-time (more than an year)

Pros

RingCentral is a huge change of pace from previous employers I have had. It is a very energetic environment, and embodies a work hard play hard mentality. It is nice to be in a role, where your opinion is considered and help is never too far away.Great benefits, a relaxed work environment, and good pay are all factors that contribute. Not to mention they feed us everyday. Personally, I enjoy knowing that if I put in the effort I will be rewarded accordingly. Pay is pretty good. Management is responsive, and easily accessible. It's very nice to come to work, enjoy your role, and have a sense of fulfillment at the end of the day.

Cons

My only complaint is I would like to know my goals a little quicker each month, but it is getting better every month.

demanding, rewarding and competitive workplace

I have been working at RingCentral full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

qualified, experienced and hard working team of people

Cons

need to hire more/better talent

hire faster, better and quality folks, at industry rates to increase employee acquisition and retention...

Fantastic place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at RingCentral full-time (less than an year)

Pros

RingCentral has a market leading product
    Very collaborative environment
    Catered lunch MWF
    Great benefits
    Great leadership in the Sales Org

Cons

There are very few cons that I have found since joining, but if I had to pick one, it would be location. Not ideal if you are commuting from the far south bay or the city. We do have free shuttles from the train station though, so not bad if you take public trans.

Loved working at RC. Learned a lot. Played a lot.

Former Employee - Vice President, Business Services in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President, Business Services in San Mateo, CA

I worked at RingCentral full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fosters innovation and entrepreneurship culture. Great product that sells. A very strong management team who knows what they are doing. A great platform to learn and grow yourself. I personally grew overall as a better professional by touching all parts of the business.

Cons

Building location and overall facility challenges. I think it's getting fixed now.

Communicate more often with employees

Great employees, fun office

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at RingCentral full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoy working as a member of the marketing team at RingCentral. Great product, relatively new space so always coming up with creative new marketing campaigns. Nice to be able to work with people from every department, don't feel like you're in a silo of 1, it's really a team effort and everyone comes together to get the job done!

People are very friendly, creative office space (love my convertible desk, so I can sit or stand while I work), catered lunches are great, fun team outings to celebrate big accomplishments!

Cons

Steady employee reviews would be appreciated. I would like to know how I'm performing, and what I could be doing more of on a consistent basis. This will help me better manage my team as well. I think it's been about a year since my last official review.

Keep hiring great people! Move sales and marketing back together (we miss the energy and excitement!!).

Energetic and quirky characters

Current Employee - Administrative in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at RingCentral as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

RingCentral has the nicest employees. There are so many different types of people: young and old, serious and funny, soft-spoken and way too loud for their own good. All of them precocious to the bone and such a pleasure to work with. I have the fortunate task to interact with mostly everyone at HQ and at our other locations and each person I observe go above and beyond in their work ethic, to resolve any problems or disputes, and to create a welcoming and team-oriented atmosphere.

Cons

There are few challenges to working here but one would definitely be that we are still growing, learning, trying to get things right. We're constantly building our family and it's difficult to have limited resources we can utilize as efficiently as possible. We will continue to make mistakes and thus continue to learn from them.

It's necessary to have supervisors be an example in creating the welcoming and team-oriented atmosphere. It is them, to whom we look to for guidance and encouragement. It is in my opinion that any department is as strong as their leader.

Survivor for Silicon Valley

I have been working at RingCentral full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ruthless execution makes the revenue grow real quick.

Cons

It's like the 'Survivor' show.

Teach everyone how to speak Russian.

Awful Company

I worked at RingCentral

Pros

Decent competitive product. Good pay. High growth potential.

Cons

Bullies. Disorganized management. Unprofessional environment. High turnover in staffing, sales, technical services, NOC etc.

I think you already know what to do, you just don't do it.

Take the good with the bad..

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Denver, CO

I worked at RingCentral full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pros:

1) Culture. For someone in the 20-35 range the culture is pretty awesome. There's a good amount of focus on events and company outings. The outings used to be much more commonplace, but have been reduced in frequency quite a bit over the last year. The sales reps are generally motivated and cool to be around and the office itself (the new one) is pretty sweet minus the location.

2) The perks.
    A - They bring in breakfast every day. This is a perk for a while, until you get sick of bagels three times a week and burritos the other two.

B - They bring in lunch 3 times a week. This is a perk for a while, until you realize that a fast food regiment breeds high cholesterol and afternoon food comas.

C - They run contests from time to time. Some are good, some are worthless, some only apply to certain segments but nonetheless they're there.

3) The product. Ringcentral is a very easy solution to sell and since the leads are all warm you're generally speaking with people who want your product or are at least in the market. There are people there who likely couldn't sell much else, but are able to sell RC because of the demand and relatively simple sales cycle/process.

