Rise Interactive

3.2

Rise Interactive Founder & CEO Jon Morris
Jon Morris

Senior Leadership Making Positive Changes

Pros

Prior to joining Rise Interactive, I spent multiple years at a Fortune 50 company and time at one of the largest agency networks. This afforded me a unique perspective, providing me with experience on both the brand and agency side. I held multiple roles at these organizations and saw success and recognition throughout my career.

I’ve been at Rise for almost a year and have been very grateful for my experience so far. I’ve come into a team and an organization that has challenged me, rewarded me, and made me grow more as a contributor than I had in the multiple years preceding this experience. I have seen the leadership team step up, take accountability, and make changes so that each employee can come into work every day and know that their opinion and their work is valued and that they are being heard. I have continually been impressed by the amount of thoughtfulness that has been put into decisions, the depth of which may not always be understood by those who haven’t had previous work experience or are new to the workforce.

Rise is not a place for the weak-hearted, but it is a place where you are respected, valued, and rewarded if you’re a high performer. From my first interaction with Rise, to almost every day since, I am reminded that we are growing and creating and achieving remarkable things, and as our CEO says, that requires remarkable people. There is no room for complacency and I respect that transparency and candidness. Work hard, play hard rings true here. I’m surrounded by some of the smartest, hardest working people and am continuously motivated to do better for myself and for Rise. If you are intelligent, willing to work hard, and have a positive attitude, you’ll find a home here. If you’re not, or you can’t handle that, then you’ll want to pursue an alternate path.

Cons

You get out what you put in

Don't Waste Your Time

Current Employee - Channel Svcs/Accounts Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Channel Svcs/Accounts Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Young workforce gets along well.

Cons

C-Level VPs are new to the company. Inexperienced and not from the industry. Revolving door.
    Interview loads of candidates just to ferret out ideas from them. Don't fall for the trap.
    As another reviewer stated - run, run, run. Don't even think twice.
    No work-life balance at all!

Act with integrity, if you even know what that means. Don't waste people's time with your BS.

Feel treated like a resource, not an asset

Former Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Chicago, IL

Pros

- Coworkers
    - Casual atmosphere
    - Free snacks
    - Game room, if you're into that kind of thing
    - Solid training, I suppose, if you're new to the industry
    - Great downtown location
    - Beer Friday, but what agency doesn't have that

Cons

I'll admit it, when I decided to join Rise I was swayed by all the things listed above. Brand new downtown office, stocked kitchen with a regular fridge and a beer fridge, laid back atmosphere, a good set of coworkers, a chance to get valuable experience in a potentially exciting industry. I thought, eh, it might not pay that well, but maybe I won't completely hate work everyday. Maybe, if I prove my worth and stick around for a little while, I can get all these things and also get paid.

Well, that's not exactly how it works at Rise. You see, there are two main issues with the concept above. One, you do hate going to work everyday when you work at Rise. And two, you will never be paid what you are worth.

The Executives at Rise (aka the CEO and his buddies) like to convey a few central themes during their numerous company meetings; 1) Rise is kicking ass and taking names and everything is just dandy so no one worry about anything, 2) Everything is awesome because you employees are so awesome and talented and you work great as part of a team and you have so much room for growth within this company so let’s stick together and side by side we will win forever, and 3) We know it’s a little weird that 3 employees left in the last week but just know we care about you and want what’s best for you and you guys are the most important thing in the whole wide company, so if you ever need anything, anything at all, feel free to ask at anytime.

The first couple of times you hear this spiel you don’t think much of it. You think, “I’m new here. I don’t know what’s really going on. People look happy. Everything is fine. I’m fine here. Everything is going according to plan.” But than it keeps coming and coming and coming, and you think, “Maybe people aren’t that happy. Something does seem a little off. All these talented people are leaving. Our clients do kind of suck. I don’t really know what the executives do with their time. I’m not making as much as I should. And I’m working way longer hours than I need to.” And finally, “Welp, I’m definitely not happy here.” Trust me, the words might be different but this happens to almost everyone. Some suck it up and keep working, others start interviewing, while many just quit to get out of there. But in reality, almost everyone who gets hired at an entry-level position goes through this at some point.

It’s really hard to peg the nucleus of my unpleasant experience at Rise on one thing in particular, but if I had to, if there was one thing that I thought was the root of all things unpleasant about my experience, it would definitely be the executives. Broad, yes, but accurate, also yes.

