Rite Aid Reviews

Updated October 21, 2014
2.8

Rite Aid President, CEO, and Director John T. Standley
John T. Standley

Pros
  • Flexible hours,like you got anywhere from 300-450 hours as an intern, pretty flexible (in 29 reviews)

• good pay compared to the other big chains, good computer system and interface (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management are completely disconnected from the reality of store retail (in 77 reviews)

• resets etc while giving good customer service along with everything else (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

good place to start

I have been working at Rite Aid

Pros

cheapest of the major pharmacy chains/easiest to get a job at

Cons

lowest paying pharmacy for starting pharm techs

Decent place to work.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Rite Aid full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Solid job, nice personnel, and fun place to work (sometimes)

Cons

Constantly on-your-feet. Shift Supervisors perform the work of store managers, but get paid half as much.

Listen to employees more often

A great place to work

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Monson, MA
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Monson, MA

I have been working at Rite Aid part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people here are a real team and it is both challenging, changing and a good learning experience.

Cons

Nothing. Our benefits are good and if anything the training could be improved but is sufficient.

I liked working here, except the pay wasn't worth the workload due to under staff.

Current Employee - Cashier/Stock in Astoria, NY
    Current Employee - Cashier/Stock in Astoria, NY

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I liked it for most part, especially since I was able to work the night shift as I had school during the morning. The customers were mostly pleasing except for that one customer you get here and there. I was a sales associate and a cashier sometimes due to under staff. Unloading the totes was easy and basic, so were the registers.

Cons

Due to it being under staff, I got the glimpse of both, when it was fully staffed and when it wasn't. Carrying heavy boxes from the basement to the ground floor was pretty harsh. We would be around four workers in total during the night shift, when there used to be around 8, as it tends to get busy at night as well. I was told I needed to clean the bathrooms, and the office where the managers stayed. It was clear that I wasn't going to do it, and some of the morning staff and as well as night staff have a stingy attitude.

As far as I'm concerned, most of the night shift managers were pretty easy going. There are times that they would walk in with an attitude (we all have bad days, especially since we were all students). As for the morning shift managers, they would always come in late and with a nasty attitude, demanding the night shift to do what they wanted when it was obvious our shifts were over.

review

I have been working at Rite Aid

Pros

ok pay, nice schedule, pdm is nice

Cons

lack of help, constantly changing policies

Ok company

I have been working at Rite Aid

Pros

Great benefits for full time employees

Cons

I know part time employees may not get enough hours.

Non

Slave drivers

Former Employee - Pharmacy Cashier
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Cashier

I worked at Rite Aid full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Best reasons to work here: there aren't any.

Cons

Terrible staffing, budgets cuts, horrid pay, lead in fear, don't train well, no management backup.

Honestly, the higher ups should have to work in our stores at cashier level for a month every year to understand how poorly their stores run and how employees are treated. How is a store supposed to run if hours are being cut left and right and would rather spend money on remodels than providing customer service they so highly expect on top of all the extra work they expect to be done by closing? People walk out of our stores because our lines are so long. Because there aren't enough employees to help. Then people get mad there's no one on the floor to help them find things...then they get mad no ones up front to ring them up because they are on the floor. Well, if you gave enough hours to have appropriate staff to get trucks, ice cream, floor people, cashiers and managerial staff youd realize you would have a great running store. But we have to make sacrifices and hope we don't get Into trouble because facing isn't done so we can help the customers that don't stop coming in. Training is abysmal. Cbts isn't training!!!! And no one pays attention to them anyway!!! Why do you think people mess up and you have everyone retake them?! Because it isn't proper training. Which brings us back exactly to staffing. If you had the staff and the hours, you could provide REAL training. Throwing a newcomer on the register and saying good luck while everyone else is busy with customers isn't how you help train someone. It's pitiful.

Horrible company to work for

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time

Pros

Good benefits
    Free flu shots
    Good holiday pay IF FULLTIME

Cons

Too much work for little pay
    Unprofessional
    No overtime

I have been working with rite aid for a couple of years now and i absolutely HATE my job im a mother with a child only making $9 an hr. And im a assiant manager! Its extremely had working fulltime and still not making enough to support your own household

Really depends on the people.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor/Wellness Ambassador
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor/Wellness Ambassador

I worked at Rite Aid full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I had worked in two different stores in two different states over the course of 7.5 years. LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!!! This can be a wonderful place to work and a fun job with the right people and good district management. In the good store, we took what little Rite Aid gave us and made the most of it, turned our RAPTAR parties from sad little pizzas or boxes of donuts and turned them into some pretty awesome potluck parties in the back room. It's all about who you work with that makes the job suck or rock.... We got slammed with tons of work and resets and rules and regs but we worked and played on through it. We also had a pretty awesome district team that listened to us, respected opinions and actually worked with us to create positive changes in our store.

Cons

Onto the not so fun store..... There was sadly an "us and them" attitude between the pharmacy and the front of the store and it just put a black cloud over the whole place.... There was constant bickering and exclusionary behavior. Tons of "that's not my job" kind of stuff and absolutely no help from district management. If a problem was brought to their attention either the wrong person was attacked or you would get an "I'll get back to you with an answer on that" and the answer would never come. You were constantly yelled at or talked down to by the district manager, he rarely had anything positive to say. It's like that say, that stuff rolls downhill, DM yells at SM, they in turn yell at the shifts who go kick the cashiers and we all know who the cashiers have to take it out on..... Customer service struggled.

Treat your employees like people, not numbers. Listen to them, work with them, stop trying so hard to tow the corporate line. These two above examples should kind of show you, if there's problems, fix them, if they can't be fixed, shuffle people around if need be to get the best fits.... The right group together can achieve some amazing results. The pro store I listed was more like a mom and pop, tiny little place in a residential neighborhood, our sales were higher than the con store I mentioned that was five times the size and in a high traffic retail heavy area.

While I learned a great deal at Rite Aid, working pharmacy and front end, I would not go back.

Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Eugene, OR

I worked at Rite Aid part-time (less than an year)

Pros

With good management, the departments run smoothly. Schedules were flexible for students, and the work was simple and straightforward. Training was provided for all departments, and they were willing to hire untrained employees.

Cons

Pay is low, and when management is poor, structure falls apart very quickly. Not enough resources provided to the employees to do their jobs properly. For example, there would frequently not be enough people on shift to handle a particularly busy sale, or proper training not given on how to answer specific recurring questions to a new company policy change or promotion.

Listen to your employees, and pay attention when enough of them are reporting verbally abusive management. Understand that your employees regularly deal with agitated customers, and having to ask management questions on how to proceed during a busy day is less efficient than giving them the training when a new system or policy is launched.

It also wouldn't hurt to pay your employees a living wage. I was on food stamps while working in the pharmacy, because my hours were repeatedly cut with no warning or explanation other than "that's retail" being given.