Risk Management Solutions

Updated December 18, 2014
2.8

Risk Management Solutions President Hemant Shah
Hemant Shah

Pros
  • Good work life balance,ample growth opportunity if you are a self learner (in 20 reviews)

• There are lot of smart people here to work with (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Large iniative to roll out new flagship product RMS One, bombed in Apri 2014 (in 9 reviews)

• Should invest more heavily in product and model development to exceed client expectations (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

The best way to spend your PhD

Current Employee - Catastrophe Modeler in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Catastrophe Modeler in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Highly challenging environment. model development team is outstanding in expertise, team playing and competence. Very friendly working environment.

Cons

As the company is the leader in his industry there is often the pressure to be always at the top.

Great company - great people - great products

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

RMS is the worldwide leader in catastrophe modeling - and deservedly so.

Cons

Working hours can be tough.

Keep on pushing (and accelerating) RMS(one).

Highly intelligent colleagues, supportive management, comfortable and challenging place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

RMS has a great mission - to make the world a more resilient place. To achieve this, it has created a terrific business model that is very profitable. It provides a secure, stable environment with highly intelligent and talented colleagues. The work/life balance is real, not just a sales pitch - everyone starts with 20 days PTO plus 10 national holidays. People work hard, and there is stress (after all, it's WORK, not play), but it is very manageable compared to many organizations in Silicon Valley.

Cons

As with any growing organization, there are management challenges. The company sometimes lacks interdepartmental transparency and communication - a situation that leadership is addressing.

Continue to hire the best and the brightest. Don't settle for mediocre hires even with scarce human resources.

Fast growing company

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Exciting , new tech, friendly colleagues, good benefits

Cons

not well known, too many directors

Great company, right direction, many perks, and some problems

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Newark, CA

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Overall, the company is moving in the right direction regarding software development, though there are still problems. Flexible schedule. Free snacks. Free dinner every day. Free lunch once a week. Gym. Team outings are paid by the company.

Cons

Very bad organization of different teams interacting with each other. One team blocked by another is a normal thing. Some approaches used during development of software are very questionable and bring a lot of hassle without any benefit.

Get some people experienced in software development to organize development processes. Teams constantly blocked is waste of company's money.

Friendly and interesting company to work in that is driving change in the cat modelling industry

Current Employee - Senior Consultant/Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant/Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

RMS is an enterprising company to work at, with plenty of opportunity for job growth. With the upcoming release of RMS(one), the company is a very exciting place to work due to the changes internally, and those within the market. RMS has always been the leader in the cat modelling sphere, which is a fascinating area to work in - I am able to combine my interest in science, in particular geophysics, with the business world. Everyone at RMS is friendly, with regular pub trips and team building activities.

Cons

My particular job requires flying around a lot which was very exciting to start with, but I now try to base myself at home more.

Great place to work!!

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly and stimulating working environment. Very smart colleagues that share great ideas so that you constantly get an additional motivation. Innovative in the business, this is the place where the brillian ideas for the insurance market get implemented!

Cons

Within the flow of new ideas there is a natural selection so that many very interesting thing don't get implemented. Also within the large organization priorities and deadlines are not always clear.

RMS is an exciting and fun place to work doing cool stuff with really smart people.

Current Employee - Vice President in Hoboken, NJ
    Current Employee - Vice President in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

RMS has a special culture with a great proportion of the employees being extremely passionate and energetic. Being an innovative growth organization requires frequent change which is coupled with great career opportunities and growth. Those who are courageous enough to adapt quickly, seize these opportunities and bring fellow colleagues along can achieve great success.

Cons

With great passion for RMS and what we do it's sometimes difficult to switch off because its in my blood. But honestly, I'm grateful to be in a career that I enjoy at a company I'm proud to be a part of and have helped shape over the years. I'm thankful that I have been patient enough and smart enough to stick with RMS over the past 10+ years through the evolution of this organization and personally share in it's success.

Appreciate and acknowledge our employees as they are our greatest asset! Our employees are integral to our past current and future success.

an exciting place to be

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- great people committed to ambitious targets
    - meritocratic organisation - smart people do well
    - entrepreneurial, and willing to back good ideas
    - technologically innovative, and now embracing the latest tech trends
    - a real-world application grounded in science
    - the nature of the business means quickly changing priorities, and therefore new challenges

Cons

- if you don't like change, this is not the place for you
    - company learns as it grows, so makes its fair share of mistakes

- need more space in London!

Very ambitious company. This brings change and uncertainty but also provides interesting challenges and opportunities.

Current Employee - Senior Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

RMS is at the forefront of science and technology. We have some of the leading experts in the world developing our catastrophe models, cloud computing leaders building out our own cloud infrastructure and client facing teams working closely with our primarily (re)insurance, and often quite conservative clients.

We are very ambitious in our plans, there is always change and this makes it an exciting and interesting place to work. There is a steep learning curve and while it can take some time for new starters to build up their domain knowledge, once they do, there is plenty of opportunity for career growth.

Poor reviews on this site are primarily from 1 or 2 teams in our California offices. Don't let this put you off!

Cons

We have very ambitious plans to bring disruptive software to the insurance market but this brings with it some challenges.

There can be cultural differences between different teams, it can be stressful at times because there is so much that we are trying to achieve and we are doing something that hasn't been done before. Different teams have different views on how things should be done, people are passionate about their work and senior people are often overloaded with work. These issues can lead to tension.

Some teams can be secretive about their work and there is not always a culture where information is shared and you can openly challenge what others are doing to ensure that the best decisions are being made.

Keep pushing to improve transparency with our clients and build trusting relationships.

Ensure that input from the teams that closely engage with clients effectively makes its way to development.

Ensure that there is a culture of transparency and constructive challenge between teams.

From looking through the reviews on this site, it appears that there are some unhappy people in our development teams in California - looks like this needs attention.

Risk Management Solutions Photos