4) Leads are warm. There's no prospecting at RC, all leads are given to you.

5) The managers (not executives). Management generally cares about reps and wants to see them succeed. However, because of pressure put on them by execs, there's sometimes little they can do to help their reps get to quota.

Cons

1) Compensation. This would be a good job out of college for someone that's looking to build their resume before moving onto a real sales job. Because the leads are warm, and because the product is relatively easy to sell, there's no emphasis placed on really paying reps, even the top ones. This tends to be the biggest complaint of top producing reps. Additionally, you can expect Ringcentral to "promote" you to a higher segment without offering a pay raise.

2) No prospecting. This makes you soft. Ringcentral discourages individual lead gen/campaigns and as a result you become soft over a period of time only working warm leads that you didn't generate.

3) No cross-department collaboration whatsoever. Ringcentral does not view collaboration as an asset. Marketing does what they want, regardless of input from sales into what's working/what's not working. Not once, in two years, was I asked for my thoughts on a marketing campaign. Additionally, there's very little collaboration between sales and support.

4) Support/Porting. The support and porting departments are generally tough to count on and if you work in a smaller segment (namely 2-9) you're spending a good amount of your day making sure your accounts don't cancel because of various reasons. The support issue takes away from sales time and I found myself spending 1/5 --> 1/4 of my day on just making sure people don't cancel.

5) Quotas set arbitrarily and released 5-15 days into the month (rather than the 1st day like normal sales ops). There will be a month where 60% of the team hits, and then the next month only 30% will hit. It's all over the board and generally when one team doesn't hit, their quotas go down while another team that does hit will see their quotas go up. Ever since Ringcentral became a public company the amount of reps that hit quota went lower and lower. When I started 90%+ of reps would hit quota monthly and now that number hovers around 50% or lower.

6) Upward mobility. Getting into a management role is difficult and is becoming more difficult with the more reps they hire. Ringcentral promotes a very political culture and those reps who play the game the most are generally more well regarded by management. THIS IS NOT a job where numbers speak for themselves and this presents an issue since focusing on other ways to suck up will take time away from your sales or will force you to work very long hours.

7) Without naming any names, let's just say that all decisions within Ringcentral Denver (promotions, raises, other roles, etc..) go through one person. This presents a bottleneck dilemma, especially if this person happens to not like you. There is little consistency in the way that this person operates. For example, one person could be fired after not hitting quota for three months, whereas there have been people who hadn't hit quota for 6+ months that weren't fired.

8) The hiring engine is moving much quicker than the lead generation engine. More reps = less leads. Inbound reps have seen their waiting time increase to over an hour for a lead whereas just a year ago there'd be maybe 5-10 minutes in between incoming calls. This is just one example, leads are more scarce in all aspects of the game. Additionally, because Ringcentral doesn't encourage individual prospecting, you're relegated to only working those leads given to you, as short as they may be.

9) Location. The location of the Denver office keeps moving further and further south. Most reps live downtown, take this into account!

10) The SDR team. If you're considering a role as an SDR - DON'T. This department is all over the place and is subject to so many whims you'll literally be doing something different each week. Their pay is literally horrendous and job security is very low. Chances of getting promoted to an AE, regardless of what management will tell you, is very low and you'll be waiting 1, 1.5 years for this promotion. Ask any SDR what their opinion of the role is - they'll let you know.

1) Pay your reps more, especially those in the higher segments. Tenured reps know that you're hiring people and paying them as much as reps who have been there for two years - this is not a good look and does not breed loyalty. Don't ask reps to move upsegment without offering them more money.

2) Focus more on coaching. There is very little coaching at Ringcentral and thus reps tend to stay stagnant in terms of performance.

3) Promote from within more often. Bringing outside managers in, rather than promoting tenured reps who have performed and want to be managers, kills morale and loyalty.

4) Check the power at the top (especially in Denver)

If Ringcentral paid well and gave reps more opportunity to further their career it could be an AMAZING place to work and reps wouldn't leave after 2-3 years once presented with a better option.

Great Employees + Strong, Growing Company

I have been working at RingCentral full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Others may think of constant change as a bad thing, while if you learn to adapt to change as it comes - you realize that amazing opportunities open up. There is plenty of room for advancement if you put in the work. I do not wake up in the morning dreading the work day. I know I have the support to tackle any task and have the opportunity to learn something new each day. Within the company there are very nice people and a great group of managers and executives who are looking to build a stronger team/company.

Cons

There are con's in everything we face. Luckily, this company seems to be aware and working on the challenges they face.

Keep listening and learning from your employees when they speak up & keep allowing them to speak. It will help make the company a strong team and will help retain talented employees.