Riot Games

Updated September 20, 2014
4.7

Riot Games CEO Brandon Beck
Brandon Beck

Pros
  • Everything the company does is to give the League of Legends players the best experience (in 17 reviews)

• Riot lives the mission of trying to be the most player focused game company in the world (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult work/life balance for some people (in 22 reviews)

• The cost of living in Santa Monica / West LA is ludicrous (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Interned at Riot Games over the summer, had a fantastic experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games as an intern for less than a year

Pros

As an intern I was treated very respectfully. I was given actual responsibilities, meaningful work and I felt like I was able to make an impact. I was given ample tools and opportunities to stand out and prove myself. The passion you feel from Rioters in the workplace is palpable, and everyone seems to genuinely enjoy what they are doing. The focus on culture, treating employees as people, as well as the vast number decisions made with the player in mind first really makes this company stand out from other AAA studios as genuine.

Cons

Rent in Santa Monica is quite expensive. Company structure is very flat, so people used to strict, bureaucratic type companies will likely feel out of place.

Keep up the good work, but also be quicker to jump on and address inter-team communication issues that can lead to delays and frustration.

Fantastic place to work, always looking forward to get to work.

Former Employee - Intern  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Riot Games as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The people and culture here is amazing. Everyone is incredibly smart, open, nice, and responsive. If people are available, they'd be happy to show you what they're working on. Being the most focused company is truly what Riot strives to be. No matter what you're working on, the player is the most important part of it. It's refreshing and great to work at a company that focuses that much on the players. It's the most rewarding and fun place I've ever worked at.

Cons

If you're not careful, it can be easy to spend too much time working. There are also occasionally issues with communication between teams. It takes a lot of time to make sure teams understand the communication.

outstanding place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Riot has attracted some amazing talent. By far the best engineering team i have worked with. The company is very focused on the players. The company is very employee growth focused as well. Flexible work schedule.

Cons

Not many downsides in my opinion. Company has grown considerably so it does not have the start-up feel it once did. Lack of a widespread bonus plan.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place if you're willing to work hard

Current Employee - Associate Manager  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company really feels like it's doing something different. They're aiming to change the game industry, and have already done it with their first product. Their investments into other pieces of the player experience (music, videos, esports, etc), is a real reflection of their commitment to the player and delivering value anywhere (and any way) they can.

Cons

It's hard work. Expectations are high, both internally and externally, and people looking for a 40-hour work week should likely stay away. This is a company that rewards go-getters, so people who can create and execute their own projects (while promoting visibility of those wins) will succeed.

Even after the honeymoon phase, this is my dream job and company to work for

I have been working at Riot Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Freedom to make decisions within your scope of responsibility
    * Being in a culture that is focused on the player and the employee. Everyone talks the talk, but Riot walks the walk.
    * Open feedback culture

Cons

* Working with what you love, and surrounded by people passionate about their work means you will find yourself sacrificing a healthy work/life balance

I often ask myself if I were to interview today for Riot would I get a job offer? It keeps me humble. For now, I believe the answer is Yes. But if it were No, then it probably means I'm not doing enough to evolve with the company. If that answer sustains then I shouldn't be around anymore. I don't think the hiring bar should be different from the firing bar.
    I think that keeping the culture is strong, is asking those tough questions and acting on it. How do we enable leaders to act accordingly?

This is the place to be if you want to work in the video game industry!

Current Employee - QA Analyst  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people who work here are incredibly passionate about video games. Many employees eat, sleep, and breathe League of Legends or other PC games, and the "player perspective" that Riot has as a result of this truly allows us to connect with our players (customers) on the deepest level.

Incredibly open, laid back culture. Things aren't sugar-coated, and you have to have thick skin to work here, but what this means is that if you're doing something that isn't working or is at odds with the culture, you're able to course-correct quickly. "Gamer" humor is injected into most company-wide communications, which helps add to our mantra of "not taking ourselves too seriously."

Cross-disciplinary teams are the norm at Riot, and is one of the most remarkable things about working here. As QA, I have direct access to Design, Engineering, Art, and UX, and can talk to any of them with ease on a daily basis. It prevents scenarios where things are worked on in a vacuum and "tossed over" the wall for QA to check. We're redefining what it means to have test-driven development, and the result on the holistic product quality shows.

There's no shortage of work to be done, and if you're a go-getter, you can rise quickly at Riot if you're delivering results and solving perceived problems in ways that add player value. I've been here for quite some time now and have seen people get hired in at very junior-level positions rise to management and product owner roles by identifying problems and working their butts off to solve them.

Cons

As with any company, dominant personalities tend to control most of the decisions that get made at Riot. Once people have established you as someone "junior," on your team, it's difficult to reverse that perception in a way that allows for increased career opportunities.

