Risk Management Solutions Reviews

Updated April 16, 2015
212 reviews filtered by

If you are going to work for a corporation this is a good one

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

RMS has lots of kind, intelligent, people with a good work ethic. Working here offers an interesting vantage point into the insurance industry and lots of opportunities to learn and make connections. DMGT is a supportive owner, and the RMS leadership is enthusiastic and connected to the business.

Cons

RMS has stumbled recently regarding overly high expectations with the RMS(one) strategy. Although RMS plans to continue with the strategy, the plan is to refine scope, delay release, and adjust projected revenue accordingly. As a result layoffs occurred. It was very disappointing to see colleagues hired only to be let go a few months later. As well as long time very respected colleagues lost for political reasons.

Advice to Management

I am hopeful RMS will land on its feet. Already I see more cross departmental communication, and transparency. The new technology strategy is very promising. There are lots of talented people, we simply need to execute.

special in bay area

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible
    exciting sometimes
    a lot of smart people

Cons

need better designer to improve the performance

Advice to Management

discuss more and test more

Learned about insurance industry, but glad I didn't stay there longer than 1 year.

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions

Pros

My immediate supervisor was good.

Cons

No women in upper management, some slimy guys in upper managment

They asked me to write a review then laid me off

Former Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer in Newark, CA

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- I don't work there anymore.
    - Flexible schedule since management doesn't know where you are or what you are doing.

Cons

- No interaction with management
    - Can't deliver a "next generation" product
    - Constantly changing priorities, technologies, vision, etc. (Ex. Identifying me as someone that might be willing to write a positive review on Glassdoor then laying me off)

Advice to Management

Executive Management should step aside and bring in someone that can develop and execute a vision for the company.

Company In Chaos - Beware

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time

Pros

Tries to be employee friendly. Includes education & training, free lunch one day/week, nice environment & campus.

Cons

Lack of clear vision and reality of what it takes to create a major cloud-based platform and product suite resulted in massive frustration and massive layoffs and massive employee attrition. To the latter point, hundreds of people have either been terminated or otherwise left the company in calendar Q2 and Q3 of 2014.

Advice to Management

To succeed with RMS(two), create a separate and independent subsidiary with the appropriate skills and experience.

Layover or stopover company

Former Employee - Network Guy in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Network Guy in Newark, CA

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, gym, 1 day free lunch, competitive compensation
    Try to get in the right department or group and you should be ok
    Cash cow company so got $$
    Great learning opportunity, especially cloud related, to move to another company

Cons

appear to have unfair hire and fire mentality under poor management
    Certain departments or BU have low morality due to management
    All the money seems to go to a fatter middle management meaning more manager and directors. Did I just say too many chiefs and not enough peons
    Certainly doesn't have the startup feel as to talk or work with others. It is highly structured environment - depending on your role, expect to open tickets just to talk to someone or attend lots of meetings.

Advice to Management

Cloud platform/service management team is the newest boy of the block but appear to be the bad apple in the bucket. The Cloud top management has only been around for 3 years and I would give them an "F" each year. Sadly enough, all the money is going into the cloud which is great if you can get into that group to learn and leave.
    If someone does end of working here, make sure you are in the right department and have a good manager
    My main advice is to top management - talk to your top engineers. Make sure it is safe for them to talk so that may be you will get a clue

Lack of Accountability from Senior Management

Current Employee - Risk Analyst in Hoboken, NJ
    Current Employee - Risk Analyst in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of learning to be had for someone who would like experience in the Insurance/Reinsurance Cat Modeling Business

Cons

Large iniative to roll out new flagship product RMS One, bombed in Apri 2014. Since then, the CEO has repeatedly said that he is ultimately responsible numerous times. Meanwhile, he has begun major layoffs. I witnessed, just today, at least 10 people in my off be walked out. The company can afford to pay for lunch every Wednesday, keep a fully stocked free snack bar, pay in for a company perks plan and the other numerous programs that wasteful spending is done on, and they can't afford to pay employees? They knew this was a problem in April, and yet continued to hire more people; including paid graduate interns. This company has proven its just like every other company. For all the lip service about valuing employees, at the end of the day, employees don't matter at all.

Advice to Management

Buck up and take responsibility for your mistakes. Hemant Shah should step down or be terminated for his complete and utter failure as a leader.

There are lot of opportunities to learn and grow

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time

Pros

Interesting line of business. Overall compensation is good

Cons

No work life balance and no vision

Advice to Management

Please have some vision before hire people and keep good people with domain knowledge. Make sure every employee has work and life balance

Layoffs !!

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Newark, CA

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- lunch and snacks
    - free gym, and shuttle to bart station

Cons

- They laid off half of the organization (includes Software engineer, QA, HR, Product Management)
    - RMS (One) is failure and now they are trying to re-build it using open stack
    - They don't know what platform they wanna build
    - No vision
    - Hiring and firing company (some engineers were hired 6 months back and now they got laid off)
    - After laid off they only gives 6 days for H1b people to find a new job

Advise: don't join this company ( they will try to give you more money and after some time you will get laid off or get fired) before joining this company please talk to some one who worked for RMS in past.

Advice to Management

Don't hire and fire

Poor C-level leadership besides CFO

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Newark, CA

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was fun till operations started hiring to support new cloud initiative.

Cons

Product in the cloud will not work, poor choice in the future. Too much data, security issues and stability will be a problem for RMS one to work.

Advice to Management

Retire and ride off into the sunset.

Risk Management Solutions Photos