www.riteaid.com

Updated November 19, 2014
2.7

Rite Aid President, CEO, and Director John T. Standley
John T. Standley

Pros
  • Flexible hours,like you got anywhere from 300-450 hours as an intern, pretty flexible (in 31 reviews)

• good pay compared to the other big chains, good computer system and interface (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management are completely disconnected from the reality of store retail (in 79 reviews)

• resets etc while giving good customer service along with everything else (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience

Former Employee - Cashier in Kentwood, MI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Kentwood, MI

I worked at Rite Aid part-time (more than an year)

Pros

My management staff was very friendly and good to work with. I did have one supervisor who would always touch my back from time to time, but reporting it to the store manager solved that problem very quickly. I worked there for over a year and despite this I received a 2% pay increase before I quit. From what the manager told me based on our performance she could recommend us for a 0-3% increase, yet it was up to the district manager to approve it. There was always either the store manager or one of four shift supervisors there at all times, and all of them would immediately respond to your paging.

Cons

At my store anyway, the store manager had a zero-call out policy, no matter how sick you were or what transpired (although she did allow one of the other cashiers to take the day off when a relative passed away.) So when I was out of town and an emergency happened with my girlfriend and I had no ride to get home, I called my shift supervisor and a coworker to see if I could get my shift covered, and they said yes. However, my store manager soon called me and demanded that I come in, despite the arrangements I had just made. An argument with her over my situation is what led me to quit. I really loved working at Rite Aid, I thought it was one of the best jobs I had ever had but all good things must come to an end, I suppose. During my annual review she told me she didn't feel I was ready for a promotion, but recently an interview with Walgreens has proven her wrong. I start as a shift leader next week :)

Amazing

Current Employee - Pharmacy Cashier in Fairfield, CT
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Cashier in Fairfield, CT

I have been working at Rite Aid part-time (less than an year)

Pros

great way to make new friends the employees are nice and loving and welcoming

Cons

the rude customers and some times things are all over the place

Enjoy working at the DC

Current Employee - Human Resources Administrator
    Current Employee - Human Resources Administrator

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best thing about working for Rite Aid is the flexibility of hours we have in my department. There are a lot of different functions we can get involved in so we can learn a very broad range of functions.

Cons

Associates are promoted because they are "liked" more than someone with skills and experience. They are willing to loose a good employee for the lack of offering promotions or even raises.

Offer management positions to qualified hourly associates and don't discount them because they are hourly. Your going to loose some good people.

Students beware.

Current Employee - Cashier in Rosslyn, VA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Rosslyn, VA

I have been working at Rite Aid part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good opportunities for advancement to shift manager.

Cons

Jealous, conniving coworkers who complain about your school schedule.

Don't be afraid to protect your employees.

It's a job

Current Employee - Cashier in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Cashier in New York, NY

I have been working at Rite Aid part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Paychecks make the best of it, customers as well.

Cons

More work than what youre getting paid for.

Appericate your employees.

Upper management sucks

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Rite Aid part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Learn some experience
    Simple job/tasks as long as you have the correct management on the store level to guide you
    Easy to advance up the ladder

Cons

Upper management, store manager's boss, doesn't provide enough hours to achieve the necessary things that need to be done.
    The company values the customer but doesn't give the means to help them the best they could.
    Asks for more done that hours given to do them

In regards to the pharmacy, allocate more hours to the stores that have a higher volume. Don't do the bare minimum to get the store by.
    They need a reality check in what they're asking compared to the number of hours they give to complete it.

Low wages, large workload

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Rite Aid

Pros

Always looking for associates and a pretty good chance of promotion if you're willing to work due to high turnover rates.

Cons

Stores open holidays, high volume workload, payroll cuts, associates constantly getting sick from customers, no real employee discount - just 20% off like customers get, high turnover rate.

Take care of retail associates. We are always overlooked, overworked, and underappreciated!

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Orleans, MA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Orleans, MA

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good company to work for.

Cons

Non to report. Company has been good to me

Wonderful Benefits. Morale is poor.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in North Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in North Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Insurance and Rx coverage is amazing. I enjoy that variety of tasks to do & not being stuck behind a desk for 8 hours a day.

Cons

Where do I start? Store manager expects cashiers to do tasks that only shift supervisors (and up) are supposed to do (ie. freshness/out of date report, ordering, cycle counts). I left CVS in 2004 (for an office job). I made $10/hr at the time at CVS. The company I went to work for was sold and I lost my job...went to work for Riteaid (3 weeks later). HR told me I'd be making $11-$13/hr on the lower end of the management scale (I made around $20/hr with my salary plus commission at the prior office job). NOPE, the store manager said that most he could start me out was $9.75. 3 years later, I make around $10.15/hr. My raise doesn't even cover the yearly increase of health insurance.
    Our manager was suspended for a week for sexual harassment, cussing at employees, calling people fat & stupid & creating a hostile work environment. The company hired a lawyer and she met with most of the employees. It was SUPPOSED to be confidential. Well, he let it be known that he knew everything that was said and who said what. It's disturbing that the lower level employees (cashiers and shift supervisors) were betrayed by a dept that is supposed to protect us. Our store is smack dab in a drug infested area and our asset protection representative hasn't been there in over a month.
    Breaks: We are required to take a 30 minutes lunch break when we work 6 hours or more. The non-smokers sometimes will take short breaks sitting in the office for a few minutes....however, if you smoke, you can't go out for 5 minutes for a quick smoke. What's the difference between sitting in the office on the phone for 10 minutes or more on a non work related matter and someone taking a 5 minute smoke break? It's falls under the guidelines of discrimination if you ask me.
    I've had to leave a certain time (that I was scheduled to get off) before & my relief (the store manager) was over 30 minutes late and didn't even give me the courtesy to let me know he was going to be late. YET HE WRITES PEOPLE UP FOR BEING LATE. Very hypocritical.

Other than the joke of the RAPTAR program, give us more positive feedback. Have employee appreciate day(s) where we get 30% off on pay day or the day after... Also, it would be nice to give us a $3-$5 allowance for employees to get a soda/water and a snack. A lot of fast food companies allow their employees one free meal/shift they work. I know rite aid has to have more money in their budget (that fast food companies) to do something like this.

Assistant manager

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Rite Aid

Pros

Hours, medical, benefits, hours, change

Cons

Management movement
    More hours