Riot Games

Riot Games Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014

Riot Games CEO Brandon Beck

Brandon Beck

Pros:
  • "League of Legends is in an addictive genre, and Riot leverages this by focusing intensely on player service"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Riot lives the mission of trying to be the most player focused game company in the world"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Riot goes on about work/life balance, but they don't tell you what they consider acceptable"
    in 21 reviews
  • "The cost of living in Santa Monica / West LA is ludicrous"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Empowering culture that provides opportunities for talent to take control of their career

Talent Programs Specialist (Current Employee)
    Santa Monica, CA

ProsRiot Games believes in the talent that they let through their door by empowering them to pursue what they are passionate about. They encourage you to find a project that aligns with your career aspirations and adds value to our players. While I've heard this at previous points in my career, I have never worked at a company that truly put this into practice. They trust that every Rioter is highly competent and capable and allow them the freedom to take on short term productivity losses for long term development gains.

ConsWhile embracing this entrepreneurial culture was energizing for myself, I can empathize with personalities who do not like having to find their own opportunities. Riot is a very unique place to work and it requires a person to be very self-aware of whether or not they are truly happy working in an environment like this. Riot does recognize this and provides candidates and new Rioters an opportunity to get a taste of the culture and see if it is a fit for them. The difficulty lies in whether or not an individual can make an accurate evaluation in a timely fashion without being distracted by the fun, exciting, and playful nature that is working at Riot.

A place to be proud of

Santa Monica, CA

ProsWorking at Riot has been one of the best decisions I ever made.

I'm consistently challenged but don't feel overwhelmed.

I look forward to coming to work and being around talented, passionate people.

Great gaming hardware.

Video game (play) fund.

Benefits.

Personal & professional development.

People care.

Being surrounded by gamers means I can completely be myself.

ConsThings can be slow to move, often times Rioters will take on too much work resulting in slow deliveries.

The office (for now) is spread apart enough that you are consistently late to meetings due to transit.

Internal comm/information centers feel frankensteined and ad hoc, often times you have to go to multiple internal locations to get information you need. Most likely resulting in you asking the person next to you for the answer.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep hiring gamers! It's in our DNA and what makes this place amazing.

Keep caring! It's contagious at every level and it's what makes this place feel genuine.

Be transparent about work/life balance and what our opinion/perspective is.

fun place to work - run by gamers for gamers

Prosmultitude of great benefits
    freedom to work
    freedom of time
    flexible hours/days/holidays

Cons- can be chaotic at time
    - westside location very family unfriendly (especially on a budget)

Advice to Senior Managementyou are doing great

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I would be the first to admit that I've drunk the kool-aid, but it tastes delicious.

Creative Services (Current Employee)
    Sydney (Australia)

ProsYou know that feeling you get when you first start a new job? The excitement mixed with moments of cringe-worthy awkwardness? It usually lasts a couple of months – sometimes as long as six months – but eventually the new-car smell fades and you get nice and comfy in your new job.

That doesn't happen at Riot. I've been here for a whisker short of a year and it never slows down.

For me personally, working at Riot is my dream job. I have always been a gamer and to work for a company I admire has been amazing.

That said; you should really be sure Riot is the place for you by researching the culture as much as you can. It's laid back but all about high-performance. You'll be asked to live outside of your comfort zone and have no one pushing you to do well, rather you will be given the trust to want to excel. If you wait for someone to tell you to do something around here then you are doing it wrong.

The Oceania branch of Riot is also a little different to the rest of the world. We're a smaller team and looking to grow, so while you have access to all the resources of the mother-ship in North America, there are countless situations where you'll be wearing lots of different hats and improvising to get things done.
    It's very startup-esque here.

We are always trying to get things done without the benefit of big sprawling teams. Personally I love that, as it makes us able to be flexible and we can make things happen, but that kind of environment isn't everyone's cup of tea.

The perks are also pretty crazy, but if that's the reason you're coming on board then I would do some soul-searching first. The writing on the wall about trying to become the most player-focused company around isn't just a slogan – we live it. The culture here is much like a sporting team, everyone is mates with one another, but it's also about putting the runs on the board.

As an example, this is the first place I have ever worked where there are so many high performers in the room that it can be a struggle just to keep up. This should excite you into wanting to level up and be a part of that. I have learnt more working at Riot in less than a year than I did in 3 years at my previous role. This place teaches you so much about yourself and challenges you to improve and to want to grow.

The food is good too.

