Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers

Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers CEO and Director Peter J. Blake

Peter J. Blake

Solid company, local management issues

Reviewer (Former Employee)

I worked at Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers full-time for more than 8 years

ProsSolid company, good benefits, many opportunities

ConsWhile corporate management is sound, mid-level/local management tends to have issues

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain you local/mid-level managers in how to manage. Don't be afraid of them.

Great Place to work with the right people

I have been working at Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible schedule in between auctions, great benefits, fun atmosphere, decent pay, great people at our site, travel to fun places, get to meet lots of interesting people, people in the HR department are awesome!

Consseldom get raises, some people don't pull their own weight, feel like individuals are not taken into account, just numbers, sometimes travel is just too much

Advice to Senior ManagementMake employees feel more valued. Pay attention to who is actually doing work and who is just a butt kisser.

Not good

I have been working at Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe work can be fun

ConsZero diversity in management. Women and minorities do not have a chance of promotion into real management roles. Customer Service Managers are "managers" by name only, they are paid far below the level of their responsibility and often referred to as "the girls" by senior male management.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and join the 21st century.

I am still employed with Ritchie Bros part time, and I would love to be full time there in Butner, NC.

Customer Service (Current Employee)
Butner, NC

I have been working at Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat co-workers, Customers, facilities, benefits, and so much more. You really feel like everyone there is family.

ConsSo hard to get full time, I have proven to be an asset to the company, but can't seem to get an interview or a word as to what is going on with my application for a full time position.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe only advice I can give is this, when you have quality help don't let them fall by the wayside. If they are willing to give you their 100% dedication then it should not be so hard for them to grow within your company (such as myself).

Bad Environment

I have been working at Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers for more than a year

ProsAuctions are fun, for awhile.

ConsThis list is long.
The company is divided into to area's, Sales and Operations. Operational staff is treated as second class citizens by the company. They can expend fewer career opportunities, longer hours and less pay than their counterparts in the sales team.
The company does NOT stick to it's core value of "We do what is right", unless you believe intentionally misleading customers regarding the condition of equipment is the right thing to do. Example, clearing "Check Engine" lights with a code reader or placing a product in multiple engines to stop them from leaking long enough to sell them and listing them in Good condition.
The company is racially and sexually discriminates. Almost ZERO minorities are every hired or promoted to management positions, this is a fact.
The company ignores employment law by maintaining what it calls a "part-time,full time" work force. These are employees that work every day, 40 hours a week (or more), 52 weeks per year, but are called part time in order to avoid benefit costs. If the part-time, full time employee questions this, they are simply fired and replaced.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove the legacy senior management and replace with professionals. Peter Blake should resign, he freely admits that his mistakes were the cause for a 5% layoff but he remains at the helm.

Great company and fun business, but work you too hard around auction time.

I have been working at Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers

ProsThe people who work at RBA are great

ConsSpread people too thin around auction time

Great People!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people and experiences of the company are great. Auction day is like a sporting event with a lot of excitement. Good opportunities to travel and make overtime pay.

ConsWork life balance can be challenging. Expect to work at minimum 2 weeks straight prior to sale day with potential of long hours depending on size of sale. The company is all about sales and operations team can be left out in cold on customer issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave better training environments other than conference calls for operation positions

Equipment Inventory

Equipment Inventory (Former Employee)

I worked at Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat fun. Travel to other locations and meet others

ConsLong work hours around sales

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your eye on the prize

Biggest mistake of my life. Has caused nothing but stress Monday thru Friday.

Manager of Others Work (Former Employee)

I worked at Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers full-time

ProsNone, need at least 5 words.

ConsCompensation, Management, Lazy Co-workers, Managers who don't have college degrees

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the entire management team and start over. The company breeds laziness, supervisors are a joke, training is nonexistent, overweight co-workers everywhere I look, lazy 9-5ers from top to bottom. Complete waste of my time working with an management would doesn't care.

A company looking to hire cheap labor.

I have been working at Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers

ProsThe company offers outstanding healthcare, comparable to that of Canadian healthcare. The office is located in a beautiful building with comfortable offices and offers a great work/life balance attitude.

ConsThe company's salaries are far below market standard. They value their healthcare packages at over $10K and therefore reduce your salary by such. As the world's largest auction company with sales in the billions, employee bonuses are less that 100 dollars per year. No possibility for job growth, less than 6 managers within corporate for the entire United States division.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor a company to grow in the right direction it must be lead by people who are passionate about their work, people who are skilled in recognizing inefficiencies and eager to develop upon that. For far too long Ritchie Bros as worked to obtain "cheap labor," this attitude has lead to much of the demise that the company currently sits. For an international, publicly traded incorporation to hire applicants with only a GED or associates degree to foster operations in the billions displays an obvious disregard for growth in the "right direction." It's no wonder employee turnover is so high, why over 80% of employees are over 30, and why hired college graduates only stay [on average] less than two years.

Reconsider the type of employee that you're looking to attract, and then build your human resources and benefits policies around that desired individual. Great companies not only have employees work for them but work for their employees as well.

Worked for Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers? Contribute to the Community!

Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers Videos

Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers – Why Work for Us?

BIG COMPANY, BIG OPPORTUNITIES As the world's largest industrial auctioneer, Ritchie Bros. sells billions of dollars of heavy equipment each year. We're a successful, growing, truly global company, with operations in… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers CEO Peter J. Blake. All 34 reviews posted anonymously by Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers employees.