Risk Management Solutions

Updated January 23, 2015
2.8

Risk Management Solutions President Hemant Shah
Hemant Shah

Pros
  • Good work life balance,ample growth opportunity if you are a self learner (in 20 reviews)

• There are lot of smart people here to work with (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Large iniative to roll out new flagship product RMS One, bombed in Apri 2014 (in 9 reviews)

• Should invest more heavily in product and model development to exceed client expectations (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

More Bad than Good

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Gym, snacks, sodas, competitive salary, free lunch Thursdays, reasonable working hours.

Cons

Lack of strong leadership, no direction, poor personal growth, low morale, product launch failure, delusional and non-qualified managers, no understanding of the software industry.

Stop promoting people who do not deserve to be promoted. It seems if you're incompetent, you move up.

Someone please save this company from itself

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Newark, CA

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company can go either way right now. The right people aren't in place to bring RMS(none) to market.

Cons

Keep cleaning out what they call the exec committee. CFO is on the way out. Move the dinosaurs out of HR, hire real technologists and a COO or someone who can actually run the company.

HR must think we are stupid. They are PLEASED to let us know that we have forced PTO. Cut to the chase. That saves money. Be honest and real. Good people are leaving in droves and HR just does surveys. Why not survey the people who leave? Do you survey the people who turn down jobs? Instead of focusing on Impact awards raising money for Build Change find the right execs to run this company before it is too late. You are worried about the wrong thing.

The advice is to the parent company DMGT. Keep cleaning house. Take a look at the "leadership" page on the website and focus cleaning house. Bring in a COO or someone to manage the things day to day. Force Hemant to do the right thing and bring in fresh, relevant blood for HR, COO, CFO and rms none GM.

A company in struggle

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time

Pros

It's honestly hard to find some "Pros" in this particular moment of RMS' history. Senior Management has no clear view of the future, nonetheless, they still think the new platform will be ready in early/mid 2015 (or at least that's what they tell the other employees). I really have no idea how they can think to deliver a whole new platform in such a limited amount of time with no clear leadership. Meanwhile, the investors' meeting was awful and the 2015 RMS clients' conference is coming up... what are we going to tell clients this time?

Cons

There is no cohesion among different groups of the company (especially between the model development and the software development groups). Model dev is working towards the so-called "HD models" and doesn't even have a platform to start testing and calibrating them! At this point, I don't see how some HD models, such as Japan Typhoon, Euro Flood, New Zealand Earthquake and North America Earthquake, can even get out of the "house". My prediction is that RMS will have to release most of them (if not all) still on RiskLink rather than RMS(one).

Lots of employees are either not motivated or not willing to work hard enough! I'm not sure what's the source of the problem in this case, all i can suggest is to remove those employees and hire better ones. Office is not the place where you spend time on youtube watching movies, not the place where you constantly monitor your personal email and stocks, nor the place where you play with your smartphone for hours. Managers should be more demanding.

Another issue: HR seems to still be making fun of all the employees. An example? they recently sent out a letter to all the US employees stating that they are PLEASED to announce a mandatory week off at the end of the year. in other words, They are basically PLEASED to force all US-based employees to take 4 days of PTO. Why not using the right words?... We are sorry but we need to force you to take PTO so we can save some money. it's that simple!

One last point: Salaries are not that great. Being the company HQ located in the bay area, most employees are forced to live in the sketchy east bay rather than the nicer areas (SF or peninsula).

Be honest and transparent to your employees. Stop promoting people who don't deserve to be promoted! Hire qualified employees for the crucial senior positions managing platform and cloud operations, not people with bachelor degrees in chemistry or geography.

Hubris

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Enjoy the camaraderie of 'worker bees'. The campus is beautiful. Benefits are comparable to the valley's norm. Work/life balance is good.

Cons

One word: hubris. Hubris (from ancient Greek ὕβρις) means extreme pride or self-confidence. When it offends the Gods of ancient Greece, it is usually punished. Some of the leadership suffer from hubris. And they won't even consult the Gods of Silicon Valley (oh you know, the people who actually know what they're doing)... and they will be punished the way companies are when they are led by truly incompetent leadership.

Understand what you are suffering from. Hubris often indicates a loss of contact with reality and an overestimation of one's own competence, accomplishments or capabilities, especially when the person exhibiting it is in a position of power. Now think about that... what do really bring to your roles? An engineer, civil engineer, insurance data analyst who think they can run sales, marketing and bring a SaaS application to market. Uh, here's a hint: you can't. Which leads to the politics. It's exhausting... and that's the thing, anyone who has been there for a while or has the right initials after their name, are free to think they can do any job. You can't... hubris.

Disappointing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice people, very personable CEO with good values, good life work balance.

Cons

Since they missed a major deadline confidence is lost.

Robbers of your youth!

Current Employee - Senior Catastrophe Modeler in Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Catastrophe Modeler in Newark, CA

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are some smart and nice people here,

Cons

BUT middle management is hand-picked by the senior management and senior management are a bunch of people who are personal friends of the CEO and can do no wrong (not to mention stuck in the dark ages of tech). The reason there were massive layoffs and the reason why they are having to release a new version of a program that was supposed to be defunct is because of their lack of intelligence and management. Model development is where science goes to die in the Newark office. You will leave here with fewer prospects than when you started as you see models being built in EXCEL, freaking EXCEL! They use 1990s technology, SQL, really?! DO not work here if you want to advance your career as a scientist or a janitor or even just a guy who hangs out on the street in front of buildings, you will regret it!

Hold the people really responsible for failure accountable. When I went to HR to complain about the unfair hiring and promoting and general business practices I was told they were powerless to do anything because the high ups refused to let them take action (And they said this isnt the first time they had had this complaint!). Let HR do their damn jobs!

Great people to work with!

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots to learn from experienced people at the company. It is a challenging industry to be in and people are always ready to help.

Cons

Lot of uncertainty in the company because of the challenge of building a cutting edge platform. Management is undecided on what strategy to choose. There is internal politics and upper management does not communicate the vision properly

There should be a proper product strategy and then stick with it

Internship at RMS

Current Employee - Model Development in Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Model Development in Newark, CA

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I had a good experience during my internship at RMS. I worked in a professional team and friendly team in model development team and gained a lot good experiences.

Cons

I didn't see any problem during my internship. That being said, three months is probably not enough to notice possible cons in a company. Plus, I only worked with one manager.

Just ok..

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I had a lot to learn, and I can easily share my opinion with my team at RMS. I don't think I could do the same as other companies. You are surrounded by a lot of creative and intelligent people who have a lot of experience. They all are nice, and supports one another, and the benefits are great as well.

Cons

Wrong management made many people lost the jobs. Lack of leadership can't see the growth on next three years.

Account Manager

I worked at Risk Management Solutions

Pros

Boss very supportive of career development.
    Good salary/benefits.
    Nice office environment.

Cons

Frequently changing company aims/strategy.
    More team bonding needed.

Focus on the team bonding outside of the workplace.
    Don't promise what you can't deliver.

Risk Management Solutions Photos