ConsI think the biggest piece of advice I can say about Riot OCE is that you aren't signing up for a 9-to-5. There are calls for volunteers to run things like eSports programs on weekends and it's frowned upon to not step up. That said; if you have a child you will never miss a school play/sporting event/etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementRiot is pretty big on having an open feedback culture. If I had advice to give to senior management that I hadn't already given, something would be seriously up.

A high energy place to grow

Product Manager (Current Employee)
    Santa Monica, CA

ProsFlat organization allows for significant initiative
    Gamer/nerd/geek culture creates a lighthearted atmosphere
    Make a significant impact to MILLIONS of players every patch!

ConsStill a maturing company so many processes are in need of development
    Flat organization also means lots of uncertainty in execution

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more "themes" for the company as a whole to bind teams together
    Be more conscious of process

I look forward to work every day.

Santa Monica, CA

ProsYou have the ability to work with any team or plug in to the company in teams outside your discipline. Nothing impedes your success but you. You get to interact with the players and community from the start and know you are making a positive impact. Work is full of the good feels everyday. We truly live our manifesto. Riot's corporate integrity is beyond admirable.

ConsThe business side, like accounts payable, legal and purchasing operate in a black box and provides no visibility. If you have to work with external vendors their teams are not clear with the process or helpful and you have to apologize to vendors all the time with little to no power to make things better.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not hire non-culture fits just to fill the position with someone who can do the job - it does more long term harm than good for everyone.

Tough but very fair

QA Leadership (Current Employee)
    Santa Monica, CA

ProsFreedom to work on numerous projects. Significant autonomy. Flexible hours. Excellent facilities. Pushed to grow both professionally and personally. Great compensation. Really great benefits packages!
    The leadership here is amazing, if you understand what they are trying to do. This isn't a corporate atmosphere, and it shows in everything we do.

ConsDifficult work/life balance for some people. Santa Monica is quite expensive. Some people may find it difficult to maintain their drive in the face of continuous development. Many date driven events lead to stressful releases. fairly outspoken fans can be difficult to deal with.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome management are a bit difficult to approach due to their somewhat 'alpha' personalities. They are great at their jobs, but having to talk to them can be a bit of a stressful moment.

Today is my 3 year anniversary in Riot and I'm still in love with the company as it was the first day... probably more!

Country Manager (Current Employee)
    Sydney (Australia)

Pros- Culture & Values: is a company run by gamers and we base every decision thinking "what I would want from a company in this case?"
    - Passion: again, being gamers is almost everybody's dream to work for a gaming company. But also everyone is passionate about their area of expertise.
    - Empowerment: you are encouraged to do what you think is good for the players. No long approval process, no useless discussion... No HQ vs local office... we are raw in the same direction.
    - Learning & Development: you don't get to where Riot is today without great people. Every day I learn something new from them!
    - Working on the best game in the world: this is probably bias because I've been playing / loving LOL since Season 1 but helping Riot making LOL even better is a honour for me.
    - Opportunities: I started in the EU office and for personal reason I couldn't work there any more and I was offered the opportunity to work in the Australian office.
    - Perks: Don't want to list them all but some of the cool one are: game allowance, breakfast and lunches, flexible hours and very competitive salaries.

ConsNothing I can think of, as said, I feel like I'm still in my honeymoon phase.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up with the good work!

This is the greatest place I have ever worked.

Associate Sound Designer (Current Employee)
    Santa Monica, CA

ProsOpen PTO, Riot Play Fund, great work space, amazing work space, fantastic people, ... the list goes on and on. It's also located in Santa Monica, which is one of my favorite places.

ConsOnly thing I could say is that it takes a long time to get things done here. You've gotta push hard to get the simplest things going.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrientation is a little long if you ask me. Most people want to get started, and the 6 day orientation could have been condensed to 3 days. That's really all I got though. For the most part they are doing a great job.

Flag Review
    Riot Games Program Manager responded to this review Jun 27, 2014 EditDelete
    Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm with the team responsible for making sure that orientation (aka denewbification) is an excellent experience for every new Rioter. As a team, we'll huddle on your
    ... More

Building excellence

Santa Monica, CA

ProsReally awesome culture with a great desire to build a world-class, global organization

ConsShortage of senior leaders, and many inexperienced managers creates some headaches, but managed really well. A lot of challenges are those expected for a global organization in experiencing hyper growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe kind to your senior leaders. They're stretched thin, and their heart is in the right place.

Worked for Riot Games? Contribute to the Community!

Riot Games – Why Work for Us?

We aspire to be the most player-focused game company in the world. Riot Games was established in 2006 by a couple of entrepreneurial gamers who believe player-focused game development can result in awesome games. In… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Riot Games reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Riot Games CEO Brandon Beck. All 135 reviews posted anonymously by Riot Games employees.