Risk Management Solutions

Updated February 25, 2015
2.6

Risk Management Solutions President Hemant Shah
Hemant Shah

Pros
  • Good work life balance,ample growth opportunity if you are a self learner (in 20 reviews)

• There are lot of smart people here to work with (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Large iniative to roll out new flagship product RMS One, bombed in Apri 2014 (in 9 reviews)

• Should invest more heavily in product and model development to exceed client expectations (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Think outside the box!

Current Employee - Senior Modeler in Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Modeler in Newark, CA

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions

Pros

Work is dynamic, challenging and very satisfying,
    Self-improvement in the field is encouraged,
    In constant contact with other organizations in the field,
    Very talented, intelligent co-workers,
    Balanced level of independence,
    Great work-life balance,
    Salary is competitive as compared to other companies in this field,
    Nice campus with gym, game center and cafeteria,
    Great culture and people in Newark office.

Cons

Benefits are OK,
    Compensation is low,
    Cafeteria provides relatively expensive meals, no more discounts and the quality decreased (not competitive with surrounding companies),
    Fast pace work environment (can be very stressful from time to time).

Fast Paced Environment

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions

Pros

The company is very dedicated to getting products built that provide value to customers. They are open to new ideas and are working to correct course whenever needed. This can look like disorganization, but I feel they are making the right moves for the company. I see a lot of improvement.

Cons

Communication is being improved and new technical management is dedicated to making that happen.

The best way to spend your PhD

Current Employee - Catastrophe Modeler in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Catastrophe Modeler in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Highly challenging environment. model development team is outstanding in expertise, team playing and competence. Very friendly working environment.

Cons

As the company is the leader in his industry there is often the pressure to be always at the top.

Great company - great people - great products

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

RMS is the worldwide leader in catastrophe modeling - and deservedly so.

Cons

Working hours can be tough.

Keep on pushing (and accelerating) RMS(one).

Highly intelligent colleagues, supportive management, comfortable and challenging place to work

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Newark, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Newark, CA

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

RMS has a great mission - to make the world a more resilient place. To achieve this, it has created a terrific business model that is very profitable. It provides a secure, stable environment with highly intelligent and talented colleagues. The work/life balance is real, not just a sales pitch - everyone starts with 20 days PTO plus 10 national holidays. People work hard, and there is stress (after all, it's WORK, not play), but it is very manageable compared to many organizations in Silicon Valley.

Cons

As with any growing organization, there are management challenges. The company sometimes lacks interdepartmental transparency and communication - a situation that leadership is addressing.

Continue to hire the best and the brightest. Don't settle for mediocre hires even with scarce human resources.

Fast growing company

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Exciting , new tech, friendly colleagues, good benefits

Cons

not well known, too many directors

Great company, right direction, many perks, and some problems

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Newark, CA

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Overall, the company is moving in the right direction regarding software development, though there are still problems. Flexible schedule. Free snacks. Free dinner every day. Free lunch once a week. Gym. Team outings are paid by the company.

Cons

Very bad organization of different teams interacting with each other. One team blocked by another is a normal thing. Some approaches used during development of software are very questionable and bring a lot of hassle without any benefit.

Get some people experienced in software development to organize development processes. Teams constantly blocked is waste of company's money.

Friendly and interesting company to work in that is driving change in the cat modelling industry

Current Employee - Senior Consultant/Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant/Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

RMS is an enterprising company to work at, with plenty of opportunity for job growth. With the upcoming release of RMS(one), the company is a very exciting place to work due to the changes internally, and those within the market. RMS has always been the leader in the cat modelling sphere, which is a fascinating area to work in - I am able to combine my interest in science, in particular geophysics, with the business world. Everyone at RMS is friendly, with regular pub trips and team building activities.

Cons

My particular job requires flying around a lot which was very exciting to start with, but I now try to base myself at home more.

Great place to work!!

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly and stimulating working environment. Very smart colleagues that share great ideas so that you constantly get an additional motivation. Innovative in the business, this is the place where the brillian ideas for the insurance market get implemented!

Cons

Within the flow of new ideas there is a natural selection so that many very interesting thing don't get implemented. Also within the large organization priorities and deadlines are not always clear.

RMS is an exciting and fun place to work doing cool stuff with really smart people.

Current Employee - Vice President in Hoboken, NJ
    Current Employee - Vice President in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

RMS has a special culture with a great proportion of the employees being extremely passionate and energetic. Being an innovative growth organization requires frequent change which is coupled with great career opportunities and growth. Those who are courageous enough to adapt quickly, seize these opportunities and bring fellow colleagues along can achieve great success.

Cons

With great passion for RMS and what we do it's sometimes difficult to switch off because its in my blood. But honestly, I'm grateful to be in a career that I enjoy at a company I'm proud to be a part of and have helped shape over the years. I'm thankful that I have been patient enough and smart enough to stick with RMS over the past 10+ years through the evolution of this organization and personally share in it's success.

Appreciate and acknowledge our employees as they are our greatest asset! Our employees are integral to our past current and future success.

Risk Management Solutions Photos