Rite Aid

2.7
1,025 Reviews

Rite Aid President, CEO, and Director John T. Standley
John T. Standley

Pros
  • Flexible hours,like you got anywhere from 300-450 hours as an intern, pretty flexible (in 33 reviews)

• good pay compared to the other big chains, good computer system and interface (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not understand what is happening at store level or seem to care (in 82 reviews)

• resets etc while giving good customer service along with everything else (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Uncomfortable, always fearful of job lost

Former Employee - Warehouse in Lancaster, CA
    Former Employee - Warehouse in Lancaster, CA

I worked at Rite Aid full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The associates are great to work with.

Cons

Poor treatment of the workers. Associates treated like second rate people. Associates are not respected or acknowledge for their ideas .

Respect the associates and treat them dignity and respect. Get rid of the senior managers.

If you do not have family...this is the job for you.

Current Employee - "Supervisor" (This Was the Title)
    Current Employee - "Supervisor" (This Was the Title)

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It gives you a great title.

Cons

Due to under staffing, every customer becomes a burden not an asset (they take away time to work getting done. In other words, the boss multitasks you so much that you view the customer as an interruption. This is just crazy. This creates a twisted...'customer is a burden' culture.

No advice....You must heal yourselves. A twisted culture is what you have. I will say that you should not blame subordinates whom are slower in getting your little tasks done because they were trying to help customers.

Burnout.

Former Employee - Pharmacy Manager in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Manager in Newark, NJ

I worked at Rite Aid full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The customers. The salary. the be nefits

Cons

Poor administraTION, poor appropriation of money management. Do not respect their workers.

See cons.

Store manager ..not good experience at all. Dm not there to assist ever..Noone is a team .You stand alone.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Making your own schedule .never seeing D.M. Good employees.

Cons

Not enough payroll hours. D.M never around. Hr does not have your back. Payroll always an issue. Not enough workers due to payroll hrs all work to be done by managers. Horrible managers. Call outs excessive forcing store manager to work doubles etc.

Care about the people that are working for you. Allow the manager to actually manage instead of being a cashier.or truck pusher

Pharmacy Intern

Former Employee - Pharmacy Intern in Davis, CA
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Intern in Davis, CA

I worked at Rite Aid as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Being able to interact with many people.

Cons

Not enough learning opportunities.
    Minimal interactions with co workers.

Back stabbing

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun to interact with customers benefits are ok

Cons

Management is not union a lot of bull and HR will not have your back because of union rules. You cannot make a schedule as per the store needs but have to make it on seniority so u have a usless cashier who has been there for 10 years soaking up all your hours because there full time and u never have enough hours to run ur store properly, A lot is put in the managers hands including billing ur suppose to work a 40 hr week but it's impossible it usually averages about 60 hr

Protect your managers from Union

You don’t get paid to think you get paid to do what they tell you to do

I have been working at Rite Aid

Pros

They are willing to work around school for the most part.

Cons

Management is horrible at there jobs all of them are over worked and have little to no healthy motivational tools.

Be more involved with they entry level employees. example, knowing there name, don't read there name off their name tags.

Continuous nagging from corporate ruins every aspect of our store climate.

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Sylvania, OH
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Sylvania, OH

I have been working at Rite Aid part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to many aspects of healthcare that ensures a comprehensive understanding of the US healthcare system. Compensation starts out fair for a beginner but severely flatlines quickly. My pharmacy manager and team all together are fantastic and we all get along.

Cons

Corporate is relentless with their policies. It seems as though every week we receive communication of something new we must do; without giving us the tools to apply it or compensation. Our pharmacy is cluttered with useless signs, bins, filing boxes, etc...and they must be in the proper position or else a visit from PDM or corporate will result in a "yellow". Customer service is the number one priority for the guys upstairs; and we must fill prescriptions no matter what. There is ZERO emphasis on QA by the pharmacist....it's not even a factor, which is atrocious to say the least.

Pay is not worth the slave-boy I am told (by corporate, not my manager) to be. It's a constant back/forth/back/forth from 11am - ~6pm. It's similar to a clothing store in a mall. Three years with the company and less than a dollar pay raise. Really? I've filled in many times at 5 other locations and at each and every one of them had the negative work environment as my store; and thus it is a corporate level issue vs. store level. There's nothing to strive for in this job, there's no such thing as looking forward to going in to work. Simply put "I work XX-day" from a technician is ALWAYS a negative sentiment.

Also, most importantly, please for the sake of the patients lower prices on everything in the store. It's absolutely revolting having to charge someone $9.99 for a script they could get at walmart or costco for $4.

Follow federal law on pharmaceutical stores more than your own delusional and counter intuitive policies. Fix the inventory replenishment DC order, give us a better register system and replace the dinosaurs we currently have, pay us fairly according to our work, make performance reviews USEFUL, get rid of "6 basket rule" & "15 min or less QA", renovate our pharmacy....I can go on and on. If anyone up there is reading this please even out the playing field in terms of performance, compensation, efficiency, and patient care.

Do as I say, not as I do.

I worked at Rite Aid

Pros

The salary is not bad and benefits are pretty good. Part time employees are eligible for benefits as well thanks to the union.

Cons

There is never sufficient payroll to run the store effectively. The company doesn't provide the right tools to do your job and still uses severely outdated and inefficient software. Corporate management likes to preach having a high regard for the employees but when it comes down to it, store management is treated quite poorly.

Give the stores the tools they need to do their job and provide safer working conditions, incuding ergonomic work stations.

Understaffed and Underpaid

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor

I worked at Rite Aid part-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a lot of room for advancement in the company. You get a 20% employee discount on almost everything except prescriptions. If you like to stay busy at your job, this is a great company to work for. There is never any down time. There are tons of jobs and tasks to be done on a daily basis. In the union stores there are great benefits for even part-time workers - health, dental, and vision. Most managers are very flexible with working with your time-off requests.

Cons

There is a high turnover rate due to burnout form being overworked, stressed, and underpaid. Customer service is suppose to be your number one priority, but there is not enough employees in the store to spend time with the customers. It is usually only one manager and one cashier. It is so busy, and there are so many jobs to do that you feel like you are rushing each customer. Most of the time you feel like you're running around like a chicken with it's head chopped off.

Increase hours available to store managers so that they can provide the proper amount of staffing for their stores!!