You see, the executives don’t really know what they’re doing. I’m not going to name names, so I’ll treat them all as one, but in reality some are worse than others. I understand it’s a start-up, and a lot of things are “learn on the fly” type things, but this group seems particularly bad at learning on the fly. In particular, they can’t for the life of them figure out how to make happy employees and retain their talent. They give us everything; game room, free snacks, Keurig, happy hours, beer friday, Christmas gifts. How on earth are the employees unhappy? Do they need 2 iPads each next year? Would another catered lunch do the trick?

I’m rambling, so I think it’s time I get to the thesis. The executives don’t realize it, but they treat us like expendable resources. Sure, they put on this show that each of us is a vital asset to a successful company, but in reality they want to squeeze as much work as possible out of each of us before we inevitably leave and they hire someone new. Give employees a little more stuff, and postpone their breaking point for that much longer. Feed them a little more food, and prolong the façade that everyone at Rise is happy. As long as employee gripe is kept to a minimum, everything is fine (WARNING: when employee gripe isn’t kept to a minimum, a completely irrational and ill-advised firing may occur).

The executives are so enamored with the idea of high employee morale, that I am sure they frequent glassdoor and monitor every review and are going to try long and hard to figure out who wrote this. They’ll certainly have the time for it, because after spending an extended period of time there I still have no clue what they do with their time, what value they bring to the table, or how they are at all qualified for the positions they are in. But bring up any issues you have with the executive team to HR, and they’ll thank you for your input and do absolutely nothing at all to change anything. Because, in the end, the executive team is the one making decisions.

Long story short, I didn’t have a good experience at Rise. I don’t see the company going anywhere under current leadership, and I don’t see leadership changing anytime soon. If it does, that’s a different story, but based on experience, what is going to happen is your frustrations will build as time goes on and on and after a while you will realize you’ve just wasted A LOT of valuable time.

P.S. (for the executives): I know how to improve employee morale. It’s really simple. Keep throwing stuff at them if you want, it is appreciated. But MUCH more importantly, make sure your employees feel as if they are being fairly compensated, and get rid of this whole time tracking obsession and 50/hr week standard. There is no better way to drain morale then to underpay and overwork.

P.P.S.: I left out a lot of things. Just know that I am extremely happy with my decision to leave Rise, and everyone else I’ve talked to who has also left has said the exact same thing.

tl (1098 words, sorry);dr – Executives are incompetent and without realizing it are creating a morale draining environment.

- Restructure and bring in more qualified people to lead the company
    - Actually offer competitive salaries instead of just saying you offer competitive salaries when in reality you do not offer competitive salaries
    - Set the norm for employees to leave the office at 5 if they are done working for the day, instead of making them feel guilty because other employees still have work to do

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Run while you still can

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Analyst  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Analyst in Chicago, IL

Pros

The employees
    The experience (you don't really have a choice though, you're thrown to the sharks immediately upon starting)

Cons

Incompetent clients
    Small client budgets
    Even more incompetent executive team
    Horrible work/life balance
    Inadequate compensation (aka little to nothing)

I think the most important question to ask during an interview is how long have you been with the company? The max answer you’ll receive from a manager at Rise Interactive is two years, and even that’s ANCIENT in Rise years. There is only one manager I worked with who still works at Rise since I recently left the company. One. This isn’t because the employees aren’t hardworking or diligent. It’s because there is no room to move up in the company at the management level unless you marry into the CEO’s family or are his best friend from home (oops I just said the one thing that everyone thinks about all the time).

The problem?
    The executive team. Bravo to the author of the most recent post, it couldn’t be more spot on regarding the Executive team. Even now they’re probably reading this glassdoor post and hosting a company-wide meeting to address these comments that are all too true. They will say the exact same thing that they always say during these meetings: “The reason we keep work costs so low is so YOU all get more in your Christmas bonuses!!!” and “You’re all the BEST because you passed an analytics test that I most definitely could never pass!!” You know it’s true current Rise employees, and you’ve said it many a times before (just behind the Executive team’s back).

The solution?
    Stop glorifying all of your PR ‘awards’ that you paid for AND that no one has even heard of AND that only the Executive team voted for multiple times a day (in response to the previous post that’s what they do with their time). Glorify the hardworking employees that will all eventually leave in a month or two. To say that 50+ hour work weeks are ‘typical’ of the industry is just a bold face lie. I’ve been happily working at another agency for about a month now and the difference between the two companies is night and day. People actually leave at 5:00 pm. People are happy and have extremely positive one on one relationships with upper management. There is room to grow within your role and work on multiple projects to expand your knowledge of the digital space.

The conclusion?
    You could not pay me to go back and work for Rise Interactive and I could not recommend this company as a work place for even my worst enemy.

