Risk Management Solutions

Updated Mar 14, 2014

Risk Management Solutions President Hemant Shah

Hemant Shah

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

challenging and exciting work environment

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time for less than a year

ProsLots going on in the company, new technology, new products and lots of change making the workplace a very dynamic and exciting environment. Work life balance is good and people are very smart, committed to the job and helpful to newcomers!

ConsThe unknown path of the new product sometimes mean it can be frustrating to understand where we are going. Sometimes the global nature of the firm can mean communication can be tricky.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing on for RMS(one) and make sure development pace continues!

Great place to work!!

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsFriendly and stimulating working environment. Very smart colleagues that share great ideas so that you constantly get an additional motivation. Innovative in the business, this is the place where the brillian ideas for the insurance market get implemented!

ConsWithin the flow of new ideas there is a natural selection so that many very interesting thing don't get implemented. Also within the large organization priorities and deadlines are not always clear.

an exciting place to be

London, England (UK)

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

Pros- great people committed to ambitious targets
- meritocratic organisation - smart people do well
- entrepreneurial, and willing to back good ideas
- technologically innovative, and now embracing the latest tech trends
- a real-world application grounded in science
- the nature of the business means quickly changing priorities, and therefore new challenges

Cons- if you don't like change, this is not the place for you
- company learns as it grows, so makes its fair share of mistakes

Advice to Senior Management- need more space in London!

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very ambitious company. This brings change and uncertainty but also provides interesting challenges and opportunities.

Senior Director (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

ProsRMS is at the forefront of science and technology. We have some of the leading experts in the world developing our catastrophe models, cloud computing leaders building out our own cloud infrastructure and client facing teams working closely with our primarily (re)insurance, and often quite conservative clients.

We are very ambitious in our plans, there is always change and this makes it an exciting and interesting place to work. There is a steep learning curve and while it can take some time for new starters to build up their domain knowledge, once they do, there is plenty of opportunity for career growth.

Poor reviews on this site are primarily from 1 or 2 teams in our California offices. Don't let this put you off!

ConsWe have very ambitious plans to bring disruptive software to the insurance market but this brings with it some challenges.

There can be cultural differences between different teams, it can be stressful at times because there is so much that we are trying to achieve and we are doing something that hasn't been done before. Different teams have different views on how things should be done, people are passionate about their work and senior people are often overloaded with work. These issues can lead to tension.

Some teams can be secretive about their work and there is not always a culture where information is shared and you can openly challenge what others are doing to ensure that the best decisions are being made.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing to improve transparency with our clients and build trusting relationships.

Ensure that input from the teams that closely engage with clients effectively makes its way to development.

Ensure that there is a culture of transparency and constructive challenge between teams.

From looking through the reviews on this site, it appears that there are some unhappy people in our development teams in California - looks like this needs attention.

Innovative company - great place to work for ambitious and pro-active people

Director (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time for more than 10 years

Pros- Very innovative and fast growing company which continues to push itself to retain its position as the best in the industry.

- Get to work with smart and interesting people.

- I struggle to think of many companies that would have provided me with the wealth of opportunities to develop my skills over such a wide range of areas. I have built catastrophe models, involved in post-event reconnaissance missions, suggested and designed new products, presented to 100s of clients and advise on the benefits of RMS(one).

ConsNo company is perfect.... There is frustration and delays can arise as many decisions (esp. around development) are made by teams in California who don’t have enough knowledge about the market needs. If they improved the communication, consulted and trusted the advice of client facing teams in the other offices earlier in the process, then would minimise the amount of re-work required.

Reading some of the other reviews, there is often an expectation at the graduate/analyst level that RMS will define your career path as you would often find at a very large company. At RMS it is up to the individual to really drive their career and make the most and/or create new opportunities for themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to work on cross-office and department collaboration - encourage all middle managers in California (no matter what department) to regularly visit client facing offices to build relationships with colleagues and understand the challenges they and our colleagues are facing.

Fantastic, nurturing environment, surrounded by bright, independent thought leaders.

Risk Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time for less than a year

ProsDiverse company working in scientific catastrophe modelling, capital markets, software and cloud technology. Many opportunities around the globe in a company that has grown immensely in recent years, with a permanent ambition to retain its spot as market leader.

ConsAt the moment it's not the most well-known company and it's hard to quite exactly explain what you and the company do. If you're looking to just be a number for BB or similar, this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work; the open, friendly nature of the firm's most senior staff is what really makes this a great place to work.

RMS surprised me. Given the size of the co I was expecting a 2 yr career but 4 yrs on & 2 promotions later Im still here

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsInteresting industry, innovative company with double digit growth, chance to work with bright award winning professionals in the scientific & tech field. Good global career opportunities.

ConsLike most companies RMS has its share of politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communications across groups

A forward thinking software company!

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros- Rapid corporate change for the better
- Forefront of technology
- Industry leader
- A lot of very talented individuals
- Exciting area to be involved in

ConsChange may be too rapid for some individuals. The company is evolving fast from its Risk Model base into a Software Vendor.

Advice to Senior ManagementA company going through re-organisation needs to maintain communication and understanding of organisational hierarchy and inter-team dynamics

Lovely people and a relaxed work atmosphere but few career development prospects

Risks Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsOpportunity to mix with some very bright, friendly bunch of people and on the whole this is probably one of the most exciting type of modelling work in insurance.
Salaries are decent but without the banking culture so work/life balance is surprisingly good.

ConsWork not challenging enough and this can be very frustrating, esp when you're expecting to make good use of your advanced degree. This is role-dependent but work needs to be better linked to skills to ensure staff feel challenged.

poor training, slow career progression, political office environment and zero knowledge share between teams

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Risk Management Solutions

ProsThe company has a great reputation in catastrophe risk modelling space; knowledge co-workers (depends on teams)

ConsSuper political: surprised to see how political this small company is.... communications among teams are always monitored... very pressured
Zero knowledge exchange between teams
Poor training quality: It is different from a few years ago, when decent trainings are given appropriately
The HR are on the management's side: HR is not impartial; instead, they work for the management. The HR team is untrustworthy.
High turnover rate

Worked for Risk Management Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Risk Management Solutions – Why Work for Us?

They said it couldn't be done. We thought otherwise. As a graduate student at Stanford, in the heart of earthquake country, I wrote a business plan to spin out university R&D and commercialize a computer model that… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Risk Management Solutions reviews and ratings in London, England — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Risk Management Solutions CEO Hemant Shah. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by Risk Management Solutions employees.