Risk Management Solutions

Risk Management Solutions Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Risk Management Solutions President Hemant Shah

Hemant Shah

Pros
  • Good work life balance,ample growth opportunity if you are a self learner (in 15 reviews)

• meritocratic organisation - smart people do well (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Catastrophe modeling is a smaller industry so over-specialization may be an issue (in 3 reviews)

• Communication between the different groups/departments is poor (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, right direction, many perks, and some problems

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Newark, CA

ProsOverall, the company is moving in the right direction regarding software development, though there are still problems. Flexible schedule. Free snacks. Free dinner every day. Free lunch once a week. Gym. Team outings are paid by the company.

ConsVery bad organization of different teams interacting with each other. One team blocked by another is a normal thing. Some approaches used during development of software are very questionable and bring a lot of hassle without any benefit.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some people experienced in software development to organize development processes. Teams constantly blocked is waste of company's money.

Politics politics & only politics

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Newark, CA

ProsOther than free Thursday lunch and free sodas I do not see any pros in this company

ConsSenior management very incapable to provide a vision to its people. The product management team has no clear idea of the product they want to make. The CTO kept on giving false updates to the higher management, and when the product was supposed to be delivered it was found that the product was not complete with lots and lots of bugs. In last 2 years the CTO has always given provided absolutely scripted demos to the client without exposing the bugs and issues of the application. This even cost his job in the end

Very average senior management and few senior SVPs believe in divide and rule policy. No cohesion between teams and each working to prove who is superior against the other. Absolute pandemonium and I wonder how few managers are software managers and not politicians !!!

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CEO is good a good man but he has no clues what is going inside. Fire few more senior management else the company is doomed

Senior individual contributor

Principal Architect (Current Employee) Newark, CA

ProsNobody 'phones it in'
    Smart people
    Market leader
    Building large distributed system - hard, fun
    Well managed financially
    Interesting domains (insurance - who knew?!)

ConsDev mgrs often stronger devs than mgrs
    Aggressive schedules risk burnout
    Inter-team communication/alignment needs improvement
    Design quality can suffer under deadline pressure

Advice to Senior ManagementCan't do everything at once - choose and communicate our business priorities. This is not the time to hedge our bets.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place for learning modeling!

Modeler (Former Employee) Newark, CA

Prosa company with strong background in modeling, and many modeling professionals. The work environment is fun and challenging.

ConsMust be able to work independently

The good, the bad, and the ugly..

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Hoboken, NJ

ProsA majority of this depends on your manager

- A pretty fast pace work place and can learn and get things done depending on the size of your team and what you are involved in
    - Can move up quickly if people above you leave or move to another group (which happens pretty often)
    - You are given atonomy if you prove that you are an A+ employee
    - Free snacks and drinks in the kitchens
    - People in the company waste money like no other because there is no checks and balances, as long as your manager approves of it. (This can be a pro or con depending on how much you care about the company)
    - If you are in with senior management, you are set and you can almost do whatever you want and not get fired.

Cons- The same work is done over and over and over again by different groups/people and is ultimately scrapped all together in the end which wastes everyone's time
    - People move around all the time and generally are put in roles that they are not technically qualified for but since they know the right people, managers they turn a blind eye with regards to their technical skills
    - People in middle management are there not because they were "promoted" but because people above them left. They are not given formal training which causes big issues in the end.
    - There is not enough communication among different groups which causes information to be lost
    - Compensation is way below average compared to the industry
    - TOO MUCH POLITICS AT THE TOP!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementTalented people are leaving left and right and no one is really doing anything about it.. DO SOMETHING! Get your act together before everyone leaves.

Stop trying to set unachievable goals just to appease clients. Develop a backbone and learn to say no.

The next year will be ugly

Prosambitious agenda and exciting work

Consneed to be more real about what can get done and what can't

A software company that won't admit it.

Senior Catastrophe Modeler (Current Employee) Newark, CA

ProsCompensation and benefits are comparable (perhaps better) than similar companies. Work schedules are flexible and RMS is generous with providing the hardware and software needed to do the work required.

ConsRMS employs a lot of smart people with PhDs. The conflict between educated people can sometimes be petty as they become more concerned with recognition of their work rather than the relevance of their work to the current project. Also, RMS prides itself on being on the cutting edge of science but does not always understand that advancing science cannot always be scheduled.

The most deceiving company to work for!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Newark, CA

ProsBetter to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. That is the only good thing here. If you can fly low enough to stay out of sight but get your work done you'll be fine. Don't expect anything in return!

ConsA family culture that has been destroyed by BS initiatives and new managers that seem to be brain washing the CEO, or maybe he has no idea because the company has grown like a wild fire with no standards or formal process. Every AHM is a pile of crap that doesn't mean anything to the pee-ons that actually work! Everything depends on how someone wakes up in the morning...

There is absolutely no loyalty at this company! If you are interviewing, ask how many people have left in the last 12 months and how long have they been with the company. That should be enough to tell you what kind of company you'll be getting in to if you decide.

I feel sorry for all the people putting in a lot of hard work this last 12 months and the coming 6 months. The sad thing is that there will be no pay out for you! Don't expect any significant bonuses for the next 2 years minimum! A certain group has sucked it all up...

Everything in the HQ office is so fake, it's nothing like any of the other offices. So if you don't have to work in CA it might be okay.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying and being deceitful, stop pretending to be an open book when your not. Stop hiding information. Stop thinking that the people under you can't figure out whats going on. Recognize everyone that works, not just your favorites!!

WORST COMPANY TO WORK!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood food and good cafeteria. Nice ambiance, nice location, some people are really good specially older people. Gym is one of the best attraction and 30 days of paid vacation.

Constoo much politics, worst management, worst managers, worst HR, Worst executives. No chance of personal development!! Expects more work but not rewarded for hard work and extra hours!! Very painful to work there!! It was such a big humiliation by the team, managers, executives and HR. Wrong practices, accused so many times without any proofs!! Someday company can get sued by some employee. Very imperialistic approach, not a good place for a honest and sincere employee who doesn't know how to play politics and doesn't know any one. Favoritism is very high!IT is the worst affected dept, all executives are busy in playing politics and bringing own people from the past job.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your attitude and don't look for own benefits , look for employees benefits.

RMS is an exciting and fun place to work doing cool stuff with really smart people.

Vice President (Current Employee) Hoboken, NJ

ProsRMS has a special culture with a great proportion of the employees being extremely passionate and energetic. Being an innovative growth organization requires frequent change which is coupled with great career opportunities and growth. Those who are courageous enough to adapt quickly, seize these opportunities and bring fellow colleagues along can achieve great success.

ConsWith great passion for RMS and what we do it's sometimes difficult to switch off because its in my blood. But honestly, I'm grateful to be in a career that I enjoy at a company I'm proud to be a part of and have helped shape over the years. I'm thankful that I have been patient enough and smart enough to stick with RMS over the past 10+ years through the evolution of this organization and personally share in it's success.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate and acknowledge our employees as they are our greatest asset! Our employees are integral to our past current and future success.

Worked for Risk Management Solutions? Contribute to the Community!