RingCentral Reviews

Updated October 17, 2014
Updated October 17, 2014

RingCentral Founder, Chairman & CEO Vlad Shmunis
Vlad Shmunis

Pros
  • Company has a good product, a lot of customers and shows dynamic growth (in 4 reviews)

• Great product in theory, free food and coffee/soda, some good people in low places (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no HR and the whole company is run on threats and fear (in 6 reviews)

• Nothing is clearly communicated and there's a strong lack of vision from VP's (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Energetic and quirky characters

Current Employee - Administrative in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at RingCentral as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

RingCentral has the nicest employees. There are so many different types of people: young and old, serious and funny, soft-spoken and way too loud for their own good. All of them precocious to the bone and such a pleasure to work with. I have the fortunate task to interact with mostly everyone at HQ and at our other locations and each person I observe go above and beyond in their work ethic, to resolve any problems or disputes, and to create a welcoming and team-oriented atmosphere.

Cons

There are few challenges to working here but one would definitely be that we are still growing, learning, trying to get things right. We're constantly building our family and it's difficult to have limited resources we can utilize as efficiently as possible. We will continue to make mistakes and thus continue to learn from them.

It's necessary to have supervisors be an example in creating the welcoming and team-oriented atmosphere. It is them, to whom we look to for guidance and encouragement. It is in my opinion that any department is as strong as their leader.

Survivor for Silicon Valley

I have been working at RingCentral full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ruthless execution makes the revenue grow real quick.

Cons

It's like the 'Survivor' show.

Teach everyone how to speak Russian.

Awful Company

I worked at RingCentral

Pros

Decent competitive product. Good pay. High growth potential.

Cons

Bullies. Disorganized management. Unprofessional environment. High turnover in staffing, sales, technical services, NOC etc.

I think you already know what to do, you just don't do it.

Take the good with the bad..

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Denver, CO

I worked at RingCentral full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pros:

1) Culture. For someone in the 20-35 range the culture is pretty awesome. There's a good amount of focus on events and company outings. The outings used to be much more commonplace, but have been reduced in frequency quite a bit over the last year. The sales reps are generally motivated and cool to be around and the office itself (the new one) is pretty sweet minus the location.

2) The perks.
    A - They bring in breakfast every day. This is a perk for a while, until you get sick of bagels three times a week and burritos the other two.

B - They bring in lunch 3 times a week. This is a perk for a while, until you realize that a fast food regiment breeds high cholesterol and afternoon food comas.

C - They run contests from time to time. Some are good, some are worthless, some only apply to certain segments but nonetheless they're there.

3) The product. Ringcentral is a very easy solution to sell and since the leads are all warm you're generally speaking with people who want your product or are at least in the market. There are people there who likely couldn't sell much else, but are able to sell RC because of the demand and relatively simple sales cycle/process.

4) Leads are warm. There's no prospecting at RC, all leads are given to you.

5) The managers (not executives). Management generally cares about reps and wants to see them succeed. However, because of pressure put on them by execs, there's sometimes little they can do to help their reps get to quota.

Cons

1) Compensation. This would be a good job out of college for someone that's looking to build their resume before moving onto a real sales job. Because the leads are warm, and because the product is relatively easy to sell, there's no emphasis placed on really paying reps, even the top ones. This tends to be the biggest complaint of top producing reps. Additionally, you can expect Ringcentral to "promote" you to a higher segment without offering a pay raise.

2) No prospecting. This makes you soft. Ringcentral discourages individual lead gen/campaigns and as a result you become soft over a period of time only working warm leads that you didn't generate.

3) No cross-department collaboration whatsoever. Ringcentral does not view collaboration as an asset. Marketing does what they want, regardless of input from sales into what's working/what's not working. Not once, in two years, was I asked for my thoughts on a marketing campaign. Additionally, there's very little collaboration between sales and support.

4) Support/Porting. The support and porting departments are generally tough to count on and if you work in a smaller segment (namely 2-9) you're spending a good amount of your day making sure your accounts don't cancel because of various reasons. The support issue takes away from sales time and I found myself spending 1/5 --> 1/4 of my day on just making sure people don't cancel.

5) Quotas set arbitrarily and released 5-15 days into the month (rather than the 1st day like normal sales ops). There will be a month where 60% of the team hits, and then the next month only 30% will hit. It's all over the board and generally when one team doesn't hit, their quotas go down while another team that does hit will see their quotas go up. Ever since Ringcentral became a public company the amount of reps that hit quota went lower and lower. When I started 90%+ of reps would hit quota monthly and now that number hovers around 50% or lower.

6) Upward mobility. Getting into a management role is difficult and is becoming more difficult with the more reps they hire. Ringcentral promotes a very political culture and those reps who play the game the most are generally more well regarded by management. THIS IS NOT a job where numbers speak for themselves and this presents an issue since focusing on other ways to suck up will take time away from your sales or will force you to work very long hours.

