Rite Aid

Updated August 19, 2014

2.8

Rite Aid President, CEO, and Director John T. Standley
John T. Standley

Pros
  • good pay compared to the other big chains, good computer system and interface (in 32 reviews)

• Great benefits, if you work at a union store, flexible hours (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is determined to turn a profit at whatever costs (in 68 reviews)

• resets etc while giving good customer service along with everything else (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

has been employed for 11 months. way too much of favoritism

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

Pros

you need to be at least assistant store manager to have more or less decent paycheck

Cons

worse than Walmart. shirt version is -very bad place 2 be

no favoritism. more equal opportunities

Good for Experience, bad for Employees

Former Employee - Front End Cashier  in  Somers Point, NJ
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Somers Point, NJ

Pros

The job is very easy to do. In my environment setting which was in a small town where we had regulars and very friendly people, it was great. Everyone was friendly. You have your occasional bad encounter, but it happens in this line of work. The employees were all great people, easy to get along with. Good for first time workings.

Cons

Maybe its just the Rite Aid I worked at, but I was paid very little to just stand there working the register for dull hour after hour, never allowed to do more than check out customers. I don't know if I just sucked at organizing the aisles or what, but they would put other employees over me on the floor and leave me to be bored to tears. I got my tiny little paycheck every two weeks for a part time employee. Also, they out us in a place where the sun was constantly shining in someone's eyes in the spring, and no matter how many times we asked, they did nothing about it, so the customers were forced to be blinded for an hour in the morning and the cashiers for an hour in the evening. They will also make you work through hurricanes, but whether this is a con or a pro is up to you since stores that stay open even through that really helps others in need, but it also puts you in harms way. Over all, I would never work for these people again.

PUT BLINDS UP FOR CHRISTS SAKE!

Retail is not for everyone

Current Employee - Rite Aid Shift Supervisor  in  Levittown, PA
    Current Employee - Rite Aid Shift Supervisor in Levittown, PA

Pros

I wouldn't say their are many pros. You get a paycheck. I work with a great group of people and some of our regular customers can be very friendly.

Cons

1) The employee discount is nothing special. You get 20% off regular retail price. If an item is on sale for more that the 20% you get the sale price without the discount. The down side is that customers can earn the same exact rewards. So, what is the point of of the 20% if everyone can have have it. Quarterly, Rite Aid offers a 30% off day for their employees. This is just a ploy to get their workforce to purchase product from them. Unless you are buying a bunch of items for a high dollar amount, the difference in savings in not very much.

2) Pay for Rite Aids store associates are far below that of their competitors. In the same position at CVS you can make 10% more per hour, and at Walgreen's you can make almost 20%.

3) In my years of working for this company I have seen my upper management break their own policy just to make a buck, kneel to customer pressure, and allow scams without a care on how to avoid it. All of this on multiple occasions. For example, my Loss Prevention Manager said that even though I saw one of my regular customers purchase and distribute cigarettes to a minor there is nothing I can do because it happened in the parking lot and not inside the store. This goes against Rite Aid policy that says not to sell if you believe the customers intends to distribute to a minor.

4) There is not "time and a half" for holidays. You receive "Holiday Pay' which is based off whether or not you are full time or part time, regardless if you work on a holiday or not, everyone gets either 4 or 8 hours of Holiday Pay. If you are unlucky enough to be working, you get your normal rate. The only thanks you get is a Certificate of Appreciation.

5) When a customer has an issue the first person they blame is the employee in front of them. This can be anything from a person looking for an item that has not been sold in years, they didn't make it to the store before the pharmacy closed, or they price of an item is more than what they thought. Some people believe that just because you work for the store you have control over what is sold on the shelves, hours of operation, and pricing of the items.

I would not recommend this job for anyone. You have the responsibility of 5 people with the pay of not even one and you get harassed by customers and management.

My advice to the management of Rite Aid is to keep in mind that your associates are more than just an employee number. We have lives. I have seen upper management force more and more responsibilities and take away hours, then complain because the work is not done.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wouldn't recommend it... They are always expecting way more than ANYONE could do.

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician

Pros

The people I work with are all great. Everyone knows what needs to be done and are always working. We work together like family.

Cons

The people that make the "rules" have obviously net worked in a pharmacy in at least 20 years. They want to give you no hours and expect you to get everything done. It's not possible. And how do you make people get flu shots if they don't want them. It's ridiculous that they make us ask people in July if they want a flu shot. I know I don't want mine yet!!