Ps If it was possible to rate the below as 0 stars I would have but you have to select at least one :/

Fool me once...and that's enough.

Pros

Most of the people working in the trenches are intelligent, genuine and extremely hard-working that I would be proud to work with again. They provide free booze to numb the pain of the never-ending grind...but only on Fridays.

Cons

To put it bluntly, this company was a complete waste of time. The salary offerings are pathetic, to say the least, and when broken down to an hourly rate, are far less than Chicago's $8.25/hr minimum wage. Benefits are strictly mediocre compared to other agencies of the same size/standing in the marketplace and work/life balance...well, let's just say "balance" is not a word recognized, defined or used in this company.

Leadership warrants a new paragraph of sole dedication. It truly amazed me, and still does after being long gone, that these so-called "leaders" are still imparting their "wisdom" and "knowledge" on anyone in the business. None, and I mean N-O-N-E, of these executives know a thing about driving a successful digital marketing agency to become one of the best in the industry. They may want to start paying better attention to real make-or-break things, like improving company morale and hiring valuable, experienced talent that will stick around for longer than 6 months (your Finance buddies do not equate to value, either). You may also want to consider the following: Force-feeding your employees empty promises of fake unity and support does not make up for the low pay, worse hours and general bologna these people have to deal with every day. To end on a high note, ANY executive at ANY company who truly believes that a 360 review process is not necessary or appropriate is a complete fool. You deserve to get an honest review just like the rest of your minions, but then again, even if you did open yourself up to that idea, you'd probably react with the standard denial protocol that seems to be a prerequisite for those at the top, rendering the process entirely useless. Speaking of pre-reqs, is it completely necessary that you ALL be related to the CEO, let alone each other? I digress...

Overall, I have no intention of giving this company or it's "leaders" another thought or glance in their direction. As far as I know, the grass is definitely greener...

You are your own worst enemies. Try focusing on the people who make your company what it is, not the ones who are consistently driving into the ground.

Internet Marketing Intern

Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Chicago, IL

Pros

Casual
    Smart People
    Passionate About Advertising
    Flat Organizational Structure

Cons

Unpaid Intern, but work full time

Don't cope with problems. Fix them.

Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant
    Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant

Pros

- High energy & fast-paced
    - They try to keep a fun culture (Ex. the game room -- but employees, except for execs, rarely have time to use it)
    - Great learning experience and training if you're starting out in internet marketing
    - The young employees

Cons

- Upper management is disconnected with rest of employees
    - Found some teams frequently worked much later nights than others, but pay was the essentially the same for Internet Marketing Consultants across the board. Very uneven.
    - Growing pains
    - The young employees

Upper management is unorganized and communication between teams is often cold and abrupt. You'll learn quickly and, for the most part, your coworkers will help you learn. So if this something you're looking for, I would suggest Rise.

Rise has plenty of talented people leave for larger agencies or other opportunities; unfortunately, this has become a trend. These talents are trained, tested, and taken through the grinder until they eventually find greener pastures.

Get to know your employees. Embody your culture. And be genuine about it.

Very client centered

Pros

A good place to learn about digital marketing skills including ppc, display, analytics etc. People are young and are willing to share.

Cons

A good place to start, not a good place to grow to a higher level

x

Pros

fast. the process didnt take long

Cons

hr person wasn't good at keeping track of time.

A focus on training and extremely ambitious standards of success produces exceptional client results and skilled staff.

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Analyst  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Analyst in Chicago, IL

Pros

-Rise provides a myriad of training opportunities and encourages growth in multiple channels, even outside my general job responsibilities.

-I'm provided a ton of independence in my job responsibilities and a lot of leverage over the decisions in my day to day activities.

-I'm never left with a lull in my day. There is always something to be accomplished or improved and I'm encouraged to stretch myself and am rewarded for initiative.

-Rise culture rewards employees with quarterly Happy hour events at unique locations through the city and irreverant parties several times per year where everyone can unwind.

Cons

-Hours can be long, 50 hours encouraged per week. But on the other hand, they live up to their work hard, play harder motto by giving back to their employees many parties and flexibility on time off.

Being present and engaged with every level of your employees is one of your greatest strengths. Keep it up. To build on this success, try and be more transparent, possibly with a monthly Executive update sharing some successes and failures, along with how you've learned from them as an executive. Some insight into the advancement criteria would be appreciated as well. More Impromptu "Thank You" interactions with the teams and team based personal acknowledgement of the exceptional quality of work your teams are producing would go a long way toward investing employees further in both their own success, and that of the company as well.

Worked for Rise Interactive? Contribute to the Community!