Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers

Ravi Saligram

Decent

Former Employee - Yard Worker in Morris, IL
    Former Employee - Yard Worker in Morris, IL

I worked at Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Open Work Environment, Busy day

Cons

All older people working there

Bring youth into the coompany to attract new employees

Management

I worked at Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers

Pros

Great people to work with. Money was ok.

Cons

Work Life balance was zero. We lost over 5 employees in one year to this

Not worth the stress!

Current Employee - Anonymous in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are some great people that work for The company.

Cons

With being A world wide multi-million dollar company, the benefits aren't that great. Your opinion does not matter in the U.S. Head Office. The Managers don't get a long. They do not work with parents/single parents well and do not understand the needs of a parent of a child who has a disability. Salary for such a large company is very low. Head Office can't keep new employees very long. If you're not in Sales you're over looked. Sales gets bonuses 3 times a year, everyone else gets a "Turkey Bonus" of $100, after tax its less than $90.

Value your employees.

Solid company, local management issues

Former Employee - Reviewer in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Reviewer in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Solid company, good benefits, many opportunities

Cons

While corporate management is sound, mid-level/local management tends to have issues

Train you local/mid-level managers in how to manage. Don't be afraid of them.

Great Place to work with the right people

I have been working at Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule in between auctions, great benefits, fun atmosphere, decent pay, great people at our site, travel to fun places, get to meet lots of interesting people, people in the HR department are awesome!

Cons

seldom get raises, some people don't pull their own weight, feel like individuals are not taken into account, just numbers, sometimes travel is just too much

Make employees feel more valued. Pay attention to who is actually doing work and who is just a butt kisser.

Not good

I have been working at Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The work can be fun

Cons

Zero diversity in management. Women and minorities do not have a chance of promotion into real management roles. Customer Service Managers are "managers" by name only, they are paid far below the level of their responsibility and often referred to as "the girls" by senior male management.

Wake up and join the 21st century.

I am still employed with Ritchie Bros part time, and I would love to be full time there in Butner, NC.

Current Employee - Customer Service in Butner, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Butner, NC

I have been working at Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers, Customers, facilities, benefits, and so much more. You really feel like everyone there is family.

Cons

So hard to get full time, I have proven to be an asset to the company, but can't seem to get an interview or a word as to what is going on with my application for a full time position.

The only advice I can give is this, when you have quality help don't let them fall by the wayside. If they are willing to give you their 100% dedication then it should not be so hard for them to grow within your company (such as myself).

Bad Environment

I have been working at Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers (more than an year)

Pros

Auctions are fun, for awhile.

Cons

This list is long.
    The company is divided into to area's, Sales and Operations. Operational staff is treated as second class citizens by the company. They can expend fewer career opportunities, longer hours and less pay than their counterparts in the sales team.
    The company does NOT stick to it's core value of "We do what is right", unless you believe intentionally misleading customers regarding the condition of equipment is the right thing to do. Example, clearing "Check Engine" lights with a code reader or placing a product in multiple engines to stop them from leaking long enough to sell them and listing them in Good condition.
    The company is racially and sexually discriminates. Almost ZERO minorities are every hired or promoted to management positions, this is a fact.
    The company ignores employment law by maintaining what it calls a "part-time,full time" work force. These are employees that work every day, 40 hours a week (or more), 52 weeks per year, but are called part time in order to avoid benefit costs. If the part-time, full time employee questions this, they are simply fired and replaced.

Remove the legacy senior management and replace with professionals. Peter Blake should resign, he freely admits that his mistakes were the cause for a 5% layoff but he remains at the helm.

Great company and fun business, but work you too hard around auction time.

I have been working at Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers

Pros

The people who work at RBA are great

Cons

Spread people too thin around auction time

Great People!!

I worked at Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people and experiences of the company are great. Auction day is like a sporting event with a lot of excitement. Good opportunities to travel and make overtime pay.

Cons

Work life balance can be challenging. Expect to work at minimum 2 weeks straight prior to sale day with potential of long hours depending on size of sale. The company is all about sales and operations team can be left out in cold on customer issues.

Have better training environments other than conference calls for operation positions

Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers Photos