You can't expect employees to get things done and be pleasant when we are working ourselves to death. The person inputting prescription should not be expected to stop and ring people out when they have "waiters" and most of the time it is impossible to finish a prescription in 15 minutes. We are constantly interrupted to ring register, and answer phones. The pharmacist has questions on the phone, at the drive thru, at the pick up window and at the drop off window. It is not safe to even try to fill a prescription in 15 minutes. When I go home from work, I am completely exhausted, but I still have family obligations. I should not be in tears when I leave work. The people that make the rules and expect things to be done or an unreal amount of flu shots, need to work in a store for a week and see if they can meet their own expectations!

Horrible

Former Employee - Pharmacist  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in Miami, FL

Pros

None. Giving people a paycheck for their work cannot he considered a pro, and that's about the only normal thing they did.

Cons

Discrimination, lack of respect, HR and management do not respond to complaints thinking they will go away by themselves. Retaliation by pharmacy manager due to reporting his prescription filling mistakes as is required by policy, and HR did nothing. Discrimination due to nationality, being treated like trash by foreign citizen managers due to not being a US citizen, so only US citizen employees are respected and foreigner employees get treated like trash. Unbelievably high work load with no available staff to work, everyone's quitting because they're sick of the company, so when someone calls in sick they have no replacements and those who show up to work and do two or three people's work later get asked why all the work wasn't done in the appropriate time!!!! How about NO ONE SHOWED UP TO WORK, SO TALK TO THEM INSTEAD OF BLAMING THE PEOPLE THAT ACTUALLY SHOWED UP!!!
    I voluntarily resigned due to all of this nonsense.

Treat everyone equally with equal respect. Stop discriminating against employees. Just because some of you are foreigners does not mean you have to mistreat foreigner employees to prove you're not biased towards them. I did not deal with any racist US citizen managers, they were good people, all the ones who were discriminating against me due to being a foreigner were foreigners themselves! Understand that people who work there are not slaves, so they will leave like I did when they are not being treated fairly, and you can go ahead and try and find someone else to put up with this nonsense.

After 7 years, I hate my job more every day because of the way I'm treated by Rite Aid.

Current Employee - Front End Cashier
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier

Pros

Good benefits and pretty decent pay! Besides that, I can't really think of any pros. Then only pros are pay and benefits but actually working there is a very negative experience.

Cons

Rite aid doesn't care about their employees at all. The people that work in corporate have no idea what it's like to work at store level. They make us follow strict rules, but if the rules make a customer angry enough to call corporate and complain, we have to personally call the customer and apologize and give them a gift card. It makes the employees look very stupid and poorly trained, not to mention it is a slap in the face for following stupid corporate rules.

Work at store level. Don't assume everything you want us to do is reasonable. Most of the things we are supposed to say at the register to our customers only frustrates them and they don't want is to be robots and give them a speech everytime they shop there. You will never understand how these things work if you don't know what it's like to work at store level.

It was not a very good experience to work for this company.

Former Employee - Pharmacist  in  Anderson, SC
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in Anderson, SC

Pros

Bnefits are decent, no growth beyond district managers, time-off very hard to get du to lack of pharmacists, was not very happy at all, so didn't see many pros.

Cons

poor work conditions, lack of staffing, poor budget to work with allocated to to the pharmacies, poor training, lack of training, poor help desk support, poor district managers, poor schedulers

better training for new staff, don't say somthing that you know is not going to transpire, better training for upper management, if not the chain is not going to survive

No control over some managers in MD

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Suitland, MD
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Suitland, MD

Pros

It's one of the best retail companies in US, good pay comparing to others, opportunity to get promoted.

Cons

No control over some managers and District managers, their decisions will take the company down, there's no respect to employees, it's same slavery job like any other place.

Your managers don't care about the company and they treat employees like slaves, none cares, especially in very dangerous areas such as Maryland, where customers steal too much.

Rite Aid need a lot of improvement

Former Employee - Cashier/Clerk  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Clerk in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

To me . . The only pros was that the discount came in handy sometimes & you could easily get hours if you wanted . There was no point in getting hours because it was the worst pay ever . Not at all worth the effort that they want given .

Cons

What you read in the job description is part if what you will have to do . You'll learn everything . They aren't paying me to learn those thing . Why should I have to ?

bad

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Passaic, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Passaic, NJ

Pros

not good bosses too untrained

Cons

great for meeting new people

learn how to treat your workers

Worked for Rite Aid? Contribute to the Community!