Risk Management Solutions

Updated September 19, 2014
Updated September 19, 2014

Risk Management Solutions President Hemant Shah
Hemant Shah

Pros
  • Good work life balance,ample growth opportunity if you are a self learner (in 15 reviews)

• meritocratic organisation - smart people do well (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Catastrophe modeling is a smaller industry so over-specialization may be an issue (in 3 reviews)

• Communication between the different groups/departments is poor (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Many teaching moments

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time

Pros

This is a company that treats people with respect and dignity. Some of the former laid off employees have it just backwards. RMS was giving them an opportunity to grow, to explore different fields, and to get creative by looking for new jobs. Which is really the best feature of RMS: you are challenged in your level of how much BS you can absorb. Leaders from hell, but teachers for life. The lessons I have taken with me are too numerous to count. Number one: don't work on something (software in the cloud) under somebody (e.g. the now ex-CTO) if nobody really knows what they are supposed to be doing. This lesson came at a price ($100 Million plus), but it was the best education I could have asked for. Priceless. Thank you shareholders. Let me know when the servers from the data centers are up for sale.

Cons

I wish RMS' money would have lasted a little longer for us to slack around pretending that we're on track. While I fully embrace new challenges, I envy a little all the people that can still fully ride this wave at RMS. Well done colleagues, you might have some more years to go. And in case you won't get a bonus this year (why would you want that anyway), it might be time to get used to it.

I believe things are going in the right direction, whether that's up or down -- who cares. Maybe another day off per week would be good, folks could get a lot of things done at home (gardening, applying for jobs, stand by the letter box to hear the checks come in).

Great company - great people - great products

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

RMS is the worldwide leader in catastrophe modeling - and deservedly so.

Cons

Working hours can be tough.

Keep on pushing (and accelerating) RMS(one).

Growing pains but a bright future

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

CEO is making the necessary changes to move the product and the company forward. Supported by parent company and while the next 6 months will be tough it isn't going to be tough by typical Silicon Valley standards. New leadership in software dev is the real deal. Agree with other comments that this is gem in Silicon Valley.

Cons

Because it is a relatively small company and many many people have been there for YEARS, the kind of change we are going through is hard for them. If you aren't happy, please go somewhere else.

Took a little too long to make the changes with the CTO. Agree with other comments about HR and product management. HR: Don't hire inexperienced friends of the family into jobs we don't need. Product management needs the right home and leader.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Highly intelligent colleagues, supportive management, comfortable and challenging place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

RMS has a great mission - to make the world a more resilient place. To achieve this, it has created a terrific business model that is very profitable. It provides a secure, stable environment with highly intelligent and talented colleagues. The work/life balance is real, not just a sales pitch - everyone starts with 20 days PTO plus 10 national holidays. People work hard, and there is stress (after all, it's WORK, not play), but it is very manageable compared to many organizations in Silicon Valley.

Cons

As with any growing organization, there are management challenges. The company sometimes lacks interdepartmental transparency and communication - a situation that leadership is addressing.

Continue to hire the best and the brightest. Don't settle for mediocre hires even with scarce human resources.

Fast growing company

Current Employee - Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

Exciting , new tech, friendly colleagues, good benefits

Cons

not well known, too many directors

Great company, right direction, many perks, and some problems

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Newark, CA

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

Overall, the company is moving in the right direction regarding software development, though there are still problems. Flexible schedule. Free snacks. Free dinner every day. Free lunch once a week. Gym. Team outings are paid by the company.

Cons

Very bad organization of different teams interacting with each other. One team blocked by another is a normal thing. Some approaches used during development of software are very questionable and bring a lot of hassle without any benefit.

Get some people experienced in software development to organize development processes. Teams constantly blocked is waste of company's money.

Friendly and interesting company to work in that is driving change in the cat modelling industry

Current Employee - Senior Consultant/Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant/Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

RMS is an enterprising company to work at, with plenty of opportunity for job growth. With the upcoming release of RMS(one), the company is a very exciting place to work due to the changes internally, and those within the market. RMS has always been the leader in the cat modelling sphere, which is a fascinating area to work in - I am able to combine my interest in science, in particular geophysics, with the business world. Everyone at RMS is friendly, with regular pub trips and team building activities.

Cons

My particular job requires flying around a lot which was very exciting to start with, but I now try to base myself at home more.

Great place to work!!

Current Employee - Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly and stimulating working environment. Very smart colleagues that share great ideas so that you constantly get an additional motivation. Innovative in the business, this is the place where the brillian ideas for the insurance market get implemented!

Cons

Within the flow of new ideas there is a natural selection so that many very interesting thing don't get implemented. Also within the large organization priorities and deadlines are not always clear.

RMS is an exciting and fun place to work doing cool stuff with really smart people.

Current Employee - Vice President  in  Hoboken, NJ
    Current Employee - Vice President in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

RMS has a special culture with a great proportion of the employees being extremely passionate and energetic. Being an innovative growth organization requires frequent change which is coupled with great career opportunities and growth. Those who are courageous enough to adapt quickly, seize these opportunities and bring fellow colleagues along can achieve great success.

Cons

With great passion for RMS and what we do it's sometimes difficult to switch off because its in my blood. But honestly, I'm grateful to be in a career that I enjoy at a company I'm proud to be a part of and have helped shape over the years. I'm thankful that I have been patient enough and smart enough to stick with RMS over the past 10+ years through the evolution of this organization and personally share in it's success.

Appreciate and acknowledge our employees as they are our greatest asset! Our employees are integral to our past current and future success.

an exciting place to be

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- great people committed to ambitious targets
    - meritocratic organisation - smart people do well
    - entrepreneurial, and willing to back good ideas
    - technologically innovative, and now embracing the latest tech trends
    - a real-world application grounded in science
    - the nature of the business means quickly changing priorities, and therefore new challenges

Cons

- if you don't like change, this is not the place for you
    - company learns as it grows, so makes its fair share of mistakes

- need more space in London!

Worked for Risk Management Solutions? Contribute to the Community!