A mantra of many successful companies is to "hire well, fire quickly." Riot has the first part down, but is slow to fire unproductive/unmotivated employees, especially since many Rioters tend to be friends with each other to some degree on their respective teams. It often comes down to 2-3 superstars carrying the load for the team while others are content to do the bare minimum and skate by.

Focus on hiring more from within. Riot is obsessed with being the best, and that often means that superstars from within the company can often get overlooked for positions so that highly-lauded candidates from other top gaming companies can be brought in, which can make really good employees feel under-appreciated and cause them to explore other opportunities where they may be able to be compensated more.

I have never felt so empowered.

Current Employee - Game Designer  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Game Designer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of tech companies have a cool office and nifty perks. Riot follows up on all of that by really caring about the growth of employees, and most importantly empowering individuals to make the right decisions with a blissful lack of micromanagement. I have never worked so hard and never felt so rewarded for doing so.

It is always clear at Riot how to make decisions -- whatever brings the most value to players.

Cons

Riot still has a start-up feel. There are new problems to solve every day. This is awesome if you like to solve problems, but not if you just want someone to hand you down your next set of tasks.

The company tries to move quickly, sometimes too quickly. There are a lot of young, inexperienced employees and sometimes they are given too much responsibility too quickly. The environment is chaotic in a healthy way, but it is chaotic.

Work/Life Balance is an interesting problem. Nobody asks you to work long hours, but there are a lot of young people who like to spend all of their free time at the office. It isn't dangerous at the moment, but could set bad expectations or cause problems ("why doesn't X eat dinner here like me?") in the future.

Your excitement to launch new teams or projects frequently outstrips your ability to staff them, especially with leads. Be more discerning in launching new teams, and fewer of them will have to wind down.

Internship Review

Current Employee - Intern  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Smart people. Smart mentors. Awesome events (Boat Cruise baby!). Freedom to explore anything you find interesting. Super cool office culture. Everyone is friendly to help. Housing is amazing.

Cons

You do need to work really hard on both technical work and reaching out to people to get things done. Coordination between different teams requite a lot of communication.

Explore more opportunities both in or out of league of legends to keep the dynamics of the company.

Amazing company and internship experience

Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games as an intern for less than a year

Pros

As an intern, you're not thrown in a corner and told to work on projects that'll never see the light of day. From day one, you have the opportunity to work on awesome projects that make the player experience better.

Feedback is extremely important at Riot. Whether you're an intern or a veteran, giving and receiving feedback can help you and your team improve your craft, so you can kick some butt!

Failing is a bad thing, right? Nope, we fail all the time. We learn from our fails and share them with others so it doesn't happen twice.

Riot is a great place to work for humble and ambitious gamers that are interested in solving challenging problems, constantly learning, and improving their craft.

Cons

Work/Life Balance can be tough sometimes. Most of my days were from 10:30am to around 9-10pm.

Meeting throughout the week take up a fair amount of time, so there's slightly less time to work on tasks.

The hardest job you'll ever love.

Current Employee - Intern  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Essentially everyone at Riot is super passionate. You'll always find yourself in a high energy environment, surrounded by people looking to push you past what you thought your limits are, but also be there to support you whenever you struggle. This makes the company culture extremely positive - which is important given how much time employees spend here.

Riot prides itself on having a strong 'feedback culture.' In general I think this is a very good thing. It encourages people to be open to constructive criticism and also teaches employees to get better at giving it. Sometimes this means that a project will take much longer to complete than it has to, but this almost always results in a better product. It also opens up very wide channels of communication between employees, managers, coworkers, and senior management.

The compensation and benefits, as well as the sense of appreciation for employees has been extremely satisfying to me. Along with the great feeling that comes with creating a better game for players, there is a lot of internal recognition and encouragement.

As an intern, I have felt as though I've been given responsibilities on par with my coworkers in my first summer, and projects in line with my experience (more difficulty/responsibility) during my second summer. I feel very connected and valued by my team, who have been continuously invested in my growth both personally and professionally.

Overall, I think that if the corporate culture fits your personality style and you absolutely love League of Legends or creating the best possible player experience, then this is the absolute best place to work. It's often a demanding job, but it more than repays what you put into it with a rewarding career.

Cons

This job will definitely take up more of your time than is average, but if you truly love what you're doing it will be worth it and you'll want to stay. There is often encouragement to try to improve home-work balance but often it isn't adhered to because of how much work is going on. There's no one who is making you stay, but there is definitely pressure to do so given that it's the norm.

Many times, careers at Riot are self-dictated from the beginning. Especially in busier and bigger departments, managers aren't going to hold your hand and figure out what exactly you should be doing. It requires a lot of flexibility and is very good for self-starters - but this isn't everyone. I think some people fall a bit to the wayside and aren't given enough direction.

Worked for Riot Games? Contribute to the Community!