7) Without naming any names, let's just say that all decisions within Ringcentral Denver (promotions, raises, other roles, etc..) go through one person. This presents a bottleneck dilemma, especially if this person happens to not like you. There is little consistency in the way that this person operates. For example, one person could be fired after not hitting quota for three months, whereas there have been people who hadn't hit quota for 6+ months that weren't fired.

8) The hiring engine is moving much quicker than the lead generation engine. More reps = less leads. Inbound reps have seen their waiting time increase to over an hour for a lead whereas just a year ago there'd be maybe 5-10 minutes in between incoming calls. This is just one example, leads are more scarce in all aspects of the game. Additionally, because Ringcentral doesn't encourage individual prospecting, you're relegated to only working those leads given to you, as short as they may be.

9) Location. The location of the Denver office keeps moving further and further south. Most reps live downtown, take this into account!

10) The SDR team. If you're considering a role as an SDR - DON'T. This department is all over the place and is subject to so many whims you'll literally be doing something different each week. Their pay is literally horrendous and job security is very low. Chances of getting promoted to an AE, regardless of what management will tell you, is very low and you'll be waiting 1, 1.5 years for this promotion. Ask any SDR what their opinion of the role is - they'll let you know.

1) Pay your reps more, especially those in the higher segments. Tenured reps know that you're hiring people and paying them as much as reps who have been there for two years - this is not a good look and does not breed loyalty. Don't ask reps to move upsegment without offering them more money.

2) Focus more on coaching. There is very little coaching at Ringcentral and thus reps tend to stay stagnant in terms of performance.

3) Promote from within more often. Bringing outside managers in, rather than promoting tenured reps who have performed and want to be managers, kills morale and loyalty.

4) Check the power at the top (especially in Denver)

If Ringcentral paid well and gave reps more opportunity to further their career it could be an AMAZING place to work and reps wouldn't leave after 2-3 years once presented with a better option.

Great Employees + Strong, Growing Company

I have been working at RingCentral full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Others may think of constant change as a bad thing, while if you learn to adapt to change as it comes - you realize that amazing opportunities open up. There is plenty of room for advancement if you put in the work. I do not wake up in the morning dreading the work day. I know I have the support to tackle any task and have the opportunity to learn something new each day. Within the company there are very nice people and a great group of managers and executives who are looking to build a stronger team/company.

Cons

There are con's in everything we face. Luckily, this company seems to be aware and working on the challenges they face.

Keep listening and learning from your employees when they speak up & keep allowing them to speak. It will help make the company a strong team and will help retain talented employees.

Excellent product, excellent team - Excellent growth, opportunity and recognition. No complaints here.

Current Employee - Technology in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Technology in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at RingCentral full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've watched the company grow from start-up to IPO and it's now a more mature company in more ways than the Fortune 100 company I left to join RingCentral. There is a lot going on, a great deal of growth and yes, much work on my plate. But seeing what I have been able to accomplish over my time with the company, has been rewarding. It's a great place to work if you love what you do, but maybe the wrong place for you if you don't.

Cons

I have no complaints on compensation, perks or leadership. I've been treated very well.

Dont work here run

Current Employee - Senior Operations Architect in San Dimas, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Operations Architect in San Dimas, CA

I have been working at RingCentral full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good lunches and break fast.

Cons

Management lacks directions, they treat people as commodities. Most employees are ex- Cisco , Webex if you dont have it in your resume forget getting a job. All the operation groups never work for the groups that support the daily operations!!! run with politics and lack of vision. There are too many chiefs!!!! who do

Groom your employees give them a chance to grow. Just because you are growing fast doest mean you can exploit employees!!!

Poor leadership

I have been working at RingCentral full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity for growth is there if you can step up and shine. Free lunch 3 days a week. Flexible work hours. Valet parking.

Cons

Lack of vision from management, terrible employee culture. Politics are THICK! Lack of a cohesive, unified corporate and culture strategy from management has created a environment of fear and apathy.

If you want a Sr. Level job here, make sure you have WebEx on your resume.

Get out of your ivory tower - provide a clear, cohesive vision and direction to the employees and we will execute.

Would never recommend

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at RingCentral full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lunch provided once a week.

Cons

Would never recommend this job. Culture is miserable, employees expected to work 60 hour work weeks with little compensation. Senior management attempts to motivate by speeches for a high school football team and free lunches. Very little respect given unless you are in the top 5%.

Stop lying about culture in interviews and start compensating for all the work your employees accomplish. Improve on this and might actually see your stock rise instead of fall.

Working in progess

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at RingCentral full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hyper growth company and seems there are many opportunities for people to shine if they take the initiatives. Great technology and moving into the enterprise market...great lunches and breakfast

Cons

Culture and on-boarding need major over haul, not much collaboration and there seems to be a disconnect among leaders within the company

Meeting once a week might not be enough for the execs and I think more collaboration and transparency about how people can do more for the company will be helpful, many managers do not know how to communicate to their groups.