Risk Management Solutions

Updated December 18, 2014
2.8

Risk Management Solutions President Hemant Shah
Hemant Shah

Pros
  • Good work life balance,ample growth opportunity if you are a self learner (in 20 reviews)

• There are lot of smart people here to work with (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Large iniative to roll out new flagship product RMS One, bombed in Apri 2014 (in 9 reviews)

• Should invest more heavily in product and model development to exceed client expectations (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Smart people trying to solve difficult problems

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Newark, CA

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation is good, and there have been improvements to work-life balance. Very smart people. There are opportunities to work in a more academic setting or business/client facing setting, depending on preference. The company is willing to let you find your interests and work with them.

Cons

There seems to be some mistrust between different organizations. While there is now a clear direction the company is headed, it took a long time to get that direction, and it is unclear if it's attainable.

Interesting work, autonomy, great people

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time

Pros

After working for both large corporations and start ups, RMS is a great size and a great fit for intelligent self-starters who are looking for interesting and meaningful work. RMS is looking to transform an industry that it helped to pioneer, which is no easy task and definitely comes with bumps along the way. However, the high caliber of the employees, level of independence and autonomy available, good compensation, and overall mission and goals of the company make RMS a great place to work.

Cons

There could be more clear and concise communication to employees, but this is something that the leadership team is clearly working on and has improved greatly over the last year. Additionally, the facilities, while quite nice, are not always competitive with many companies in silicon valley. If you can get over not having free food for every meal, the environment is still very good.

In tough times, remembering the importance of a strong culture and giving employees the opportunity to have some fun will go a long way (it might even more important than when everything is going well)

People Matter

Former Employee - Director Level in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Director Level in Newark, CA

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Nice campus, great lunches, plenty of challenges to overcome.

Cons

Executives and Senior Leadership. All about politics - kiss up or shut up. If you are experienced but are below the pay grade of the Senior Leadership team, watch out. They like to hear that all is well. Speak the truth and you get shot. If you are friends with the CEO and enjoy his boasting nature, you will do well.

Bring back some of the management team you foolishly let go or just quit!

bad experience a political place to work.

Former Employee - Manager in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Newark, CA

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cant find any pros to work here

Cons

highly political to the extent you may not be able to your regular work properly

needs reshuffling especially in some pd departments

Writing this review makes me sad

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This has been a fun company to work for. Good location, good salary, intelligent people around. It had a good feel and ambitious goals. The work was (and still is) interesting.

Cons

It went down soon after RMS hired (now fired) CTO Philippe Stephan. Suddenly there was more gossip, people got laid off, the overall mood went down. To top it off, CTO Stephan made some not so smart choices on technology that he had no capacity of understanding. RMS ended up in a technology mess that was patch work at best. CTO Stephan couldn't deliver and was fired. Frantic attempts to fix this are under way now. I feel bad for all the people that got laid off. It will be hard to fix this. A lot of the people with deep knowledge are gone now.

No advice - I am speechless at how quickly fortunes change sometimes.

A company in struggle

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time

Pros

It's honestly hard to find some "Pros" in this particular moment of RMS' history. Senior Management has no clear view of the future, nonetheless, they still think the new platform will be ready in early/mid 2015 (or at least that's what they tell the other employees). I really have no idea how they can think to deliver a whole new platform in such a limited amount of time with no clear leadership. Meanwhile, the investors' meeting was awful and the 2015 RMS clients' conference is coming up... what are we going to tell clients this time?

Cons

There is no cohesion among different groups of the company (especially between the model development and the software development groups). Model dev is working towards the so-called "HD models" and doesn't even have a platform to start testing and calibrating them! At this point, I don't see how some HD models, such as Japan Typhoon, Euro Flood, New Zealand Earthquake and North America Earthquake, can even get out of the "house". My prediction is that RMS will have to release most of them (if not all) still on RiskLink rather than RMS(one).

Lots of employees are either not motivated or not willing to work hard enough! I'm not sure what's the source of the problem in this case, all i can suggest is to remove those employees and hire better ones. Office is not the place where you spend time on youtube watching movies, not the place where you constantly monitor your personal email and stocks, nor the place where you play with your smartphone for hours. Managers should be more demanding.

Another issue: HR seems to still be making fun of all the employees. An example? they recently sent out a letter to all the US employees stating that they are PLEASED to announce a mandatory week off at the end of the year. in other words, They are basically PLEASED to force all US-based employees to take 4 days of PTO. Why not using the right words?... We are sorry but we need to force you to take PTO so we can save some money. it's that simple!

One last point: Salaries are not that great. Being the company HQ located in the bay area, most employees are forced to live in the sketchy east bay rather than the nicer areas (SF or peninsula).

Be honest and transparent to your employees. Stop promoting people who don't deserve to be promoted! Hire qualified employees for the crucial senior positions managing platform and cloud operations, not people with bachelor degrees in chemistry or geography.

More Bad than Good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Gym, snacks, sodas, competitive salary, free lunch Thursdays, reasonable working hours.

Cons

Lack of strong leadership, no direction, poor personal growth, low morale, product launch failure, delusional and non-qualified managers, no understanding of the software industry.

Stop promoting people who do not deserve to be promoted. It seems if you're incompetent, you move up.

Someone please save this company from itself

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Newark, CA

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company can go either way right now. The right people aren't in place to bring RMS(none) to market.

Cons

Keep cleaning out what they call the exec committee. CFO is on the way out. Move the dinosaurs out of HR, hire real technologists and a COO or someone who can actually run the company.

HR must think we are stupid. They are PLEASED to let us know that we have forced PTO. Cut to the chase. That saves money. Be honest and real. Good people are leaving in droves and HR just does surveys. Why not survey the people who leave? Do you survey the people who turn down jobs? Instead of focusing on Impact awards raising money for Build Change find the right execs to run this company before it is too late. You are worried about the wrong thing.

The advice is to the parent company DMGT. Keep cleaning house. Take a look at the "leadership" page on the website and focus cleaning house. Bring in a COO or someone to manage the things day to day. Force Hemant to do the right thing and bring in fresh, relevant blood for HR, COO, CFO and rms none GM.

Hubris

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Enjoy the camaraderie of 'worker bees'. The campus is beautiful. Benefits are comparable to the valley's norm. Work/life balance is good.

Cons

One word: hubris. Hubris (from ancient Greek ὕβρις) means extreme pride or self-confidence. When it offends the Gods of ancient Greece, it is usually punished. Some of the leadership suffer from hubris. And they won't even consult the Gods of Silicon Valley (oh you know, the people who actually know what they're doing)... and they will be punished the way companies are when they are led by truly incompetent leadership.

Understand what you are suffering from. Hubris often indicates a loss of contact with reality and an overestimation of one's own competence, accomplishments or capabilities, especially when the person exhibiting it is in a position of power. Now think about that... what do really bring to your roles? An engineer, civil engineer, insurance data analyst who think they can run sales, marketing and bring a SaaS application to market. Uh, here's a hint: you can't. Which leads to the politics. It's exhausting... and that's the thing, anyone who has been there for a while or has the right initials after their name, are free to think they can do any job. You can't... hubris.

Just ok..

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had a lot to learn, and I can easily share my opinion with my team at RMS. I don't think I could do the same as other companies. You are surrounded by a lot of creative and intelligent people who have a lot of experience. They all are nice, and supports one another, and the benefits are great as well.

Cons

Wrong management made many people lost the jobs. Lack of leadership can't see the growth on next three years.

Risk Management Solutions Photos