Ristken Software Services

Updated August 13, 2014
Updated August 13, 2014
3.5

Matthew G Twyman

Great flexibility and great work environment

I have been working at Ristken Software Services

Pros

Amazing working place with fun company events. In a smaller work place like Ristken, there are lots of opportunities to work with colleagues from other departments on all kinds of projects. You get to know everyone on a personal basis and build great relationships. The company is family oriented providing great flexibility. No PTO policy; working from home if needed, and great benefits.

Cons

Maybe the lack of firm policies, which is expected from a small company. In certain situations not having firm policies provide great advantage to get things done faster.

Keep listening and supporting your employees. Continue focusing on company goals.

Automotive Industry tactics attempted in a technology shop

Former Employee - "Titles Mean Nothing" in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - "Titles Mean Nothing" in Addison, TX

I worked at Ristken Software Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people at Ristken share the same company experiences, so having friends within the company is not hard. There's a lot to be fixed which equates to no shortage of work for staff.

Cons

The leaders of the company are literally ex car salesmen - that's what they used to do. These "salesmen" tactics unfortunately do not work in today's workforce and anyone with an IQ above a first grader will catch on very quickly to their shady antics.

Money spent selling a struggling company to potential employees would be better spent reinforcing technology utilized to support your clients. Values mean nothing unless you're willing to live by them yourself.

Best company I have ever worked for.

I have been working at Ristken Software Services full-time

Pros

Benefits: Amazing. From insurance to PTO, Ristken is worlds better than any company I have worked for in the past.
    The People: At times it feels almost family-like but still maintaining professionalism. Everyone knows each other's name. We laugh together. We work hard together. Everyone knows their "stuff" and performs well. Great group of people.
    The Culture: Growth and learning is very much encouraged. The CEO fosters an environment that promotes reading, often purchasing books for us to keep and read. There is an amazing break-room with Ping-Pong, Shuffle-Board, Cable TV, sodas, bottled water (and often snacks) that are provided to the employees at no charge. Leadership continues to come up with fun and new ideas of things we can do together as a company - one year we had bowling trips with our families, another we went to the State Fair together. We've gone to a nice restaurant on Friday night and eaten dinner. We frequently have pizza parties at work or sandwiches will be brought in. We've done an ice cream party before and today we had a movie day in the office.
    Personal Growth: I feel free to express ideas and opinions within my department to help improve not only my job but also (hopefully) the long-term vision of the company. There are definitely individuals in management that make me feel valued for what I do in the company. I'm consistently motivated to learn and do more.

Cons

On the surface it may appear there is little room for promotions/internal growth because we are not a huge company, but my personal opinion is the employees are only limited by our own imaginations. I have seen numerous positions created with internal candidates receiving the jobs since I have worked here. As we continue to grow as a company, I think each individual working here has new opportunities.

Continue to give the people that work for you the encouragement and opportunities for growth and creativity. We will rise to the occasion.

Ristken Software Services Response

Jun 17, 2014CEO

Have Fun [Core Value 7]
    Build Relationships [Core Value 8]
    Pursue Growth & Learning [Core Value 5]

We are very pleased you have shared your feelings!

It’s nice to read that many of our
    ... More

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

I have been working at Ristken Software Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great office atmosphere - Room to grow and to share your ideas. You will learn a lot since there is a great culture of learning and team work.
    Helpful coworkers - In general everyone is friendly and helpful... Feels like a family
    work-life balance - Great culture, unlimited vacation, flexibility to work from home if needed
    Staff bonding opportunities - Company parties are fun, great food, well put together
    Hiring process was quick and professional

Cons

Lack of documentation makes it little difficult to maintain the applications, but that goes with a small company.

No complaints as of now. Keep up the good work!

Good friendly place to work!

I have been working at Ristken Software Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you like small company and work with people close 1:1, then this is the best company to work for. Friendly environment, Compensation is comparable, Vacation plan and other benefits are good as well, Lot of work need more talented people to fulfill all the work load

Cons

Its a small company, we are going thought growing pains, just like any small company want to grow faster then they can handle, Lot of work not enough people.

Hire more people FAST!

Still "Maturing", but On the Up-Swing, Ristken deserves a "C"

Former Employee - Developer in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Developer in Addison, TX

I worked at Ristken Software Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Beautiful work spaces, very nice break room, flexible hours, great vacation policy, good benefits and MacBook Pros for SOME of the employees. Efforts are being made to modernize the infrastructure and code base thanks to a strong devops team, a good architect, and a very strong group of developers. The architect at Ristken, along with the Development Manager, are making strong efforts to move the legacy apps to more modern technologies like MVC, Restful Services, AngularJS and NHibernate. The leadership is also starting to invest more in the infrastructure too.

Cons

Legacy code is still maintained by the developers because those legacy apps are still in use by clients who see no direct benefit in the re-factoring of those applications. This also reinforces the creation of silos where certain developers are considered the owners or experts with their respective legacy applications. This makes it difficult at times to assign those developers work using newer technologies like MVC, and AngularJS. The leadership is frowned upon at times because of this and further contributes to a pretty high attrition rate among the developers which perpetuates the problem even further.

Take care of your developers and know that the good ones consider the act of coding great software its own reward. Keep investing in the infrastructure and try to have more one on ones with your developers. After all, you are a SOFTWARE company.

I think Ristken will come around, but it still has some "maturing" to do first, so for my "review" of Ristken, on an A, B, C, D, and F grading scale, I give Ristken a "C".

Leadership Egos in the way

I worked at Ristken Software Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Break room is nice and clean with cable T.V. and a decent view of North Addison. Attempted benefits are good for a small company.

Cons

Leadership is headstrong and ignorant to employee's needs. Facade of "great place to work" is merely a publicity move for a churn and burn environment. If you want to have a personal life look elsewhere.

Listening to employees is nice but following through with promises is better.

Ristken Software Services Response

Jun 17, 2014CEO

Build Relationships [Core Value 8]
    Deliver Excellence… always [Core Value 9]

We work every day to model and live our 13 Core Values in everything we do. We wish we had received feedback sooner
    ... More

Great people, Good culture

I worked at Ristken Software Services

Pros

Great group of people who work there. Great office space

Cons

engineers still using older machines. legacy code makes it hard to maintain

Ristken Software Services Photos