Rise Interactive Reviews

Reset
4.0
Rise Interactive Founder & CEO Jon Morris
Jon Morris

Pros
  • You will learn a ton about digital marketing (in 5 reviews)

• Most of the people working in the trenches are intelligent, genuine and extremely hard-working that I would be proud to work with again (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits are strictly mediocre compared to other agencies of the same size/standing in the marketplace and work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• All these talented people are leaving (in 4 reviews)

1. Valuable Digital Strategy Intern Experience

Former Intern - Digital Strategy Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Digital Strategy Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rise Interactive as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Rise had a great 2 week training program for interns and also offered short supplemental training sessions along the way that were open to all employees. Human resources was great to work with, senior management was accessible, reasonable, and open to development.

Cons

Sometimes the Digital Strategy team was so busy that I had to work hard to create interesting projects and assignments for myself. I also continued to work with the Digital Strategy team remotely after the internship ended, but due to internal restructuring they did not take me back the next summer, even though I had gone out of my way to provide a lot of services.

2. Challenging and motivating

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rise Interactive (More than a year)

Pros

You can tell there is a focus on improving almost every area of the company - culture, processes, leadership, benefits, work-life balance. It seems like a lot of the suggestions are put into effect as soon as possible.

Cons

It's challenging - the level of expectations/intensity of work is hard, as if we're always going up the rollercoaster... but the opportunity for bigger impact on the company and career growth opportunities makes it worth it.

Advice to Management

If there was an online community in which to share or meet new hires, that could help as the teams continue to grow. This could help ensure a vibrant culture while the company continues its aggressive growth in the company years.

Executive Project Administrator

Current Employee - Executive Project Administrator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Executive Project Administrator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rise Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is so much opportunity to learn. It is definitely "trial by fire" but I actually prefer that way since it weeds out those who don't want to be here. Everyone is incredibly intelligent, something that tends to be a rarity in the workplace. People work hard and are very dedicated to their craft. There is a lot of opportunity to explore other channels within the agency too. Management is determined to keep what good people they have; so if someone is unhappy in one channel, they encourage exploration and professional growth in the myriad of other channels.

Cons

Sometimes you have to do things that you didn't sign up for. Although I begrudged those experiences at the time, I found they helped me to develop character and added to my personal growth by going through them. My resume is not lacking for things to brag about now.

Advice to Management

I was nervous when I first started a year ago that we weren't choosing the right clients and when people were leaving, but your transparency and effort to change in recent months show employees the clear pathway for the organization. Because of that, I definitely see continued success in the coming years.

5. I am analytical, self motivated, and hungry to learn and I fit right in at Rise.

I have been working at Rise Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to control my own destiny as the company has big plans to grow. Smart, dedicated employees get rewarded on consistent basis. Rise is not satisfied with its current state and Leadership is committed to providing cutting edge digital marketing solutions for its clients.

Cons

Rise consistently hires inexperienced digital marketers who they will train. Sometimes team members are asked to do more than they are ready to do in the short run.

Advice to Management

Management has invested in employee engagement surveys and comp surveys. Listen to the results and things will take care of themselves.

Don't Waste Your Time

Current Employee - Channel Svcs/Accounts Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Channel Svcs/Accounts Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rise Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Young workforce gets along well.

Cons

C-Level VPs are new to the company. Inexperienced and not from the industry. Revolving door. Interview loads of candidates just to ferret out ideas from them. Don't fall for the trap. As another reviewer stated - run, run, run. Don't even think twice. No work-life balance at all!

Advice to Management

Act with integrity, if you even know what that means. Don't waste people's time with your BS.

Feel treated like a resource, not an asset

Former Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rise Interactive full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Coworkers - Casual atmosphere - Free snacks - Game room, if you're into that kind of thing - Solid training, I suppose, if you're new to the industry - Great downtown location - Beer Friday, but what agency doesn't have that

