Rio Salado College

CEO

Great Work Experience

Current Employee - Web Designer in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Web Designer in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Rio Salado College as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great manager. Calvin Devoll.

Everyone I have worked with is respectful and friendly.

Deadlines and team are setup to succeed.

Downstairs cafeteria.

Hours are somewhat flexible.

Cons

Many meetings... but keeps things in sync.

Pay is somewhat low for a family.

Calvin does a great job. I have had a lot of managers in 25 years in the industry... he stands out... thus the great review.

very nice people but very confusiing

Former Employee - ESL Teacher
    Former Employee - ESL Teacher

I worked at Rio Salado College part-time (less than an year)

Pros

people are nice, helpful and very dedicated. students are wonderful

Cons

it was confusing and a tad disorganized. better for people with more experience working in the higher ed field and more independent educators.

Excellent place to work if you don't mind only getting 19.5 hours a week

I worked at Rio Salado College

Pros

Flexible with family needs. I was pregnant for 9 months of my 11/2 years of employment and had lots of complications. They had no problem working with me.

Cons

They will only hire hourly employees pay time and they ate VERY strict about only getting 19.5 hours a week because they ate assigned a yearly budget they can not exceed.

19.5 hours is NOT enough to live off of at 10 an hour. My suggestion would hire less part time and find hourly employees who work hard and gone them more hours. Why not depend on less people but more loyal hard working employees when dealing with time sensitive work and government guidelines.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor

I have been working at Rio Salado College part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility! As an adjunct professor they were willing to work with me when I was maternity leave. Additionally, they care about the students and will back up their professors.

Cons

I want to work more!!!

Top heavy work environment in adult basic ed. focused on image/competition between sites rather than supporting people

I have been working at Rio Salado College

Pros

many training opportunities; room for freedom in teaching methods

Cons

few full time teachers/instructors ... too many managers makes it feel like a scene from the office space movie; manager's jobs seem to involve only negative feedback and adding more projects to load down teachers rather than helping them be successful ... image focused not people focused.

if you want quality teachers willing to do all of the extra work required, return to full time teacher positions rather than one managerial teacher, multiple higher managers, and part time teachers. There should be more full time teachers than full time managers. Stop unprofessional/down talking about teachers in front of others or through email pelting.

Innovative environment to work in

I have been working at Rio Salado College

Pros

Innovation is always moving forward and the staff at RSC always work towards finding new solutions and tools.

Cons

There can be too many things changing at once.

Keep allowing the teams to work while management stays at the planning level.

It's all adjunct, all the time

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Rio Salado College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

English department has a chair who is revising all the curriculum to make it more relevant in a technological age.

Curriculum and rubrics are provided. The course is ready to teach the day you arrive.

Once you've taught a while, and systemize your grading practices, it becomes simple.

Nice colleagues, great students.

Cons

Only department chairs are full-time. Adjuncts comprise the entire faculty, and the district limits us to half time. They seem to spread the classes around to keep everyone available without filling anyone's dance card.

Because online curriculum is provided, there is no revising or personalizing. You can send in corrections and suggestions, which often turn out to be impossible, and you have to be tactful about helping students understand a confusing assignment.

The technology systems are often unreliable, and the scoring tool is the worst of any I've ever worked with.

Pay is based on enrollment, so by the end, when a few student crises have set in, and the lazier online students have dropped, your paycheck shrinks dramatically. Part of that is that In core classes like English, where the classes are expected to fill, they begin with full pay, and then take the difference off the end. They try to explain that it is possible, but the first time I taught, that was a shock.

I wanted to let you know the exact pay per course, but I'm not sure; pay is confusing to figure out. When they said the quarter was eight weeks long, and named the pay per quarter, it sounded like a livable wage. It turns out that was for the rotating start dates every eight weeks. The classes themselves are either 8 or 14 weeks long (students choose) and the pay is spread over 16 weeks. So it was half the expected pay.

My paycheck reached $800 (bi-weekly) when I once had four classes. That's only possible for overlapping quarters. Three is the limit and that means teaching for any Maricopa Community College District institution. I had friends who once made a great living by teaching ten classes at four schools, but they can't get away with that anymore.

Online pay is the same as in-person courses. So that's a Pro for online, a Con for adding prep, transportation, instruction time, in-person consultations, making handouts, and everything else we do for that.

Enrollment is dropping. We used to be the the only MCCD school accredited for online, but now we compete with all our sister schools for that, and the economy seems to be picking up again. I'm in demand because of my high student evaluations and my specialty, but even my number of classes has dropped.

If you're looking for a hobby or great volunteer service this is it. If you need to make a living, keep looking. I won't be here long myself.

We provide the service for which all other jobs exist. Pay us what we're worth, and hire the best performers full-time.

Adjuncts= the New Egyptian Slave

I have been working at Rio Salado College part-time

Pros

They have really good cheese and crackers at their bi-annual mandatory adjunct meetings.

Cons

They enslave adjuncts to build their downtown pyramid (and make some money for MCCCD) with the U of P model. Get ready to work for $5/hr or less as they spy on your classes (making fallacious evaluations along the way due to incompetent staff and poor LMS) and make you feel like a means to an end. The curriculum is cheap and thin, and you really help students to learn that a degree (rather than an actual education) is what is most important.

Get a life!

Middle management is run by visibly unhappy people.

Former Employee - Program Advisor in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Program Advisor in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Rio Salado College

Pros

Easy commute. Defined benefits state pension. Many great colleagues. The Rio model of online education is valuable to know because it is heavily favored by CFO's.

Cons

A large contingent of frustrated workers take enjoyment sabotaging motivated workers. Simple math reveals linear promotion requires ~200 years for everyone in department to advance, yet the cadre are too timid to make a jump within the Maricopa system.

The Rioway training for professional staff is the best lesson on corporate double talk this side of the Mississippi. It destroys management credibility and creates a culture of duplicity. As long as staff productivity is benchmarked with data unrelated to what students are asking for, Rio's retention will remain among the lowest in the nation.

All Temp Work

I have been working at Rio Salado College part-time

Pros

Great People to work with

Cons

Can't get anything more than Temp. Status

Hire good people, or you will lose them.