Rite Aid

2.7
1,077 Reviews

Rite Aid President, CEO, and Director John T. Standley
John T. Standley

Pros
  • Flexible hours,like you got anywhere from 300-450 hours as an intern, pretty flexible (in 33 reviews)

• good pay compared to the other big chains, good computer system and interface (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not understand what is happening at store level or seem to care (in 82 reviews)

• resets etc while giving good customer service along with everything else (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

you must work very hard,especially on weekend,has no tech, you must handle by yourself every thing.

Former Employee - Staff Pharmacist in East Hemet, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Pharmacist in East Hemet, CA

I worked at Rite Aid full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good pay for overtime.They don't mind that you get mistake punch in early for 1-2 minutes

Cons

12 hours long shift make you very easy get wrong drug,wrong typing mistake ,not only you but,tech has a lot of mistakes which you have to watch all the times. be careful work in Rite Aid.

Less than exciting.

Former Employee - Floor Clerk in Hood River, OR
    Former Employee - Floor Clerk in Hood River, OR

I worked at Rite Aid full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Experience in retail.
    Friendly atmosphere.
    Discounts on products.

Cons

Outdated technology
    Bad management
    Not flexible hours.

Less video training and more hands-on.

Find a different employer

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Flint, MI
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Flint, MI

I have been working at Rite Aid part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Gain experience working with the public.

Cons

Bad pay, bad managing, company does not care about employees, overall terrible place to work.

has been employed for 11 months. way too much of favoritism

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time (less than a year)

Pros

you need to be at least assistant store manager to have more or less decent paycheck

Cons

worse than Walmart. shirt version is -very bad place 2 be

no favoritism. more equal opportunities

Good luck to those of you still there.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Rite Aid full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pay checks didn't bounce. Enjoyed the mispelling of the first name of the company. Should have been a sign that when they took over, this wasn't the "rite" job.

Cons

Increasing demands, increased workload, increased expectations. Every year. And decreased payroll. Every year. Worked for over 20 yrs as a manager. And spent the last 5 acting more as a cashier, stocker, ice cream scooper, bookeeper, photo tech, facer, filling coolers, sweeping, mopping, cleaning toilets, maintenance man, asset protection and having to read emails on the portal "3-5 times a day" per the dm. In case they needed to pass on information. Yet they didn't answer the phone when you called to pass on urgent information.

Read the first four sentences of the above cons section. Now read them again. Keep reading them until it sinks in that the above mentioned formula had a fatal flaw. Increase demands/workload, increase expectations and decreased manpower to execute. That's going to work how? Guess I'm the one wrong. ... Just a dumb store manager. All I did was lift heavy stuff and sell asprin. GT.

Good for Experience, bad for Employees

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Somers Point, NJ
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Somers Point, NJ

I worked at Rite Aid part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The job is very easy to do. In my environment setting which was in a small town where we had regulars and very friendly people, it was great. Everyone was friendly. You have your occasional bad encounter, but it happens in this line of work. The employees were all great people, easy to get along with. Good for first time workings.

Cons

Maybe its just the Rite Aid I worked at, but I was paid very little to just stand there working the register for dull hour after hour, never allowed to do more than check out customers. I don't know if I just sucked at organizing the aisles or what, but they would put other employees over me on the floor and leave me to be bored to tears. I got my tiny little paycheck every two weeks for a part time employee. Also, they out us in a place where the sun was constantly shining in someone's eyes in the spring, and no matter how many times we asked, they did nothing about it, so the customers were forced to be blinded for an hour in the morning and the cashiers for an hour in the evening. They will also make you work through hurricanes, but whether this is a con or a pro is up to you since stores that stay open even through that really helps others in need, but it also puts you in harms way. Over all, I would never work for these people again.

PUT BLINDS UP FOR CHRISTS SAKE!

Retail is not for everyone

Current Employee - Rite Aid Shift Supervisor in Levittown, PA
    Current Employee - Rite Aid Shift Supervisor in Levittown, PA

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I wouldn't say their are many pros. You get a paycheck. I work with a great group of people and some of our regular customers can be very friendly.

Cons

1) The employee discount is nothing special. You get 20% off regular retail price. If an item is on sale for more that the 20% you get the sale price without the discount. The down side is that customers can earn the same exact rewards. So, what is the point of of the 20% if everyone can have have it. Quarterly, Rite Aid offers a 30% off day for their employees. This is just a ploy to get their workforce to purchase product from them. Unless you are buying a bunch of items for a high dollar amount, the difference in savings in not very much.

2) Pay for Rite Aids store associates are far below that of their competitors. In the same position at CVS you can make 10% more per hour, and at Walgreen's you can make almost 20%.

3) In my years of working for this company I have seen my upper management break their own policy just to make a buck, kneel to customer pressure, and allow scams without a care on how to avoid it. All of this on multiple occasions. For example, my Loss Prevention Manager said that even though I saw one of my regular customers purchase and distribute cigarettes to a minor there is nothing I can do because it happened in the parking lot and not inside the store. This goes against Rite Aid policy that says not to sell if you believe the customers intends to distribute to a minor.

4) There is not "time and a half" for holidays. You receive "Holiday Pay' which is based off whether or not you are full time or part time, regardless if you work on a holiday or not, everyone gets either 4 or 8 hours of Holiday Pay. If you are unlucky enough to be working, you get your normal rate. The only thanks you get is a Certificate of Appreciation.

5) When a customer has an issue the first person they blame is the employee in front of them. This can be anything from a person looking for an item that has not been sold in years, they didn't make it to the store before the pharmacy closed, or they price of an item is more than what they thought. Some people believe that just because you work for the store you have control over what is sold on the shelves, hours of operation, and pricing of the items.

I would not recommend this job for anyone. You have the responsibility of 5 people with the pay of not even one and you get harassed by customers and management.

My advice to the management of Rite Aid is to keep in mind that your associates are more than just an employee number. We have lives. I have seen upper management force more and more responsibilities and take away hours, then complain because the work is not done.

Laid back job but inflexible for employees

I have been working at Rite Aid part-time

Pros

Its a laid back kind of job.
    Not so busy at work (except peak hours)

Cons

Very inflexible with schedules.
    Extremely less facilities for employees at work
    They don't reward their employees at all.
    Pay is very low. Expecting raise in salary over time, then look somewhere else.

Provide some facilities and flexibilities to associates. Associates are assets and fundamentals of any effective business strategy.

Good job to have while going to school.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Rite Aid full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Manager was willing to accommodate school schedule.

Cons

No recognition or reward for hard work.

Encourage employees with recognition for going above and beyond in their jobs. Make sure each store is properly staffed.

No Communication

I worked at Rite Aid full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work is easy if you actually try. Co-workers are usually friendly

Cons

Terrible pay, upper management doesn't understand anything that happens at store level and makes requirements that are extremely difficult/impossible to reach goal wise. Don't expect to get promoted, or have any significant pay raises.

Increase communication, make an attempt to actually understand each stores individual circumstances instead of creating a general requirement that may be impossible to reach due to the limitations of the location. Do not punish or negatively criticize your employees for your own impossible goals.