Cons

I'll admit it, when I decided to join Rise I was swayed by all the things listed above. Brand new downtown office, stocked kitchen with a regular fridge and a beer fridge, laid back atmosphere, a good set of coworkers, a chance to get valuable experience in a potentially exciting industry. I thought, eh, it might not pay that well, but maybe I won't completely hate work everyday. Maybe, if I prove my worth and stick around for a little while, I can get all these things and also get paid. Well, that's not exactly how it works at Rise. You see, there are two main issues with the concept above. One, you do hate going to work everyday when you work at Rise. And two, you will never be paid what you are worth. The Executives at Rise (aka the CEO and his buddies) like to convey a few central themes during their numerous company meetings; 1) Rise is kicking ass and taking names and everything is just dandy so no one worry about anything, 2) Everything is awesome because you employees are so awesome and talented and you work great as part of a team and you have so much room for growth within this company so let’s stick together and side by side we will win forever, and 3) We know it’s a little weird that 3 employees left in the last week but just know we care about you and want what’s best for you and you guys are the most important thing in the whole wide company, so if you ever need anything, anything at all, feel free to ask at anytime. The first couple of times you hear this spiel you don’t think much of it. You think, “I’m new here. I don’t know what’s really going on. People look happy. Everything is fine. I’m fine here. Everything is going according to plan.” But than it keeps coming and coming and coming, and you think, “Maybe people aren’t that happy. Something does seem a little off. All these talented people are leaving. Our clients do kind of suck. I don’t really know what the executives do with their time. I’m not making as much as I should. And I’m working way longer hours than I need to.” And finally, “Welp, I’m definitely not happy here.” Trust me, the words might be different but this happens to almost everyone. Some suck it up and keep working, others start interviewing, while many just quit to get out of there. But in reality, almost everyone who gets hired at an entry-level position goes through this at some point. It’s really hard to peg the nucleus of my unpleasant experience at Rise on one thing in particular, but if I had to, if there was one thing that I thought was the root of all things unpleasant about my experience, it would definitely be the executives. Broad, yes, but accurate, also yes. You see, the executives don’t really know what they’re doing. I’m not going to name names, so I’ll treat them all as one, but in reality some are worse than others. I understand it’s a start-up, and a lot of things are “learn on the fly” type things, but this group seems particularly bad at learning on the fly. In particular, they can’t for the life of them figure out how to make happy employees and retain their talent. They give us everything; game room, free snacks, Keurig, happy hours, beer friday, Christmas gifts. How on earth are the employees unhappy? Do they need 2 iPads each next year? Would another catered lunch do the trick? I’m rambling, so I think it’s time I get to the thesis. The executives don’t realize it, but they treat us like expendable resources. Sure, they put on this show that each of us is a vital asset to a successful company, but in reality they want to squeeze as much work as possible out of each of us before we inevitably leave and they hire someone new. Give employees a little more stuff, and postpone their breaking point for that much longer. Feed them a little more food, and prolong the façade that everyone at Rise is happy. As long as employee gripe is kept to a minimum, everything is fine (WARNING: when employee gripe isn’t kept to a minimum, a completely irrational and ill-advised firing may occur). The executives are so enamored with the idea of high employee morale, that I am sure they frequent glassdoor and monitor every review and are going to try long and hard to figure out who wrote this. They’ll certainly have the time for it, because after spending an extended period of time there I still have no clue what they do with their time, what value they bring to the table, or how they are at all qualified for the positions they are in. But bring up any issues you have with the executive team to HR, and they’ll thank you for your input and do absolutely nothing at all to change anything. Because, in the end, the executive team is the one making decisions. Long story short, I didn’t have a good experience at Rise. I don’t see the company going anywhere under current leadership, and I don’t see leadership changing anytime soon. If it does, that’s a different story, but based on experience, what is going to happen is your frustrations will build as time goes on and on and after a while you will realize you’ve just wasted A LOT of valuable time. P.S. (for the executives): I know how to improve employee morale. It’s really simple. Keep throwing stuff at them if you want, it is appreciated. But MUCH more importantly, make sure your employees feel as if they are being fairly compensated, and get rid of this whole time tracking obsession and 50/hr week standard. There is no better way to drain morale then to underpay and overwork. P.P.S.: I left out a lot of things. Just know that I am extremely happy with my decision to leave Rise, and everyone else I’ve talked to who has also left has said the exact same thing. tl (1098 words, sorry);dr – Executives are incompetent and without realizing it are creating a morale draining environment.

Advice to Management

- Restructure and bring in more qualified people to lead the company - Actually offer competitive salaries instead of just saying you offer competitive salaries when in reality you do not offer competitive salaries - Set the norm for employees to leave the office at 5 if they are done working for the day, instead of making them feel guilty because other employees still have work to do

Run while you still can

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rise Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees The experience (you don't really have a choice though, you're thrown to the sharks immediately upon starting)

Cons

Incompetent clients Small client budgets Even more incompetent executive team Horrible work/life balance Inadequate compensation (aka little to nothing)

