Risk Management Solutions

Risk Management Solutions Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Risk Management Solutions President Hemant Shah

Hemant Shah

Pros:
  • "Salaries are decent but without the banking culture so work/life balance is surprisingly good"
    in 11 reviews
  • "meritocratic organisation - smart people do well"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very high turnover with lots of the best people leaving - mostly due to bad management"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Diversity makes it hard to make friends outside of own ethnic group"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good place for learning modeling!

Modeler (Former Employee)

I worked at Risk Management Solutions as an intern for less than a year

Prosa company with strong background in modeling, and many modeling professionals. The work environment is fun and challenging.

ConsMust be able to work independently

Senior individual contributor

principal architect (Current Employee)
Newark, CA

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

ProsNobody 'phones it in'
Smart people
Market leader
Building large distributed system - hard, fun
Well managed financially
Interesting domains (insurance - who knew?!)

ConsDev mgrs often stronger devs than mgrs
Aggressive schedules risk burnout
Inter-team communication/alignment needs improvement
Design quality can suffer under deadline pressure

Advice to Senior ManagementCan't do everything at once - choose and communicate our business priorities. This is not the time to hedge our bets.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great company, smart people, opportunities for growth and making a meaningful impact to the business and society

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsVisionary CEO who is changing the industry
My manager is the best I've had in my career
Salary, bonus, stock, benefits and 20 days of PTO on your first day make a great package
Smart people and thought leaders on topics ranging from climate change to cloud

ConsCompany is moving fast and not everyone is up to the challenges that are taking place; many people have been here a long time and aren't comfortable with change.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time with employees in smaller groups - the company is still small enough to do this.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The good, the bad, and the ugly..

Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA majority of this depends on your manager

- A pretty fast pace work place and can learn and get things done depending on the size of your team and what you are involved in
- Can move up quickly if people above you leave or move to another group (which happens pretty often)
- You are given atonomy if you prove that you are an A+ employee
- Free snacks and drinks in the kitchens
- People in the company waste money like no other because there is no checks and balances, as long as your manager approves of it. (This can be a pro or con depending on how much you care about the company)
- If you are in with senior management, you are set and you can almost do whatever you want and not get fired.

Cons- The same work is done over and over and over again by different groups/people and is ultimately scrapped all together in the end which wastes everyone's time
- People move around all the time and generally are put in roles that they are not technically qualified for but since they know the right people, managers they turn a blind eye with regards to their technical skills
- People in middle management are there not because they were "promoted" but because people above them left. They are not given formal training which causes big issues in the end.
- There is not enough communication among different groups which causes information to be lost
- Compensation is way below average compared to the industry
- TOO MUCH POLITICS AT THE TOP!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementTalented people are leaving left and right and no one is really doing anything about it.. DO SOMETHING! Get your act together before everyone leaves.

Stop trying to set unachievable goals just to appease clients. Develop a backbone and learn to say no.

The next year will be ugly

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time

Prosambitious agenda and exciting work

Consneed to be more real about what can get done and what can't

This company is a joke.I have worked with some of the dumbest managers

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time for less than a year

ProsIt is really funny to listen to some of the managers in the meetings .You will find lots of frustrated engineers to cry with over this terrible company.

ConsThis is along list starting with the unethical practices in this company. The level of nepotism in this company is ridiculous.Really smart people have been pushed to leave the company over past years .This has left the company with highly incompetent people especially the managers.Especially the analytical dev group which is the core of the company has the worst software development practices . The manager has no idea about the product or technology.
The product is highly unstable because of bad design even amateurs do a better job at software development.
The interviews are made difficult to make it look like they have some interesting work but once you join you will be disappointed.The work is uninteresting for software developers ,difficult to transfers skills to other companies.In short join this company if you want to learn what not to do as a software engineer.
The company is full of contractors and many projects are outsourced as full time employees do not stick long with this company.
Do not trust the HR,they always make false promises during the recruitment.The work environment and work culture in this company is pathetic .long hours ,work on weekend .lot of blame game ,too much politics
I should have taken negative reviews seriously most of them are true but luckily I was able to move out of this company within 6 months of my joining , since many are stuck with this company since their skills are not marketable elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery person in the management right upto the CEO needs to be fired.

RMS is an exciting and fun place to work doing cool stuff with really smart people.

Vice President (Current Employee)
Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time for more than 10 years

ProsRMS has a special culture with a great proportion of the employees being extremely passionate and energetic. Being an innovative growth organization requires frequent change which is coupled with great career opportunities and growth. Those who are courageous enough to adapt quickly, seize these opportunities and bring fellow colleagues along can achieve great success.

ConsWith great passion for RMS and what we do it's sometimes difficult to switch off because its in my blood. But honestly, I'm grateful to be in a career that I enjoy at a company I'm proud to be a part of and have helped shape over the years. I'm thankful that I have been patient enough and smart enough to stick with RMS over the past 10+ years through the evolution of this organization and personally share in it's success.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate and acknowledge our employees as they are our greatest asset! Our employees are integral to our past current and future success.

The most deceiving company to work for!!!

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

ProsBetter to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. That is the only good thing here. If you can fly low enough to stay out of sight but get your work done you'll be fine. Don't expect anything in return!

ConsA family culture that has been destroyed by BS initiatives and new managers that seem to be brain washing the CEO, or maybe he has no idea because the company has grown like a wild fire with no standards or formal process. Every AHM is a pile of crap that doesn't mean anything to the pee-ons that actually work! Everything depends on how someone wakes up in the morning...

There is absolutely no loyalty at this company! If you are interviewing, ask how many people have left in the last 12 months and how long have they been with the company. That should be enough to tell you what kind of company you'll be getting in to if you decide.

I feel sorry for all the people putting in a lot of hard work this last 12 months and the coming 6 months. The sad thing is that there will be no pay out for you! Don't expect any significant bonuses for the next 2 years minimum! A certain group has sucked it all up...

Everything in the HQ office is so fake, it's nothing like any of the other offices. So if you don't have to work in CA it might be okay.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying and being deceitful, stop pretending to be an open book when your not. Stop hiding information. Stop thinking that the people under you can't figure out whats going on. Recognize everyone that works, not just your favorites!!

WORST COMPANY TO WORK!!!

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time

ProsGood food and good cafeteria. Nice ambiance, nice location, some people are really good specially older people. Gym is one of the best attraction and 30 days of paid vacation.

Constoo much politics, worst management, worst managers, worst HR, Worst executives. No chance of personal development!! Expects more work but not rewarded for hard work and extra hours!! Very painful to work there!! It was such a big humiliation by the team, managers, executives and HR. Wrong practices, accused so many times without any proofs!! Someday company can get sued by some employee. Very imperialistic approach, not a good place for a honest and sincere employee who doesn't know how to play politics and doesn't know any one. Favoritism is very high!IT is the worst affected dept, all executives are busy in playing politics and bringing own people from the past job.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your attitude and don't look for own benefits , look for employees benefits.

This is the worst company I ever worked for in my life.

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsYou get paid twice a month.

ConsIf you want diversity do not come to this company. Very unfair treatment to employees of different backgrounds. You do all the work and get no credit for work.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees become managers and directors based on the fact that they been at the company for a long time. Hire competent people to lead your company.

Worked for Risk Management Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Risk Management Solutions – Why Work for Us?

They said it couldn't be done. We thought otherwise. As a graduate student at Stanford, in the heart of earthquake country, I wrote a business plan to spin out university R&D and commercialize a computer model that… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Risk Management Solutions reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Risk Management Solutions CEO Hemant Shah. All 129 reviews posted anonymously by Risk Management Solutions employees.