Rite Aid

Updated February 26, 2015
2.9

Rite Aid President, CEO, and Director John T. Standley
John T. Standley

Pros
  • Flexible hours,like you got anywhere from 300-450 hours as an intern, pretty flexible (in 33 reviews)

• good pay compared to the other big chains, good computer system and interface (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not understand what is happening at store level or seem to care (in 82 reviews)

• resets etc while giving good customer service along with everything else (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

22 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

I Feel This is A Community of 'Friendly Neighbors'

Current Employee - Pharmacy Cashier and Tech in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Cashier and Tech in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Rite Aid

Pros

I really enjoy the interaction with the customers! I really like my co-workers and feel that everybody from employees to the customers are just so friendly! I like the fact that I get to promote health and well-being. From working on an RX to the sales, to the calling of customers to say that it is ready to be picked up, feel that I am promoting them live well and healthfully! I am helping their well-being! I like the environment and all the products that they offer. I like the fact that there is flexibility in scheduling and in the fact that it may be possible to transfer from store to store. Sometimes, I work a first and sometimes a second. Sometimes, it is nice to have a day off in the middle of the week.

Cons

The pay per hour definitely is a con. Not sure how they think that people can live for an extended period of time on what they pay! Being a pharmacy cashier/ tech is no easy task!! I want to see how many other people can work the drive through, answer the phone, make sales at the register, do dropoffs, input prescriptions, answer more phone calls, count medications, put the medications away, enter orders, and the tasks go on and on!! It is challenging!

Please, we need better pay and no cut in hours! How do you expect to keep people. I enjoy it ! It is a challenge I like, but to pay little and then cut hours on top of that!! I know I cannot do two jobs either. 1. Too stressful on myself 2.) The changes from day to day and week to week of schedules. In a way I like this flexibility ~having some mornings open, as well as evenings and most weekends. How can we even get another job with this though?

Don't work for Rite Aid unless you are comfortable with Customer Service!

Former Employee - Wellness Ambassador in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Wellness Ambassador in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Rite Aid full-time

Pros

Convenience - Rite Aid is everywhere and you can find a job very close to home without traveling too far

If you are comfortable with customer service and are a people person, working at Rite Aid would be heaven to you! It doesn't matter what job you take. Even the pharmacists need to have good customer services skills in order to build a good relationship with patients and keep them coming back.

Cons

If you don't like customer service and don't like talking to people, then don't work at Rite Aid! All you do everyday is dealing with chatty, confused, or rude customers.

If you aren't a Pharmacist (who earns more than 100,000 a year) or a store manager (at least 40,000 a year), then you are basically earning less than $10 per hour. I was the Wellness Ambassador and they were going to offer me $10/hour, and I had to fight them to raise that to $12/hour. (I ended up leaving six months later after getting tired of rude co-workers and customers)

Lastly, job advancement and health benefits are TERRIBLE! Even the Pharmacist complains that the health insurance Rite AId offers is so expensive and doesn't do anything for you.

Pays bills... barely

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Slippery Rock, PA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Slippery Rock, PA

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It pays my bills, thankfully my spouse has a better job.

Cons

The company does not care about you, they only care about the customer 1000% and whether or not they will come back.

Get with the real world, happy employees will work harder. Maybe stop asking us what we think and actually act on those things.

I wouldn't tell my worst enemy to apply here

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Rite Aid full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They recognize you for going above and beyond, pretty good with giving you days off that you request, most co-workers were great

Cons

Pay isn't nearly enough for what you have to put up with, "raises" are a joke, upper management and HR are sneaky

Management that cares.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice people, opportunities to grow, happy work environment.

Cons

Difficult to work in retail due to some customers. Compensation is just okay.

Rite Aid employment

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kittanning, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kittanning, PA

I worked at Rite Aid part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

many in-job opportunities, growth opportunities, flexible management

Cons

Some misunderstandings with management at times

Take time to listen to and understand your employees

Excellent work environment

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Rite Aid part-time (more than a year)

Pros

They truly take the time to train you on each area of the job. There is also room for growth. I was promoted to shift supervisor after 6 months with the company.

Cons

It can imagine it would be difficult to get a great deal of hours if the store is slower. My store was in a high-traffic area so hours were never a problem.

Keep up the good work!

rite aid-good company overall

Former Employee - Pharmacist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Rite Aid full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

pay well when first with company

Cons

not good to older managemebt

company good to younger employees

Good store management, poor district management

Former Employee - Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Rite Aid part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The Rite Aid store I worked for had a very good, caring manager. Good ground level exposure to retail and consumer products.

Cons

The Assistant Managers tended to be young and lazy and this bad influence would spread to the younger associates. The district manager was distant and did not interact well with the staff.

Upper management should have more interaction with lower level employees and provide more open forums for their ideas and suggestions.

It could be so much better...

Current Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have control of my schedule. Company does care about work/life balance.

Cons

Little to no training at all positions. Company doesn't seem to what to promote anyone at the store manager position to DM. Constantly hiring from outside the company to fill those positions.