Advice to Management

I think the most important question to ask during an interview is how long have you been with the company? The max answer you’ll receive from a manager at Rise Interactive is two years, and even that’s ANCIENT in Rise years. There is only one manager I worked with who still works at Rise since I recently left the company. One. This isn’t because the employees aren’t hardworking or diligent. It’s because there is no room to move up in the company at the management level unless you marry into the CEO’s family or are his best friend from home (oops I just said the one thing that everyone thinks about all the time). The problem? The executive team. Bravo to the author of the most recent post, it couldn’t be more spot on regarding the Executive team. Even now they’re probably reading this glassdoor post and hosting a company-wide meeting to address these comments that are all too true. They will say the exact same thing that they always say during these meetings: “The reason we keep work costs so low is so YOU all get more in your Christmas bonuses!!!” and “You’re all the BEST because you passed an analytics test that I most definitely could never pass!!” You know it’s true current Rise employees, and you’ve said it many a times before (just behind the Executive team’s back). The solution? Stop glorifying all of your PR ‘awards’ that you paid for AND that no one has even heard of AND that only the Executive team voted for multiple times a day (in response to the previous post that’s what they do with their time). Glorify the hardworking employees that will all eventually leave in a month or two. To say that 50+ hour work weeks are ‘typical’ of the industry is just a bold face lie. I’ve been happily working at another agency for about a month now and the difference between the two companies is night and day. People actually leave at 5:00 pm. People are happy and have extremely positive one on one relationships with upper management. There is room to grow within your role and work on multiple projects to expand your knowledge of the digital space. The conclusion? You could not pay me to go back and work for Rise Interactive and I could not recommend this company as a work place for even my worst enemy. Ps If it was possible to rate the below as 0 stars I would have but you have to select at least one :/

Internet Marketing Intern

Current Intern - Internet Marketing Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Intern - Internet Marketing Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rise Interactive as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual Smart People Passionate About Advertising Flat Organizational Structure

Cons

Unpaid Intern, but work full time

A focus on training and extremely ambitious standards of success produces exceptional client results and skilled staff.

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rise Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Rise provides a myriad of training opportunities and encourages growth in multiple channels, even outside my general job responsibilities. -I'm provided a ton of independence in my job responsibilities and a lot of leverage over the decisions in my day to day activities. -I'm never left with a lull in my day. There is always something to be accomplished or improved and I'm encouraged to stretch myself and am rewarded for initiative. -Rise culture rewards employees with quarterly Happy hour events at unique locations through the city and irreverant parties several times per year where everyone can unwind.

Cons

-Hours can be long, 50 hours encouraged per week. But on the other hand, they live up to their work hard, play harder motto by giving back to their employees many parties and flexibility on time off.

Advice to Management

Being present and engaged with every level of your employees is one of your greatest strengths. Keep it up. To build on this success, try and be more transparent, possibly with a monthly Executive update sharing some successes and failures, along with how you've learned from them as an executive. Some insight into the advancement criteria would be appreciated as well. More Impromptu "Thank You" interactions with the teams and team based personal acknowledgement of the exceptional quality of work your teams are producing would go a long way toward investing employees further in both their own success, and that of the company as well.

Rise Interactive is the ‘…And More!’ of companies

I have been working at Rise Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Rise Interactive is not easy. In fact, it’s challenging. When I was applying for jobs, I wasn’t thinking, “I want a job where I can spend my days bored and uninspired.” No – when you’re looking for a career, a job, or the opportunity of a lifetime: you want the challenge, the culture, the flexibility, the career, the opportunities. You want to make an impact, and more. At Rise Interactive you get that. And more! The expectations are high. The feedback from managers or executives can be direct but with purpose, always coming from a place of “let’s do this together” or “I know you can do this.” That’s where the ‘and more!’ comes in. You can do the ‘And More!’ when working at Rise. Working at Rise has allowed my team and me to try out different ways of doing what some companies view as ‘administrative’ or a support role. In fact, my team allows me to think about how I can make an impact, and make an impact differently. The executives and managers challenge me to think more like an Internet Marketing Consultant, or an Analyst, or a Subject Matter Expert, rather than a support service of the firm. I am challenged to have a voice, and I am given the opportunity to own my decisions. I get to go home and say, “wow. I learned a lot today.” That is why I like working at Rise. I am challenged and I do it alongside great people. Speaking of the people: I can see that our consultants, analysts, subject matter experts get that same motivation. The ‘and more!’ comes to those who take on that challenge. Our industry moves fast, and Rise Interactive wants to be ahead. As a small private agency we have to work better, work smarter, and more! Digital marketing and web analytics isn’t just fast, it changes.....and it changes quickly. Being an employee at Rise for over a year, this is not just the Kool-Aid talking. A career at Rise Interactive is going to push you, challenge you and your team, but when you get there, you can accomplish all of that, and more.

Cons

Rise is still a growing company and getting it's footing in some areas, but what else would you expect from a self-sustained startup?

Advice to Management

Keep the goals and expectations high. Humility and small acts of recognition go a long way Never let us run out of Skinny Pop.

RSS Feed </> Embed