Rite Aid Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
2.8

Rite Aid President, CEO, and Director John T. Standley
John T. Standley

Pros
  • Flexible hours,like you got anywhere from 300-450 hours as an intern, pretty flexible (in 29 reviews)

• good pay compared to the other big chains, good computer system and interface (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management are completely disconnected from the reality of store retail (in 77 reviews)

• resets etc while giving good customer service along with everything else (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

It's all about who you know and who likes you

Current Employee - Store Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people you work with make all the difference. I can honestly say the issues that we had or I should say I have had My district management team had my back. They are trying to get with the times which is good with technology I moved up pretty quickly. However its sometimes who you know and who likes you.

Cons

Money is low compared to competitors. But if you need a job its decent pay. Salaried means long hours especially when you have limited payroll. Sometimes your upper management aren't as sympathetic as they should be. Some of them were once in our shoes and I feel like they tend to forget that with the decisions they make.

Treat your store managers good and I promise it will trickle down. Find new and inventive ways to get your customers in the store because at our competitors walgreens to be specific, they have tons of payroll in the store at all times.

It's my Rite Aid and I don't love it

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor

I worked at Rite Aid part-time

Pros

Working at Rite Aid was a great high school/college job. I met a lot of great people and had a lot of fun.

Cons

Maximum of 2% raise a year (this worked out to be about $0.16 a year). Corporate expects too much out of employees and belittles them. District managers are put under so much pressure for good performance that they tend to be harsh on store employees. District managers see store employees as numbers, not people. (Although, some district managers are awesome, such as the one in the next district over from our district, but our's was not) Salaried managers are often expected to stay late and work way beyond their 45 hours a week. Overall, too much work with not enough payroll to cover it. Would never suggest working at Rite Aid to anyone.

Screen district managers better, the store should not be afraid when they walk into the store for a visit.

Unsatisfied

Current Employee - Asset Protection Agent in Norwalk, CA
    Current Employee - Asset Protection Agent in Norwalk, CA

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits were ok and Full Time Status

Cons

Family Leave and Medical Act is a joke

Over worked, under paid and under appreciated!

Former Employee - Store Manager in Willowick, OH
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Willowick, OH

I worked at Rite Aid full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Helping the customers find what they're looking for. I had the pleasure of getting to know many of the regular customers. Me saying HI to them by name and them saying HI to me, always was very special.

Cons

The pay was terrible for the amount of work that the company expected from you. The Regional Manager was causing a safety hazard in which I told him so and a week later I was out of a job. The company stressed safe working conditions but I guess when the RM starts knocking ice and water all over the tile floor, it's ok. They also nit pick and never compliment you but will always tell you what's wrong!!

All of the managers work very hard on a very tight budget. Positive reinforcement can go a long way. To properly run a store that is open 14 hours a day and 7 days a week needs a minimum of 300 employee hours, which includes the managers. Trying to run an efficient store on 240 total hours is nearly impossible.

VERY incompatible with home life.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Utica, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Utica, NY

I worked at Rite Aid full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Experience in management. Great place to get Your feet wet In Management, but that's all...

Cons

Long hours & crappy salary..

Read Sam Walton's book

Rite Aid is a reason pharmacists USED TO BE the most trusted profession!!

Former Employee - Pharmacist Manager
    Former Employee - Pharmacist Manager

I worked at Rite Aid full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You are awarded a deposit in your checking account every 2 weeks .

Cons

There is no respect for "truth" if it does not serve the business. Training is computer based and inadequate. Immunization training is even more inadequate.Technology is obsolete . The well being and safety of its associates is subordinate to Rx sales and immunization quotas. Management is 'smothered in tasks" that are humanly impossible to complete within a given work time frame. Overtime ( with no incentives) are mandatory..coercive "write-ups" are ever present as their "primary tools of motivation"Employees are driven by "fear to produce" in lieu of the desire to serve. Rite Aid is a primary example of Pharmacy as a "Dying Profession"

Truly support your workforce..Motivate with integrity, creativity and a a passion to serve.

No Opportunity to grow in the Pharmacy department

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I use to work for this company as a cashier/pharmacy technician. I started at minimum wage. Then I was promoted to a higher position. (Wellness Ambassador) and I got a raise to $10 an hour and I work there for 3 year. I just got that raise because of the position, but as a cashier or Pharmacy Tech they hardly increase your pay. I had a coworker that after she resigned because she found a job that offer her a higher pay at another pharmacy, my boss offer her to match the same pay so she can stay, but she refused.

Cons

No promotions, no bonus, no opportunity to grow.

N/A in the Pharmacy, unless you go to College to study to become a Pharmacist.

Keep on looking

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time

Pros

Smaller stores, workload compared to other drug store retailers is less.

Cons

Most markets your competing with a union. While workload is smaller than other companies, Recent changes made getting any tasks done next to impossible.

Stop cutting hours so drastically. Stop saving pennies when company should be saving dollars.

Are you ready to be under-appreciated?

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Loma Linda, CA
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Loma Linda, CA

I have been working at Rite Aid part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The store itself is very nice and pleasant to work in, and the management is flexible with hours while I'm in school. My fellow cashiers, and most of the supervisors, are very friendly.

Cons

The higher you go in the food chain, the worse the people get. The upper management doesn't care about treating its employees like dirt, anything to turn a profit. Hours are constantly being cut for cashiers, while the management maintains a steady 40+ hours. My manager is unprofessional and doesn't hesitate to yell at employees in front of customers, and say things to employees that frankly he has no right to say. Complaints to human resources are useless, they will ignore you entirely. This is a company that truly does not care about its employees, and views them as nothing more than money earning robots.

Refine you professionalism skills, stop treating your employees like dirt and start treating us like people. Also, consider telling employees BEFORE you hire them that the store is unionised and you will be required to pay almost $200 out of pocket for union membership, which is mandatory, and that you will have almost $30 deducted for union dues from every paycheck.

Pretty bad

Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician
    Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician

I worked at Rite Aid part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I seriously cannot think of anything good to say about the company. I worked here as a pharmacy tech for about 2 years part time.

Cons

They work you to death. At the mercy of the pharmacy manager. Management is awful, no appreciation for employees. Barely above minimum wage and they don't care if you are certified. People stay but I don't know why. The co-workers are nice but mostly we just shared a common dislike for our jobs. Stay away!

Pay your people what they deserve and then you won't have such high turnover. Treat the pharmacy team like medical professionals and not like retail slaves.