Risk Management Solutions

Risk Management Solutions Reviews in Newark, CA

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Risk Management Solutions President Hemant Shah

Hemant Shah

Pros
  • Good work life balance,ample growth opportunity if you are a self learner(in 15 reviews)

• meritocratic organisation - smart people do well(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Communication between the different groups/departments is poor(in 3 reviews)

• Very bad organization of different teams interacting with each other(in 3 reviews)

61 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The cleanup is starting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Newark, CA

ProsI think this was a great company when I worked there. Knowledge and morale have gone down quite a bit lately it seems, but overall I assume it's still a good place.

Good thing is: the cleanup of mediocre people is starting. CTO fired (quite a comical guy actually), marketing and product management are not far behind.

ConsHave too many good people already left? That is the important question now. Catastrophe modeling is not something you can just pick up in a year or so. Some of the smartest and hardest working people left because of now ex-CTO Philippe Stephan. Brain drain is hard to overcome. They can celebrate their HR people as much as they want on Linkedin, you won't find the experience you need easily.

Advice to Senior ManagementRight direction it seems. They even invited us alumni to have a meeting for the 25th anniversary. Guess they want us back. No thanks for now.

internship

Intern (Current Employee) Newark, CA

Prossmart people, interesting work, room to learn, good work-life balance (flexibility), great compensation for an internship

Consinterdepartmental communication is poor, sometimes intradepartmental communication can be frustrating with teams spread out across continents and with different priorities in different locations

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication and coherency between and within groups is important. It stresses everyone out and hurts productivity to have groups split focus (ex. product management is essentially two groups, one focusing on product development and the other on client-facing practices). It sounds like the company reorganizes a lot.

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Newark, CA

ProsCompany with great ideas. A very good opportunity for interns to learn new stuff and provide own ideas to the project. Instead of being given routine assignment, I get to arrange the project by myself and discuss with supervisors. Challenging work. Relatively high salary for interns. Good location to work at.

ConsToo quiet. Little communication between employees. Lack of teamwork between different teams and programs, although the characteristics of the product requires good collaboration and communication.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great learning experience.

Technical Writer (Former Employee) Newark, CA

ProsInteresting products to work on.

ConsToo much politics - disruptive to productivity and employee morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce ongoing changes in management . Disruptes projects and employee productivity.

Time to go?

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Newark, CA

ProsGreat and attractive benefits..there is the hook for incentives and motivation.
    Great story and history of the company and where it wants to go
    Great company with scientific modeling capabilities and well respected experts in fields of meteorology.

ConsTime for a reality check...Rms (N)One was a completely over ambitious gamble with no fall back plan and things are now going very wrong. Unfortunately, the same story of believing in the arrogance without any history of delivering products on time, and with any quality.. Is now haunting with very worrisome consequences.Over spending this time WILL catch up...what client will buy a product or service or a promise, why stick around with the prospect of more illusion?

Advice to Senior ManagementYou don't listen, so why would we expect you to change? This was a great company, is this what you wanted, Hemant?

Highly intelligent colleagues, supportive management, comfortable and challenging place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Newark, CA

ProsRMS has a great mission - to make the world a more resilient place. To achieve this, it has created a terrific business model that is very profitable. It provides a secure, stable environment with highly intelligent and talented colleagues. The work/life balance is real, not just a sales pitch - everyone starts with 20 days PTO plus 10 national holidays. People work hard, and there is stress (after all, it's WORK, not play), but it is very manageable compared to many organizations in Silicon Valley.

ConsAs with any growing organization, there are management challenges. The company sometimes lacks interdepartmental transparency and communication - a situation that leadership is addressing.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to hire the best and the brightest. Don't settle for mediocre hires even with scarce human resources.

Great company, right direction, many perks, and some problems

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Newark, CA

ProsOverall, the company is moving in the right direction regarding software development, though there are still problems. Flexible schedule. Free snacks. Free dinner every day. Free lunch once a week. Gym. Team outings are paid by the company.

ConsVery bad organization of different teams interacting with each other. One team blocked by another is a normal thing. Some approaches used during development of software are very questionable and bring a lot of hassle without any benefit.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some people experienced in software development to organize development processes. Teams constantly blocked is waste of company's money.

Senior individual contributor

Principal Architect (Current Employee) Newark, CA

ProsNobody 'phones it in'
    Smart people
    Market leader
    Building large distributed system - hard, fun
    Well managed financially
    Interesting domains (insurance - who knew?!)

ConsDev mgrs often stronger devs than mgrs
    Aggressive schedules risk burnout
    Inter-team communication/alignment needs improvement
    Design quality can suffer under deadline pressure

Advice to Senior ManagementCan't do everything at once - choose and communicate our business priorities. This is not the time to hedge our bets.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good place for learning modeling!

Modeler (Former Employee) Newark, CA

Prosa company with strong background in modeling, and many modeling professionals. The work environment is fun and challenging.

ConsMust be able to work independently

Politics politics & only politics

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Newark, CA

ProsOther than free Thursday lunch and free sodas I do not see any pros in this company

ConsSenior management very incapable to provide a vision to its people. The product management team has no clear idea of the product they want to make. The CTO kept on giving false updates to the higher management, and when the product was supposed to be delivered it was found that the product was not complete with lots and lots of bugs. In last 2 years the CTO has always given provided absolutely scripted demos to the client without exposing the bugs and issues of the application. This even cost his job in the end

Very average senior management and few senior SVPs believe in divide and rule policy. No cohesion between teams and each working to prove who is superior against the other. Absolute pandemonium and I wonder how few managers are software managers and not politicians !!!

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CEO is good a good man but he has no clues what is going inside. Fire few more senior management else the company is doomed

Worked for Risk Management Solutions? Contribute to the Community!